Can we have an official statement regarding DirectX 12 mod for gw2?

This is likely - - unofficial, but - - allowed. It's covered as "use at your own risk" because it can have unforeseen issues like the client crashing, etc. It doesn't modify anything more than Reshade does. There is also one of these that converts DX9 calls to Vulkan.

The chances of you getting banned for wanting better performance are so small that I would say they are non-existant.

Use it if you want.

@Sileeent.5861 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:Before I upgraded my pc, my old pc had a huge amount of fps gain.The advantages of DX12 should always be higher with bad CPUs. But the question is whether this modification brings significant improvements. If the graphics suddenly look bad and the FPS have improved a bit, then I would wonder if this isn't a consequence of the reduced details instead of DX12. For me it was that many textures were loaded very late and the longer I was on a map, the more normal the FPS was.

It caches the shaders for optimization. This takes time any time you run into something new, it's the same as an emulator or other game, but it requires more time because it has to wait on the original Api and then convert them. I had around a 20 to 30 FPS bump.

It's highly dependent on you hardware and your results will vary.

@Sileeent.5861 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:Before I upgraded my pc, my old pc had a huge amount of fps gain.The advantages of DX12 should always be higher with bad CPUs. But the question is whether this modification brings significant improvements. If the graphics suddenly look bad and the FPS have improved a bit, then I would wonder if this isn't a consequence of the reduced details instead of DX12. For me it was that many textures were loaded very late and the longer I was on a map, the more normal the FPS was.

The initial load is always very slow since it needed to create cache for them. After which, the loading speed improve. I don't notice graphic going bad unless you are comparing it with and without reshade like features?

• 1 month later...

If it doesn't change anything but the performance then I'd say its safe. However, If it should in the future do something unintended like let you see past walls or something. Then I would remove it.... I can't see them perma banning people if like a weird bug happened with it that let you see behind walls or something. Honestly I think they would issue a warning and that's when you better jump ship. If they did banpeople for it, then we will form..... a super group to fight anet. OR maybe we wouldn't need to because it would be terrible publicity if they did that.

So imo I think its safe to use as long as it does what it says. Its stupid to walk on all these eggshells. ... People have been using graphic enhancing mods for years... all this is doing is giving your cpu a boost in performance with this game.

• 10 months later...

@Marasmic.6819 said:Sorry for bumping an old thread, but has anyone actually poked through the source code on this to see what it's actually doing? I really want to try it out, but I don't trust software coded by some random guy on the internet.

There was already a debacle on Reddit last year because of a bunch of whiners flaming the creator. Follow the links to (or google) the Github page. It's nothing more than a Direct3D9 to Direct3D12 wrapper. No different than, Sven's Glide to GL, DXVK, or DGVoodoo. Built for GW2 specifically, the wrapper alleviates overhead in D3D9 that causes framedrops when turning, and generally offers a mild average framerate increase depending on your hardware.

The worst that has happened was occasional crashes that were fixed LONG ago during the Thunderpeak season, and more recently in the Bjora strike, the walls wouldn't render. That was also fixed in the next update. Compatibility with other mods through chainloading has also improved over time.

I literally never play this game without this wrapper now, because now I can play with all max settings barring models and shadows, except in core Tyria zones where Ultra shadows is usable. If you don't believe me, I can upload Shadowplay videos with the RTSS overlay running.

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:

@"Marasmic.6819" said:Sorry for bumping an old thread, but has anyone actually poked through the source code on this to see what it's actually doing? I really want to try it out, but I don't trust software coded by some random guy on the internet.

There was already a debacle on Reddit last year because of a bunch of whiners flaming the creator. Follow the links to (or google) the Github page. It's nothing more than a Direct3D9 to Direct3D12 wrapper. No different than, Sven's Glide to GL, DXVK, or DGVoodoo. Built for GW2 specifically, the wrapper alleviates overhead in D3D9 that causes framedrops when turning, and generally offers a mild average framerate increase depending on your hardware.

