It's time for Shared Gathering Tools Slots

If they had shared, per character, harvesting tools then they should be able to have per character wardrobe choices so that they could be customized for each character instead of one look fits all. This could encourage buying more gemstore tools for the wardrobe instead of buying one set to use for all chars. 

Edited by Just a flesh wound.3589
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

On 7/31/2020 at 4:25 PM, Turkeyspit.3965 said:

If Permanent Gathering Tools were shareable across all my toons, I might actually buy a set. So long as I have to swap them between characters, either via the bank or shared inventory slots, it will remain a nope.avi.

No offence, but to me this sounds like an excuse at first (if it were ..., then i might ...), but maybe I can help not only you with the following thoughts.

At first: I mean, I can kind of understand the whole thing - no question. The idea of using the armoury function for that.

In this case, however, I think the suggestion with the gathering tools (available account-wide by default upon purchase) is more about personal convenience. For me, this is not necessarily a "QoL" addition. But well, as mentioned - I can definitely understand the thought.

Example: In my case (rather at the beginning), I knew after a while that I would eventually acquire "unlimited gathering tools". I had already thought about the fact that the "shared inventory slots" would play a role at that point. And that's how I use or keep it to this day. When I change characters, I have trained myself to remember to drag the tools into the shared inventory slots beforehand.

I use a little trick to do this (it may sound or read a bit awkward at first, but it's not really). Each character is equipped with normal, finite gathering tools from the beginning (the infinite gathering tools are initially in the shared inventory during this process). If I want to use the infinite tools, I simply click on them and exchange/equip them automatically (at this point the finite tools are in the shared inventory). This works in both directions. Basically, it's just a question of "training". Yes, sometimes (rather rarely) it happens that I forget to exchange them again, but then that's up to me ...

Edited by Metzie.3451
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

My friend, who is much more organized (and competent) then me, has a method that works for him. His characters have different color schemes. He has purchased karma gathering tools that match the color of each character. So, if he forgets to swap the infinite tools back, he can tell by the color of the karma tool in the shared inventory which character has the infinite tools. 

I just keep mine on my thief. 🙂

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Why would people buy more if all they ever need is 3?

There are people who have bought it for each of their characters.

+ You can already solve this by having normal tools on every character, 3 account wide slots with your unlimited in them.

Dubble click when you login and when you logout then all your characters will have the unlimited tools.

yup 3,(~ 3000 gem at sale?) and extra 3 shareable slots (~1890 gems? :classic_blink:) becuse in my opinion salvage-o-matics are more important than gathering tools to be in my already existing slots 🙂 (i agree too that you dont need more than 3 highly because its a nice-to-have-item)

but seriously this is super annoying, how i'v been exposed to this topic after paying 2000 gems ....

i belive we can agree this thing could be much easier as 3 shareable account -wide slots for the tools, an option to swap design (with transmutation charges or whatever..) and that's it (slots that i think should have been there from the start!!) .

k wish me luck at the shareable slots farm 🥴

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Why not take this idea a step further.  Why not make completing content account wide, too?  That way, I need only use one character but all of the map unlocks, story unlocks, crafting and so on is automatically opened for all characters on my account.

its a little bit absolute 🤣 but i understand your point... every character has its own story and style. im talking about those 3 little (existing) slots and upgrade them to someting just like the newly-added legendary armory. they are both luxury, high-cost item that one is shareable accros all the character in the account and their templates and the other one isnt.

it really could be nice add to the game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, idobu.9510 said:

its a little bit absolute 🤣 but i understand your point... every character has its own story and style. im talking about those 3 little (existing) slots and upgrade them to someting just like the newly-added legendary armory. they are both luxury, high-cost item that one is shareable accros all the character in the account and their templates and the other one isnt.

it really could be nice add to the game. 

No, that wasn't my point.  Point being why should everything be account bound?  The OP request seems a bit silly to me when it is easy enough to move these tools using shared inventory slots, as described by at least one poster in this thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

32 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

No, that wasn't my point.  Point being why should everything be account bound?  The OP request seems a bit silly to me when it is easy enough to move these tools using shared inventory slots, as described by at least one poster in this thread. 

The unlimited gathering tools and their shareability at their current state are good. but they can always can be better ! 🙂
well. its just a small utility item nothing crazy , in the end it depends on the mighty development gods at Anet lol

Edited by idobu.9510
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, idobu.9510 said:

The unlimited gathering tools and their shareability at their current state are good. but they can always can be better ! 🙂
well. its just a small utility item nothing crazy , in the end it depends on the mighty development gods at Anet lol

It's lazy and entitled, imo.  I guess I'm old.  /shrug

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

13 minutes ago, Kinurak.5307 said:

Will Anet refund my gems for the 5 other sets of unlimited gathering tools i have? Cuz if not, im really gonna be pissed.

i really hope so m8! after 2/3 of a set and i feel the pain in my pocket (and my head).

imo this situation of buying another unlimited gathering tool should be based on the animation ,design or certian glyph that i really like\need and not filling another slot in other character cuz there is NO TOOL AT ALL THERE even AFTER i spent a ton of gem. 

