[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

@Etria.3642 said:

@Gambino.2109 said:Question guys, if Anet was to rework this to eliminate these terrible time gates.. after the first wave of players went through it..

Would you (being one of those first wavers) be upset knowing that you went through with this and suddenly everyone else doesn't have to?

Or would you be happy no one else has to go through this discouraging nonsense, like your friends/family guildies or anyone that comes along and questions how difficult it is because they wanted to give it a try.

I would be happy to tell the other people I play GW2 with that they don't have to worry about the daily reset so much, and that they could start the collection now.

Why wouldn't they start it anyway?

They're discouraged by the severity of the timegate.

@Kidel.2057 said:

@Starfall Leyline.2481 said:It means I wait longer, sure, but it's still attached to a story.1 real-life day is 12 days in gw2. That part is completely pointless outside the time sink and the need for daily logins.Not to mention that the skyscale can eat 14 monster parts in 10 seconds (even after a full meal) but needs to wait 12 days between meals.

Did I say the story was perfect? No, but I can run with it just the same. Ideally we'd be logging in daily to do other things anyway, and the whole collection bit is to get us to discover or rediscover areas we previously visited, perhaps giving us even more reason to log in. The 10 event lane requirement introduces people to the meta event and gets more people participating. With the egg collections, I discovered parts of the game I didn't even know existed, like the dwarven elemental rooms which I ended up going back to do for the fun of it. The story isn't perfect, but it's there. I don't care about some minor discrepancy in how much the hatchling can eat.

@Starfall Leyline.2481 said:

@Starfall Leyline.2481 said:It means I wait longer, sure, but it's still attached to a story.1 real-life day is 12 days in gw2. That part is completely pointless outside the time sink and the need for daily logins.Not to mention that the skyscale can eat 14 monster parts in 10 seconds (even after a full meal) but needs to wait 12 days between meals.

Did I say the story was perfect? No, but I can run with it just the same. Ideally we'd be logging in daily to do other things anyway, and the whole collection bit is to get us to discover or rediscover areas we previously visited, perhaps giving us even more reason to log in. The 10 event lane requirement introduces people to the meta event and gets more people participating. With the egg collections, I discovered parts of the game I didn't even know existed, like the dwarven elemental rooms which I ended up going back to do for the fun of it. The story isn't perfect, but it's there. I don't care about some minor discrepancy in how much the hatchling can eat.

Nobody here is complaining about that. I'm sure a reasonable person as yourself would understand that.

And I personaly don't give a rat's ass about timegating. I just find hilarious that we have to spend 8-26 days on a lesser Springer when I was promised a lesser Aurene. For more constructive criticism about this, check https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/924588/#Comment_924588

@Kidel.2057 said:

@"LucianDK.8615" said:Personally I think its a slippery slope cathering to the impatient and entitled.

The only use case for the Skyscale is to afk over mobs or in town.
Period
. This post here sums it up quite well:

Period? So, "My opinion" Period. - I enjoy flying it more than the griffon. I think it needs to be stronger and I
still
enjoy it more than the griffon, and once I get mine it will become my main flying mount. So the applicable use-cases for the Skyscale are well beyond an afk flying mount for those who enjoy it. I find it easier to fly, I find it easier to stay aloft. I can use the endurance refill to maintain altitude over an almost indefinite span, and eventually we'll be getting a stamina-renewing ability with the endurance bar. That's a highly capable mount.

The fact that you "enjoy it" is, by definition, subjective. So not what I was talking about (if you want my opinion, I enjoy most of it too).

Everyone of us who has analyzed the skyscale and
what can actually do
knows that the Springer is objectively better in vertical movement and that gliding is objectively better in horizontal movement (yes, gliding, not Griffon).

The fact that you find "highly capable" is irrelevant since the Springer+gliding is free and better. In a game with no Springer and no Griffon? Sure, this mount will be awesome, but in the current state it doesn't really matter. Can't go higher than a Springer, can't go further than gliding, doesn't have a strong engage skill.

