Templates Preview Guild Chat -- We want your questions!

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Yami.8321 said:im here just to post my toxic comment...couse took you 7 years 7 YEARS to put it out.....and you had the NERVE to kill arcdps template couse you want to monetize a FEATURE than EVEN GW1 HAD!?!...... SHAME on you anet...this is why the game is dying....12M players m a**.....

A feature with an unlimited amount of templates - as much as you could save to your PC that is. For those who weren't in GW1, you could save them directly to a folder made just for them in GW1. Instead of the sky, the size of your hard drive was the limit.

@EagleDelta.4726 said:

@"Dzjudz.9142" said:What would you say to people who have legendary gear for the convenience of swapping between lots of builds (many runes, stat combinations) and now being locked to only two possibilities (with having to buy gems for more options)? A ranger can for example use power soulbeast (berserker), condi soulbeast (viper), heal druid (harrier), deimos hand kiter (minstrel or whatever), wvw condi (trailblazer), and many more. What is the benefit of legendary gear if you lock the options via build templates?

I believe this statement answers your question ...... "Equipment Templates can also record the customization of legendary items, which can freely change attributes and upgrades. You can equip a single legendary item to multiple Equipment Templates with different attributes and upgrade choices for each."

The issue is that those who will most likely use templates can use a large number of different runes/sigils for different scenarios (like changing runes/sigils between fractals) an can easily have wy more then 3 or 4 different varieties all for the same armor stats.

The impression I've gotten from the people I play with and the average player is that the player base that needs more than the 3 build, 2 equipment, 3 storage (+3 more) is actually a huge (but vocal) minority. The company has to make money or the game goes away. Developers are expensive to have on staff, so to justify the time spent on this feature, they have to charge money somehow.

And doing so will only kitten of the player base, because they are losing what is a free system with infinite options that they have had access to for years.

It think you're being overly dramatic about this. Most people I play GW2 with don't even use ArcDPS, let alone Arc Templates. It breaks after every update and doesn't add enough to be worth the effort when it does work. Even then builds randomly disappear from it and if your PC/Laptop/Harddrive went down/died you lost the templates.I know non-technical users like to compare things like this as if they're the same..... they're not. To you it may seem that way, but you're comparing a plugin someone worked on in their spare time to something a company put money, a lot of it too, into.

Additionally, a dev can cost between $70-100K per dev/per year (sometimes less for junior devs, and a lot more for senior devs). You have to justify where that dev spends his time otherwise the company (whose goal is to make money) won't approve the work. It's this or a subscription, you choose.

I am not being dramatic about this at all, just pointing out that the system being used is likely to annoy the players who would use it. Most of GW2 player base does not care about builds at all. Thus this template thing is useless to them. Templates are used by those who have a lot of characters and whose characters change their build a lot, as in the more hardcore community.

Correct the company put time and money into this, something that should have been released at the start of the game given it already existed in GW1. As the years went on and there was no signs of a template, another person spent their personal time to make something that was free to the user with essentially unlimited slots. True it would break when there where game changes, but that was because there where game changes and there where constant updates to fix it. Now that templates are coming to the game itself, that hardcore community is losing their free unlimited template, and you think they will be happy with this change?

@FrigginPaco.4178 said:

@Yami.8321 said:im here just to post my toxic comment...couse took you 7 years 7 YEARS to put it out.....and you had the NERVE to kill arcdps template couse you want to monetize a FEATURE than EVEN GW1 HAD!?!...... SHAME on you anet...this is why the game is dying....12M players m a**.....

A feature with an unlimited amount of templates - as much as you could save to your PC that is. For those who weren't in GW1, you could save them directly to a folder made just for them in GW1. Instead of the sky, the size of your hard drive was the limit.

haven't played gw1 ....but man i wish i had...

I see a lot of people here have problems with their reading skill. How is it unclear for people how many slots you have per character and per account? It looks like you don't understand, that there is such thing as Build Template Storage, where you can save builds that you are not using anywhere. And this storage has 3 slots for free on account. And there is also Build Template Tab, where you save the build for your character. And you have 3 those Tabs for free per character.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:So technically we're getting a base of 3 slots per character, shared between PvE and WvW and further unlocks requires gems. After 7 years of waiting I have to say I expected a lot better. This is also what killed my interest in the game, almost everything has a relationship with the gemstore.

