[Poll] Weapon for the next Engineer Elite Specialization

Sodeni.6041

@Lynx.9058 said:Both of our current elite specs are melee (Scrapper with hammer and holosmith with sword). I'd like to see the new elite spec a little more ranged focused, and I do like the idea going around of it being a plague doctor/alchemist type of spec with a heavy focus on condition damage/poisons.

Not sure what weapon would fit that. A bow, long or short, could be used to shoot syringe arrows or lob potion arrows onto the field.

I voted for torch though, since I think it'd be fun doing a pistol + torch combo, especially if the torch improved upon the condition damage focus of the pistol mainhand.

I see where you are coming from, the only reason why I personally don't like the idea of a torch is that a torch on a condition damage focused spec would most likely need to deal alot of damage through burning.Which our offhand pistol already does. It holds our best condition damage skill, which, funnily enough, is called blowtorch.

Personally, I would like to see torch introduced as a core weapon (if we just could get more core weapons... 3 to chose from are so few....) and make it a power based offhand with a power damage scaling ticking fire field. Since all torches on classes are condition based currently, I think it would be fine to have a power focused one. Would also give holosmith a power offhand weapon to match with sword. But we would need another power mainhand weapon for core engineer then...

@Kodama.6453 said:

@Lynx.9058 said:Both of our current elite specs are melee (Scrapper with hammer and holosmith with sword). I'd like to see the new elite spec a little more ranged focused, and I do like the idea going around of it being a plague doctor/alchemist type of spec with a heavy focus on condition damage/poisons.

Not sure what weapon would fit that. A bow, long or short, could be used to shoot syringe arrows or lob potion arrows onto the field.

I voted for torch though, since I think it'd be fun doing a pistol + torch combo, especially if the torch improved upon the condition damage focus of the pistol mainhand.

I see where you are coming from, the only reason why I personally don't like the idea of a torch is that a torch on a condition damage focused spec would most likely need to deal alot of damage through burning.Which our offhand pistol already does. It holds our best condition damage skill, which, funnily enough, is called blowtorch.

Personally, I would like to see torch introduced as a core weapon (if we just could get more core weapons... 3 to chose from are so few....) and make it a power based offhand with a power damage scaling ticking fire field. Since all torches on classes are condition based currently, I think it would be fine to have a power focused one. Would also give holosmith a power offhand weapon to match with sword. But we would need another power mainhand weapon for core engineer then...

What if they made a torch mainhand? That'd be interesting

Longbow : Offensive Boon supportWeathermancer + Alchemist that fights by shooting chemical concoctions into the sky to rain down on the battlefield.Elite Toolbelt becomes a versatile Jetpack to reinforce the aerial superiority theme. Becomes a normal dodge roll in jumping puzzles.Spear becomes usable to provide underwater support.

Composition wise, this spec would cover offensive boons, so you want to pair them with a profession that handles defensive boons + healing.

@Longstride.9716 said:I voted for scepter because I would like a good mainhand Option that fits with the e-spec I would love to see, golemmancer.Staff would be great for that too and torch (welding...) would generally be a good fit for engineer, but one pick --> you have to make a choice.

I don't understand why people want a golemancer.Most likely this will have AI -> terribleAnd our last elite spec (holosmith) has already been Asuran flavored.

What's the appeal in that?

@Kodama.6453 said:

@Longstride.9716 said:I voted for scepter because I would like a good mainhand Option that fits with the e-spec I would love to see, golemmancer.Staff would be great for that too and torch (welding...) would generally be a good fit for engineer, but one pick --> you have to make a choice.

I don't understand why people want a golemancer.Most likely this will have AI -> terribleAnd our last elite spec (holosmith) has already been Asuran flavored.

Well, basically I feel like an engineer should build stuff, because... well, he is an engineer. Core engi has kits and shitty turrets (3 turrets =1.5k dps...). Scrapper and Holo are even worse. They did get some kind of background but it really doesn't feel much (Scrapper)/ at all (Holo) like engineering. Both are just brawlers. Re-word the description and they could fit with any class.Hence: an e-spec that really, visually shows you your engineering skills.

