It's Time To Let Go of This Most Useless Character

ScyeRynn.4218

Well technically Aurene is the Mascot, and now that she's gone Elder Dragon, it'll be Taimi since Taimi hasn't built another Golem after her last crisis. She'll at most be advising us over communicator, considering she may die at some point I don't ever expect her to be at our sides anymore. Gorrik's just not the combat type either.So the core is becoming Rytlock, Braham, Marjory, Kasmeer, and Canach when he's around.I really do think they decided to ship Rox off to the Olmakhan permanently and we'll only ever see her if the Olmakhan make a return, as kind of our Liason, like Logan being the Liason with the pact. Caithe I think is just gonna be done. Zojja HAS been done, hold a funeral for her already.

You know come to think of it, are Kasmeer and Canach ever going to get elite specs? Rytlock straight up class changed to Revenant and went Herald, Braham became a Dragonhunter, and Marjory became a Reaper. Spellbreaker Canach? Kasmeer might stick to core mesmer with her time warp cooldown being so low.

@Cyninja.2954 said:The character provokes emotions in people. That alone is enough of a reason to keep him.

I was no fan of Braham, even less after his tantrum in LWS3. In hindsight I have to say, I get where the authors were coming from, and any one who has lost someone close they loved might too. Was it narratively given enough room? Maybe not.

As far as Brahams bumbling and drunkeness this epilogue, all I have to ask people who gelt embarassed: have you been sober around drunk people?

Ask yourself, were you embarassed due to the acting and writing, or because Braham in character and context of the world was embarassing your squad? The second case would mean the authors got it right.

I think for me. Drunk people annoy me. I'd have blocked Brahams ass so fast from the first drunken call lol

@"Ashantara.8731" said:I cringed at drunken Braham during the IBS prologue as well, and I hated the childish tantrum he was throwing during LWS3 and some time beyond. But that's just bad writing and not the character's fault. GW2 has had tons of lowbrow writing in the past and certainly will continue to have in the future. Getting rid of Braham won't solve that problem. Only intelligent, mature writing can solve it.

P.S. You named Canach as an example how to do it right. While I love the character most of the time, I have to point out that he was annoying beyond words in PoF (so was Rytlock). His "witty" humor had sunken to an unbearable level, really, that it was no longer amusing at all. Again, due to bad writing. Each character has had their fair share in that regard.

Getting rid of Braham is EXACTLY what will solve the problem of that character and how he's been developed. There is nothing more you can do with the character because so much damage has already been done, and anything they add to him now will not have the same meaningful effect or payoff that it was once capable of. He's become such a terribly ruined character that eliminating him as soon as possible would be more beneficial to the story overall than trying to redeem him or finish off his story.

The various writers coming and going are the ones who twisted that character to an unusable state. And you think they are somehow capable of "intelligent, mature writing" let alone that they could ever be able to solve the problem with Braham? That is literally impossible. Anything they do with Braham now will not be consistent or believable unless they decided to have him clumsily fall off a cliff to his death.

@"Mewcifer.5198" said:I think that just because a character creates tension or rubs people the wrong way, it doesn't mean they need to be gotten rid of.

That's not what is being said here. Braham being conflicting isn't the problem. There are many characters in the story that conflict with the Commander and the missions and the other characters. It's about the execution and arc of Braham. It's about how Braham isn't being developed in a way that is authentic, significant, or necessary to the story other than as a way to redeem him.

They "180'd" his character at least two times already, more than any other character because he is not a true character. He's a playing card meant to serve a purpose. Whether it's to be an ally who conflicts with the commander or the comedic relief. He's currently serving as the caricature sidekick just for forced-humor. He adds nothing significant or essential to the actual story.

Saying "oh but he has been by the commander's side for many episodes!" is missing the fact that he was placed there recently and purposefully to put that idea in your head that Braham is now essential and not the annoying, useless, complaining character he was just prior. It's to make up for that. But they didn't even do that right. They decided to force down our throats that he's also now suddenly a highly comedic, buddy-buddy partner for the Commander.

He may become useful in the Norn part of the upcoming story, but that should have been his story thus far. Instead everything till now has been filler or unnecessary conflict that went no where.

Braham used to be a rising hero and an interesting character. He wasn't a whiny brat or a clown when we were first introduced to him. Then the commander took over much of the journey they had planned for him and instead of giving him a proper journey of his own, they decided to make him the tag-along group member with a grudge.