In GW1:You want more inventory space = Play and work your way up for these stuff. - Inventory space was very limited even after you got it. Only recently could you get more and it requires a lot of grind. Storage always cost extra money.All Weapon Skins = Run specific dungeons, open chests, do special events...aka play the game.Armor Skins = Get materials + MoneyTemplates = You can have hundreds of them, sort them in different folders, name them. Wasn't stored with your account server side. Lost them if your computer/HDD died, etc.

In GW2:More Storage = GemsWeapon Skins = Basic skins obtainable in game, but exotics and flashy stuff = tldr. GemsArmor Skins = Even more GemsTemplates = Heavily limited > more Gems are required

If I were given the choice between paying €40 for 7 expansions or the gemstore stuff, I'd pick the former without thinking twice.

I get what you're feeling, but you have to keep in mind that in the last 14 years the cost of making games (specifically the cost to hire experienced developers and artists, etc) has gone up. The cost to maintain a game running at this scale is not cheap and money has to be brought in to offset those costs AND profit. Those costs include employees, benefits for employees, server costs, network bandwidth costs, storage costs, backup storage costs, security costs, compliance/auditing costs, office costs, etc.

Where I work, we do that by charging out customers (other businesses usually) monthly or yearly recurring fees based on usage, etc. We also work on our back end to improve the performance of our systems, usually unbeknownst to our customers, to reduce maintenance costs and improve revenue and income. So, while the cost of making and maintaining a game (or any persistent tech stack) has gone up, the average cost of boxed content has stayed the same or gone down. That money has to be made up somewhere and players/customers don't seem to be keen on subscriptions or price hikes, so that's where the Gem store/MTX stuff came in.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Nothing stays the same forever and GW1 was in a very different world than GW2 (and it costs very little money to continue running due to its unique nature compared to other MMOs)

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@FrigginPaco.4178 said:I'm very disappointed, but not surprised, to see that additional templates will need to be purchased via gemstore. People who play a higher number of build variations and game modes are ironically the ones hit hardest by this decision. I play across PvE, WvW, and PvP. Even if you get a new set of fresh templates per game mode that's an astonishing amount of locking done by this marketing decision.

To add onto this:

Several DPS meters offer plugins for build and gear templates (completely free, btw). ArcDPS notably has had the feature for years now. These templates supported theoretically infinite numbers of build and gear templates.

My questions are thus: Why are you downgrading players on a feature that we have been promised for years? And charging for the privilege too? I thought Nintendo Switch Online was a bad joke, but jeez.

ArcDPS agreed to discontinue their build template tool if ANet ever made their own. Not only that, but the dev announced back when the work on Build Templates was made known that he was discontinuing development on the Arc templates. Once this goes live and the Arc Dev no longer maintains his, then it will be a bannable offense to use the template tool.

Which is pretty sad, because as others have pointed out in this thread, you could just save the traits chat code in a text file, thereby circumventing their monetization. The only thing you couldn't save independently would be the equipment setup.

It could very well be that is intentional on ANet's side. Allow you to keep the text files around for the capabilities and monetize the convenience of already having the saved template in the game. :shrug:

My only question is: what are the limits for build storage slots, build templates, and gear templates?

My Chrono has 15 different gear templates,, which includes 8 different boon-duration-capped support builds, 4 perfectly crit-capped power builds, and 2 condi-duration-capped condi builds. Each gear template shuffles the exact number of infusions and stat swaps required to hit the numbers I want. Will I be able to make do with whatever limit is introduced with the build templates release?

@Neutra.6857 said:

@"Dzjudz.9142" said:What would you say to people who have legendary gear for the convenience of swapping between lots of builds (many runes, stat combinations) and now being locked to only two possibilities (with having to buy gems for more options)? A ranger can for example use power soulbeast (berserker), condi soulbeast (viper), heal druid (harrier), deimos hand kiter (minstrel or whatever), wvw condi (trailblazer), and many more. What is the benefit of legendary gear if you lock the options via build templates?