Sorry pal :\

Nobody in a hurry or that wants to be productive will ever prefer this mount (in its current state) over Springer/Griffon. It would be used just for fun or to afk / show off.

I'm sure someone else has said this, but no one has even gotten the masteries for this mount yet or been able to fully test it, so I take analysis thusfar with a grain of salt. Most of the salt (speaking of) is surrounding the time gates (not you specifically but just in general). It seems like people have been quick to find fault with it primarily because they're miffed over the acquisition. I think it needs more stamina, but I've already found it to be a very capable mount and that isn't even at its strongest. Plus, it's new, so patches and tweaks are likely to happen. Will people mind the time gates less if/when the Skyscale itself is improved?

If everyone is in a hurry, they can use the griffon's dive speed boost, sure. That's it's unique ability. For long distances if you aren't particularly worried about speed or treating everything like an obstacle course (and I mean that literally, dodging trees and obstacles when using the griffon's speed, which I've mostly only found useful in the griffon flying courses), Skyscale has its place.

And I really do think there's a bias against it. Why in heck would people consider an analysis final when we don't even have the masteries yet?

@"LucianDK.8615" said:Personally I think its a slippery slope cathering to the impatient and entitled. There are also screenshots and quotes from the stream.

Period

Period? So, "My opinion" Period. - I enjoy flying it more than the griffon. I think it needs to be stronger and I
still
enjoy it more than the griffon, and once I get mine it will become my main flying mount. So the applicable use-cases for the Skyscale are well beyond an afk flying mount for those who enjoy it. I find it easier to fly, I find it easier to stay aloft. I can use the endurance refill to maintain altitude over an almost indefinite span, and eventually we'll be getting a stamina-renewing ability with the endurance bar. That's a highly capable mount.

The fact that you "enjoy it" is, by definition, subjective. So not what I was talking about (if you want my opinion, I enjoy most of it too).

what can actually do
knows that the Springer is objectively better in vertical movement and that gliding is objectively better in horizontal movement (yes, gliding, not Griffon).

The fact that you find "highly capable" is irrelevant since the Springer+gliding is free and better. In a game with no Springer and no Griffon? Sure, this mount will be awesome, but in the current state it doesn't really matter. Can't go higher than a Springer, can't go further than gliding, doesn't have a strong engage skill.

Nobody in a hurry or that wants to be productive will ever prefer this mount (in its current state) over Springer/Griffon. It would be used just for fun or to afk / show off.

I'm sure someone else has said this, but no one has even gotten the masteries for this mount yet or been able to fully test it, so I take analysis thusfar with a grain of salt.Yes, it has been said and dismantled. Again, check the link I've provided.

Most of the salt (speaking of) is surrounding the time gates (not you specifically but just in general). It seems like people have been quick to find fault with it primarily because they're miffed over the acquisition.Some of the initial comments. Now about timegating itself I'd say it's 50/50, with some moderated opinions (like mine).

I think it needs more stamina, but I've already found it to be a very capable mount and that isn't even at its strongest. Plus, it's new, so patches and tweaks are likely to happen.I agree, it needs more stamina and it's capable. Not enough capable, that's my whole point. The fact that you haven't analized it yet should make you consider looking more into it, instead of just saying that it's fine as it is. I can assure that "being fine" is not the issue here. It's simply not enough.

Will people mind the time gates less if/when the Skyscale itself is improved?Some will. I can argue that most will. The ones remeining will be a maybe vocal minority. You can't please everyone.

If everyone is in a hurry, they can use the griffon's dive speed boost, sure. That's it's unique ability. For long distances if you aren't particularly worried about speed or treating everything like an obstacle course (and I mean that literally, dodging trees and obstacles when using the griffon's speed, which I've mostly only found useful in the griffon flying courses), Skyscale has its place.If everyone is in a hurry, they can use springer + gliding and the'll reach higher places in less time. That's exactly the problem. The mount is not designed to compete with Griffon, but to compete with springer. It should have been just slower, but it fails under multiple aspects.