@"mercury ranique.2170" said:There are several things wrong with the OP's post. The first being that he claims to be talking bout everyone, while this is certainly not true. There are people who dislike Braham, but just as much as there are people disliking any other member of the living world story. (a good example would be Taime, whom is loved and hated at the same time.

There is a lot of disliking in the post, but not where he would be bad or wrong. It is all about personal taste and has nothing to do with actual feedback about the writing. So any good reason to let him go is missing. (and yes there can be made good points about any character as they misfit someones personality and reacts to ones irritation, but that doesnt validate as a reason, im talking about feedback about the writing.)

This is incorrect. The OP (also known as me) did not claim that "everybody" had the same opinion of Braham. Using words like "players" and "we" loosely and undefined is not claiming everyone. It could mean a majority of players, a large portion of players, or a small handful of players. And did you just assume my gender? :O There are far more than several things wrong with your post including incorrect claims, failed comprehension, assumptions, spelling and word usage, and an overall lack of anything relevant to the thread and its topic.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:The character provokes emotions in people. That alone is enough of a reason to keep him.

I was no fan of Braham, even less after his tantrum in LWS3. In hindsight I have to say, I get where the authors were coming from, and any one who has lost someone close they loved might too. Was it narratively given enough room? Maybe not.

As far as Brahams bumbling and drunkeness this epilogue, all I have to ask people who gelt embarassed: have you been sober around drunk people?

Ask yourself, were you embarassed due to the acting and writing, or because Braham in character and context of the world was embarassing your squad? The second case would mean the authors got it right.

Actually, it's not. Having a character around solely for "evoking emotions" is the equivalent of a caricature or stock character and that is exactly the kind of one-dimensional character a proper story does NOT need, unless it's not meant to be taken seriously.

Have you seen Negan on the Walking Dead? That character is entirely a caricature meant to evoke emotions. The character and the writing is so awful that they make every other character including the main character weak and dumbed-down just to make that stock character appear greater than they are. But then you have audiences that eat that stuff up. They love a character with a bold personality because it's entertaining to them. It appeals to their sophomoric indulgence and they forgive or turn away from how poorly designed that character is. But the problem is, they confuse characters like that with actually well-written characters that don't need to say f-bombs and talk about genitals to be interesting. You can actually have multi-layered, engaging, relatable, complex characters that are far more interesting and not need to resort to gimmicks.

@"ScyeRynn.4218" said:Please for the love of the Five, stop with Braham already. Enough. All you are doing is bringing down a story that just started getting back up to the level of interest it used to have.

Naw... there are plenty of more useless characters over the past 4 years in this franchise.Braham went through one of the better developed character arcs this franchise has seen. I found his "Taimi Replacement" spot in the the prologue to be funny as $#!t. The drunk diailing in the middle of the concert was especially rich.And his voice actor (while overused on NPCs) is top notch.What happens when Bangar realizes it wasn't Eir's bow that cracked the tooth but Braham himself?That would be a cool plot twist.

Truly useless characters?What's Logan done since core but get captured, take a deskjob, then come out and remind us how hard it was getting captured?What's Kasmeer provided to the story since s2 other that her tired "let me disguise you" trope?Or Marjory who's backstory as a detective makes her interesting but that aspect of her is almost never relevant in the actual story.

There's a bunch of useless characters in GW2. Braham is better than most.Kasmeer is a plot device, Logan serves only to remind us that there was a story in dungeons. Jory is just there as Kas' gf.

@ScyeRynn.4218 said:

@"Cyninja.2954" said:The character provokes emotions in people. That alone is enough of a reason to keep him.

Actually, it's not. Having a character around solely for "evoking emotions" is the equivalent of a caricature or stock character and that is exactly the kind of one-dimenstional character a proper story does NOT need, unless it's not meant to be taken seriously.

Well I disagree and given how one of your other points was that Braham was rewritten multiple times, I fail to see how he can be one dimensional.

Is he comedic relief in this prologue? Sure, while staying in character and lore. He is a Norn which like to boast and drink. He was celebrating a recebt victory. He has slowly overcome his issues of loss.

You might not like the character, maybe because drunk people annoy you, as you mentioned. But from a writing perspective Braham has seen more developement than most other characters and given the direction of the story, he is fitting to be represented.

