D912pxy-GW2 using dx12

@sorudo.9054 said:i tried it again, all it does is stop GW2 from launching.

There are a number of Reddit threads in which people help each other get started. The 3rd party dev had an FAQ in one of them. This forum isn't the right place to discuss how to get a non-supported add-on to work, but there are plenty of fans of the mod willing to help you... assuming you're still interested.

@"sorudo.9054" said:i tried it again, all it does is stop GW2 from launching.

It's working fine if you know what you're doing, and it for sure gives a nice boost to your framerate in places where it matters - crowded locations like Mistlock Sanctuary, a place that for me could dip the framerate of the "normal" game to as low as ~20 fps when there are lots of players around and with all settings maxed out.With this proxy it runs the very same scenario at around ~30 fps. Something that is easily checked by just renaming the d3d9.dll temporarily to get back to the original dx9 version and compare.

• 1 month later...

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Gulbasaur.1865" said:...There are lots of reasons why Anet would not want to support similar technology in-house, for example that it's Windows 10 64-bit only and they don't want to lock out users on earlier systems and that the cost-benefit balance wouldn't be worthwhile.

The later part is abit of a non true statement imo. There can be both dx12 and dx9 support no? Theres a number of games supporting multiple versions of dx, wow comes to mind.

Of course there can be both. But every extra supported technical option costs - in development effort, testing effort, support effort and overall code quality. Because at bottom it's never, actually, remotely as simple as just "make this call or make that call". And it's also almost always worse by an order of magnitude if you didn't design for it in the first pace. Bottom line, it's not the sort of thing you normally choose to do unless you have a very good reason and a very good business case (or unless you're very green and optimistic, and extremely naïve about the possible consequences). (source: multiple decades developing and testing software for IBM).

Even before the recent ArenaNet turmoil it seemed somewhat unlikely, given that they hadn't already bitten the bullet, and that a business case is almost certainly non-existent. Today? It seems about as likely as unicorn poo.

GW1 and GW2 have a very good track record to be able to play somewhat decently on a low end system. This is actually a huge selling point, imo not exploited well enough by Arenanet. For many games you need a console or computer system that is bought for the purpose of gaming. For Anet games, you can use any neck of the wood pc that is somewhat recent.To take it a step further, Arenanet uses some very cool design tricks to incorperate the lower quality of the graphics. The world is drawn sloppy, creating an artisitic look that looks stunning. This compensates the lower quality alot.

I know there are people wanting to play on the best settings available and have the most optimal playing performance. Many technologies support this goal, but it would be counterproductive to older systems and also lock out potential players new to the world of gaming.

Last of all, the amount of resources envolved are large, as arenanet should be modifying the engine. This is not a stock engine, but developped by arenanet themself for GW1 and GW2.

• 3 months later...

@"Gulbasaur.1865" said:There are lots of reasons why Anet would not want to support similar technology in-house, for example that it's Windows 10 64-bit only and they don't want to lock out users on earlier systems and that the cost-benefit balance wouldn't be worthwhile.

Why is it Win 10-only, though? Older systems are DX12-compatible as well if the graphics card supports it:https://solidlystated.com/hardware/list-of-directx-12-and-directx-11-compatible-video-cards/

Microsoft just won't let you install a DX12 on your Windows 7 so you will go buy Windows 10, but in theory it is possible to run DX12 on it, even with my GTX 760. :)

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Gulbasaur.1865" said:There are lots of reasons why Anet would not want to support similar technology in-house, for example that it's Windows 10 64-bit only and they don't want to lock out users on earlier systems and that the cost-benefit balance wouldn't be worthwhile.

Why is it Win 10-only, though? Older systems are DX12-compatible as well if the graphics card supports it:

Microsoft just won't let you install a DX12 on your Windows 7 so you will go buy Windows 10, but in theory it is possible to run DX12 on it, even with my GTX 760. :)

Actually, Microsoft have gone out and said they will install DX12 to Windows 7 (at least in a limited sense) during the last half year of its lifetime. Somewhere in autumn I think, before they drop all support for Win7 in January 2020.

@joneirikb.7506 said:Actually, Microsoft have gone out and said they will install DX12 to Windows 7 (at least in a limited sense) during the last half year of its lifetime. Somewhere in autumn I think, before they drop all support for Win7 in January 2020.

That makes no sense, unless they will add it to Windows 8.1 as well, which is what I will switch to when Win 7 support ends.

@"Infusion.7149" said:I'd be more excited about it if it was using a Vulkan implementation so that Linux support improves even further.

There's already a Vulkan Implementation for Linux in the form of 'd9vk' - https://github.com/Joshua-Ashton/d9vkGW2 runs very well with it and there are no issues with the game.

You're welcome to join this thread: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/31192/playing-guild-wars-2-on-linux-performance-optimizations-and-more/p1?new=1

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@joneirikb.7506 said:Actually, Microsoft have gone out and said they will install DX12 to Windows 7 (at least in a limited sense) during the last half year of its lifetime. Somewhere in autumn I think, before they drop all support for Win7 in January 2020.

That makes no sense, unless they will add it to Windows 8.1 as well, which is what I will switch to when Win 7 support ends.

From what I understood of the article, it was largely because of Blizzard pushing them, since WoW added dx12 support. There was some limitations but honestly forgot what it was.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

Why is it Win 10-only, though? Older systems are DX12-compatible as well if the graphics card supports it:

Microsoft just won't let you install a DX12 on your Windows 7
so you will go buy Windows 10,
but in theory it is possible to run DX12 on it, even with my GTX 760. :)

Here's the not-so-secret secret...If you have Windows 7 or 8.1, or a product key to either, you can still upgrade to 10 for free.

@moonstarmac.4603 said:Here's the not-so-secret secret...If you have Windows 7 or 8.1, or a product key to either, you can still upgrade to 10 for free.

Here's the not-so-secret truth behind it: I don't want to. Hell has to freeze over before I deliberately install that awful OS on my computer. Ever.

I'll switch to 8.1 for as long as it will be supported, but then I will have to thoroughly consider what to do and what non-MS OS to run on my PC.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@moonstarmac.4603 said:Here's the not-so-secret secret...If you have Windows 7 or 8.1, or a product key to either, you can still upgrade to 10 for free.

Here's the not-so-secret truth behind it:
I don't want to.
Hell has to freeze over before I deliberately install that awful OS on my computer. Ever.

I'll switch to 8.1 for as long as it will be supported, but then I will have to thoroughly consider what to do and what non-MS OS to run on my PC.

With the latest patches, Windows 10 isn't that bad. Especially if you run Pro. But everyone has their own likes and dislikes.