Dev AMA: Barrier on guardian is on the table

RabbitUp.8294

I think they need to search for another mechanic to add to guardian instead repeat the copy paste mistake class design, they already made the mistake of every class have acess to everything "spammable", some stuff neds to be class restricted, or minimal classes have access to it..

Even so if they had barrier to guardian wont help much, cause will be not so strong as the other classes can do or will be restricted into some Spambreand gimmick..

Guardian skill design atm is extremelly weak compared to the damage(power creep game is based on) ouput/cc etc classes can easilly dismish in a few skills w/o effort or good gameplay, on aoe group stacking pssshh game is completelly broken, barrier wont do much, feels more like a placebo to shup up the players.

/sorry for the bad english

IF they really want to add barrier, they can add barried to shield dome altough would not last much due how shield works.Shouts would not be decent eneught since its a skil to produce instant resultsMeditations are already to strong with the free healingConsecrations are useless even if they had barrier and does not make sense at allGuardian elites? well theres only 1 elite skill for the class imo... RFShould the class pulse small ticks of barrier itselft or should be tied to a weapon, does not make sense either...

Keep barrier to scourge only, stop making the same mistakes over and over ANet...

BOOST some defensive stuff on guardian...or redesign it... to fit the spamgame.

Guardian doesn't have to go the full AoE barrier spam route. Barrier is a prime opportunity to revitalise our defensive weapons, namely mace and shield.

At the same time, this could allow staff to be the dedicated healing weapon, instead of having heals spread across 3 different weapons.

I wouldn't mind barrier on Guard. I agree staff having a heal (as well as ToR 1 having a small attack with slow, and ToC 1 having a small attack with cripple or weaken) would do ALOT for the guard and Firebrand. I guess it would depend on how they implement it. Barrier would be a nice addition to a support toolkit, but I feel like the staff and those autos on tomes would be more important. If they add barrier to Guard I hope they make it a grandmaster trait or something. I'd prefer it as something you build or choose for (that is not part of an espec) rather than just something we get all the time, unless they find a way to make it part of a virtue.

@Kuya.6495 said:Why would you want to add barrier to a class that is already very bunkery in pvp?

Because there are other game modes than pvp, and guardian is not even the strongest bunker. If they add barrier, it will be by replacing other mechanics or through traits, so it's not like it would be a straight buff anyway.

Numbers can be tweaked, what matters the most is exploring the intentity of the class and guardian was meant to be a defensive support to its allies. And it has historically failed to live up to that.

Hear are a few suggestions I think would be nice.I think dragonhunter or base guardian NEEDS barrier, NOT Firebrand. (that has a ton stuff unique stuff and over shadows DH right now)As they could use some support type stuff to boost them up a little.

maybe barrier on some of the shouts and barrier skills. like retreat, save yourselves, sanctaury and Hallowed ground.Also adding barrier to wings of resolve on Dragonhunter to give it a bit more ultity. As when you use WoR, you tend leave yourself VERY exposed especially when you have conditions on you, because of how easy it to interrupt, and the heal isnt that good when so it could be a better reward for it, a bit of healing with barrier.

As for weapon skills not sure they'll help.Shield - Shield of AbsorptionFocus - Shield of Wrath (only if the shields do not get destoryed, then you get barrier)Staff - symbol of swiftnessMace - Protector strike (its rather useless having give something useful might help) or symbol of faith.

What about adding barrier to the trait "symbolic avenger" to give people who are in the symbols a Barrier?This would many close combat builds like Mace, scepter and Greatsword and it'll help out staff too

@Kuya.6495 said:Why would you want to add barrier to a class that is already very bunkery in pvp?

To be honest, guardian survivability is average. Ranger, warrior and engineer are ahead. Guardian has been moving to be mainly a dps class since before HoT release.

However, since guardian relies on blocks and blindness adding barrier is pointless. If I block the attack then barrier was of no use.

As for guardian survivablitiy it is a complex topic. DH does not need additional survivability. Core, just reducing the CD of VoC. 45 sec for one aegis and 4 sec protection is pretty outdated. FB though.. The tomes don't work in sPvP and I am not sure what would be the fix for that.

