I really want to like GW2, but the PvE is a huge turn off

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I found HoT to be insanely frustrating compared to PoF due to the maps themselves and not the critters, etc... on those maps. I essentially skipped that xpac until I got the skyscale. PoF had challenging combat encounters, well beyond most HoT fights and that was great.

I prefer my E in PvE to be Enemy and not Environment.

E in PVE literally is the "Environment". POF was basically get in, get out, done in a week, forget it in a month. OTOH many more hours, days, weeks, months were spent in HOT, to learn all of its terrain, orientation, challenges. Much stronger, tighter group experience in metas and trains. This leaves a more longer lasting impression of all its details, events, specialness, grandeur.

@"EmmetOtter.8542" said:Personally I found HoT to be insanely frustrating compared to PoF due to the maps themselves and not the critters, etc... on those maps. I essentially skipped that xpac until I got the skyscale. PoF had challenging combat encounters, well beyond most HoT fights and that was great.

I prefer my E in PvE to be Enemy and not Environment.

"I have to navigate and think outside the box" vs "mount up and hur dur". What encounters in PoF were challenging?

@"Tren.5120" said:Personally, I find the content design to be really bad. I hate the way you level up Classes. Everything is a puzzle, or riddle.

You need high jump to get to mastery point. Meanwhile, every mastery point you have left on the map requires this. Oh wait... there's one I can see. Let's get it! Sorry, deadly quicksand. Can't swim around to different areas. "A current has pushed you back... oops, sorry you're dead now, so the past 10 minutes you spent riding here on your slow as f*ck mount has been wasted."

You cannot get to other maps with out it. You're basically stuck in one area doing nothing, except the same boring kitten missions that basically give you nothing. You're basically playing the game on the Wiki. Path of Fire is really no different than HoT for me, and I'll probably end up playing it less than I played HoT before I quit - with the quickness.

I want to play the game. I'm not looking for the MMORPG equivalent of a Rubik's Cube. The content design is laughably bad, IMHO. Waste of $30. Can we get a refund for this?

lmao you're not wrong especially the wiki part

@"Tren.5120" said:Personally, I find the content design to be really bad. I hate the way you level up Classes. Everything is a puzzle, or riddle.

You need high jump to get to mastery point. Meanwhile, every mastery point you have left on the map requires this. Oh wait... there's one I can see. Let's get it! Sorry, deadly quicksand. Can't swim around to different areas. "A current has pushed you back... oops, sorry you're dead now, so the past 10 minutes you spent riding here on your slow as f*ck mount has been wasted."

You cannot get to other maps with out it. You're basically stuck in one area doing nothing, except the same boring kitten missions that basically give you nothing. You're basically playing the game on the Wiki. Path of Fire is really no different than HoT for me, and I'll probably end up playing it less than I played HoT before I quit - with the quickness.

I want to play the game. I'm not looking for the MMORPG equivalent of a Rubik's Cube. The content design is laughably bad, IMHO. Waste of $30. Can we get a refund for this?

you must be really bad in video games

@vyncius.6105 said:

Insulting me and ignoring every point I made in my post may be cute, but it's ultimately still just as worthless as a blank reply.

But have fun with that!

I asked in Map Chat, and multiple other people said they were having the same issues. They cannot move onto other areas because they don't have enough masteries, and cannot reach the masteries that are there due to them requiring mount skills that you need more masteries to obtain. One person even said they put in a bug report, because they thought something was wrong (lol).

It has nothing to do with "being bad at the game."

One person said to do Fractals, which I won't do because the dungeons in this game are @$$.

Another person said to replay Living World Season 2, which I did, but it didn't give any mastery points or anything.

@Tren.5120 said:

@Tren.5120 said:Personally, I find the content design to be really bad. I hate the way you level up Classes. Everything is a puzzle, or riddle.

Insulting me and ignoring every point I made in my post may be cute, but it's ultimately still just as worthless as a blank reply.

But have fun with that!

I asked in Map Chat, and multiple other people said they were having the same issues. They cannot move onto other areas because they don't have enough masteries, and cannot reach the masteries that are there due to them requiring mount skills that you need more masteries to obtain. One person even said they put in a bug report, because they thought something was wrong (lol).

One person said to do Fractals, which I won't do because the dungeons in this game are @$$.

Another person said to replay Living World Season 2, which I did, but it didn't give any mastery points or anything.

Sadly, the players that responded to you were mistaken. You can move to any other maps in the expansion to gain more Mastery Points. (I assume the example is from Path of Fire and Springer.)You might consider trying the Wiki for more information (for instance, Living World Season Two would only award Core Tyria Mastery Points, which would not help with Path of Fire [Mount] Masteries), or any of the many guides found online.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

Good luck.

@Tren.5120 said:

@Tren.5120 said:Personally, I find the content design to be really bad. I hate the way you level up Classes. Everything is a puzzle, or riddle.

But have fun with that!

you know that everyone had to experience this lack of masteries? i dont remember ever thinking that is too hard or annoying, this is how game was built, so deal with it.

Fractals are pretty good, maybe problem is not this game, but a someone that is between chair and keyboard.

By the way, i wasnt insulting you

@vyncius.6105 said:

But have fun with that!

you know that everyone had to experience this lack of masteries? i dont remember ever thinking that is too hard or annoying, this is how game was built, so deal with it.

