New Accounts and Mount Availability Solution - [Merged]

Found out about how to easily get the raptor when I was level 40. I didn’t mind it 1-39 but on 40 I got annoyed, so I asked a random guy I saw ran by. Man it made 40-80 ten times more comfortable. I don’t think people will quit over it, but once they find out they will think: d’oh!! Since it’s locked after a story gate it’s hard to move it forward I guess? Perhaps they can give you a rock gazelle (temp) mount that has no abilities and runs slightly slower than all other mounts or something once you get level 20?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Lumikki.1725 said:Mount allow faster travel, what allow player to get first in many places and run pass some enemies. They are used allmost every where in Tyria lands. So it's advance what these players have. Now, new player in lower levels. How does it hurt anyone if they also have access to somekind of mount system, as long they have PoF access in general. New players can basicly play only levels what they characters are able.

So should we make so that on all maps in lower levels mount access would be denied from everyone.

If You say big NO, then think why are you saying it.

You're assuming that new players are rushing to events to do their daily and also just happen to be on that particular map. Enemies are so spread out in core Tyria that players can easily run past them without any issues. They also have various means of movement speed increases available to them.

In addition to Lumikki's point, I am running to them because they give awesome XP compared to anything else and are far more fun than just doing hearts.

@Teratus.2859 said:I've put forward my own arguments in the past for why the Warclaw should be made available to the core game to act like a starter mount.

I still stand by this and believe it will be a great incentive for new players to both try WvW and for them to want to invest in PoF and Living world 4 for the others.It would also serve as a good core game end-game reward for new players to persue as well should they choose to.

I had to google the warclaw. Never heard of it ha ha... but I do not WvW, so I would have never been anywhere to hear of it.

I think as long as the players pay for PoF they should be able to get a mount. It could be as simple as making a waypoint to a mount store. Run a senseless bit of story (similar to the one we already do for the raptor), and give them a mount. Older players can say that we did fine without mounts for years... but no one had mounts. As it is now, a player on foot cannot keep up or compete.

I have an account with no Mounts. I don't really find it a problem.Even on my main account, I don't rush to the events called out or with Commander/Mentor tags in lower-level maps. I just hang around Renown Heart areas (which were put in the maps to highlight event areas), or wander the map, and find Events. If you want to avoid the crowds, and missing out on events, don't rush to those events everyone else is going to. There are plenty of events on the maps.

I don't know if the Devs would require owning Path of Fire to rent Mounts; they don't require it during Festivals and Roller Beetle Racing. Any time things are exactly the same, there are laments about 'consistency'. /shrug

@Lumikki.1725 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:You're assuming that new players are rushing to events to do their daily and also just happen to be on that particular map. Enemies are so spread out in core Tyria that players can easily run past them without any issues. They also have various means of movement speed increases available to them.

Yes, in Tyria lower core lands player can run pass enemies with easy. How ever that doesn't solve all the issues. What is, that mounted player has allready done the event, because the player without mount is still running. Also speed increase is possible many ways, but does new player even know how to do it? Does new player even know what Dailies are?

PS: I don't do dailies at all.

If you're asking me whether a new player knows what dailies are, why does it matter if they're rushing to an event? Clearly they'd be playing the game naturally and stumble upon them.

@Opopanax.1803 said:

@Lumikki.1725 said:Mount allow faster travel, what allow player to get first in many places and run pass some enemies. They are used allmost every where in Tyria lands. So it's advance what these players have. Now, new player in lower levels. How does it hurt anyone if they also have access to somekind of mount system, as long they have PoF access in general. New players can basicly play only levels what they characters are able.

So should we make so that on all maps in lower levels mount access would be denied from everyone.

You're assuming that new players are rushing to events to do their daily and also just happen to be on that particular map. Enemies are so spread out in core Tyria that players can easily run past them without any issues. They also have various means of movement speed increases available to them.

