Graveling in Catacombs Violet Room doesn't drop any plate. [Merged]

For me, I completed the first step of the story, enough to get into the new map. First time to run the plates, and had this issue. I doubt story step is the issue. I was in a room with about 5-10 doing this. One person was in there before me and I finally got the plate before he did after about 10 attempts.

I should add that the time I received the plate, I was AFK looking it up on the web. Came back, and the plate had dropped. I thought I would stay and help others kill it, but the next kill of the graveling dropped it again for me, even after picking the first one up. At this point, I got concerned it may be randomly choosing a person in the room to award the plate to... even among those not contributing. This is speculation, but I believe if the plate drops, you should immediately turn it in to the next room. This may eliminate you from the drop chance.

Interestingly, the person who entered the room before received the plate soon after I left. Very bizarre system, hopefully not working as intended.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:....... These do seem like the sort of bugs that ANet couldn't possibly foresee.

I simply can't agree with this. An event chain where players need to kill a specific mob to get the next drop required to progress the chain, within a time limit, written so that only one item drops regardless of how many people are involved, and drops to [undisclosed rule]. It is entirely foreseeable that it will not drop to a given player for ages, losing them progression, and also that it will drop to invalid players [depending on how badly you designed 'undisclosed rule']. There are countless examples throughout the game where a mob will drop a designated item to all valid players who have tagged it. Doing something different is not only dumb but it is predictable that this will lead to tears.

Add me to the list of players who took so long to get the drop that the light had expired. For the record I finally got it (25-30 attempts) on the first occasion on which no-one else was in the room and I solo'd from start to finish. Oh, and it was a pre-story character. I have also had the plate drop first time on an alt account on which no character has done the story.

I did it earlier with a character that hasn't done the story. Someone else came in the room with me before I could activate the sarcophagus so they triggered the graveling fight. I helped them kill it but the plate didn't drop for me (I assume it dropped for them though). However, after a few seconds, the sarcophagus was ready to be activated again. I activated it, soloed the graveling, and got the plate after killing it.

Yes, I had this bug happen to me, too. Apparently I got lucky, though, since for me third time was the charm. Who gets the drop seems to be quite random or based on things outside of combat data since for the two fights I was not rewarded for once I was the one joining the fight late and the second time another player joined during the second half, so I had already done more than 50% of the damage alone.

Happened to me as well several days in a row now. I’m wasting my time doing the metas and trying to get the plate for 30 minutes while my light of deldrimor buff ticks away. I wouldn’t be so frustrated if it wasn’t preventing me from completing achievements and crafting the weapons.Since we are limited to using 1 plate a day it would be awesome if it worked properly.

@Rhea Ravenseeker.7105 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:....... These do seem like the sort of bugs that ANet couldn't possibly foresee.

I simply can't agree with this. An event chain where players need to kill a specific mob to get the next drop required to progress the chain, within a time limit, written so that only one item drops regardless of how many people are involved, and drops to [undisclosed rule]. It is entirely foreseeable that it will not drop to a given player for ages, losing them progression, and also that it will drop to invalid players [depending on how badly you designed 'undisclosed rule']. There are countless examples throughout the game where a mob will drop a designated item to all valid players who have tagged it. Doing something different is not only dumb but it is predictable that this will lead to tears.

And I'm saying, I don't believe that is how it was designed to work.Which is why I also believe that ANet couldn't have found the bug on their own, because it (a) doesn't happen to everyone and (b) we haven't found a pattern that explains all the cases of people not getting a plate.

Add me to the list of players who took so long to get the drop that the light had expired. For the record I finally got it (25-30 attempts) on the first occasion on which no-one else was in the room and I solo'd from start to finish. Oh, and it was a pre-story character. I have also had the plate drop first time on an alt account on which no character has done the story.One tip I've seen is to relog as soon as the first fail.You won't lose progress (I'm told), you won't lose your LoD. But you might end up in a different instance, where you have another chance to avoid the bug (again, so I'm told). And even if you end up in the same instance, there's a chance (again, so I'm told) that the problem disappears.

Massive trouble tonight, got purple as third room and spent twenty minutes killing the mob over and over. Tried leaving the room and coming back, going to gh and coming back, finally got it on first or second try after manually swapping instances via lfg, but then it only counted as first room and I had to do two more rooms before I got the green plate. Made it with less than two minutes to spare . . .