Fractals are pretty good, maybe problem is not this game, but a someone that is between chair and keyboard.

By the way, i wasnt insulting you

Uninstalled. Not worth debating. It's just a game. Goal is to entertain me, not annoy me.

Have fun, though!

@kharmin.7683 said:Oddly enough, by playing the storyline and completing maps granted me all of the mastery points that I needed. It's as if the game were made to do this.

Can't play the story because the Vlast crystals are too high and you need Masteries to get to them, but the masteries are also too high, as they are designed to require certain skills to get to them. Can't leave the PoFire starter cluster because everything is designed to block you out if you don't have these masteries :-P

I tried swimming around to another area to get masteries there (that I could see on the map), but the game killed my character with the current. There's no way to progress. I've been running around for 5 days looking for nooks and crannies that I could slip through. They don't exist. Playing the storyline is impossible, because you can't get to the items needed to progress it.

That was kind of my point, but it is no longer a concern of mine.

@Tren.5120 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Oddly enough, by playing the storyline and completing maps granted me all of the mastery points that I needed. It's as if the game were made to do this.

Can't play the story because the Vlast crystals are too high and you need Masteries to get to them, but the masteries are also too high, as they are designed to require certain skills to get to them. Can't leave the PoFire starter cluster because everything is designed to block you out if you don't have these masteries :-P

I tried swimming around to another area to get masteries there (that I could see on the map), but the game killed my character with the current. There's no way to progress. I've been running around for 5 days looking for nooks and crannies that I could slip through. They don't exist. Playing the storyline is impossible, because you can't get to the items needed to progress it.

Strange that [insert number of player who completed PoF] people were able to complete it without any (major) issues (including me) and you aren't, isn't it? But, as you just said, it is not a concern of you anymore :)So, have fun in your new game. It is you that misses out on a lot of stuff. Not us. So don't try to flipp the coin now and make us feel bad ;)

It can all be done. We all did it back when it launched. There's enough info on the wiki and tutorials about it. Puzzles and obstacles are part of most games and for most people it's fun trying to see how to solve them.if you get frustrated by them so much that refuse to continue its up to you.Good luck on your next game.

The only way to not have enough mastery points is if you waste them on superfluous masteries before you can afford the luxury. For PoF, it's recommended you only train up to the third mastery of each mount (and that's if they really help) for all mounts. Then finally train the fourth masteries after you have acquired all four basic mounts.

If you follow the story in timely fashion and don't waste mastery points on the fourth tier masteries (or even some of the second and third tiers), completing many of the story chapters will give you plenty of mastery points. Also bonus mastery points in open world.

This is you not knowing how to progress, and nothing to do with design since I have a guild full of people who progressed passed it, simply by understanding the concepts. The mastery point that surrounds the quicksand is only available to you, mostly anyway, when you get a skimmer mount and the hint is the skimmer floating in the quicksand. Not everything is meant to be attained right away.

If you want help with mastery points I'd gladly help you get some if your'e on a US server. There are enough to get to train your mount.

@Vayne.8563 said:

This is you not knowing how to progress, and nothing to do with design since I have a guild full of people who progressed passed it, simply by understanding the concepts. The mastery point that surrounds the quicksand is only available to you, mostly anyway, when you get a skimmer mount and the hint is the skimmer floating in the quicksand. Not everything is meant to be attained right away.

If you want help with mastery points I'd gladly help you get some if your'e on a US server. There are enough to get to train your mount.

I agree with everything you said.

I just want to point out the quicksand one can be glided to with some effort and a few attempts. But that requires a bit of trial and error. There are others like this as well where using other mechanics can get you to them.

I got there and thought hmm I need the skimmer but I wonder how high I can get in this area. However I guess I find enjoyment in this clearly others dont, of course that's ok there are plenty of games that can provide the experience the OP is after.

Just to note, I also love the HoT maps although Tangled Depths I always get lost on new characters.

@Vrath.1754 said:

I agree with everything you said.

I just want to point out the quicksand one can be glided to with some effort and a few attempts. But that requires a bit of trial and error. There are others like this as well where using other mechanics can get you to them.

I got there and thought hmm I need the skimmer but I wonder how high I can get in this area. However I guess I find enjoyment in this clearly others dont, of course that's ok there are plenty of games that can provide the experience the OP is after.

Just to note, I also love the HoT maps although Tangled Depths I always get lost on new characters.

A lot of people level their mounts before touching HoT and don't have gliding.

@ErikTheTyrant.4527 said:I agree about the mob density being to much. Specifically in HoT, PoF isn't to bad.

If you think the mob density in HoT is to much then you must not have experienced the Orr zones at release, the mobs there were 3 to 4 times the number they are now, and the only reason is people complained, about a zone at the end of a story line that was literally right on the enemies door step, players should've expected that amount of mob density.

@Tren.5120 said:

PoF is actually alot more straightforward than HoT (which is alot easier with mounts). For PoF, one thing to note is that u are not required to 100% the maps as u go along, as some points are unaccessible till later on. So easiest way is just to follow the story missions, which will bring u to parts that are comfortably accessible. Then once u get the Springer mount (which is pretty early), u can actually access almost every place.

TLDR; For PoF, jsut follow story and don't rush to 100% the map till u at least get springer.