And I really do think there's a bias against it. Why in heck would people consider an analysis final when we don't even have the masteries yet?Because we have seen a stream showcasing the masteries. The first 2 masteries don't change the movement and the third one converts 1 stamina bar into 66% fo flight meter. It's irrelevant to the grabbing issue and the fact that you can't recover flight meter on very high walls (like the springer can do thanks to small ledges).

Reference: (about 44:16)

@Lauren.3061 said:

@Judah Rahab.5716 said:I honestly feel like
MOST
of you complaining are really ungrateful. You get a bunch of new content and you jump right to complaining. What happened to real gamers that play games for fun rather than just rewards and getting stuff right away with little to no effort. It's so annoying always hearing your guys complaining. When are you guys ever grateful?

I'm by no means a serial complainer here, and it's kind of sad hearing you make loads of assumptions about players that have issues with how this collection was conceived. For me, it's as simple as - I don't think this mount is anywhere near useful or cool enough to warrant the collection set being as difficult as it is, and I really wish it had been done like the roller beetle collection. No drawn-out feeding steps, just collections focused on scavenger hunts (like the first few skyscale collections) and then on old PoF events, and then done!

I think GW2 is a beautiful game, with loads to enjoy, and I'm really appreciative of the developers' time in making such a great world for us. It's just my belief that they stepped away from their normal way of designing rewards in the game in this instance. This collection set is much much longer than any previous mount, and for me, the skyscale is pretty blah and not worth the effort. But if you love it, good for you! But please don't call those of us that don't a bunch of whiners, simply because we're giving feedback. Thanks!

If you read what I wrote it addressed the whining in the community not calling anyone who disagrees with me a whiner. Very different things; one is a shallow thought and the other addressing a real issue. You can disagree with me but from what I and a large number of friends in game see constantly is complaining in chats, forums and Reddit that don't reflex the majority of the community and are destructive. By no means did I ever state anyone who doesn't like the new mount collection is wrong to feel that way. If you look through a lot of the posts you will find so many negative comments that offer nothing other than negativity. That is what I'm referring to. Your comment is a valid one with a mix of emotions and facts not just a statement like: this game sucks burrr. So comments like yours I welcome whole heartedly even though I don't agree with some of it.

I honestly dont care to much about the timegate...sure it sucks, but its not a big deal to me...what really pisses me off is the colections...first search for scales...then for Skyscales, and now eggs...come on, I did the same thing 3 times in a row with diferent names lol its not fun, theres no challange on it, theres nothing...one colection that makes you search for the whole map is okay, but this many is ridiculous.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015"@"Kidel.2057"I was watching the video that Kidel linked, and I noticed that as the devs were talking about the mount, they constantly refer to the dragon as "he" so I feel vindicated in my gender choice, haha! Choose ye gender freely, and be not dismayed by the tyranny of mission writers!

I find it amazing that ANet have not even uttered a word about this at all, other that to tell us they'll talk about the skyscale on the 24th.

People are annoyed by the time gates, they have been hated since they where introduced with Ascended weapons, but at least you could "buy" your way around the time gates. These ones are just imposed on players for zero good reason. Say9ng it's to keep people playing the map is the worst reason ever, if the map is fun, people will play it. The level of frustration I personally feel by this decision and design choice is one of, I'm gonna play something else and not bother playing GW2. I'm playing login wars right now, because there is no point in being locked in to how much I can do at any given time.

Seeing as I'm the kind of player who can't play for hours at a time because of real life. The time gates will make it so when I do get the time to do it, I'd end up being stopped by the time gates. Where the fun in that? Having time gated crafted items is also annoying. Its 2019 and we still have to live if the poor choices of the past, and have people tell me that time.gates are a good thing when they are not. Not when it stops people having fun, and turns a game in to a job with a deadline and a check list.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015"@"Kidel.2057"I was watching the video that Kidel linked, and I noticed that as the devs were talking about the mount, they constantly refer to the dragon as "he" so I feel vindicated in my gender choice, haha! Choose ye gender freely, and be not dismayed by the tyranny of mission writers!

