Going To Ember Bay (200 gems)

@"zionophir.6845" said:So after all the wvwvwing and pvping, i decided to do some pve and i wanted to go to Ember Bay. But the easiest i know to go there is completing a Living Story Episode.

u7AwW7a.jpg

and it costs 200 gems to unlock.

On my main account, all the LS stories of HoT and PoF are unlocked. the account that i used to get the Screenshot also has HoT and PoF but i bought the expansions late so i have to buy the LS 's with Gems. Why is this So?

So how to go to Ember Bay? and why the LS's are prized with gems? i already have the expansions.

Welcome to the shitty monetisation of GW2.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:Makes perfect sense to me ... why would Anet enable account sharing of purchases? You do realize how badly this could be abused right? How it sets Anet up to lost revenue?Because effectively it's the same person. They could at least allow some kind of account linkage - as long as only one such account is active at the same time. Similar to what Steam does, allowing to share games between your families' accounts, but limiting it to only one active instance at a time.

I have a triple monitor setup with three identical monitors. I should have gotten my second and third monitor for free because I already bought it once.

Don't you see how stupid that is?

I don't understand how you could even begin to think that accounts are interlinked and unlocks are.. per computer? Sure, that would be cool, but the game isn't made for that. There is no reason to ever get a secondary account unless YOU want to. Why should they put systems in place that could easily get abused by many people "family sharing" their account unlocks? This stuff exists for services like Steam, where they actually make sense because it gives you access to many games and it's a nice quality of life to avoid having to buy the same game multiple times. Could be used as a demo of sorts. Doesn't make the slightest bit of sense in an MMO.

Also calling 200 gems a cash grab is funny too. They are free for over 3 months, all it takes is logging in once. A fresh account won't have the access, but they always get the most recent content for free, guaranteed and story can easily be played out of order. Plus, if they took the time to actually play the game until they get to the point where that story becomes relevant, they should have the gold to buy one or two episodes already. They can still decide if they even WANT to do that at that point. I didn't even play Season 2 until last year, despite being very active. Nothing grabby about that, you just expect free stuff for no reason.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:What others seems to miss is that topic starter has mentioned that he already have those LS episodes unlocked on his main account. And now is forced to buy them again at his 2nd account. Now, this doesn't really make much sense, even with all considerations given. Why should he pay twice?

Makes perfect sense to me ... why would Anet enable account sharing of purchases? You do realize how badly this could be abused right? How it sets Anet up to lost revenue?

I mean, I sort of question why any player would repeat such content on a second account to begin with ... because the first account just wasn't enough? The complaint is weird ... 2 accounts is certainly a luxury ... but 200 gems is a problem? I mean, something sounds weird here.

i have to wait for 2.5 months to get the suspension lifted on my main and the account i used to post the screenshot from is the closest thing that can get to doing some decent pve.

and i want to pve at the moment.

and i don't mind if the LS's can be bought by gems. yeah they can do that all they want but the access to new maps must not be gated with gems/gold, i think.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:What others seems to miss is that topic starter has mentioned that he already have those LS episodes unlocked on his main account. And now is forced to buy them again at his 2nd account. Now, this doesn't really make much sense, even with all considerations given. Why should he pay twice?

Because it's another account. By this logic, if you buy them, I should get them for free.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

@"zionophir.6845" said:So after all the wvwvwing and pvping, i decided to do some pve and i wanted to go to Ember Bay. But the easiest i know to go there is completing a Living Story Episode.

u7AwW7a.jpg

and it costs 200 gems to unlock.

On my main account, all the LS stories of HoT and PoF are unlocked. the account that i used to get the Screenshot also has HoT and PoF but i bought the expansions late so i have to buy the LS 's with Gems. Why is this So?

So how to go to Ember Bay? and why the LS's are prized with gems? i already have the expansions.

Welcome to the kitten monetisation of GW2.

What? So, did you buy the LS? If so, why can't I access them if I create another account. It's the same principle, one person buys, another gets them for free, right?