I think I may go ahead and complete the story again on my main, just to see if it makes a difference . . .

I've had the purple room in my rotation every day - didn't understand the mechanic fully on launch day, but every day since I've had to kill over and over. This is on a character who had completed the story and not restarted it, and has since restarted it (same problem). Only time I've noticed getting it almost guaranteed is when I leave the room and come back and there is no-one else there. Fortunately my light has always had ~2 minutes remaining on it when it's dropped so I've been lucky, but this is the exact reason I don't play certain other MMOs.

I've been lucky, got the purple room on my main (after completing the story on him) and it dropped the plate after 3 or 4 kills. In my case it dropped the last plate, the one for the hoard.

There were other people in the room for each of those kills so it may only be dropping for one of us at a time?

Or maybe it depends on the room you've come from or the room you should be going to? It may be dropping for everyone who came from a particular room or it may have a random chance of dropping any particular plate for each kill. if it drops the wrong colour plate for you then you won't be able to see it or get it.

Had this happen last three purple rooms.. finally got the plate last night after 13 kills.Done story, same issue, not done story on toon - same issue, I interact with the sarcophagus to spawn mob.. same issue and have waited to help others fight and same issue... but all those same attempts have resulted in getting a plate. Last night I finally got the plate after waiting a few minutes and just jumped into someone else's fight.This is just to incredibly random at this point making it feel like another RNG reward, which may indicate it is working as intended, but I sure hope it is a bug cos that kind of lame design on top of a 24hr reset period will simply kill the map faster than speeding bullet imo.Either instance the fight or make the plate drop for all to interact with, if you have done enough to be granted the event reward it is that simple ANET.. in fact just put the plate into the event reward chest after the gravelling is killed.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:If I've understood all the comments from people (and perhaps I haven't because the circumstances are confusing):

• Post-story characters: no examples of trouble.
  • Pre-story characters: no examples of success. (These toons used teleport-to-friend or the portal scroll to reach the map.)
  • Mid-story characters: examples of success-with-difficulty, examples of no-successes.
  • Post-story characters who restarted story for chieves (and left it 'mid story'): examples of success-with-difficulty.

Is this correct? If you have a counter example, could you share it?Thanks

Post Story Characters: Examples of Trouble (see first post)Pre Story Characters: Can work (did once), with another Pre Story Character it failed too

So i doubt it has anything to do with the story. Guess its just a random drop if your participation is high enough (with a lot of players that will be problematic) or you have to kill it with the last hit.

This episode still needs some serious polishing. Several bugs that halter progress; be it Pepperseed for the achievement, this for the daily treasure room hunt, or even getting stuck inside the wall during the last story mission if standing too close to Kralkatorrik when he rams into it (you will have to start over when this happens).

Today I killed it god knows how many times without it dropping. I hoped to get a mesmer to help me get to the green room in time but I was too late... I spent like 15 minutes trying to get the plate. Yesterday it took me about three times to get the plate and further killing got me a second plate.

@Dark Rider.2839 said:i doubt it has anything to do with the story.Based on reports, it seems unlikely to be the only reason, but it's possible it might be a contributing factor.

Guess its just a random drop if your participation is high enough (with a lot of players that will be problematic) or you have to kill it with the last hit.It doesn't seem to be that, either. As I've written, I've gotten a plate while contributing the least amount of damage and plenty of people have failed to get one while soloing the graveling.

For me this worked:First killed that vet several times, without any plate dropping. Then I ported to the Mistlock Sanctuary (via passkey), and returned from there the the last map to get another map instance. There I went into that room again and killed the vet again, and this time it dopped the plate!

@linamaria.1830 said:Anet, please fix it.

Spending over 20 minutes killing the same monster over and over is not right. Basically what was supposed to be fun, became an irritating experience.

Yeah same happened to me this morning. It only dropped for me after i interacted with the sarcophagus fully. Not sure if that is that factor or it is truly RNG.

For me this worked:First killed that vet several times, without any plate dropping. Then I ported to the Mistlock Sanctuary (via passkey), and returned from there the the last map to get another map instance. There I went into that room again and killed the vet again, and this time it dopped the plate!

Archived