What mount set-up do you use the most?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@"Dante.1508" said:I use Gryphon as its the best.. and fastest, i did not get the skyscale as the quests are atrocious, That said the demo skyscale you used in some events i tested and it was abysmal to use, which made me even less interested in it.. I have no idea what people see in that slow helicopter mount, when we have a jet plane mount..

Also my second most used mounts are the Jackal and Bunny. I have all the other mounts..

The demo skyscale must not have all of its abilities unlocked (I don't remember!). Either that or you didn't give it a chance. It is very clearly faster and more versatile in every possible way with the only exception being the griffon's dive maneuver. If it can't use that, the skyscale is simply better: faster, higher vertical flight, ability to hover and fly indefinitely, ability to climb walls. And as I said, the skyscale's ability to do all of that actually compliments the griffon, even while it replaces it. If you want to get to higher ground to make better use of your griffon, the skyscale is generally the best way to do that!

But enough talk. Here's a video that will quickly demonstrate the basic idea of the skyscale and make it immediately obvious that it can do things that the other mounts simply can't.

How does the skyscale fly indefinitely, setting aside those specific locations where your mount can eat volatile magic to refill its blue stamina bar?

I use the mastery speed boost on the griffon, and I do not consider the skyscale to be faster. My speed problem with the griffon is overshooting where I want to be. I have never experienced this problem with the skyscale. In the new map, for the champ train, I see many people using their griffon in order to get the speed so they can get a hit on the champ. The new map is perfect for the griffon due to the height at which we are parachuted in. I also use the griffon when I am meteorite farming in Istan. It's so fast that sometimes I can't tell where the directional indicator is pointing when using it on the griffon - for those impact sites around the Great Hall.

I use all the mounts as these are situational for me. I just wish I was better at drifting the beetle.

I use griffon more than skyscale, but not because I use skyscale rarely... I just tend to use it as a launch vehicle for griffon. Look for a nearby high spot, climb it, touch down on top to refill the height gauge then fly as high as I can go, leap of faith -> glider -> griffon. Virtually always gives enough space to get full speed and cross the map to wherever I want to go. Theoretically roller beetle would do that faster, and it does on reasonably flat or uncomplicated maps, but otherwise I'd rather not have to worry about hitting obstacles. (Griffons actually go where you want them to, it's great. ;))

Edit: Almost forgot...

@Dante.1508 said:Also you can stay in the air for ages if you flap at 75% not 100% stamina.You can stay in the air indefinitely if you chain up/down-flap. Obviously you're not going anywhere fast while doing that, but you can use it to regain altitude up to the current flight ceiling (as determined by your launch point). Slowly, but it works.

@Hesione.9412 said:

@"Dante.1508" said:I use Gryphon as its the best.. and fastest, i did not get the skyscale as the quests are atrocious, That said the demo skyscale you used in some events i tested and it was abysmal to use, which made me even less interested in it.. I have no idea what people see in that slow helicopter mount, when we have a jet plane mount..

Also my second most used mounts are the Jackal and Bunny. I have all the other mounts..

The demo skyscale must not have all of its abilities unlocked (I don't remember!). Either that or you didn't give it a chance. It is very clearly faster and more versatile in every possible way with the only exception being the griffon's dive maneuver. If it can't use that, the skyscale is simply better: faster, higher vertical flight, ability to hover and fly indefinitely, ability to climb walls. And as I said, the skyscale's ability to do all of that actually compliments the griffon, even while it replaces it. If you want to get to higher ground to make better use of your griffon, the skyscale is generally the best way to do that!

But enough talk. Here's a video that will quickly demonstrate the basic idea of the skyscale and make it immediately obvious that it can do things that the other mounts simply can't.

How does the skyscale fly indefinitely, setting aside those specific locations where your mount can eat volatile magic to refill its blue stamina bar?

I use the mastery speed boost on the griffon, and I do not consider the skyscale to be faster. My speed problem with the griffon is overshooting where I want to be. I have never experienced this problem with the skyscale. In the new map, for the champ train, I see many people using their griffon in order to get the speed so they can get a hit on the champ. The new map is perfect for the griffon due to the height at which we are parachuted in. I also use the griffon when I am meteorite farming in Istan. It's so fast that sometimes I can't tell where the directional indicator is pointing when using it on the griffon - for those impact sites around the Great Hall.

I use all the mounts as these are situational for me. I just wish I was better at drifting the beetle.

I was comparing the griffon and skyscale as all-purpose mounts. The skyscale is faster and more versatile for that purpose, effectively replacing the griffon. Where the griffon retains its role is the dive/zoom, which no other mount can replace. Make sense?

Depends on the map:General: Skyscale > Roller Beetle > Raptor = Skimmer

Special Notes:Griffon: Rarely am I high enough to justify it. I use it all the time in the new zone to get to the bosses since you are ported high in the sky.Jackal: Only for PortalsWarclaw: I don't play WVW outside of getting legendary weapons.

Raptor: For long jumps mostly.Springer: High jumps and abuse endurance regen for other mounts.Skimmer: Over water when not diving (really wish the Skimmer were like a airbag, activate and you dart up to the surface)Jackal: Versatile, good for very maze-like areas with sharp turns as "sand dash" always orients to the camera angle.Griffon: When on highest possible spots, use as high speed air travel.Beetle: When on open flat areas, use as high speed land travel.Skyscale: Controlled air movement, useful for material hunt and skip mobs.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:I was comparing the griffon and skyscale as all-purpose mounts. The skyscale is faster and more versatile for that purpose, effectively replacing the griffon. Where the griffon retains its role is the dive/zoom, which no other mount can replace. Make sense?

There is some nuance to it, though. I haven't been able to make a clean comparison, but I think the griffon's base flying speed is faster than the skyscale; but if you use the skyscale optimally (meaning the corkscrew spin as frequently as you can - which most people don't seem to bother doing), you can get considerable extra speed out of it. On the other hand, you can also get extra speed out of the griffon with a partial dive, it just doesn't last indefinitely. Which one wins in a race is highly dependent on terrain. If you're going uphill, it's probably going to be the skyscale. (If it's very flat, it probably will be too, but then again, most likely you didn't ask yourself that question and just pulled out roller beetle instead.)Long-distance of course you'll usually want to use both - I think the skyscale can get high enough off even flat ground to switch to griffon and get a full swoop out of it.

I wish the game had some actual air races to test this out with, though ? So far they've all been on the ground, which is great and all but it's time for some variety...