500 diamonds Needed to Change Server...

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Cedric Ambidexter.9174 said:It turns out he's on the USA Server, and I'm on the EU one.I believe there are several music guilds in NA.

It was a bummer because I tried to switch server (it was a simple thing in GW1), but got a message asking me for 500 diamonds which I found quite ludicrous.Why is it ludicrous? There are lots of reasons why it was possible in GW1 and why it's unrealistic in GW2. (In particular, it would add ping to everyone in EU permanently.)

It would be nice if players were limited to a handful of server changes per year before a charge is incurred (if there really is an easy with population balancing).Sure, it would be nice. It would also be nice if ANet gave away the game for free.

This stops us from playing with friends on different continents.It does. ANet doesn't like the situation any more than you do, they just haven't figured out a good way to make it possible without people in EU suffering a huge performance hit. They realized the situation was unfair in GW1, but it didn't matter as much because there wasn't WvW and there were no open world instances with 80-150 people plus foes.

who cares about WvW anyway?

That section of GW2 is irrelevant imo.

Shoulda been scrapped a week after the game started.

I've never experienced so much repetitive boredom from running around in circles ever.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Cedric Ambidexter.9174 said:

@Cedric Ambidexter.9174 said:It turns out he's on the USA Server, and I'm on the EU one.I believe there are several music guilds in NA.

It was a bummer because I tried to switch server (it was a simple thing in GW1), but got a message asking me for 500 diamonds which I found quite ludicrous.Why is it ludicrous? There are lots of reasons why it was possible in GW1 and why it's unrealistic in GW2. (In particular, it would add ping to everyone in EU permanently.)

It would be nice if players were limited to a handful of server changes per year before a charge is incurred (if there really is an easy with population balancing).Sure, it would be nice. It would also be nice if ANet gave away the game for free.

This stops us from playing with friends on different continents.It does. ANet doesn't like the situation any more than you do, they just haven't figured out a good way to make it possible without people in EU suffering a huge performance hit. They realized the situation was unfair in GW1, but it didn't matter as much because there wasn't WvW and there were no open world instances with 80-150 people plus foes.

Probably a lot more people than who care about your issue. Going by pure numbers, you are on the losing end.

@Cedric Ambidexter.9174 said:That section of GW2 is irrelevant imo.

I've never experienced so much repetitive boredom from running around in circles ever.

Well how good that you are not required to play the mode. Now was there something of value you wanted to contribute to your rant or has this thread reached its end?

Hmmm post vanished but no warning was sent? Is this a different thread?

anyways

Be glad it only costs you 500 Gems mine from FC to TC cost me i think in the range of 1.2k to 2k i forget the exact amount but it was quite a bit, thankfully its already been worth it cause of WvW.

That section of GW2 is irrelevant imo.

So don't WvW. The point is that GW1 had a single data center and that was problematic for that game, which had lower data transfer requirements. It hurt EU players. ANet made a design decision to make things better for at least that part of the community by opening up a second data center. Due to real world limitations (e.g. the speed of electrons flowing through underwater cable), it's not physical possible for EU and NA players to team up.

It's not some arbitrary decision to thwart your ability to play music with a particular guild; it's a series of complex calculations about what is best for the entire community and the game's future. It just happens that a side effect is something that all of us — including ANet — don't like: EU & NA can't mix.

@Mathias.9657 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:If it takes you a year to grind 100 gold then I suggest you buy the gems with real money. 500 gems is $6.25. Most people can afford that, especially if they give up soda or coffee for a day or two.

Giving up coffee is pure madness I work 3 am shifts I buy at least 2 of them a day haha

Make your own coffee at home and use a thermos to carry it to work. Your pocketbook will love you.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:If it takes you a year to grind 100 gold then I suggest you buy the gems with real money. 500 gems is $6.25. Most people can afford that, especially if they give up soda or coffee for a day or two.

Giving up coffee is pure madness I work 3 am shifts I buy at least 2 of them a day haha

Make your own coffee at home and use a thermos to carry it to work. Your pocketbook will love you.

The environment, too.

Unfortunately, I tried to join a Musician's Guild on Saturday but was unable to because the player I was speaking to (who had invited me to join the guild) was standing right next to me in Divinity's Reach, but unfortunately we couldn't actually 'meet' and interact because I figured out that he was on a different server than I.

It turns out he's on the USA Server, and I'm on the EU one.

If the other player was standing right next to you (and you saw him/her standing there) you can't be on different regions (EU or NA), as they don't share map instances.

I saw his white symbol on the map, but we couldn't find eachother, and we also tried to meet inside the guild hall but that failed.

It's ok we confirmed that we were on separate continents/servers.

I SO wanted to be in that Musicians Guild lol.

Did you right click his name in group and join his instance?