I believe this statement answers your question ...... "Equipment Templates can also record the customization of legendary items, which can freely change attributes and upgrades. You can equip a single legendary item to multiple Equipment Templates with different attributes and upgrade choices for each."

The issue is that those who will most likely use templates can use a large number of different runes/sigils for different scenarios (like changing runes/sigils between fractals) an can easily have wy more then 3 or 4 different varieties all for the same armor stats.

The impression I've gotten from the people I play with and the average player is that the player base that needs more than the 3 build, 2 equipment, 3 storage (+3 more) is actually a huge (but vocal) minority. The company has to make money or the game goes away. Developers are expensive to have on staff, so to justify the time spent on this feature, they have to charge money somehow.

And doing so will only kitten of the player base, because they are losing what is a free system with infinite options that they have had access to for years.

It think you're being overly dramatic about this. Most people I play GW2 with don't even use ArcDPS, let alone Arc Templates. It breaks after every update and doesn't add enough to be worth the effort when it does work. Even then builds randomly disappear from it and if your PC/Laptop/Harddrive went down/died you lost the templates.I know non-technical users like to compare things like this as if they're the same..... they're not. To you it may seem that way, but you're comparing a plugin someone worked on in their spare time to something a company put money, a lot of it too, into.

Additionally, a dev can cost between $70-100K per dev/per year (sometimes less for junior devs, and a lot more for senior devs). You have to justify where that dev spends his time otherwise the company (whose goal is to make money) won't approve the work. It's this or a subscription, you choose.

I am not being dramatic about this at all, just pointing out that the system being used is likely to annoy the players who would use it. Most of GW2 player base does not care about builds at all. Thus this template thing is useless to them. Templates are used by those who have a lot of characters and whose characters change their build a lot, as in the more hardcore community.

Correct the company put time and money into this, something that should have been released at the start of the game given it already existed in GW1. As the years went on and there was no signs of a template, another person spent their personal time to make something that was free to the user with essentially unlimited slots. True it would break when there where game changes, but that was because there where game changes and there where constant updates to fix it. Now that templates are coming to the game itself, that hardcore community is losing their free unlimited template, and you think they will be happy with this change?

The problem with your argument about someone else putting their own time into it for unlimited templates..... the community will always be able to do things and give people things for free that ANet can't do. They don't get to work on templates for free/in their own time for us. It never has and never will work that way in business.

Additionally, we don't get to say "you can't charge for that, it should've been in at the beginning". That's not how design works. Just because players ended up taking things beyond the original design does not mean that ANet ever intended there to be a need for build templates. The GW2 player base demands/expects a lot without realizing the fact that only some of those desires can be met at any given time.

@EagleDelta.4726 said:

It's this or a subscription, you choose.

Why are those the only two options? That's a false dichotomy. There are other options too. Just because they offer this, that doesn't mean that it's either their offer or a subscription fee.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@Wakani.1829 said:the Original Guild Wars Released April 26, 2005
With unlimited templates
.We've waited for 7+ years for templates in Guildwars2, and now its behind a paywall.

Technically not true. Build templates in GW1 didn't come until after Nightfall released in 2006.

My bad, i will edit the post then.thats still only a year later however, and doesnt change much.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@maultasche.4082 said:So we crafted legendary armor to be restricted to 2 stat combinations now? Raiders had perfect build templates for the past years thanks to arcdps. Now we get a downgrade provided from Anet. I don't see the advantage of this.

Then don't purchase them carry on using Arc templates

Deltaconnected (maker of arcdps) said he's going to deprecate the feature once this goes live.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@maultasche.4082 said:So we crafted legendary armor to be restricted to 2 stat combinations now? Raiders had perfect build templates for the past years thanks to arcdps. Now we get a downgrade provided from Anet. I don't see the advantage of this.

Then don't purchase them carry on using Arc templates

Deltaconnected (maker of arcdps) said he's going to deprecate the feature once this goes live.

Anet is making him...

My question is how much does it cost for another character build template tab cost? Does the character build template cost also have 3 build packs per purchase like the storage tab purchase?

The pre mode pvp and wvw build templates that are per character, can you make that for just pve instead of those game modes?