Why isn't 2v2 permanent?

Anput.4620

These types of modes tend to be great for a while then drop off quite heavily. Would make sense to make them available during some seasonal down times etc.

That is, of course, assuming that the concept applies to GW2 as well. It does pretty obviously for most games that have some alternate modes.

@"Madja.1369" said:It feels so much better when it's not a kitten of 10 people standing on each other having to guard some boring points that favour the bunker.

Now it's four people "standing on each other" and bunker builds are favoured even harder.There is no objectives that you can evade onto.So it's basically a bare-bones game mode.And it's only three bad maps to choose from.

And it still has no button to resign for a quick loss!

Yeah. A resign button would be great. At least after having lost one match (usually the first) when you notice that you can never win. (Others staying at 90 percent health and spiking you down quick.)

The Auric Span map is nice though. Hall of the Mists is crap.

Edit: Courtyard map - according to Wiki (never played it myself) seems like a good idea for deathmatches with a bit more people and nice secondary mechanic. If there were more than these I think I'd like deathmatch more.

The problem is you cant balance both at the same time. Youd have to introduce a skill split within the same gamemode, sPvP, and thats just confusing as hell for new players and would scare them away. And you cant just replace Conquest with 2v2. The fact that 2v2 lacks depth doesnt help either.

@Luthan.5236 said:Yeah. A resign button would be great. At least after having lost one match (usually the first) when you notice that you can never win. (Others staying at 90 percent health and spiking you down quick.)

The Auric Span map is nice though. Hall of the Mists is kitten.

Edit: Courtyard map - according to Wiki (never played it myself) seems like a good idea for deathmatches with a bit more people and nice secondary mechanic. If there were more than these I think I'd like deathmatch more.

Courtyard was atrocious. Very one sided matches were the norm and it was finally withdrawn. I'd not like to see that return.

2v2 will likely be a mini off season thing but as someone has said conquest is how pvp was designed to be played at not a 2v2 not even a 3v3 if it should come to pass. I am sincerely hoping Anet will balance the game consistently out of conquest since that season lasts for the least 2 months or so, this is the mode pvp was designed to be played at for the last 7+ years.

2v2 right now is the flavor of the month and quite rightly so, a lot of people are excited to play it even i do but to be blunt i can see by the end of the 4th week it will become stale to a lot of people.

I'd take 2v2 & 1v1 queues over 5v5 queues coming back any day.

The funny thing is, even with those two queues, you are splitting players less than 5v5, requiring only 6 players to fill two full games in each queue, compared to the 10 players required for a standard 5v5 ranked game.

@UNOwen.7132 said:The problem is you cant balance both at the same time.there is no any problem that it is unbalanced. This is mini fun short season.If you chose not properly class and wrong build you will lose. And this is OK.Fall down till meet groups range on bottom whit same non properly build and class and play whit them.

• 4 weeks later...

@Fueki.4753 said:The best thing Arenanet could do to satisfy fans of both modes is to flip both modes between ranked and unranked.When 2vs2 has its ranked season, conquest is unranked.When conquest has its ranked season, 2vs2 is unranked.

How about no? Unranked conquest has to remain the same.

I can go on and on of how 2v2 is extremely limited to specific builds and that the balance is not designed to work for 2v2 or death match. As long as it is Off season, not in unranked, then we are okay. Making it the main game mode at anytime is a no no.

@otto.5684 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:The
best
thing Arenanet
could
do to satisfy fans of both modes is to flip both modes between ranked and unranked.When 2vs2 has its ranked season, conquest is unranked.When conquest has its ranked season, 2vs2 is unranked.

How about no? Unranked conquest has to remain the same.

I can go on and on of how 2v2 is extremely limited to specific builds and that the balance is not designed to work for 2v2 or death match. As long as it is Off season, not in unranked, then we are okay. Making it the main game mode at anytime is a no no.

If you reread my comments, you'll realize that it's the best for fans of both modes.Your idea practically only is for the good of conquest fans. You are clearly disregarding the wishes of fans of 2vs2.

As a player that favors conquest I ask ArenaNet desperately to bring 2 vs. 2 back. Maybe it was just bad luck or because I play low league tier: But the match quality when I played so far was a lot worse than in unranked conquest when 2 vs. 2 was ranked.

I don't know why ... maybe unranked generally gets more people that play for fun (and for the win instead of for individual stats only) or it is (my guess) because deathmatch players that don't care about stategy are back in ranked now. :D :D :D