Simple mentally here guys. Braham is in our party. He’s a guardian. He’s a support guardian. He stays.

Rox is a ranger with a devourer pet and melee ranges with a short bow. So party kicked.

Kasmeer is a mesmer so shes been nerfed like 5 times since last time she was in the story. She can stay we may need a portal to end of a JP.

Marjory is still spec’d reaper instead of scourge for boon strips and barriers. She can stay as generic dps. Watch the ARCdps. Maybe kick later.

Canach is a warrior. He stays.

Rytlock is a herald. Sword dps and boon support. He stays.

The answer is obvious.

OP is ranting a lot but I have a hard time grasping any substantial criticism beyond "I don't like drunk people" which, okay, sure. You don't have to.

The point of Braham is that he's a young immature Norn. He had a bad reaction to his mother's death which led to a fall out with our character, he then went off to do his own thing for a while, then came back to help us again and eventually had a chance to deal with his grief which led to a reconciliation with our character. And now that this is dealt with he's letting his hair down for a party. That is all pretty straight forward character development.

Even more so in this prologue he's not just getting drunk for the sake of it. He's also the victim of Rangar's scheming. Towards the end it becomes clear that Ryland's mission was to get him drunk and get his bow so that Rangar can set his plan into motion. (To what exact end is not yet clear but the implication being that he wants to subdue or somehow ally with Jormag with the help of Braham's bow.)

So it all ties back into the main plot and the purpose is actually not to show what a fun dude Braham is. If that's all you got from the episode you weren't paying attention.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:The character provokes emotions in people. That alone is enough of a reason to keep him.

Actually, it's not. Having a character around solely for "evoking emotions" is the equivalent of a caricature or stock character and that is exactly the kind of one-dimenstional character a proper story does NOT need, unless it's not meant to be taken seriously.

Well I disagree and given how one of your other points was that Braham was rewritten multiple times, I fail to see how he can be one dimensional.

Is he comedic relief in this prologue? Sure, while staying in character and lore. He is a Norn which like to boast and drink. He was celebrating a recebt victory. He has slowly overcome his issues of loss.

You might not like the character, maybe because drunk people annoy you, as you mentioned. But from a writing perspective Braham has seen more developement than most other characters and given the direction of the story, he is fitting to be represented.

A proper character would never need to be rewritten. Characters go through arcs, journeys, and development, but they should never be rewritten. That's like giving Taimi Rytlocks gruff personality or making Faren the Commander. It's only funny when it's not taken seriously or a lasting change in the story. Rewriting a character is not the same as proper character development.

"You might not like the character, maybe because drunk people annoy you, as you mentioned."

Did I? Where did I mention that?

Sounds more like you felt personally offended by your own assumption.

@"Thalimae.3406" said:OP is ranting a lot but I have a hard time grasping any substantial criticism beyond "I don't like drunk people" which, okay, sure. You don't have to.

The point of Braham is that he's a young immature Norn. He had a bad reaction to his mother's death which led to a fall out with our character, he then went off to do his own thing for a while, then came back to help us again and eventually had a chance to deal with his grief which led to a reconciliation with our character. And now that this is dealt with he's letting his hair down for a party. That is all pretty straight forward character development.

Even more so in this prologue he's not just getting drunk for the sake of it. He's also the victim of Rangar's scheming. Towards the end it becomes clear that Ryland's mission was to get him drunk and get his bow so that Rangar can set his plan into motion. (To what exact end is not yet clear but the implication being that he wants to subdue or somehow ally with Jormag with the help of Braham's bow.)

So it all ties back into the main plot and the purpose is actually not to show what a fun dude Braham is. If that's all you got from the episode you weren't paying attention.

So all you understood (cherry-picked) from my thread was this part: "and trying to make him seem funny by making him drunk with slurred speech is just desperate and unneeded" (which also states nothing about disliking "drunk people") which you let trigger and offend you, and now you want to claim someone else isn't "paying attention"? O_O

@Randulf.7614 said:I have no issues with Braham.

The more reaction he provokes, the more the writers will feel justified in him.

I'm sure they would. That's part of the problem with them and the point of this thread. Gimmick is the intention over substance.

Also, i like parsleyIncluding the plastic version solely meant to decorate your plate?

@ScyeRynn.4218 said:

@"Thalimae.3406" said:OP is ranting a lot but I have a hard time grasping any substantial criticism beyond "I don't like drunk people" which, okay, sure. You don't have to.