I don't really give a rat's ass about that either to be completely honest. :)But from your reply (or lack of) I get that probably you also noticed that the Skyscale has some issues that we hope will be solved soon.

@BrotherBelial.3094I find it amazing that ANet have not even uttered a word about this at all, other that to tell us they'll talk about the skyscale on the 24th.Probably because it's the weekend and they didn't have all the staff to discuss about it. I guess we'll hear more from them tomorrow or probably the day after.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:Lol complaining about a time gate of 5 days like there is no future... You will forget about it in 7 days you ever have done that. Get a grip and just play 10mins a day kitten.

It took me like 8 hours earlier to do this first part of the collection. And I only spent that much time because I dedicated my day to it. If you only spend 10 minutes a day to get this mount, it will most likely, if following the same pace, take weeks to get. And I used a guide for the eggs and sick Skyscale parts. For new players that don’t know where to find guides and are doing these on their own, the collections themselves could be a major turn off to the game, not to mention a lack of understanding as to why they can’t continue the rest of the collection.

Either do a long tedious collection with no time gate, or do a simplified collection with a time gate. Doing both is just drastically unnecessary.

And I’d like to further the sentiments that this kind of game design is exactly why I got absolutely sick of world of Warcraft. Just day after day of the the same fetch quests and chores with that shiny carrot on the stick. I didn’t like it with the golem backpack, but it was a cosmetic item. Wayfarer’s Henge was a cosmetic item.

Here we have a map that is heavily designed with this new mount in mind, but our only option is 1. Do over half of the story on a character if you want to be able to borrow one. 2. Borrow it, collect something or get dismounted and have to find a new one that will last one charge.

And these collections are just dull in general, at least so far. You essentially make three laps around the map looking for clickable items in abstract places while dealing with the frustration of knowing that these laps would be significantly easier if you didn’t have to backtrack or go out of your way to find a mount to borrow or just the right amount of ledge to use your springer to leap onto.

I think it gives a worse impression and creates more angst with the map than is deserved. I don’t usually agree with the statement that mounts should be solely obtained within the story, but I think for this one instance it probably would have been the better decision.

I agree with you, but your math is off.

If you spent 8 hours = 480 minsAnd someone spends 10 mins a day to do the same thingThat's 48 days.Realistically speaking, that will end up being MORE than 2 months.

@misterman.1530 said:

@"LucianDK.8615" said:Personally I think its a slippery slope cathering to the impatient and entitled.

Entitled? Really? Why is hating time-gating being entitled?

Didn't you know? You have to swallow every poor decision made by a game company and just accept it, otherwise you're a "toxic entitled gamer."Do you guys not have phones? Like honestly. /sarcasm

But in all seriousness I'd like an actual argument to back that up too.

If the argument is that the collections are too easy, and that's why no time-gates is like just handing it to us, then the solution is simple, ramp up the difficulty. Force people to solo something big to really earn it. Let's go "Sekiro Souls Wars 2".

@Kidel.2057 said:

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015"@Kidel.2057I was watching the video that Kidel linked, and I noticed that as the devs were talking about the mount, they constantly refer to the dragon as "he" so I feel vindicated in my gender choice, haha! Choose ye gender freely, and be not dismayed by the tyranny of mission writers!

I don't really give a rat's kitten about that either to be completely honest. :)

Oh, I didn't assume you did, and it's not a huge thing to me either. It's more just something "I would have liked." I found it funny and I wasn't the only person to notice. I just continue with my chosen headcanon.

Anyway, more to the point, I did review the video since I'm off work now. My stance hasn't really changed: that I think it needs more stamina to open up the elevation a bit and the horizontal "consumption" of stamina needs to be more forgiving. If they resolved those, I think the mount would be great. I expect tweaks to be made in coming patches once people have given a lot of feedback on the skyscale itself. My point of contention is that I think many people are going overboard with their hate on the mount and acquisition. Those of us who don't mind the collection aren't as affected, but to quote myself from a much earlier post, "While I'm happy to go through this journey, I'd be even happier if Anet made it a mount that felt worthy of the collection." (paraphrased)

So I think you and I agree more than disagree. I just find much of people's blatant ire at the time-gating... pointless if not distasteful and overly militant. I don't think it's right to act as though Anet has slapped them in the face over this, which is the reaction a lot of people have been giving.