In addition to Lumikki's point, I am running to them because they give awesome XP compared to anything else and are far more fun than just doing hearts.

Based on time, it's inefficient to do just events. You're better off doing map completion and events that happen to be going on in the vicinity.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Based on time, it's inefficient to do just events. You're better off doing map completion and events that happen to be going on in the vicinity.

Why would you assume that anyone would just do events? Usually they pop up when you are doing other stuff like map completion - and it's best to jump on them when they do!

@Tukaram.8256 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:I've put forward my own arguments in the past for why the Warclaw should be made available to the core game to act like a starter mount.

I still stand by this and believe it will be a great incentive for new players to both try WvW and for them to want to invest in PoF and Living world 4 for the others.It would also serve as a good core game end-game reward for new players to persue as well should they choose to.

I had to google the warclaw. Never heard of it ha ha... but I do not WvW, so I would have never been anywhere to hear of it.

I think as long as the players pay for PoF they should be able to get a mount. It could be as simple as making a waypoint to a mount store. Run a senseless bit of story (similar to the one we already do for the raptor), and give them a mount. Older players can say that we did fine without mounts for years... but no one had mounts. As it is now, a player on foot cannot keep up or compete.

Yes that's why I believe we need a core world mount myself, to help close that mobility gap between mounts and players.

I never played WvW when the Warclaw was introduced either but I still went there to get it.And while I still don't consider myself a WvW player I do now do all or most of my dailies in WvW because of how easily and quickly they can be done ^^Plus the WvW potions you get for them are so so useful for completing reward tracks and unlocking new skins or Gifts of Battle etc.I started hording them a while ago and am not too far off 500 of them now (note: it takes 80 to fully complete a reward track so I have enough for almost 6 gifts of battle)Plus completing reward tracks as you play casually too is good, got some Gifts of battle in the bank along with unlocked a lot of armour skins I didn't have before or know about.

In PvE the Warclaw isn't anything special.. if anything it's kinda worse than a Raptor in every way and that is actually a good thing.These limitations allow it to function perfectly as a core game starter mount, fixing the mobility gap without needing to add another mount to the game to act like a core world first mount which will ultimatley be useless to most people outside of cosmetics.

@Teratus.2859 said:

Yes that's why I believe we need a core world mount myself, to help close that mobility gap between mounts and players.

I never played WvW when the Warclaw was introduced either but I still went there to get it.And while I still don't consider myself a WvW player I do now do all or most of my dailies in WvW because of how easily and quickly they can be done ^^Plus the WvW potions you get for them are so so useful for completing reward tracks and unlocking new skins or Gifts of Battle etc.I started hording them a while ago and am not too far off 500 of them now (note: it takes 80 to fully complete a reward track so I have enough for almost 6 gifts of battle)Plus completing reward tracks as you play casually too is good, got some Gifts of battle in the bank along with unlocked a lot of armour skins I didn't have before or know about.

In PvE the Warclaw isn't anything special.. if anything it's kinda worse than a Raptor in every way and that is actually a good thing.These limitations allow it to function perfectly as a core game starter mount, fixing the mobility gap without needing to add another mount to the game to act like a core world first mount which will ultimatley be useless to most people outside of cosmetics.

interesting. I dont do much wvw, but I wonder if it would help get new players to cross over into wvw more if they had a quest to direct them to it. That could help get more life in that game mode; could be good.

I recently was on F2P account, and never had any of these problems, even in low level zones with daily event completer. Any class have mobility skills, ranged skills and Aoe skills to tag events. Yes, people do engage with mounts, but that doesn't make any difference, because scaled down level 80 will kill those mobs in a second either way.I was leveling an engineer, using Elixir B, toss Elixir U, Rocket boots and Medkit#Infusion Bomb for swiftness, could get in time almost anywhere I need. Plus a 1500 range Mortar Kit to tag mobs. Best leveling experience I've ever had.