@Longstride.9716 said:

Well, basically I feel like an engineer should build stuff, because... well, he is an engineer. Core engi has kits and kitten turrets (3 turrets =1.5k dps...). Scrapper and Holo are even worse. They did get some kind of background but it really doesn't feel much (Scrapper)/ at all (Holo) like engineering. Both are just brawlers. Re-word the description and they could fit with any class.Hence: an e-spec that really, visually shows you your engineering skills.

I would say that scrapper heavily feels like "building stuff".The gyro class mechanic and the gyro well skills are visually and thematically small mechanical devices you have built.

Holosmith also plays into that, at least in my opinion. All your holographic stuff comes from a device that the holosmith has built, the photon forge.And you even see that photon forge pop up on your left arm every time you are using a holosmith ability!

That's also the reason why I want an alchemy based elite spec next.The mechanical thematic of the engineer already got covered with scrapper.The scifi Asuran tech (which golemancer would be, too) is already covered with holosmith.

What we are still lacking an elite spec for is the alchemical thematic of the engineer. Engineers in this game aren't just about building stuff, but about using chemistry as well. And we don't have an elite spec representing this yet, unlike the other thematics of the engineer.

And especially golemancer would feel redundant for me, since our last elite spec holosmith already looked heavily Asuran flavored.

@Kodama.6453 said:

Well, basically I feel like an engineer should build stuff, because... well, he is an engineer. Core engi has kits and kitten turrets (3 turrets =1.5k dps...). Scrapper and Holo are even worse. They did get some kind of background but it really doesn't feel much (Scrapper)/ at all (Holo) like engineering. Both are just brawlers. Re-word the description and they could fit with any class.Hence: an e-spec that really, visually shows you your engineering skills.

I would say that scrapper heavily feels like "building stuff".The gyro class mechanic and the gyro well skills are visually and thematically small mechanical devices you have built.

Holosmith also plays into that, at least in my opinion. All your holographic stuff comes from a device that the holosmith has built, the photon forge.And you even see that photon forge pop up on your left arm every time you are using a holosmith ability!

That's also the reason why I want an alchemy based elite spec next.The mechanical thematic of the engineer already got covered with scrapper.The scifi Asuran tech (which golemancer would be, too) is already covered with holosmith.

What we are still lacking an elite spec for is the alchemical thematic of the engineer. Engineers in this game aren't just about building stuff, but about using chemistry as well. And we don't have an elite spec representing this yet, unlike the other thematics of the engineer.

And especially golemancer would feel redundant for me, since our last elite spec holosmith already looked heavily Asuran flavored.

Well that's the funny part about "feel" they have to deal with. ;-) I would definitely play engineer, even if they do some alchemical e-spec. However, if it is some kind of mechanical tinker I would really celebrate it. :-)Guess it's just the opposite for you.

Golemancer could be neat but for some reason I think that'll end up being more magical than technical, and probably something we see elementalists get.

Kodama is right in that scrapper focuses on the mechanical/low tech aspect of engineer (and really, thematically, gyros are just mobile turrets/drones), and is very charr themed, with scrappers being a thing in charr society/lore. Holosmith brings in the fancy sci-fi/futuristic feel of Asuran technology.

So what other races could we pull a technological theme from? Norn tend to not like technology much at all, Sylvari might have some kind of plant tech (seed turret?) but nothing that I think would mesh well into the rest of what engineer uses. Since the new expansion is in cantha, I really do think we'll see a human-centric alchemy-based spec. Making poisons and potions via alchemy is, at its core, not much different than 'building' physical gadgets or photonic constructs, it's chemical engineering. I do think it should be a condition spec as well, since both of our current elite specs are power and core condition is haphazard.

I do like the idea that maces could be used as sort of 'potion sticks', but personally I'm not a big fan of the 'endless supply of throwing weapons' effect we get when we use things like axes on ranger. It looks weird and breaks immersion IMO to throw your weapon and suddenly have another one in hand like nothing happened.

Scepter would be interesting, but being a largely magic-based weapon I dont think it fits engineer very well. Staff is kind of in the same boat, because if we want ranged attacks (or semi-ranged attacks) that means some kind of magic or lasers being shot out of the staff, and a jaffa stick wouldnt really fit with an alchemical theme lol.