@Kidel.2057 said:

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015"@Kidel.2057I was watching the video that Kidel linked, and I noticed that as the devs were talking about the mount, they constantly refer to the dragon as "he" so I feel vindicated in my gender choice, haha! Choose ye gender freely, and be not dismayed by the tyranny of mission writers!

I don't really give a rat's kitten about that either to be completely honest. :)But from your reply (or lack of) I get that probably you also noticed that the Skyscale has some issues that we hope will be solved soon.

@"BrotherBelial.3094 "I find it amazing that ANet have not even uttered a word about this at all, other that to tell us they'll talk about the skyscale on the 24th.Probably because it's the weekend and they didn't have all the staff to discuss about it. I guess we'll hear more from them tomorrow or probably the day after.

No, that's not it. People have been complaining about it since Tuesday. It should not take a week to tell your players, "we are looking in to changes" or "its staying as it is" silence is just a way of ignoring the problem and hope it goes away, and people find something else to complain about.

The fact that they didn't. Mention a single thing about the time gates or the collection just added fuel to the fire.

The Skyscale was the biggest incentive and advertised part of the patch. Expectations where of being able to get it on short order. The reality is a collection that is time gated for no good reason, and a collection on par with the effort needed to make a legendary weapon.

They have done an amazing job of killing the hype for many outside of the people who love to grind/can play to make sure the daily reset is a non issue for them.

I was hyped to get a new mount, now I can't be bothered to login any longer than it takes to collect the login reward.

@BrotherBelial.3094 said:

I don't really give a rat's kitten about that either to be completely honest. :)But from your reply (or lack of) I get that probably you also noticed that the Skyscale has some issues that we hope will be solved soon.

@"BrotherBelial.3094 "I find it amazing that ANet have not even uttered a word about this at all, other that to tell us they'll talk about the skyscale on the 24th.Probably because it's the weekend and they didn't have all the staff to discuss about it. I guess we'll hear more from them tomorrow or probably the day after.

No, that's not it. People have been complaining about it since Tuesday. It should not take a week to tell your players, "we are looking in to changes" or "its staying as it is" silence is just a way of ignoring the problem and hope it goes away, and people find something else to complain about.

The fact that they didn't. Mention a single thing about the time gates or the collection just added fuel to the fire.

The Skyscale was the biggest incentive and advertised part of the patch. Expectations where of being able to get it on short order. The reality is a collection that is time gated for no good reason, and a collection on par with the effort needed to make a legendary weapon.

They have done an amazing job of killing the hype for many outside of the people who love to grind/can play to make sure the daily reset is a non issue for them.

I was hyped to get a new mount, now I can't be bothered to login any longer than it takes to collect the login reward.

It does take a while to get people together. This is part of what irks me about responses such as this. The fact of the matter is, they need to discuss all changes, and not just discuss them, they have to figure out how to change things without breaking other things, or the content itself. It can often require intensive alterations to game mechanics and code in order to implement changes. Changing the time-gate from daily reset to in-game days, for example, is not as trivial as you might think. Not to mention if they were to make changes to content, they have to figure out how to do it without breaking it for people who have already started.

And that's not factoring in all of the other things they have to juggle unplanned changes into. They aren't just sitting on their thumbs waiting for a job request to come up, they're working on other parts of the game, and very likely future chapters, so setting aside time to go back and redo other parts of the game takes time.

So yes, that is exactly it. They're regrouping to try and discuss how to handle it. There are more than one possible solutions for them to discuss and decide on, and then act on.

@Kidel.2057 said:

Period

still

what can actually do

the springer has the advantage of standing on very narrow corners where as the Skyscale will just stick itself to the first non-horizontal terrain it can find and then you’re stuck.

I dunno, i cant twirl through the sky on a springer, nor on a glider.

