Add pvp events to pve

In the preview and test weekends before GW2 release, there actually was one real PvP event in some Ascalon map. With a great and flashy announcement, the Shatterer landed in Plains of Ashford and converted some players to crystal monsters. They got a new appearance, new skill bar and were able to attack unconverted players on the map. A player defeated by a crystallized player became a crystal monster himself, changing sides, and was able to attack the yet unconverted players.

The idea was really nice, and even I liked it although I hate PvP in general.

As far as I remember, the issues with this concept is to make a long term repeatable event out of this. I remember counters of how many converted and how many unconverted players were present, but the final goal was not clear. I think, the main issue was to find out the criteria of how is someone or some side be declared winner. A major issue was probably that players who didn't like being crystallized simply left the map and make it even more difficult for the remaining to win.In the end, such thing isn't possible to balance correctly. As one shot in the beta it was great for the chaos and fun, but I understand why it didn't find its way into the main game as regular event. As regular event, people would analyze and decode the mechanics and would exploit every loophole in the balancing, making it impossible to make it a fair game. In the open world, it's too open. The PvP minigames are different: they are small and controlled, thus much more easy to balance.

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:I’ll repost what ANet has had to say about PvP on PvE maps

The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

Its interesting to read that its not a true open world pvp.Since they brought in Warclaw, I could agree with that. PvP is at an all time minimal.

The absence of the PvP from the PvE world is one of the reasons I play this game. Going further, I think PvP in the PvE maps will be a major step for toxicity and trolling activities. I can imagine a real lvl 15 in a low level map being hunted by lvl 80 (with legendaries, skills, masteries) underleveled to the level of the map :#

The only way we can have a taste of PvP in PvE is (in my opinion) to activate the "friendly fire" in the World Boss events. After the initial "fun", then, to complete a World Boss event the players should look at the build, skills, weapons. And to use only what they know they can controll, hitting the target without killing everything around :#.

HM =) - I don't think we may hear too soon the complain that the Claw of Jormag is boring =)

@"Cristalyan.5728" said:The only way we can have a taste of PvP in PvE is (in my opinion) to activate the "friendly fire" in the World Boss events. After the initial "fun", then, to complete a World Boss event the players should look at the build, skills, weapons. And to use only what they know they can controll, hitting the target without killing everything around :#.

HM =) - I don't think we may hear too soon the complain that the Claw of Jormag is boring =)

Yeah I'm sure that system would not be used to troll and grief people at all... :P

@Tarlonniel.6534 said:

@"DeanBB.4268" said:Add more PvE elements to WvW?

Wait, there's room? All it's missing are renown hearts :wink:

Add those too! And while you're at it, code in a "PVE only" flag which makes players immune to damage from other players. And make all mounts and masteries available... more mining nodes... tengu playable race...

and no attacks allowed or immunity on the JPs too.

If you want to save wvw/pvp then things have to change, we need maps/alliances/ battlegrounds without the zergs/blobs that means smaller maps with capture the flag mechanics equal numbered teams that fight against each other in a more organized way. Rather than huge zergs that decimate a map because the enemy team has no one on it. You can keep border lands etc, but make some smaller maps to scratch the itch of players that want to have smaller teamfights without the zerg. Clear objectives like conquer 3 enemy bases and plant your flag to win. Just ideas but wvw is in trouble and lots of people complain of the zerg its not fun most of the time you dont even know who you are attacking in a zerg, you just start swinging at red. Add guild missions to pvp/wvw maps, this would work with alliances which we need like yesterday.