Just a thought - new way of revealing new elite specializations

Hi everyone!

Today I had a dream where the new elite specializations were being revealed in-game by an NPC :P The NPC (a Seraph, if I remember correctly) said she had a special announcement and then, one by one, revealed the new elite specializations.

I remember waking up and thinking this could actually be interesting and more... dynamic? But I'd like to read your thoughts :) Also, if you could choose a new way of revealing elite specializations, what would it be?

I like the way they subtly hinted at them pre HoT. Giving Marjory her sisters‘ greatsword -> Reaper, giving Braham Eir‘s longbow -> Dragonhunter.If they‘re doing the same thing again, there may already be hints of Necro getting a shield and Guardian an off-hand sword.

Would like something different for once. Instead of just gathering hero points by running around in map, why not like legendary gen 1: having a journey tied to each spec. Can be a training, reading books, speaking with npcs, going to place x, completing y quest.

People are already annoyed at having to quest to unlock the griffon and skyscale, which are really just QoL items. Imagine the uproar at locking elites behind such? ANet switched to the hero point system for a reason -- remember back in the day when players had to actually unlock skills and traits?

@"kharmin.7683" said:People are already annoyed at having to quest to unlock the griffon and skyscale, which are really just QoL items. Imagine the uproar at locking elites behind such? ANet switched to the hero point system for a reason -- remember back in the day when players had to actually unlock skills and traits?

That system was better because players had a reason to actually do content. Now everything that was associated with that system are just forgotten champs, minidungeons and events that seem to have no purpose beyond "being there".

The game always needed more reward systems, not less, and Elite Specs are the ultimate reward.

(But I think they should be unlocked by default in PvP, and placed in Reward Tracks in WvW, for fairness.)

• Like 1

@Hannelore.8153 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:People are already annoyed at having to quest to unlock the griffon and skyscale, which are really just QoL items. Imagine the uproar at locking elites behind such? ANet switched to the hero point system for a reason -- remember back in the day when players had to actually unlock skills and traits?

That system was better because players had a reason to actually do content. Now everything that was associated with that system are just forgotten champs, minidungeons and events that seem to have no purpose beyond "being there".

The game always needed more reward systems, not less, and Elite Specs are the ultimate reward.

Perhaps, but to me that would lead more toward forced content.

I mean, if we're just talking about revealing them, not accessing them? Sure why not.

You could even go one step further and sneakily add in some new events that work similarly to the Legendary Bandit Executioners, where the big angery boss guy is using a new E-Spec as the reveal/teaser.

As for accessing them... Pretty much every way of allowing access to E-Specs is going to be awful...

HP's are awful because they're tedious to run around picking up just to access your new E-Spec (Also, if you have a bank of HP's from doing Core/HoT/PoF map completions you may even be able to insta-unlock a full E-Spec anyway)

Locking behind collections or quests is also tedious, when people have to play tons of hours to get the new class features that are a primary incentive for the expansion that's not going to go down well.

Simply handing people the new E-Specs is also kind of lame. Though at least it wouldn't take any focus away from playing the actual content.

@Raknar.4735 said:I like the way they subtly hinted at them pre HoT. Giving Marjory her sisters‘ greatsword -> Reaper, giving Braham Eir‘s longbow -> Dragonhunter.If they‘re doing the same thing again, there may already be hints of Necro getting a shield and Guardian an off-hand sword.

I liked that, too.

Out of interest: where do you get the idea from that necro might get shield and guardian offhand sword?

@"hugo.4705" said:Would like something different for once. Instead of just gathering hero points by running around in map, why not like legendary gen 1: having a journey tied to each spec. Can be a training, reading books, speaking with npcs, going to place x, completing y quest.New thief e-spec "mass murderer", unlock skill points by killing other players in sPvP / WvW.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:I like the way they subtly hinted at them pre HoT. Giving Marjory her sisters‘ greatsword -> Reaper, giving Braham Eir‘s longbow -> Dragonhunter.If they‘re doing the same thing again, there may already be hints of Necro getting a shield and Guardian an off-hand sword.

I liked that, too.

Out of interest: where do you get the idea from that necro might get shield and guardian offhand sword?

Necro shield from Jhavi, she uses one in the promotional pictures and the Icebrood Saga trailer (also used it back in the past, when she wasn‘t a major story character). When fighting Drakkar on Bjora Marches she is using a focus to channel and shield us, so she‘ll most likely switch to shield in a future story mission.

Guardian offhand sword is used in Visions of the Past by a certain prominent character, using a spoiler thingie in case you haven‘t played it.

! While fighting Almorra, she starts out using an offhand shield. If you look closely, she will change her offhand to another sword after a while, dual wielding swords. My guess is the next Guardian especc will be based on that, a „speedy“ guardian.