Here's a thought, let's go to a restaurant, I'll order some food, you order some food and try to leave w/out paying because I paid for mine. I'll send you a few bucks to pay off Bubba while you're in jail.

ya'll been mistaken lel.

im not advocating that i should get the ls's unlocked based on my main account which has all ls unlocked. they are different and separate accounts. the thing that i gripe about is that access to new maps (which came with the expansion obviously) must not be GATED.

and about my multi accounting, i foresaw that my playtime on an account can be interrupted for some time (e.g. suspensions). so i bought some accounts. not to mention the laurels.

so yeah.

@zionophir.6845 said:ya'll been mistaken lel.

im not advocating that i should get the ls's unlocked based on my main account which has all ls unlocked. they are different and separate accounts. the thing that i gripe about is that access to new maps (which came with the expansion obviously) must not be GATED.

and about my multi accounting, i foresaw that my playtime on an account can be interrupted for some time (e.g. suspensions). so i bought some accounts. not to mention the laurels.

so yeah.

Except the new maps don't come with the expansions.From the (official) wiki: The episodes serve as the ongoing storyline between expansions.

And since the only requirement to play them free is to actually, you know, PLAY the game, it's hard to see a problem here.

@Goettel.4389 said:

@"zionophir.6845" said:ya'll been mistaken lel.

so yeah.

Except the new maps don't come with the expansions.From the (official) wiki: The episodes serve as the ongoing storyline
between
expansions.

And since the only requirement to play them free is to actually, you know, PLAY the game, it's hard to see a problem here.

yeah, if you mean play the game is "to get/farm 50 gold and unlock the map", yeah.

@zionophir.6845 said:

@zionophir.6845 said:ya'll been mistaken lel.

so yeah.

Except the new maps don't come with the expansions.From the (official) wiki: The episodes serve as the ongoing storyline
between
expansions.

yeah, if you mean play the game is "to get/farm 50 gold and unlock the map", yeah.

Nope, if you're account was active, and logged in during the release periods, you'd have gotten them for free, that's the only requirement to get them for free. I've got LS 4 free, because I evidently hit the log in dates on accident, while I was busy with other stuff. I wasn't around for LS 2 or 3, so I had to buy them. That's the way it goes, and if I decide I want another account, I'll have to buy all of them to current, because the account didn't exist, and therefore can't have been logged in at the appropriate times.

@"zionophir.6845" said:yeah, if you mean play the game is "to get/farm 50 gold and unlock the map", yeah.

No it means you should have be online on that account when you had the chance to get the content for free. I'm supposing you knew that but didn't. Which is why you should read the label of products you buy.

@Goettel.4389 said:

@"zionophir.6845" said:yeah, if you mean play the game is "to get/farm 50 gold and unlock the map", yeah.

No it means you should have be online on that account when you had the chance to get the content for free. I'm supposing you knew that but didn't. Which is why you should read the label of products you buy.

i mentioned in original post that i bought HoT late on my other account. so i don't have the HoT LS unlocked.

and as a consequence, i have to get 200gems to get into Ember Bay.

@Graymalkyn.8076 said:You can buy 800 gems for $10. That makes 200 gems = $2.50. You can't even get a mediocre fast food burger for that.

i've farmed gold for 11 Black Lion Keys by changing gold to gems (coz i wanted something unique to do) so 50 gold is not even a problem.

the reason that i posted that is that access to new maps must be on the fly and not GATED as long as you have expansions. They can gem Gate the other LS episodes, which is not a problem to me.

@zionophir.6845 said:

@zionophir.6845 said:yeah, if you mean play the game is "to get/farm 50 gold and unlock the map", yeah.

i mentioned in original post that i bought HoT late on my other account. so i don't have the HoT LS unlocked.

and as a consequence, i have to get 200gems to get into Ember Bay.Indeed you do. Didn't you know that before you got the other account?

Look, I get it, but surely you realize that having more than one account puts you in a very, very small percentage of ANet customers.Their products are catering to 99% of their clientele. That's just good business, so don't sweat it :-) 200 gems really is chump-change, and it's not like you didn't know, right?