And if there's floating magic about, collecting it with the skyscale is "objectively" better than any other mount.

But hey, I'm just on a borrowed mount, I guess with masteries it can do even less...

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

Period

still

what can actually do

the springer has the advantage of standing on very narrow corners where as the Skyscale will just stick itself to the first non-horizontal terrain it can find and then you’re stuck.

I dunno, i cant twirl through the sky on a springer, nor on a glider.

And if there's floating magic about, collecting it with the skyscale is "objectively" better than any other mount.

But hey, I'm just on a borrowed mount, I guess with masteries it can do even less...

You can't with Skyscale either (if by "twirl" you don't mean hover in position without moving). That's the issue.Its only unique trait is that you can hover without moving above spots. It's an "afk hovermount", as multiple people said in this thread (with multiple expressions). It's basically useless in exploration if you don't want to chill or waste time, and doesn't have the best engage skill (that would be Springer/Jackal or sometimes Raptor). It's just to show off at the moment.

The Rift Repair paths are situational at best. Similar to the Jackal portals.

It seriously needs the wall clinging mechanic fixed, dome more horizontal movement (at least better than gliding) and maybe a third stamina bar.

@Kidel.2057 said:

@Starfall Leyline.2481 said:So I think you and I agree more than disagree.With this last post, I do, sure.

That post and my previous posts haven't really said anything different. It was more just addressed directly to you rather than to the general topic. My opinion has always been that the Skyscale needs to be stronger for time invested, but that it isn't a bad mount. And my opinion used to be that I disliked the timegates, but as I've done the collections, I changed over to where I enjoyed them. I haven't really changed my tune at all aside from that. If you go through my previous posts, you'll find I do reiterate I think the Skyscale needs to be improved, though I do mention I think people don't give it enough credit even for what it is (or, stated differently, dish it too much hate for what it isn't).

@"Absconditus.6804" said:All I did in GW2 today, was log in, press a hotkey 3 times, then log out. Feeding the Skyscale is such riveting gameplay. I look forward to the following 2 days of the same exact experience, then another 24h where I can't do anything thanks to another daily reset wall. Can't wait to see how fast I can log off GW2 during the next stage(s).

The fact that you don't find anything else in the game interesting to do except press that hotkey three times and then come back to post about it is not indicative of a bad game or a bad feature. Sorry, but that's just you not being interested in doing anything else. I logged in, pressed my hotkey three times, fed it some treats, played the flute for the heck of it, and then went to other parts of the game to work on achievement completion and map completion since I have several I'm still working on. If that isn't your thing, that's fine, but I'm sorry that you're missing out on most of the game experience. But don't behave like the skyscale collection is the
only
thing to do with the game, please.

Why did you decide that I have nothing else I want to do in the game and state that as a fact? Yes, I logged out after just a minute yesterday. I wrote right below my sarcastic remarks which were quoted that I am feeling demotivated, so I'd imagine that is why I logged out, right? — "Some will find it ridiculous, but this timegated collection has ruined any drive I have to play the game beyond doing the little I can do of the collection, such few days after the initial excitement of the update going live." — I logged in and out just as fast today. I will do the same tomorrow. That doesn't mean I don't usually find other parts of the game interesting. The collection has just burned me out already.

Typically after an update I have an invigorated drive to play the game too, which is not the case this time, well after beginning the collections anyways. There's usually plenty of things I enjoy doing in Guild Wars 2, but I am demotivated right now because of the disastrously poorly implemented timegating of this particular content (— for clarity, that statement is a personal opinion, I guess that needs to be clarified). I like to set myself goals, then completing said goals at my own leisure, not when the game dictates that I can do it. I do tend to be pretty fast, but not so fast that I burn myself out on anything in particular if I don't feel like doing it at a given time. If I need a break, I take a break. After completion, I tend to enjoy other various content with the new "toy" I have obtained for myself. That's how I have, e.g., crafted 21 Legendary items over the years. The daily reset timegating has soured up my entire experience this time around however, since I am prevented from dedicating myself to the particular part of the content I want to dedicate myself to, when I want to dedicate myself to it. And it's not that I don't know there are other time limiting constraints in the game already, I've gone through a few in the past, but there are usually so much additional content to partake in for that particular goal you are working towards that these timegates aren't felt as harshly. At least there tends to be more to do than just being able to push a hotkey 3 times a day, then after 4 days, waiting another 24 hours. In my opinion, that's just frustrating and poorly implemented.