The worst that has happened was occasional crashes that were fixed LONG ago during the Thunderpeak season, and more recently in the Bjora strike, the walls wouldn't render. That was also fixed in the next update. Compatibility with other mods through chainloading has also improved over time.

I literally never play this game without this wrapper now, because now I can play with all max settings barring models and shadows, except in core Tyria zones where Ultra shadows is usable. If you don't believe me, I can upload Shadowplay videos with the RTSS overlay running.That's not really the problem, is it?

It could easily introduce "additional features" in an update - just like Anet did with a certain secret patch that scanned your computer for "additional features" and was then quickly removed. That its currently just fine doesnt change the fact the DX12 mod is completely outside of Anets control and thus will never be "officially" approved nor can they promise to "never ban" people over it. That's just not how software works.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Marasmic.6819" said:Sorry for bumping an old thread, but has anyone actually poked through the source code on this to see what it's actually doing? I really want to try it out, but I don't trust software coded by some random guy on the internet.

I literally never play this game without this wrapper now, because now I can play with all max settings barring models and shadows, except in core Tyria zones where Ultra shadows is usable. If you don't believe me, I can upload Shadowplay videos with the RTSS overlay running.That's not really the problem, is it?

It could easily introduce "additional features" in an update - just like Anet did with a certain secret patch that scanned your computer for "additional features" and was then quickly removed. That its currently just fine doesnt change the fact the DX12 mod is completely outside of Anets control and thus will never be "officially" approved nor can they promise to "never ban" people over it. That's just not how software works.

Well, for one thing, it isn't a self-updating program or anything. You have to update it yourself with installing a new version. So....paranoid much?

Simple fact is this:It does not give another player an advantage over another in-game.It does not automate actions.

A large portion of the player base are using itBanning players now for using it (after it has been in use for over a year) would result in a massive uproar against ANET and significant bad press.

ANET would have to release a statement to the community first telling people to stop using it and give a grace window for this to apply like they did with gw2bagwam DPS metre (which broke TOS).

@Thomanson.4765 said:

Well, for one thing, it isn't a self-updating program or anything. You have to update it yourself with installing a new version. So....paranoid much?Which matters how exactly?

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:

@Marasmic.6819 said:Sorry for bumping an old thread, but has anyone actually poked through the source code on this to see what it's actually doing? I really want to try it out, but I don't trust software coded by some random guy on the internet.

I literally never play this game without this wrapper now, because now I can play with all max settings barring models and shadows, except in core Tyria zones where Ultra shadows is usable. If you don't believe me, I can upload Shadowplay videos with the RTSS overlay running.

Yeah.. I mean I don't doubt that it works and I appreciate the work the devs do, but I just don't want to dig through 3000 lines of code and compile it myself to make sure it isn't doing something malicious. I'm probably not savvy enough to be able to figure out if it was doing something it wasn't supposed to anyways.

@Marasmic.6819 said:

Yeah.. I mean I don't doubt that it works and I appreciate the work the devs do, but I just don't want to dig through 3000 lines of code and compile it myself to make sure it isn't doing something malicious. I'm probably not savvy enough to be able to figure out if it was doing something it wasn't supposed to anyways.

I believe the dev open sourced the project a while back for ppl to actually look through for anything malicious.

Correct me if i am wrong, but d912pxy support two ncsoft games. Guild Wars 2 and Blade and Soul.

Over time their whales who can afford highend PCs have gravitated to it. It has gained a massive following over the years.

There would be a huge income loss if they banned these users. We will not even discuss the PR side.

If it was a problem, we would have heard about it on either forum by now.

All it does is help the game run better by utilizing more redources and dx12. Without arenanet having to devote time and resources to do it themselves. That way they are not liable for bugs or glitches.

I would love if arenanet had natice support which would significantly incease perfomance while making d912pxy useless. That is something we can all get behind.

When you think about it. They have a lot to lose but nothing to win by making such a decision.

If you think about it. Its no different than upgrading your CPU.