@kharmin.7683 said:People are already annoyed at having to quest to unlock the griffon and skyscale, which are really just QoL items. Imagine the uproar at locking elites behind such? ANet switched to the hero point system for a reason -- remember back in the day when players had to actually unlock skills and traits?

Roller beetle was very nicely executed as quest/collection, griffon was a fun adventure but with expensive 25g items to buy, skyscale kinda the same but to me abusive grinds and required steps. I crafted the predator was fun too. But hey, peoples pvping/wvwing can also have them, speaking through wvw guards, capturing places, kinda same for pvp but with as example, finding objects within arenas whatever. And see the hero system, isn't it a chore to run around maps killing champs to get 10 points?250 points are required, 25 of them. It is, already forcing players to play pve to unlock them, plus I don't consider it fun and logic to run around, kills heropoints-npcs and poof you can become elite spec.... Is it really a training? Instead of exploring, i'm losing time killing x generic veteran/champ hero point npc.

How about a short story where your character is captured and weaponless? During the break out the only weapon available to her is (insert new xpac elite weapon.). The whole escape story is a tutorial on the new weapon. At the end she hands it back to the owner.“Thanks for letting me barrow that. It was different but I think I would like to learn more about how to use it better ...”.“Keep it, you earned it”

It would be the same short story for all characters. The weapon available changes based on the character’s profession.

@"Brycar.2651" said:How about a short story where your character is captured and weaponless? During the break out the only weapon available to her is (insert new xpac elite weapon.). The whole escape story is a tutorial on the new weapon. At the end she hands it back to the owner.“Thanks for letting me barrow that. It was different but I think I would like to learn more about how to use it better ...”.“Keep it, your earned it”

It would be the same short story for all characters. The weapon available changes based on the character’s profession.

I guess it would be time to call upon the might of the Legendary Prisoner again then (as a revenant)!

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_Prisoner_Stance

@Brycar.2651 said:How about a short story where your character is captured and weaponless? During the break out the only weapon available to her is (insert new xpac elite weapon.). The whole escape story is a tutorial on the new weapon. At the end she hands it back to the owner.“Thanks for letting me barrow that. It was different but I think I would like to learn more about how to use it better ...”.“Keep it, your earned it”

Sounds interesting!

I know jhavi has a shield but where did a guard have offhand sword?

@Fenom.9457 said:

The prominent guardian boss at the end of the Darkrime Delves mission in Visions of the Past, see my other post.

! Almorra

@TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:Hi everyone!

Today I had a dream where the new elite specializations were being revealed in-game by an NPC :P The NPC (a Seraph, if I remember correctly) said she had a special announcement and then, one by one, revealed the new elite specializations.

I remember waking up and thinking this could actually be interesting and more... dynamic? But I'd like to read your thoughts :) Also, if you could choose a new way of revealing elite specializations, what would it be?

You had a dream about it right? Can u plz tell me wat was thiefs new spec? xD

i always wanted something like one single (one time) quest that kinda allows you to train it, i always thought of so many opportunities that they never used.like the time :

! Aurene died but got back alive, now attacking krakatorikthat was the perfect time for a new E-spec, training something better to get back at it with something "he" doesn't expect.

@Raknar.4735 said:

The prominent guardian boss at the end of the Darkrime Delves mission in Visions of the Past, see my other post.

! Almorra

Sorry I’m an idiot I saw it after I posted and scrolled up. And I hope you’re right, I feel like that would he really cool for guardian

@Arcaniaxs.4519 said:

Ahah x) I remember the new weapon for the thief was an off-hand torch, and the 'concept image' was a thief exploring and robbing an ancient tomb lol. I don't remember specific skills but I do remember the torch was meant to be a medium-ranged weapon that you could throw and set things on fire, and create different combos (skills) when using a sword vs dagger vs pistol.

@TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

Ahah x) I remember the new weapon for the thief was an off-hand torch, and the 'concept image' was a thief exploring and robbing an ancient tomb lol. I don't remember specific skills but I do remember the torch was meant to be a medium-ranged weapon that you could throw and set things on fire, and create different combos (skills) when using a sword vs dagger vs pistol.

What was the engineer?:3

@TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

Ahah x) I remember the new weapon for the thief was an off-hand torch, and the 'concept image' was a thief exploring and robbing an ancient tomb lol. I don't remember specific skills but I do remember the torch was meant to be a medium-ranged weapon that you could throw and set things on fire, and create different combos (skills) when using a sword vs dagger vs pistol.Ooo... a treasure hunter spec that... explore and find the buried treasures in ancient tombs of cantha with a torch is meaningful for me... niiice

@hugo.4705 said:Would like something different for once. Instead of just gathering hero points by running around in map, why not like legendary gen 1: having a journey tied to each spec. Can be a training, reading books, speaking with npcs, going to place x, completing y quest.

There are around 400 hero points you can't use currently. With 10 hero challenges in the new expansion, they could add 2 elite spec to unlock for 500 points (2x250)