It isn't even the feeding part that really bugs me, even if I find it to be stupid and non-engaging. It's the daily reset nonsense that has gotten me frustrated and annoyed. I'm wired in such a way that I am highly dedicated when I set myself goals. So the daily reset made me feel pressured to complete entire collections that I would otherwise have spread out between doing other content, perhaps over a couple days, just to not miss the "daily reset deadline". Typically if I tired of something after a few hours, I go do other things in the game, but I don't want to spend 2 days to do a collection, then be forced to wait a third. So I felt "pressured" into doing these relatively big collections before the "deadline". Yes, I am aware that there are no gun to my head, I have written that in the past. I just dislike feeling like I am losing out if I don't do the collection in one sitting and are forced to wait even more. It's completely fine if you find that to be weird, mental, stupid, any or all of the above. That doesn't change that it is negatively affecting my experience playing the game. If it doesn't negatively impact you, then why are you defending it? Would your experience get worsened without the heavy timegating? If not, then why are you seemingly defending it and/or ArenaNet. If it is a positive in your gaming experience, care to share how?

@Starfall Leyline.2481 said:So I think you and I agree more than disagree.With this last post, I do, sure.

That post and my previous posts haven't really said anything different. It was more just addressed directly to you rather than to the general topic. My opinion has always been that the Skyscale needs to be stronger for time invested, but that it isn't a bad mount. And my opinion used to be that I disliked the timegates, but as I've done the collections, I changed over to where I enjoyed them. I haven't really changed my tune at all. If you go through my previous posts, you'll find I do reiterate I think the Skyscale needs to be improved, though I do mention I think people don't give it enough credit even for what it is.

I didn't mean to imply that you changed your mind, but just specify where I do agree with you.For example, while I may agree with you that the mount needs to be stronger in proportion to the time invested (so a lot), I also think it's relatively bad (as any flying mount that is inferior to gliding in some regard should be considered bad) and has some serious issues that need to be fixed, such as the fact that the wall clinging takes priority over trying to land on a ledge (see https://imgur.com/a/27bekmJ and partially https://imgur.com/a/9TMt1xj).

My personal opinion, and feel free to correct me, is that you didn't have enough time to review the mount as much as some of us did (not only with the Guild Chat video, but also with actual gameplay), so you didn't notice all its issues and you didn't notice how it pales in comparison to the free Springer, or how bad it is in horizontal movement compared to gliding (I don't think it's fair to compare it with Griffon, of course, but the fact exists that I can use Springer+Griffon as well).

And yet even you think that it needs some improvements. :)

@Gambino.2109 said:Question guys, if Anet was to rework this to eliminate these terrible time gates.. after the first wave of players went through it..

Would you (being one of those first wavers) be upset knowing that you went through with this and suddenly everyone else doesn't have to?I would be upset, i came in late in PoF, but still manage to get all mounts without having Anet smoothing up the terrain for me. Many have done it before me, so i see no reasons as to why i would have not beeen able to, in fact i had fun doing it and always found some nice souls to help me out when it was stuff i could not solo. Same thing for when i got Aurora, got a bit of help for the annoying and hard part, but still manage even if there was no ''train'' of players working on it.

Or would you be happy no one else has to go through this discouraging nonsense, like your friends/family guildies or anyone that comes along and questions how difficult it is because they wanted to give it a try.

About the mount, there is nothing difficult in any of the stuff required to obtain it, its just takes a bit of time and patience, after all aint life itself a time gated thing?

