Skipping a Living World episode to add content?

Lonecap.4105

@Ameepa.6793 said:

@"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:Interesting results. Looks like the "casual crowd" who prefers to log in once an hour every few months to check out the story wins out over us playing daily.

Well, this LW preferring casual has been playing 12.500 hours over 2.287 days.

What repeatable content do you do typically, in an average day?

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Interesting results. Looks like the "casual crowd" who prefers to log in once an hour every few months to check out the story wins out over us playing daily.

Casual crowd things.

@"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:Interesting results. Looks like the "casual crowd" who prefers to log in once an hour every few months to check out the story wins out over us playing daily.

I think that's jumping to conclusions. You seem to be assuming that all regular players like meta-events and the only reason someone wouldn't want more is because they only log in occasionally. But you didn't ask about frequency of playing in the original post and I can't see how the comments support that conclusion.

No one has said they don't want more meta-events because they only log in to do living world episodes and don't want or have time for repeatable content. To me it seems like the main objection is actually that this would slow down the release of new content - which suggests the people saying it are playing more than enough to do all the new releases.

For what it's worth I log in most days and I voted against this. OK I "only" play for an hour or two a day which I realise is a lot less than some people, but it's closer to the daily play end of the scale than "an hour every few months", and as I said I like doing meta events. But I don't think every single map needs a meta event and I think it runs the risk of dividing the people who enjoy them too much and then that group of players ends up in the same situation as WvW, PvP, raids - complaining that there aren't enough people playing to support the content (which can already be a concern with some of the less popular metas). And just like WvW, PvP and raids forcing this type of content on people who have chosen not to do it isn't going to suddenly make them like it - it just adds to the maps they'll avoid and runs the risk of driving them out the game completely if they start to feel like GW2 is focused on content they don't like.

@Ameepa.6793 said:

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Interesting results. Looks like the "casual crowd" who prefers to log in once an hour every few months to check out the story wins out over us playing daily.

Casual crowd things.

can you be more specific? im honestly interested what can keep one playing 5-6h each day. whats your routine? i run out of activities after 1 hour/day.

@sigur.9453 said:

Casual crowd things.

can you be more specific? im honestly interested what can keep one playing 5-6h each day. whats your routine? i run out of activities after 1 hour/day.Why do you have to have a routine to play daily?

Personally, I play most days, and seldom less than 2-3 hours a day (with a lot more on the weekends/off days). I don't have a routine in game but play whatever catches my fancy that day. Dungeons (yes, I still very much enjoy those), story, exploration, wvw, checking out achievements I haven't done, playing with/helping out friends, or just find a map I enjoy that day and go around gathering materials and playing events.

That's the beauty of this game, there's always something to do, and it's always something different (unless you want it to be the same). I just started a new character yesterday (my 32nd), playing through the norn personal story with a friend. Last week, I started the s4e2 story with another friend, so I've been going back to that character and fooling around Sandswept Isle a lot (while waiting for said friend to have time to continue that story arch). I've collected some hero points on a character I want to try a different elite spec on, and explored parts of the world on a few others.

I'm very much in favor of new living story episodes, as I like to both play the story and explore new lands. Repeating the same content again and again with no variation isn't something I enjoy (although I do like to come back to places I haven't been to in a while, preferably on different characters), so your suggestion would do nothing for me.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

Casual crowd things.

can you be more specific? im honestly interested what can keep one playing 5-6h each day. whats your routine? i run out of activities after 1 hour/day.Why do you have to have a routine to play daily?

Personally, I play most days, and seldom less than 2-3 hours a day (with a lot more on the weekends/off days). I don't have a routine in game but play whatever catches my fancy that day. Dungeons (yes, I still very much enjoy those), story, exploration, wvw, checking out achievements I haven't done, playing with/helping out friends, or just find a map I enjoy that day and go around gathering materials and playing events.

That's the beauty of this game, there's always something to do, and it's always something different (unless you want it to be the same). I just started a new character yesterday (my 32nd), playing through the norn personal story with a friend. Last week, I started the s4e2 story with another friend, so I've been going back to that character and fooling around Sandswept Isle a lot (while waiting for said friend to have time to continue that story arch). I've collected some hero points on a character I want to try a different elite spec on, and explored parts of the world on a few others.

I'm very much in favor of new living story episodes, as I like to both play the story and explore new lands. Repeating the same content again and again with no variation isn't something I enjoy (although I do like to come back to places I haven't been to in a while, preferably on different characters), so your suggestion would do nothing for me.

Same here. The nearest I have to a routine is starting by logging into a character in a town (or one I can send to a town) to pick up the login reward, harvest the home instance nodes and check the daily achievements to see if I want to do them. After that it depends entirely on what I want to do. I have 7 level 80 characters I can use for map completion and to work through the various story lines (1 has finished all the stories and almost all the maps, the others are at various stages of completion) and 4 other permanent characters below level 80 so I can log into any of them to work on stories and map completion. Or I might decide to do achievements - either because they sound interesting or because they have a reward I want. I also collect mini pets so I spend a lot of time trying to get them, either directly or by collecting enough materials/currency to buy them. And then of course there's getting equipment for 11 characters, key runs if I happen to feel like it, collecting other skins and I've recently started buying dyes too.