Edited by idobu.9510
  • Confused 2

Yea I have like 3 sets at this point. I started out with the basic unbreakable set, then got a few that had glyphs I wanted + a skin and later to have 3 complete sets instead of too many of one type and not enough of another I used Statuettes when the scientific set was 25 each. Now I have 3 full sets and good glyphs. I keep one toon parked to do Home instance and guild hall each day, and one I keep on a wvw toon, the 3rd set I keep on the toon Im using the most overall. The rest I keep the Wintersday consumable and VM consumable tools mostly.

1 hour ago, Kinurak.5307 said:

Will Anet refund my gems for the 5 other sets of unlimited gathering tools i have? Cuz if not, im really gonna be pissed.

Yea good point. I mean I would LOVE it if they added gathering tools to separate shared slots and refunded for the extra sets. I just dont see why Anet would ever do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, idobu.9510 said:

Better for whom?  ArenaNet?  Not convinced. 

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Why not take this idea a step further.  Why not make completing content account wide, too?  That way, I need only use one character but all of the map unlocks, story unlocks, crafting and so on is automatically opened for all characters on my account.

No, never, absolutely not.  I enjoy earning the extra keys for completing areas on each character.  Your idea would rob me of this pleasure.

8 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Better for whom?  ArenaNet?  Not convinced. 

better for the players. its making the unlimited gathering tools more practical to use and saves thousends of gems for the players (at least for the players who havent maxed-out every gathering tool slot).

Edited by idobu.9510
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Not anyone...as in not ArenaNet.  The only one you need to convince. 

they made kinda "first step" in the subject with the legend armory which became fully account-wide item.

i am sure that they can do it with less significant utility item as unlimited gathering tools.

but you are super right, we can talk all day if its good \ not interesting\ bad and so on....in the end Anet decides by their agenda.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

But... the tools are already account bound, and always were.  The above argument applies just as equally to legendries, after all, unless I'm missing something.  Unless you feel that the legendary armor is also "lazy and entitled"?

If there was no limit on the number of shared slots you could have, I'd agree it was unnecessary.  As it is, I don't see why the same argument about ease of storage/transfer shouldn't apply to gathering tools as well as legendries.  Though I'd rather it be material-storage style, so you can deposit whatever tools you have and withdraw a set when you need.  Snowflake gathering tools tend to take up an inordinate amount of my bank space until around this time of year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Lyssia.4637 said:

But... the tools are already account bound, and always were.  The above argument applies just as equally to legendries, after all, unless I'm missing something.  Unless you feel that the legendary armor is also "lazy and entitled"?

If there was no limit on the number of shared slots you could have, I'd agree it was unnecessary.  As it is, I don't see why the same argument about ease of storage/transfer shouldn't apply to gathering tools as well as legendries.  Though I'd rather it be material-storage style, so you can deposit whatever tools you have and withdraw a set when you need.  Snowflake gathering tools tend to take up an inordinate amount of my bank space until around this time of year.

execly my point.

in that case i prefer "efficient", not lazy 🙂 

and your idea also great, any possile option that will make this item easier to transfer and less costly will be great.

just need someone from Anet to notice it. 😆

• Like 3

On 7/31/2020 at 1:10 PM, Croc.1978 said:

For extended gathering sessions I agree. But this is not viable for all situations. For instance, I have 3 alts parked at the Rich Quartz Crystal node in Crystal Oasis right now. Every day, each of them picks up their 10 Quartz Crystal. It just takes a couple of seconds and then I switch character. Though I have a spare set of unlimited gathering tools available, I just can't bring myself to use it for that. Instead, I use the normal Orichalcum mining picks.

Would be way too much micromanagement for me to equip tool, gather, unequip and then put it back into the shared slot again if I had to do it multiple times every day.

I'm fairly certain that the devs didn't create GW2 with this type of mining in mind.  I would venture to say that they would prefer players to actually engage in the environment as opposed to parking alts for mat farming.   Still, to swap tools through shared inventory slots wouldn't really take a lot of time out of your day.  It would only add a couple more seconds.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

Yea good point. I mean I would LOVE it if they added gathering tools to separate shared slots and refunded for the extra sets. I just dont see why Anet would ever do that.

I think this is the point. I believe infinite tools should have been designed from the start with an armory-type system in mind, but as we all know the legendary armory is a very new thing and it's likely they didn't even know it was feasible to implement at the time infinite tools were made. As such, we have the system we have, and it seems to have made ANet some money along the way (they certainly got a bit of cash out of me for 3 sets of them and 3 shared inventory slots dedicated to tool-sharing).