@zionophir.6845 said:

@"Graymalkyn.8076" said:You can buy 800 gems for $10. That makes 200 gems = $2.50. You can't even get a mediocre fast food burger for that.

i've farmed gold for 11 Black Lion Keys by changing gold to gems (coz i wanted something unique to do) so 50 gold is not even a problem.

the reason that i posted that is that access to new maps must be on the fly and not GATED as long as you have expansions. They can gem Gate the other LS episodes, which is not a problem to me.

I see. So it's ok to gem gate what you don't care about, but by god, they need to open up what you do want?

Seriously, tho, what you are asking for is akin to saying " I have a [gas station X] card, and I put gas in my first car, so the gas in my second car should be free."

@zionophir.6845 said:im not advocating that i should get the ls's unlocked based on my main account which has all ls unlocked. they are different and separate accounts. the thing that i gripe about is that access to new maps (which came with the expansion obviously) must not be GATED.

The map is part of the ls episode, not the expansion. For people who don't care about the story, it's the main piece of content for the ls episode. Starting with LS3, each episode adds a new map, with an associated storyline and masteries, achievements, skins, and so on.

@Graymalkyn.8076 said:

@Graymalkyn.8076 said:You can buy 800 gems for $10. That makes 200 gems = $2.50. You can't even get a mediocre fast food burger for that.

I see. So it's ok to gem gate what you don't care about, but by god, they need to open up what you do want?

Seriously, tho, what you are asking for is akin to saying " I have a [gas station X] card, and I put gas in my first car, so the gas in my second car should be free."

do i friggin sound selfish here? am i only the one who bought HoT late?

wtf. lel.

and as i've said, different accounts are not linked. so what was been unlocked in my main cannot be linked to the other and carry over the unlocks (what have you pushing and stressing is akin to that if i unlocked Eternity on my main, there should be a mechanism to be unlocked it in the other account, lel.), except that the other must ACCESS the NEW MAPS without GATING.

@zionophir.6845 said:the reason that i posted that is that access to new maps must be on the fly and not GATED as long as you have expansions. They can gem Gate the other LS episodes, which is not a problem to me.

Maps added with HoT:

• Verdant Brink
  • Auric Basin
  • Tangled Depths
  • Dragon's Stand
  • Bloodstone Fen

Maps added with LS3: (also requires HOT, but requires buying LS3 episode)

• Bloodstone Fen
  • Ember Bay
  • Bitterfrost Frontier
  • Lake Doric
  • Draconis Mons
  • Siren's Landing

Maps added with PoF:

• Crystal Oasis
  • Desert Highlands
  • Elon Riverlands
  • The Desolation
  • Domain of Vabbi.

Maps added with LS4: (also requires POF, but requires buying LS4 episode)

• Domain of Istan
  • Sandswept Isles
  • Domain of Kourna
  • Jahai Bluffs
  • Thunderhead Peaks

So by this Ember Bay is a LS3 release, and not part of HOT expansion. Thus you do not get automatic access to it just because you have HOT. (But you need HOT to be able to access it, even if you do have it).

All the new maps introduced with LS episodes, require you to unlock that episode (Either gems, or getting it free for logging on in the time window).

The map itself, for various reasons, is one of the main lures and reasons a lot of people buy/play the new LS, especially for those that aren't interested in the story but enjoy exploration. Requesting that the map be released separated from the story is likely to lower the sales of LS episodes for ANet, so I wouldn't expect them to even consider it.

@zionophir.6845 said:

do i friggin sound selfish here? am i only the one who bought HoT late?

kitten. lel.

and as i've said, different accounts are not linked. so what was been unlocked in my main cannot be linked to the other and carry over the unlocks (what have you pushing and stressing is akin to that if i unlocked Eternity on my main, there should be a mechanism to be unlocked it in the other account, lel.), except that the other must ACCESS the NEW MAPS without GATING.

But as poster above you stated it dont work like that, if you hit the dates living story season 3 episodes was live on even a free to play account you should have them unlocked when buying expansion.

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:Also, when an expansion is purchased doesn't matter. Even if you don't own the corresponding x-pack you still "bank" episodes so that they're unlocked as soon as you do buy it.

Archived