@RabbitUp.8294 said:Keep in mind, the original question was about giving barrier to core specs and that's what Karl responded to, so we are talking about core guardian getting barrier, not DH or Firebrand.

Core guard getting it would be the kitten imo. It would give every different build of guard an even more distinct playstyle, and I think it would open up alot of build potential. I think if core guard gets it though it has to be on virtues, otherwise you could get it on DH or FB through traits or utility skills. I do think shouts would be a cool way to get it, but honestly, shouts are already pretty good. Core guard, imo, should be our bunkery defensive spec, DH our high dps spec, and FB our hybrid spec.

I would love running an AH frontline guard with barrier in WvW.

@otto.5684 said:

To be honest, guardian survivability is average. Ranger, warrior and engineer are ahead. Guardian has been moving to be mainly a dps class since before HoT release.

However, since guardian relies on blocks and blindness adding barrier is pointless. If I block the attack then barrier was of no use.

As for guardian survivablitiy it is a complex topic. DH does not need additional survivability. Core, just reducing the CD of VoC. 45 sec for one aegis and 4 sec protection is pretty outdated. FB though.. The tomes don't work in sPvP and I am not sure what would be the fix for that.

The tomes don't work in pvp?

lol

edit: giving shouts barrier is the same as giving fb barrier. fbs can use shouts. i realize talking general game balance in a class subforum might go over people's heads here though.

I mean, it would then be impossible to give core anything because FB can use everything available to core.

I do like the idea of replacing the healing of various skills with barrier. Shield of Absorption is an excellent candidate, but don't take away my double block on Protector's Strike. Empower might also be fitting for Barrier or any of the Wards. There're a lot of directions it could go.

Shouts isnt in a good spot in pvp, hence i think adding barrier to those would improve the use of those skills in pretty much every game mode.

And tbh i think aegis/blocks can coexist with barrier. The number of hits that are dealt in this game are plenty and applying aegis and barrier at the same time just improves what aegis lack, the ability to counter multiple hits.

Come to think of it, a single trait in honor or virtues that applies barrier when aegis is applied might be the way to go, this would add to core, DH and FB.

It might even be so that if barrier was applied when aegis is applied would boost the survivability so FB actually could be played in the front as a supportive dps tank.

With aegis being as lacklustre as it currently is (sorry, a 1-block doesn't cut it when lots of stuff is unblockable or comes in several smaller attacks or there's a shitload of blockable small stuff next to the big attacks you want to block), barrier would be a welcome addition. It also definitely fits the guardian theme and could supplement some defensive skills that are close to useless right now.

@Brutaly.6257 said:Replacing healing skills with barrier is just the wrong path.

We cant complain in one thread about bad healing capabilities (justified complaint imo) and in the next one suggesting removing healing skills.

Instead of replacing stuff they need to add.

I disagree. Guardian being a bad healer is largely do this, that our heals are spread across different weapons. Shield, mace and staff all heal, even focus has some regen. Same for a lot of our utilities.

Replacing the healing in Shield of Absorption with a barrier let's shield carve its own niche. In turn, we have more design space to make staff the dedicated healing weapon. The fact that staff has no active defences means that they have more freedom to make it a strong healing option, without it directly fueling the pvp bunker playstyle.

Guardian won't become a viable healer by juggling multiple weapons, so fixing the identities of our weapons is the way forward.

The question is: What is the guardian community ready to lose in order to gain some barrier?

Because it's highly unlikely that the guardian will gain barrier without losing anything in exchange. Do not forget that barriers do not prevent CC or condition application like a block do.

I'd love to put some barrier capability in the courage tome. the courage tome seems lackluster compared to resolve, and only seems good to switch to in order to use a single skill like the reflect dome or resistance wheel, and then switch out of again. Swapping out some stuff in unflinching charge and daring challenge might be real nice as a way to boost your team right before a fight.

I'd say the opposite. Every skill in tome of courage has a viable in combat use, but tome 3 on tome of resolve is pretty useless, since you are better off stacking swiftness on chapter 1 from courage. If they added barrier to chapter 3 of resolve, then it might be worth using during a defensive rotation. And actually, now that i think about it, putting barrier in tome of resolve makes pretty good sense as long as it's not a very big barrier. You can barrier up your team to soak up damage, and then heal them up while the barrier protects them.

Archived