At this point I don't see why ANet would ever change the system. The current one isn't the greatest inconvenience, and it also makes them money. It's not that I don't find the idea attractive, but "players want it" isn't always enough to justify changes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

I think this is the point. I believe infinite tools should have been designed from the start with an armory-type system in mind, but as we all know the legendary armory is a very new thing and it's likely they didn't even know it was feasible to implement at the time infinite tools were made. As such, we have the system we have, and it seems to have made ANet some money along the way (they certainly got a bit of cash out of me for 3 sets of them and 3 shared inventory slots dedicated to tool-sharing).

At this point I don't see why ANet would ever change the system. The current one isn't the greatest inconvenience, and it also makes them money. It's not that I don't find the idea attractive, but "players want it" isn't always enough to justify changes.

I undetstand the reasoning, and I wish you good luck I guess cause I wouldnt mind it myself, but its not really the same as legendary armor. 

As a long time player that made legendary armor before build templates got added. I can tell you the road that lead to the creation of the Armory was long and I think accidental. What I mean is, before the template system Legendary items behaved like other ascended but with the ability to change stats, runes, infusions, sigils on the fly, but it behaved the same as ascended for moving items between characters. It was allot more expensive to craft but you at least could do that. However, to change builds you had to swap stats etc while others waited or use 3rd party apps like arc that did it for you. This created some issues but it worked.

Then they added Templates and all of a sudden legendary items got a sort of downgrade because without each one would lose its sigils, runes etc if you unequipt it to build swap unless you had it "saved" in a template with those items, etc. This made carrying spare ascended more practical in many cases than just using legendary armor, weapons which was kinda insulting to everyone who went though all thr time, expense etc to get things like Legendary armor. So someone got a fine idea to make the Armory which makes it more practical to swap your legendary armor around (because 99.9% of players arent going to craft more than say one light legendary armor set) and made Legendary items the undisputed best of again instead of being some times less practical than using ascende.

As for tools, the same cannot be said. Players simply buy them with gems and have no real need to place them into an armory, furthermore, it would not benefit Anet at all. The Armory system actually benefits Anet too because now people with full legendary like myself have more reason to buy equipment templates or character slots than before whereas allot of us boycoted the templates before due to how they downgraded legendary armor,, etc. So I think if you take all that into consideration you can probably undertstand why the Armory exists and why Gathering tools have no justification for such a feature.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

I undetstand the reasoning, and I wish you good luck I guess cause I wouldnt mind it myself, but its not really the same as legendary armor. 

As a long time player that made legendary armor before build templates got added. I can tell you the road that lead to the creation of the Armory was long and I think accidental. What I mean is, before the template system Legendary items behaved like other ascended but with the ability to change stats, runes, infusions, sigils on the fly, but it behaved the same as ascended for moving items between characters. It was allot more expensive to craft but you at least could do that. However, to change builds you had to swap stats etc while others waited or use 3rd party apps like arc that did it for you. This created some issues but it worked.

Then they added Templates and all of a sudden legendary items got a sort of downgrade because without each one would lose its sigils, runes etc if you unequipt it to build swap unless you had it "saved" in a template with those items, etc. This made carrying spare ascended more practical in many cases than just using legendary armor, weapons which was kinda insulting to everyone who went though all thr time, expense etc to get things like Legendary armor. So someone got a fine idea to make the Armory which makes it more practical to swap your legendary armor around (because 99.9% of players arent going to craft more than say one light legendary armor set) and made Legendary items the undisputed best of again instead of being some times less practical than using ascende.

As for tools, the same cannot be said. Players simply buy them with gems and have no real need to place them into an armory, furthermore, it would not benefit Anet at all. The Armory system actually benefits Anet too because now people with full legendary like myself have more reason to buy equipment templates or character slots than before whereas allot of us boycoted the templates before due to how they downgraded legendary armor,, etc. So I think if you take all that into consideration you can probably undertstand why the Armory exists and why Gathering tools have no justification for such a feature.

Oh I was agreeing with your initial assessment (that there is no pressing need for ANet to add an amory-type functionality to them).

I, too, made 2 full sets of legendary armor and many weapons prior to the armory. I also noticed, like everyone else, that build/gear loadouts gave ascended gear a huge upgrade, and essentially turned them into much cheaper legendaries - as it was, the pre-armory loadout system completely eliminated the stat-swap value of legendaries, reducing them purely to just skins. In that sense the armory just partially restored the value of legendaries. For me, the value for the full armor and weapon sets now is simply that new characters don't have to make new ascended gear for themselves anymore.

So yes, I fully agree. The armory system isn't something the game was designed with, and it is best seen as a "restore value to legendaries" feature. As such, as nice as an armory system for infinite tools would be, it was never part of the tools' design, and current workarounds are easy enough that I don't think ANet really has any motivation to change the system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1