I still think I'm gonna go with torch, but it should be a main hand torch, or possibly one handed so we can use it in either main or off hand setups. We have very few choices for main hand weapons (only pistol with core, or sword with holosmith). The torch is a condition offhand for most other professions that use it as well.

Here's the real reason though: Burning chemicals. A big part of chemical science/alchemy has always been that colored flame effect you get when burning certain things. You burn copper sulfate and the flame turns green, copper chloride and the flame turns blue, lithium chloride gives you red. This could be an interesting effect for the torch as an alchemical weapon, creating different colored bursts of fire that have appropriate effects. Some examples/ideas:

Torch 1 (autoattack): Swipe left / swipe right / ground slam with the torch (no color change, regular fire). Left/right swipes have a medium range, similar to pistol, where you're throwing crescent-like blasts of flame off of the torch at an enemy. Third (ground slam) in the chain sends a line of fire along the ground and creates an aoe at your target. These attacks all inflict standard burning.

Torch 2: Noxious Smoke. Spray a chemical through your torch that forms a poison smoke cloud at the target area (ground target aoe, 900 range). Enemies in the cloud are poisoned, with the effect stacking intensity the longer they remain in the cloud. 6s cloud duration, 6 pulses.

Torch 3: Acrid Flames. Spray a chemical through your torch that forms an acidic cloud at the target area (ground target aoe, 900 range). Enemies in the cloud are afflicted with torment, stacking with intensity the longer they remain within the cloud. 6s cloud duration, 6 pulses.

Torch 4: Dragonbreath. Drink a concoction and spit it across your torch, creating waves of fire that knock back and burn enemies. Short channel duration (3 seconds?), 300 range, cone aoe.

Torch 5: Smokescreen. Spin around and release a chemical through your torch that creates a thick field of smoke at your location. The smoke cloud blocks incoming projectiles, grants temporary stealth to allies within the field, and blinds enemies within the field. 300 radius, 6 second duration.

With it being a main or offhand weapon, we can use it either defensively (4 and 5 giving a knockback/defense field) in place of a typical shield, or offensively with a pistol in the offhand providing blowtorch for more condition damage. Torch 3 adds torment as a new condition option which engineers currently do not have access to.

@Lynx.9058 said:Golemancer could be neat but for some reason I think that'll end up being more magical than technical, and probably something we see elementalists get.

Kodama is right in that scrapper focuses on the mechanical/low tech aspect of engineer (and really, thematically, gyros are just mobile turrets/drones), and is very charr themed, with scrappers being a thing in charr society/lore. Holosmith brings in the fancy sci-fi/futuristic feel of Asuran technology.

So what other races could we pull a technological theme from? Norn tend to not like technology much at all, Sylvari might have some kind of plant tech (seed turret?) but nothing that I think would mesh well into the rest of what engineer uses. Since the new expansion is in cantha, I really do think we'll see a human-centric alchemy-based spec. Making poisons and potions via alchemy is, at its core, not much different than 'building' physical gadgets or photonic constructs, it's chemical engineering. I do think it should be a condition spec as well, since both of our current elite specs are power and core condition is haphazard.

I do like the idea that maces could be used as sort of 'potion sticks', but personally I'm not a big fan of the 'endless supply of throwing weapons' effect we get when we use things like axes on ranger. It looks weird and breaks immersion IMO to throw your weapon and suddenly have another one in hand like nothing happened.

Scepter would be interesting, but being a largely magic-based weapon I dont think it fits engineer very well. Staff is kind of in the same boat, because if we want ranged attacks (or semi-ranged attacks) that means some kind of magic or lasers being shot out of the staff, and a jaffa stick wouldnt really fit with an alchemical theme lol.

I still think I'm gonna go with torch, but it should be a main hand torch, or possibly one handed so we can use it in either main or off hand setups. We have very few choices for main hand weapons (only pistol with core, or sword with holosmith). The torch is a condition offhand for most other professions that use it as well.

