Jumping Puzzle Difficulty - Ember Bay

Ok, so I have spent the last hour trying to make one jump in the Ember Bay jumping puzzle. I've made it to the first check-point and I'm stuck trying to make a "perfect" jump onto a bit of rock sticking up after the first glide that seems almost impossible for my character not to slide off. I've made this jump twice (How I don't know) but have probably failed it over 100 times by now. This is NOT fun.

The only reason I am even in this puzzle is that someone decided it was a great idea to put the tokens for another achievement inside the puzzle (Token collector). It was NOT.

If you're going to make more jumping puzzles, please make them puzzles. Not almost impossible to make climbing up rocks that can't be done if you don't jump at exactly the right time and with your camera in a pixel-perfect angle. You should be able to complete a jumping puzzle on any character, but I'm seriously starting to think that I'm going to have to come back another time and bring something with a teleport skill (Assuming I have a slot for one) because I just cannot make this jump on my revenant (It's not even a jump it's literally hopping up a bit of rock). Why on earth would you make this so difficult?

As if that wasn't bad enough the place is plastered with mobs and once your armour is broken killing them is a complete pain. Please stop putting things for other achievements inside these torturous jumping puzzles that were clearly designed by satan or lower some of the rocks so that you don't need perfect millisecond jump timing to actually get on them. If I wanted to play or enjoyed a game where perfect jump timing mattered I'd have played more than 2 hours of Mario in my life (I'm in my 30s) and I'd be playing that, not GW2.

Tbh I didnt have any problem with making jumps in these puzzles - so maybe you're just doing something wrong? Or maybe I was lucky.But I do dislike these puzzles because I do not know WHERE I am supposed to get to and don't even know if these are jumping puzzles or not without watching a yt video /guide and that shouldn't be the case. The base game JP were usually done in a way you saw them and knew where you want to get to and how - you were supposed to make the right jump. It was obvious "OH THIS LOOKS LIKE JP!". In new once like this ones I often am like I wouldn't even know I'm in jumping puzzles.

@Kas.3509 said:maybe you're just doing something wrong? Or maybe I was lucky.

I'm TERRIBLE at jumping and platformers, and openly admit I'm absolutely abysmal at any sort of jumping stuff. It most definitely is me that is the problem here. But it's frustrating me almost to tears that I can't get the last 3 tokens I need for a completely non-jumping puzzle achievement because they were placed inside this god awful puzzle and mounting is disabled. Barely anyone taxis these puzzles because you need all the checkpoints to open the chest.

Honestly, I'd prefer a system where you have to go to the start of the puzzle (so like you said, you know it's a puzzle), pick something up and then it stops you mounting until you have completed the puzzle. If you do, you drop the token and have to start over. Those of us who just want to get the achievement items that happen to be inside the puzzle can then still mount up and get them easy enough. It would solve the problem with the stupid and in most cases redundant no mount zones as well.

@Kaida.1478 said:

@Kas.3509 said:maybe you're just doing something wrong? Or maybe I was lucky.

I'm TERRIBLE at jumping and platformers, and openly admit I'm absolutely abysmal at any sort of jumping stuff. It most definitely is me that is the problem here. But it's frustrating me almost to tears that I can't get the last 3 tokens I need for a completely non-jumping puzzle achievement because they were placed inside this god awful puzzle and mounting is disabled. Barely anyone taxis these puzzles because you need all the checkpoints to open the chest.

Honestly, I'd prefer a system where you have to go to the start of the puzzle (so like you said, you know it's a puzzle), pick something up and then it stops you mounting until you have completed the puzzle. If you do, you drop the token and have to start over. Those of us who just want to get the achievement items that happen to be inside the puzzle can then still mount up and get them easy enough. It would solve the problem with the stupid and in most cases redundant no mount zones as well.

That sounds like a good idea. I do not do collectibles like that and do like jumping puzzles, but I can imagine this being the nightmare for people who don't like it that much and need to repeat it over and over and over again.

Yeah, that JP was complete and total butt (And not in a good way)

I think it took me about 8 hours and 4 trips into the place to finally reach the end because of stupid greasy rocks and janky glider mechanics...

The mechanic of having to land on the exactly correct pixel or you slide off back to (What might as well be) the start is one of the worst ideas for JP's. The other top contender is stupid blind jumps (Which the JP in Siren's Call was full of).

I feel the design of the ghost pirate JP in LA is ideal. A bit of jump, a bit of puzzle, making a nice fun Jumping Puzzle.

As opposed to some pile of crap that you need a guide to be able to tell where to go (Such is the case with blind jumps) or need to watch a guide 100 times to learn the exact pixels you need to use in order to stick the jump you otherwise made...

I agree that most if not all achievements tied to anything like this are frustrating. When you have physical issues with your hands, as I do, JPs that rely on hitting that one pixel are beyond maddening. The poster above me mentioned the ghost pirate JP in Lion's Arch, and that one, while long and initially strange to me, turned out to be my favorite JP in the whole game. Sometimes I run it just for fun, or hang out when it's a Daily just to rez others.

The only thing worse than an achievement tied to a hard JP is an achievement tied to a TIMED hard JP. Sanctum Scramble for that elite shield, I'm looking at you. Yes, I understand how the mechanics work so don't try to "explain" it to me. I simply cannot do it within the allotted time, period. If I rush, I fall and fail. If I don't rush, I don't make it in time. So I've given up on ever getting that shield.

Not asking to be given anything without some effort. Perhaps if you try something and fail it X amount of times (50? 100?) you could buy an alternative. Not all of us are 20 years old with great reflexes. Now, you darn kids, get off my lawn! ;)

@Kaida.1478 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:If it's for a Legendary (Trinket), that's why it's included. Legendary items require 'legendary' feats.

It's for the token collector achievement which gives you an item that eats dust. I'm not interested in making a legendary.

Ahh, well, there are other eaters that are easier to acquire. Unless you want the Gleam of Sentience.

You might consider acquiring this item, if you want to keep using your Revenant: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Prototype_Position_Rewinder

Good luck.

@Kaida.1478 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:If it's for a Legendary (Trinket), that's why it's included. Legendary items require 'legendary' feats.

It's for the token collector achievement which gives you an item that eats dust. I'm not interested in making a legendary.

Incidentally that achievement is one of four that unlocks the achievements for the legendary trinket Aurora. While you may not be interested in making that, that is partly why the tokens are there. I did it as a Mesmer in a party of three Mesmers and it still wasn't easy. I too am terrible at jumping.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:If it's for a Legendary (Trinket), that's why it's included. Legendary items require 'legendary' feats.

Ahh, well, there are other eaters that are easier to acquire. Unless you want the Gleam of Sentience.

You might consider acquiring this item, if you want to keep using your Revenant:

Good luck.

I fully endorse this recommendation. The Prototype Position Rewinder is a useful tool to help us mere mortals complete JPs.

Once I made it up to the chest, without searching for the tokens, and literally nothing in this world will make me do this sh... again for the tokens. No, I love jumping puzzles, but I expect to see the path where to jump and not have to use a video guide to see where I have to glide or jump. So a clear minus 5 stars for this.

Buy a Prototype Position-Rewinder from LS4.2. You can also skip the burning parts entirely with Skyscale+glide from the skull. If all else fails, take a Thief or Mesmer, both have portals and allow "resetting" if you miss a jump. Lastly Engineer can do precision jumps with their Rifle or you can buy the consumable item Experimental Rifle which does the same thing for any class.