So all you understood (cherry-picked) from my thread was this part:
"and trying to make him seem funny by making him drunk with slurred speech is just desperate and unneeded"
(which also states nothing about disliking "drunk people") which you let trigger and offend you, and now you want to claim someone else isn't "paying attention"? O_O

I'm not triggered or offended - you just didn't add any criticism of substance. It's a lot of empty ranting.

Let's be clear, I don't like Braham. For a long time, I've wanted him dropped from the story. And him getting drunk in the current story? Yeah, he pretty much ignored the reminder that he was representing our group there.

But... he did have someone TRYING to get him drunk, so maybe that's not entirely his fault. And for the upcoming story, if we're going to learn something about the Spirits of the Wild, it may be best to have an immature norn with us. This way the player (and the commander, if need be) can learn about the spirits while Braham is getting lectured by wiser norn. It might give him a chance to grow up some, too.

@Thalimae.3406 said:

@Thalimae.3406 said:OP is ranting a lot but I have a hard time grasping any substantial criticism beyond "I don't like drunk people" which, okay, sure. You don't have to.

"and trying to make him seem funny by making him drunk with slurred speech is just desperate and unneeded"
(which also states nothing about disliking "drunk people") which you let trigger and offend you, and now you want to claim someone else isn't "paying attention"? O_O

I'm not triggered or offended - you just didn't add any criticism of substance. It's a lot of empty ranting.

This is incorrect, as you are clearly doing some irrelevant, triggered ranting on your own.

@ScyeRynn.4218 said:

@Thalimae.3406 said:OP is ranting a lot but I have a hard time grasping any substantial criticism beyond "I don't like drunk people" which, okay, sure. You don't have to.

This is incorrect, as you are clearly doing some irrelevant, triggered ranting on your own.

lol

@Palador.2170 said:Let's be clear, I don't like Braham. For a long time, I've wanted him dropped from the story. And him getting drunk in the current story? Yeah, he pretty much ignored the reminder that he was representing our group there.

But... he did have someone TRYING to get him drunk, so maybe that's not entirely his fault. And for the upcoming story, if we're going to learn something about the Spirits of the Wild, it may be best to have an immature norn with us. This way the player (and the commander, if need be) can learn about the spirits while Braham is getting lectured by wiser norn. It might give him a chance to grow up some, too.

It's completely irrelevant who or what caused him to be drunk. The point is that it's being used as a way to further their agenda with Braham as a caricature and not a character. This placeholder journey with Braham has been going on with his character for a long time now and it's unfortunate to see a character that started with so much potential reduced to an empty gimmick.

@Thalimae.3406 said:

lol

As the saying goes.... "When they have nothing relevant to say, they laugh it away." Good on you.

@Palador.2170 said:Let's be clear, I don't like Braham. For a long time, I've wanted him dropped from the story. And him getting drunk in the current story? Yeah, he pretty much ignored the reminder that he was representing our group there.

Exactly. Also, I agree let's see where this goes next. The Icebrood Saga was announced as a big Norn story as well, spirits and all, so let's see where this is leading. I don't know who exactly it was but one of the writers liked Braham because there is a lot of potential for development here. And it's true. He's young, he's immature, he's just dealt with a huge personal loss and gotten over it. He's been at his lowest point so there's lots of room for him to grow from these experiences.

I don't think anybody needs to like Braham or deem him his favourite character but what they do with him makes a lot of sense from a writer's standpoint.

@ScyeRynn.4218 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:I have no issues with Braham.

The more reaction he provokes, the more the writers will feel justified in him.

I'm sure they would. That's part of the problem with them and the point of this thread. Gimmick is the intention over substance.

Also, i like parsleyIncluding the plastic version solely meant to decorate your plate?

Never been in any restaurant using fake parsley before. I'd still prob like it mind you, I just wouldn't like to eat it ;)

I don't necessarily agree with your other point. Generating a reaction, esp an intended one isn't an example of amateurish or gimmicky writing. I willing to concede most of the story has been of poor writing quality, but a lot of what I see from people's complaints about specific characters come from a dislike rather than an actual issue with the writing.

People toss around terms about bad writing a lot, when what they mean is they didn't like them. Not liking them is perfectly reasonable and acceptable.