@Anirri.4156 said:

Unfortunately, I tried to join a Musician's Guild on Saturday but was unable to because the player I was speaking to (who had invited me to join the guild) was standing right next to me in Divinity's Reach, but unfortunately we couldn't actually 'meet' and interact because I figured out that he was on a different server than I.

If the other player was standing right next to you (and you saw him/her standing there) you can't be on different regions (EU or NA), as they don't share map instances.

I saw his white symbol on the map, but we couldn't find eachother, and we also tried to meet inside the guild hall but that failed.

A guild hall never have more then 1 instance per server cluster eu/na

@Linken.6345 said:

A guild hall never have more then 1 instance per server cluster eu/na

I’ve seen a guild hall have more than one instance, but it requires enough people to hit the guild map capacity (which is lower than a PvE map) and this causes a new instance to spawn. When that happens players can be on either instance.

@"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

• What the hell is a 'Music Guild'!?!?!?

People who use the instrument novelty items skillfully and creatively have gathered together in various guilds. They play music for whoever wants to gather, teach each other interesting tricks, and, well, like any guild, join together in common short-term cause and end up hanging out together.

Arguably the best known is Minstrel's Waypoint [Cmaj] (the tag is a musician's in-joke), due to their infamous video

(and its various sequels)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"ProtoGunner.4953" said:
  • What the hell is a 'Music Guild'!?!?!?

People who use the instrument novelty items skillfully and creatively have gathered together in various guilds. They play music for whoever wants to gather, teach each other interesting tricks, and, well, like any guild, join together in common short-term cause and end up hanging out together.

Arguably the best known is
Minstrel's Waypoint
[Cmaj] (the
tag
is a musician's in-joke), due to their infamous video
(and
)

Ah thanks for the info. Didn't know this existed.

@Anirri.4156 said:

Thats what you should do. I doubt youre on different server (you EU he NA) if you saw his dot on map?. You just have to join party with him and right click on him and select "Join instance" or sth like that to see him.Maybe Im wrong and youre really on different servers though, but I ddidnt think its possible to see their dot on map :open_mouth: But that's really stupid. Why allow to see their dot if you cant join them anyway.

There isn't much you can do other than pay if you truely found yourselves on different versions of the game. NA and EU being connected on serveral levels and actually allowing us to swap versions for such a tiny fee is already more community friendly than anything I have ever seen in other games. Thus it is a little hard for me to take this complaint seriously.

@Henry.5713 said:There isn't much you can do other than pay if you truely found yourselves on different versions of the game. NA and EU being connected on serveral levels and actually allowing us to swap versions for such a tiny fee is already more community friendly than anything I have ever seen in other games. Thus it is a little hard for me to take this complaint seriously.

I actually disagree. I don't think it's fair to ask players to pay any sum to change server in order to play side by side with teammates in another region. This seems to me like a kind of basic requirement that should be available as an option in any MMO.

GW1 Rulez: #getwithit LOL (please don't take me seriously, I kid :D )

So yeh - not fair.

@Henry.5713 said:There isn't much you can do other than pay if you truely found yourselves on different versions of the game. NA and EU being connected on serveral levels and actually allowing us to swap versions for such a tiny fee is already more community friendly than anything I have ever seen in other games. Thus it is a little hard for me to take this complaint seriously.

I actually disagree. I don't think it's fair to ask players to pay any sum to change server in order to play side by side with teammates in another region. This seems to me like a kind of basic requirement that should be available as an option in any MMO.

So yeh - not fair.

Or there other/many MMOs that allow world/realm transfers for free? The price for WoW is $25 per character.. You're being asked to pay $6.25 for the account, and you can easily farm the gold for that.

So, maybe not fair but not a high cost either.

So yeh - not fair.

Or there other/many MMOs that allow world/realm transfers for free? The price for WoW is $25 per character.. You're being asked to pay $6.25 for the account, and you can easily farm the gold for that.

Please tell me what bit of 500-2K gold is 'easy' to farm???

Someone told me not to be any outfits on the store and that I should farm and that I can farm 100 gold in one month...so I went on that long mission:

I gave up after 2 days when I realised I was making barely one gold per day.

I just used my credit card instead lol.

WOW should not be charging either.

So yeh - not fair.

Someone told me not to be any outfits on the store and that I should farm and that I can farm 100 gold in one month...so I went on that long mission:

First off, it’s not 500 to 2000 gold. You need 500 gems. Gems currently are about 33 gold/100 gems so that means you need about 165 gold to buy 500 gems.

As other people have told you, it’s not that much gold. If you’re making barely 1 gold a day then you’re not doing your daily to get 2 gold a day, plus gold from selling Mystic Coins you get from logging in, plus gold from converting laurels to gold. (How many mystic coins and laurels do you have in your inventory? Do you look at selling off excesss mats?