Here's the real reason though: Burning chemicals. A big part of chemical science/alchemy has always been that colored flame effect you get when burning certain things. You burn copper sulfate and the flame turns green, copper chloride and the flame turns blue, lithium chloride gives you red. This could be an interesting effect for the torch as an alchemical weapon, creating different colored bursts of fire that have appropriate effects. Some examples/ideas:

Torch 1 (autoattack): Swipe left / swipe right / ground slam with the torch (no color change, regular fire). Left/right swipes have a medium range, similar to pistol, where you're throwing crescent-like blasts of flame off of the torch at an enemy. Third (ground slam) in the chain sends a line of fire along the ground and creates an aoe at your target. These attacks all inflict standard burning.

Torch 2: Noxious Smoke. Spray a chemical through your torch that forms a poison smoke cloud at the target area (ground target aoe, 900 range). Enemies in the cloud are poisoned, with the effect stacking intensity the longer they remain in the cloud. 6s cloud duration, 6 pulses.

Torch 3: Acrid Flames. Spray a chemical through your torch that forms an acidic cloud at the target area (ground target aoe, 900 range). Enemies in the cloud are afflicted with torment, stacking with intensity the longer they remain within the cloud. 6s cloud duration, 6 pulses.

Torch 4: Dragonbreath. Drink a concoction and spit it across your torch, creating waves of fire that knock back and burn enemies. Short channel duration (3 seconds?), 300 range, cone aoe.

Torch 5: Smokescreen. Spin around and release a chemical through your torch that creates a thick field of smoke at your location. The smoke cloud blocks incoming projectiles, grants temporary stealth to allies within the field, and blinds enemies within the field. 300 radius, 6 second duration.

With it being a main or offhand weapon, we can use it either defensively (4 and 5 giving a knockback/defense field) in place of a typical shield, or offensively with a pistol in the offhand providing blowtorch for more condition damage. Torch 3 adds torment as a new condition option which engineers currently do not have access to.

The problem is that I don't see Anet changing the already established system by giving us exclusively offhand weapons in the mainhand.It is ingrained in the system, offhand weapons are overall cheaper on all vendors compared to mainhand weapons, for example.

Hence why I tend to either advocate for axe, mace or dagger as our new weapon choices.Personally, I don't have a problem with throwing weapons and having them back in hand like ranger's axe. It is also already there for engineer. We have the grenade kit, which enables us to throw endless grenades, even if the bundle we hold in hand definitely wouldn't allow to do that.

About the thematic: I think an alchemical elite spec could also get some influence from Sylvari.One of the best alchemists in GW2 are the Hylek, thanks to their natural resistance to poisons they are able to experiment on themselves to study the effects of different poisons and chemicals.

Sylvari are plant people, they might also have some resistance against poisons, especially plant based ones.And a bio-engineering elite spec could also fit really well with them thematically.I could definitely envision Canach evolving into the plague doctor elite spec, using poison gases, burning chemicals, different diseases and alot of other stuff.In the lore, he even already used poison mines against us when we fought him in his cave.

There is one othere type of Elite Spec I hope to see for Engineer but I feel it maybe too generic design wise being a Wrist Launcher Elite Spec that uses the Greatsword as a Main Weapon which changes the Engineer F1 to F5 skill into Wrist Launcher skills. The skills being used in the Wrist Launcher can be determined by which Kit the player choose to sacrifice to determine the Wrist Launcher skills such as sacrificing the Grenade Kit will give it grenade launcher skills, sacrifice the Elite Mortar Kit will turn it into Rocket skills, Flamethrower will give it flame skills, sacrifice the Bomb kit will have the wrist launcher skills being about placing certain types of landmines that will explode when enemies are nearby or when players choose to manually detonate them, and etc.

These skills will be different from the kit skills but they are designed to act as a secondary set of weapon skills that players use with their Main weapon. If they want to go a extra mile then they can also have the Kit sacrificed also change the Main Weapon skills as well to have it match the function of the chosen Kit sacrificed. Such as the Pistol condition damage style skills can become a new Power based skills if Mortor Kit, Flamethrower, or Tool kit is chosen to be sacrificed while Rifle skills can become new condition damage skills if Grenade or Bomb kit is chosen.