But I think the main thing that keeps it interesting is letting myself be flexible and do whatever catches my interest instead of sticking to a routine or trying to get goals done as quickly as possible - for example I only use guides to complete collections if I've tried everything I can think of and I'm stuck. Yesterday for example I was playing a low level character and happened to complete a gatherer daily, so I looked for another 2 I could do - I switched to a level 80 character and did one quick one I can't remember and picked Crystal Oasis bounty hunter for the 3rd. I went to the map, found a group about to do the Legendary Facet and joined in (I've done it many times before, but it was one of the first ones to come up and several people said they needed it for the griffon so it seemed like a good choice). At some point during that I remembered seeing an achievement which mentioned something above the pyramid - so I went looking for that and then went looking for the sand path it mentioned. I totally missed the jackal portal but managed to get up there using my griffon and found a couple of items for other achievements which got me looking at those too. Also having found sand paths in 3/5 PoF maps I'm now wondering if they're in all of them so I want to investigate that some point. I can't remember exactly what I did next but at some point I switched back to my low level character and as I was heading into the Grove I suddenly decided to try climbing the Pale Tree using mounts. I found some NPCs you can't normally speak to, and got quite high up. Took some cool screenshots of the sun rise, then had an idea about using a similar method to climb the Black Citadel so I went to try that too.

I'm sure by some people's standards I wasted a lot of time and barely did anything worthwhile, but the important thing is it was fun for me, and that's what I really want from a game.

Alternatively, people are saying "no, LW stories are content, and, new content on top of that, so do those first". I know I'm not a fan of the "with us or against us" poll, where's the "if it doesn't impede new stuff to do, fine" option? Seems like the poll was a trap for just this sort of post, doesn't it?

@robertthebard.8150 said:

Alternatively, people are saying "no, LW stories are content, and, new content on top of that, so do those first". I know I'm not a fan of the "with us or against us" poll, where's the "if it doesn't impede new stuff to do, fine" option? Seems like the poll was a trap for just this sort of post, doesn't it?

Honestly, sounds like OP wants something with a constant grind. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt with their original post until they replied with that passive aggressive post with regards to the results not going how they like. It's pretty much akin to them throwing a tantrum because not everyone thinks/believes like them.

Most other MMO's and most ARPG's have them covered if they want that grind. Yeah, I wish there was more frequently-released story-related content for this game but this game also doesn't have a sub fee, which does enable and might encourage the whole "drop in, drop out" style of play for this game. I can live with that though.

In any event, as fun as it was to watch this thread devolve into a passive-aggressive trainwreck, I'm gonna bow out and have fun in another thread. <3

@Edelweiss.4261 said:The only reason I care about living world episodes is for:

1. New map
  2. New mastery
  3. QoL Changes
  4. New Fashion

I'd honestly appreciate if the story portion could be made optional or shorter. I hate having to go through story content to get to the new map.Wait a day or two, then ask a friend to be your anchor in the new map and teleport to friend to them. Gives you access to the new map without the need to do the story.

I personally would like more revisitting old maps in general. The way they do it now, each location gets used once. That doesn't make much sense. I dont need new maps personally, and would love if they revisitted old maps with new content.

Ofcourse not going to happen as other content would need to make space for the new.

But im still hoping they figure out a smart system for that, if not for this game, maybe for a gw3.

This is unfortunately the biggest and most annoying flaw with Living world as a concept.

Once an episode replaces the last one all of the content in the previous episodes more or less becomes redundant from a development point of view.Likewise once a season ends and progresses to the next.. support for the previous ones again.. just dies.

I would very much like to see new content added to these older new maps or story that takes us back to important locations but this is just impossible because of how the living world works.. and if some people don't have a specific episode or map it would block them from new content they do have.

Imo Anet should bundle episodes availability.. 6 months is more than enough, log into the game and every episode released in the last 6 months becomes unlocked on your account or something.This would give a lot more freedom when it comes to designing new story content without limiting it on a map by map basis.Plus I think it may incline more people to buy episodes they may miss if it does block their progress as the packs will overall be cheaper.

@Teratus.2859 said:This is unfortunately the biggest and most annoying flaw with Living world as a concept.

Once an episode replaces the last one all of the content in the previous episodes more or less becomes redundant from a development point of view.Likewise once a season ends and progresses to the next.. support for the previous ones again.. just dies.

I would very much like to see new content added to these older new maps or story that takes us back to important locations but this is just impossible because of how the living world works.. and if some people don't have a specific episode or map it would block them from new content they do have.

Exactly why it would need to be made smartly, probably with such in mind from launch.

Its not impossible, but it would require a near full overhaul.

Archived