@Opopanax.1803 said:

interesting. I dont do much wvw, but I wonder if it would help get new players to cross over into wvw more if they had a quest to direct them to it. That could help get more life in that game mode; could be good.

I don't know how many 'new' players would have the 200 Gold necessary to acquire the Warclaw. If that's what you meant by 'quest'.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I don't know how many 'new' players would have the 200 Gold necessary to acquire the Warclaw. If that's what you meant by 'quest'.

Don't know where you got your warclaw. But it is not 200gold. It is 8 gold, but you need pof

Since you can't buy anything except the expansion right now (which has both Path of Fire and Heart of Thorns) I don't know where these new players are that can't get mounts. Boost to 80, get mount, run around not a big deal.Solving a problem that doesn't actually exist is interesting but kind of not useful.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:And yet, players played in HoT maps for 2 years without Mounts.

After they fully unlocked HoT movement-related masateries that immensely improved map experience there. There's a reason, however, why for many players the initial reaction to the HoT maps was mostly negative.

I still remember the feeling of having to traverse those maps without most of the QoL features from those masteries, and it was a very painful experience. I hated those maps very, very much on my initial contact with them. Full mastery unlocks made them bearable, but it was only with the coming of mounts that i could really say that the maps are okay now.

I remember running in Tangle Depth before mounts became a thing and my glider wasn't upgraded past the updraft. Lol.

But, I don't think mount should be a thing that new player can just have from the start; Core game was made without mounts in mind. Even HoT was made without mounts in mind.

But before mounts, high level people that were too fast to complete an event was still a problem anyway (heralds beeing very well welcomed for their swiftness share, peolple gliding from a nearby mountain).

I wouldn't mind a nerf on the engage abilities as they are seriously op, especially in core tyria pre-level 80.

Since the base game was designed w/out mounts in mind, why? When I was a new player, I didn't fret about not having a mount. I was more worried about whether I was going to enjoy the game that was offered. After I determined that, I decided to buy expansions, and unlock mounts. Even with that, I haven't bothered with unlocking all of them, so far I just have the Skimmer, Raptor, and the jumpy one, that I can never remember the name of...

Also, it's not necessary to complete the story to unlock the Raptor, one only needs do the first part, and there's the quest for the Raptor. I the three mounts I mentioned above, and have yet to finish PoF.

@Hirukaru.4539 said:

Don't know where you got your warclaw. But it is not 200gold. It is 8 gold, but you need pof

The 200g is for the Reward Track that gives the Guild Warclaw skin.. I think we've been getting it confused with the other Warclaw reward track which you need to complete for the Warclaw mount.

@Yargesh.4965 said:

@Yargesh.4965 said:Solving a problem that doesn't actually exist is interesting but kind of not useful.It's another veiled entitlement thread. Someone has something that someone else doesn't and some who don't believe that everyone deserves it.

Or you know, not.

Then why not obtain mounts the way that the game has them now? Why the push for loaner/rental mounts?

I just leveled a new 80 on a free account, having no mount really only affected me for the daily, and that was only if the level 80 daily was also in a newbie zone so it was not every days daily that was affected. I still leveled at the same pace as I always have, mounts or no.

I too made a new account, to experience again what it felt like to be new, no masteries, no mounts. Also to see what might have been changed (yay tutorial achievements!) I even kept it on the F2P mode until not being able to use map chat or to whisper drove me nuts, and upgraded. I had no issue with events, I just did them when they'd pop up in range of my mini-map. I would occasionally wish I had my glider or skyscale, but running around on foot or using waypoints didn't feel like a bother. I levelled to 80, got my personal story for core done, but then caved and skipped to HoT so I could get masteries unlocked before doing LW2 only because no auto loot was driving me nuts. Core Tyria seriously is fine with no raptor, and another bonus was I discovered a TON of stuff I didn't even know was there, especially doing map completion in cities.

I think it's a good thing mounts aren't available to new players. They make you miss so much, all the little details that make Tyria a special place.