Vanilla Mount Dye Vs Gem Store Skin Dyes

Gotta say, I was rather extremely disappointed to hear that the new mount skins came included with 4 dye channels with the capability of colouring the whole mount completely.So it has me puzzled why all the vanilla mounts were stuck with a single 1.Clearly it wasn't a technical limitation from what we see here with the new skin releases and even the raptor minis.

It is not favorable in my eyes to think that the dye channels were purposefully neglected in favor of selling the skins.Whilst on their own, the skins themselves I think would have sold regardless if the vanilla ones had more than one channel or not.

Perhaps I'm the only one who has the sour taste in their mouth knowing they took a notably requested feature and put it exclusively behind a paywall after having just paid for it.Hopefully an alternative can be addressed in the future for this, but I don't hold too much hope.

I'd put 800 gems, no more. And yes, only one dye channel for the base mounts appears like they want to force us to buy the dyable ones... Well, this has the opposite effect on me: I will not buy the new skins because I don't agree with these methods. Come on, let us dye, I don't know, the eyes, of the base mounts. And let us change the ugly blue of the griffon's collar...

@Talonblaze.3175 said:Gotta say, I was rather extremely disappointed to hear that the new mount skins came included with 4 dye channels with the capability of colouring the whole mount completely.So it has me puzzled why all the vanilla mounts were stuck with a single 1.Clearly it wasn't a technical limitation from what we see here with the new skin releases and even the raptor minis.

It is not favorable in my eyes to think that the dye channels were purposefully neglected in favor of selling the skins.Whilst on their own, the skins themselves I think would have sold regardless if the vanilla ones had more than one channel or not.

Perhaps I'm the only one who has the sour taste in their mouth knowing they took a notably requested feature and put it exclusively behind a paywall after having just paid for it.Hopefully an alternative can be addressed in the future for this, but I don't hold too much hope.

I share your pain. It was obviously done to make gem store skins more appealing.....

@Malediktus.9250 said:Also 1600 gems for retextures seems too much to me. Basically 2/3 of the expansion price.

Same thing really with gliders at HoT release. It wasn't until a year or two later where gliders really got interesting.

Similar to Gliders...They'll start with a legendary mount skin in PvP, Year of the Descendance:

• Have to play all professions 100 ranked games each and pre-reqs still won't match up
  • Specializations don't count. Only counting core profession.
  • Can get it just by AFK'ing
  • Won't make PvP any better as it will just encourage inexperienced profession play

Then Fractals will get a Legendary Mount, Ad Mountinum.

Then WvW will get a Legendary Mount.

Then in about 2 years, you'll get to ride a Modrem Raptor that looks crazy good. Then right before the next expansion: A Nyan-cat Jackal -- Visual clutter galore!

@LUST.7241 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:Also 1600 gems for retextures seems too much to me. Basically 2/3 of the expansion price.

Same thing really with gliders at HoT release. It wasn't until a year or two later where gliders really got interesting.

Gliders are at a fairly reasonable price (well they would be if the associated backpacks were dyable).Mounts? Not so mutch.

@ROMANG.1903 said:

@LUST.7241 said:

Gliders are at a fairly reasonable price (well they would be if the associated backpacks were dyable).Mounts? Not so mutch.

But the kicker here is, when you buy it glider it only applies when you're gliding and you generally only get a single skin. We're getting five skins for something that isn't active /only/ when we're falling.

While the price may be a little high, it totally makes sense to me that the dye/look packs for mounts would be a big step up from vanilla skins.They need to make money, this is a great way to do it in a way that has no effect on gameplay and keeps this game from being pay to win.They need to fund the next season of living story and our continued non-subscription play.

@Erron.5327 said:While the price may be a little high, it totally makes sense to me that the dye/look packs for mounts would be a big step up from vanilla skins.They need to make money, this is a great way to do it in a way that has no effect on gameplay and keeps this game from being pay to win.They need to fund the next season of living story and our continued non-subscription play.

Yeah, somehow people don't seem to understand that can't hold 1/2 years of paying salaries + servers with a $30 extension.

@Erron.5327 said:While the price may be a little high, it totally makes sense to me that the dye/look packs for mounts would be a big step up from vanilla skins.They need to make money, this is a great way to do it in a way that has no effect on gameplay and keeps this game from being pay to win.They need to fund the next season of living story and our continued non-subscription play.

They won't get funds if people start getting tired of their bullshit and stop buying.

It's 320 gems per skin, which is okay from a value perspective, but I'm not shelling out $20 for some goofy theme pack.

And I honestly don't mind that the base mounts have more subtle coloring options. I'm glad to see the new skins have more options, and I look forward to future skins....that are sold individually, ANet. :neutral:

Like someone on reddit said, completely optional cosmetic stuff is what pays for this game, and Anet should definitely monetize it. They have to put price tags on the most asked cosmetic features to pay for salaries and content, and people need to tone down their whining.

You want cool-looking mounts with more dye channels? You pay. Simple as that.

Games like GW2 can't run with the income they make from box sales alone. That's a fact.

Gamers won't tolerate to play a game that has a "pay to win" business model. That's a fact.

The compromise that keeps GW2 takes a "Pay to be Fancy" vs a "Pay to Win" approach. This keeps the servers running and the devs paid while preventing gamers who pay extra in the gemstore from spoiling the experience for players who prefer to not invest in gems.

@Hevoskuuri.3891 said:Like someone on reddit said, completely optional cosmetic stuff is what pays for this game, and Anet should definitely monetize it. They have to put price tags on the most asked cosmetic features to pay for salaries and content, and people need to tone down their whining.

You want cool-looking mounts with more dye channels? You pay. Simple as that.

Pretty much this.

Since long before mounts were announced as part of PoF, long before PoF was announced, long before HoT...since before the game launched, players have been asking for mount options in the gemstore. The arguments for mounts included the point that their presence in game would give ANet a highly desirable item to put in the gemstore in order to fund the game.

This sort of thing is exactly what I would prefer in the gemstore. Purely cosmetic, ultimately ignorable (if I so choose), easy (hopefully) to produce. I want it to be easy to produce for the price point so that it doesnt consume too much in the way of dev resources. I want the gemstore team to be able to produce other things as well.

No a la carte option for gem shop mounts, no extra dye channels on gorgeous base skins...

People are going to buy cosmetics regardless of if you give us more dye channels on base skins. I want to be able to dye my griffons wings. i also already paid 250g for that thing. it's a "Prestige" item that has no corresponding "Prestige" dye channels on it.

I really hope that one day this stuff can be implemented in the best way possible for the consumer on the day of their release as opposed to the consumer having to point out the obvious that we want this stuff without having to ask. After 5 years of this you should know how we want it. It's disappointing.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:It’s like the first glider you get with the HoT. If you remember that only had one dye channel and it didn’t even dye the whole glider, just half of each wing. When I saw the vanilla mount only had one dye channel I immediately assumed that gem store skins would have more.

I understand that. But the Vanilla Glider was very ugly in my opinion, whereas the Vanilla Mounts are beautiful. I would be happy buying an additional dye channel for them.

Granted, I still want my armored raptor, but that's in the future. :p

I don't mind spending money on cosmetics that I like but to artificially limit what we already payed for (normal mounts) just to incentivize purchasing the new skins is pretty lame. How about the quality of the product be the only factor in motivating spending? Oh I forgot it's the age of AAA gaming..

Archived