After that, I’m assuming you’re one of those people who don’t want to do anything boring so node harvesting runs would be out. If you do farming runs you can make decent gold. I don’t do fractals myself but I hear they’re a good source of gold. The Domain of Istan is very profitable. Even dungeons is good gold if you do a set each day. The gold is easily obtained. If your’e not making gold then you’re not trying to make gold.

So yeh - not fair.

As other people have told you, it’s not that much gold. If you’re making barely 1 gold a day then you’re not doing your daily to get 2 gold a day, plus gold from selling Mystic Coins you get from logging in, plus gold from converting laurels to gold. (How many mystic coins and laurels do you have in your inventory? Do you look at selling off excesss mats?

After that, I’m assuming you’re one of those people who don’t want to do anything boring so node harvesting runs would be out. If you do farming runs you can make decent gold. I don’t do fractals myself but I hear they’re a good source of gold. The Domain of Istan is very profitable. Even dungeons is good gold if you do a set each day. The gold is easily obtained. If your’e not making gold then you’re not trying to make gold.

OK,

So everything you've just said is EXCELLENT (Thank You), and it feeds directly into my MAJOR (biggest) complaint about the game: that there is so much I still don't understand.

I wish there was much more in-game tutorial available.

Last night I took part a few meta events in the hot map, and was so confused about what to do (I just tried to follow the crowd and attack)....when I feel this could easily be helped by GW2 providing on screen player instructions for those of us who aren't so intuitive about the game mechanics or what's expected of us.

The things you mentioned are all a part of that.

daily - what even is that??mystic coins - i've heard of this and i've had a few in the past, but i usually try to sell all the junk in my inventory as quickly as possible cos there's so much of it and most of it has minute amounts of value.laurels - what is this?

All the junk/spam/confusion in gw2 with so much content and item spamming in inventories does not help my player experience and together with the fact this game has no decent in-game tutorial mode for players - has been one of the reasons why I quit for a year.

Maybe I wouldn't be bashing so much if I knew the game better.

And please don't talk about forums/wikis - nobody should have to read those to play a game - and a 'game' is what it is. I don't have time or patience for that.

@"Henry.5713" said:There isn't much you can do other than pay if you truely found yourselves on different versions of the game. NA and EU being connected on serveral levels and actually allowing us to swap versions for such a tiny fee is already more community friendly than anything I have ever seen in other games. Thus it is a little hard for me to take this complaint seriously.

So yeh - not fair.

OK,

So everything you've just said is EXCELLENT (Thank You), and it feeds directly into my MAJOR (biggest) complaint about the game: that there is so much I still don't understand.

I wish there was much more in-game tutorial available.

Last night I took part a few meta events in the hot map, and was so confused about what to do (I just tried to follow the crowd and attack)....when I feel this could easily be helped by GW2 providing on screen player instructions for those of us who aren't so intuitive about the game mechanics or what's expected of us.

The things you mentioned are all a part of that.

daily - what even is that??mystic coins - i've heard of this and i've had a few in the past, but i usually try to sell all the junk in my inventory as quickly as possible cos there's so much of it and most of it has minute amounts of value.laurels - what is this?

All the junk/spam/confusion in gw2 with so much content and item spamming in inventories does not help my player experience and together with the fact this game has no decent in-game tutorial mode for players - has been one of the reasons why I quit for a year.

Maybe I wouldn't be bashing so much if I knew the game better.

And please don't talk about forums/wikis - nobody should have to read those to play a game - and a 'game' is what it is. I don't have time or patience for that.

Daily. It’s on your screen when you first log in each day after reset. You have to select some tasks and accept the daily login reward chest. Do 3 tasks and get 2 gold

Daily. A typical daily that I did from today’s list (shown on link) was Daily Ascalon Lumberer,Brisban Wildlands Event Completer, Daily Desolation Bounty Hunter. There are other PvE dailies and there are PvP and WvW dailies, do any 3 from the list and get 2 gold.

Mystic coins: you get 20 each 28 days plus there is the occasional mystic forge daily where you use the mystic forge and get a mystic coin. (I use 4 pebbles but any mystic forging will do). Mystic coins are worth over a gold each.

Laurels: you get 55 laurels each 28 days you log in. They are in your Wallet. Go to a PvE laurel merchant and buy Medium or Heavy crafting bags, open them up, sell the contents on the trading post.

Level a character from 1 to 80 naturally, and read all the tutorial tips at each level-up. There's your in-game tutorial.And/or..ask questions in-game.Check the Trading Post for the worth of items; if still unsure, ask in-game or use the Wiki from in-game.And/or...peruse the Online Manual. I mean, you aren't adverse to spending time on the forums, so a bit of research using the official sources doesn't seem out-of-hand.

Good luck.

Archived