For example

• Braham acting out after his mother was correct behaviour given his background and how he had finally started to feel a connection with a parent he'd rejected due to her Legend overshadowing him. That was twhen he's still young and immature enough to have raw emotion. It made him dislikable, but I wouldn't argue it was bad writing. In the end it allowed for some measure of redemption and characters development. The problem was, people kicked up because of his terrible attitude. And that was exactly what Anet had intended for that character at that time.

• Braham cracking Jormag's tooth in a throwaway cutscene rather than building towards it and relegating something which is entrenched in the culture and mythology of a race to an afterthought and barely referred to again for 2.5 story arcs is bad writing. Very bad writing.

We are never getting high quality writing in an MMO. No MMO has it (although I'd argue Secret World prob did it best for the style it was using and genre it was doing it in) and there are various reasons for it - you have a lot of writers coming and going over time, with a story that constantly changes as time goes on due to different writers and feedback from players. Expectations need to be tempered in this way and the diversity of the playerbase means understanding the difference between what is actually bad and what is just not individually liked

@ScyeRynn.4218 said:

@"Mewcifer.5198" said:I think that just because a character creates tension or rubs people the wrong way, it doesn't mean they need to be gotten rid of.

That's not what is being said here. Braham being conflicting isn't the problem. There are many characters in the story that conflict with the Commander and the missions and the other characters. It's about the execution and arc of Braham. It's about how Braham isn't being developed in a way that is authentic, significant, or necessary to the story other than as a way to redeem him.

They "180'd" his character at least two times already, more than any other character because he is not a true character. He's a playing card meant to serve a purpose. Whether it's to be an ally who conflicts with the commander or the comedic relief. He's currently serving as the caricature sidekick just for forced-humor. He adds nothing significant or essential to the actual story.

Saying "oh but he has been by the commander's side for many episodes!" is missing the fact that he was placed there recently and purposefully to put that idea in your head that Braham is now essential and not the annoying, useless, complaining character he was just prior. It's to make up for that. But they didn't even do that right. They decided to force down our throats that he's also now suddenly a highly comedic, buddy-buddy partner for the Commander.

He may become useful in the Norn part of the upcoming story, but that should have been his story thus far. Instead everything till now has been filler or unnecessary conflict that went no where.

Braham used to be a rising hero and an interesting character. He wasn't a whiny brat or a clown when we were first introduced to him. Then the commander took over much of the journey they had planned for him and instead of giving him a proper journey of his own, they decided to make him the tag-along group member with a grudge.

Wow slow down... remember this is a fantasy world and meant to have multi facets in its story telling, which in turn provide opportunities to branch or switch up all whilst creating the opportunity for players to explore them, cuss them or love them... there is no actual right or wrong except from your own personal viewpoint.Don't get me wrong I am not a Braham fanboi either as I've already said, but your not the voice of LS or do you have some sixth sense that can tell us what is in store for the character or any character cos from where I am sitting I can see the IBS being reasonably meaningful in context when considering both Braham and Rytlock, I also feel Rox could of had an uptick in character here as well but well it doesn't look like it.

" It's about how Braham isn't being developed in a way that is authentic, significant, or necessary to the story other than as a way to redeem him. "I will be honest here and say I find this a little strange considering he is just one cog in a larger machine.. also consider the depth the narrative team are able to go to in the time and cost constraints they have upon them. I would hazard a guess they could of, would of, should of expanded Braham and other character so much more every chapter and likely did, but there will always be a need to edit out, shorten and change directions in an effort to get it all ready in time for the big reveals..Hopefully its not a sprint for this character or any of them, its a marathon

@ScyeRynn.4218 said:

A proper character would never need to be rewritten. Characters go through arcs, journeys, and development, but they should never be rewritten. That's like giving Taimi Rytlocks gruff personality or making Faren the Commander. It's only funny when it's not taken seriously or a lasting change in the story. Rewriting a character is not the same as proper character development.

"You might not like the character, maybe because drunk people annoy you, as you mentioned."

Did I? Where did I mention that?

Sounds more like you felt personally offended by your own assumption.

Nope, merely me mixing up two different replies. My bad.

On everything else: that's your subjective opinion and obviously other players feel differently on this matter.

You are ofcorse free to rant and complain as much as you want. The story and production of content is far along further than what we as players see, often as far as 1 year in advance for recording of voice lines. As such, the realization of your desire is pretty much 0, so the point of implementation is moot.