;)

@Kidel.2057 said:

That post and my previous posts haven't really said anything different. It was more just addressed directly to you rather than to the general topic. My opinion has always been that the Skyscale needs to be stronger for time invested, but that it isn't a bad mount. And my opinion used to be that I disliked the timegates, but as I've done the collections, I changed over to where I enjoyed them. I haven't really changed my tune at all. If you go through my previous posts, you'll find I do reiterate I think the Skyscale needs to be improved, though I do mention I think people don't give it enough credit even for what it is.

I didn't mean to imply that you changed your mind, but just specify where I do agree with you.For example, while I may agree with you that the mount needs to be stronger in proportion to the time invested (so a lot), I also think it's relatively bad (as any flying mount that is inferior to gliding in some regard should be considered bad) and has some serious issues that need to be fixed, such as the fact that the wall clinging takes priority over trying to land on a ledge (see
and partially
).

My personal opinion, and feel free to correct me, is that you didn't have enough time to review the mount as much as some of us did (not only with the Guild Chat video, but also with actual gameplay), so you didn't notice all its issues and you didn't notice how it pales in comparison to the free Springer, or how bad it is in horizontal movement compared to gliding (I don't think it's fair to compare it with Griffon, of course, but the fact exists that I can use Springer+Griffon as well).

And yet even you think that it needs
some
improvements. :)

I hadn't formulated them into specifics until I watched the livestream video and saw the clear-cut explanation of how it worked. I had time to work with the rental mounts, so my opinion on it needing to be stronger was based on my feel of it. For the video, I didn't realize they had ever demonstrated the masteries, so when I found out they had I dove right in to see (what I don't often have time for, or pay much attention to, are dev videos). I made a post in your other thread detailing what I'd like to see changed in the mount. That being said, in my own playing with the mount, I didn't find the wall cling to be overly annoying. I had just heard that they were going to give the ability to exchange endurance for stamina, and from there I went on the assumption that the places I couldn't land easily on I'd be able to just 'hop' over/onto.

For the record, I find your other thread to be a lot more constructive than this one has been in general, so kudos for that.

@Katastroff.1045 said:

Would you (being one of those first wavers) be upset knowing that you went through with this and suddenly everyone else doesn't have to?I would be upset, i came in late in PoF, but still manage to get all mounts without having Anet smoothing up the terrain for me. Many have done it before me, so i see no reasons as to why i would have not beeen able to, in fact i had fun doing it and always found some nice souls to help me out when it was stuff i could not solo. Same thing for when i got Aurora, got a bit of help for the annoying and hard part, but still manage even if there was no ''train'' of players working on it.

About the mount, there is nothing difficult in any of the stuff required to obtain it, its just takes a bit of time and patience, after all aint life itself a time gated thing?

;)

I can't think of the last time I saw a skyscale in Actual Life but I'll keep you posted.

@Judah Rahab.5716 said:If you read what I wrote it addressed the whining in the community not calling anyone who disagrees with me a whiner. Very different things; one is a shallow thought and the other addressing a real issue. You can disagree with me but from what I and a large number of friends in game see constantly is complaining in chats, forums and Reddit that don't reflex the majority of the community and are destructive. By no means did I ever state anyone who doesn't like the new mount collection is wrong to feel that way. If you look through a lot of the posts you will find so many negative comments that offer nothing other than negativity. That is what I'm referring to. Your comment is a valid one with a mix of emotions and facts not just a statement like: this game sucks burrr. So comments like yours I welcome whole heartedly even though I don't agree with some of it.Sure, I can understand that. I can also get people venting off steam, but it's certainly better to be constructive in giving feedback. One more issue about the collections that popped up while I was thinking about it last night - and I'd be curious what you think of it since you're more cool with the skyscale collections as they are than I am - is I'm worried at the kind of precedent this sets for future mount introductions. The next mount I was personally hoping we'd get was an underwater mount - but regardless of the type - what if ANet decides to keep ramping up the difficulty requirements of each mount they release? Perhaps requiring more and more days/timegates to complete it? What would be too much? I guess for me, I think the skyscale's already overkill, but I hope with any future mounts, they take into consideration that many players weren't happy with this level of complexity in the requirements, let alone more. What do you think of that issue?