Thus the Elite spec becomes a Elite spec that focused on combining new Main Weapon skills and the Wrist Launcher skills for direct combat by using the Engineer's talent of deconstructing the kits and using the parts from that kit to modify their Wrist Launcher and Main Weapon for either Range, Melee, Tanking, Support/Healing, Condition, and/or Power damage. Giving the player options of choosing what type of role (Healer/support, DPS, or Tank) and combat style (Condition/Power and Ranged/Melee) they want to focus on through the Kit they have chosen to sacrifice

@EdwinLi.1284 said:There is one othere type of Elite Spec I hope to see for Engineer but I feel it maybe too generic design wise being a Wrist Launcher Elite Spec that uses the Greatsword as a Main Weapon which changes the Engineer F1 to F5 skill into Wrist Launcher skills. The skills being used in the Wrist Launcher can be determined by which Kit the player choose to sacrifice to determine the Wrist Launcher skills such as sacrificing the Grenade Kit will give it grenade launcher skills, sacrifice the Elite Mortar Kit will turn it into Rocket skills, Flamethrower will give it flame skills, sacrifice the Bomb kit will have the wrist launcher skills being about placing certain types of landmines that will explode when enemies are nearby or when players choose to manually detonate them, and etc.

These skills will be different from the kit skills but they are designed to act as a secondary set of weapon skills that players use with their Main weapon. If they want to go a extra mile then they can also have the Kit sacrificed also change the Main Weapon skills as well to have it match the function of the chosen Kit sacrificed. Such as the Pistol condition damage style skills can become a new Power based skills if Mortor Kit, Flamethrower, or Tool kit is chosen to be sacrificed while Rifle skills can become new condition damage skills if Grenade or Bomb kit is chosen.

Thus the Elite spec becomes a Elite spec that focused on combining new Main Weapon skills and the Wrist Launcher skills for direct combat by using the Engineer's talent of deconstructing the kits and using the parts from that kit to modify their Wrist Launcher and Main Weapon for either Range, Melee, Tanking, Support/Healing, Condition, and/or Power damage. Giving the player options of choosing what type of role (Healer/support, DPS, or Tank) and combat style (Condition/Power and Ranged/Melee) they want to focus on through the Kit they have chosen to sacrifice

I don't think the idea is too generic, but problematic to implement in the game.How do you determine which kit you are sacrificing for your wrist launcher? Seems like it would require some hud changes to make this possible.

Also replacing the toolbelt completely may be a bit much of a trade off.Our toolbelt is an important part of our builds. It holds half of our stunbreak skills (elixir gun, thumper turret, slick shoes) as well as our personal healing skill in one case (med kit).Sacrificing this to get a kit replacement in the toolbelt seems excessive....Like, you are giving up 5 skills (F1-F5) to potentially open up 1 skill slot (heal, utility, elite, depending on the kit you sacrifice) and changing up your weapon skills some.These new skills need to be really powerful to make that trade worth it.

@Kodama.6453 said:

I don't think the idea is too generic, but problematic to implement in the game.How do you determine which kit you are sacrificing for your wrist launcher? Seems like it would require some hud changes to make this possible.

Also replacing the toolbelt completely may be a bit much of a trade off.Our toolbelt is an important part of our builds. It holds half of our stunbreak skills (elixir gun, thumper turret, slick shoes) as well as our personal healing skill in one case (med kit).Sacrificing this to get a kit replacement in the toolbelt seems excessive....Like, you are giving up 5 skills (F1-F5) to potentially open up 1 skill slot (heal, utility, elite, depending on the kit you sacrifice) and changing up your weapon skills some.These new skills need to be really powerful to make that trade worth it.

It is only partly weapon skills and the F1 to F5 skills (Toolbelt skills) when it comes to Elite Spec Designs. Ultility skills and Elite Spec Trait Tree will also factor into the usefulness of a Elite Spec as well. The general aspect of Elite Specs is to introduce optional new gameplay styles next to Core and the other existing Elite Spec that either build on or change the Engineer's gameplay.

For example, a Trait in the Elite Spec tree can turn the Wrsit Launcher skills to also have Stunbreak, extra condition clense on use, or exta damage or buff for using F3 to F5 skills based on which one you picked. However, by default all Wrist Launcher skills for each Kit will naturally always have 1 or 2 Stunbreak skills and 1 or 2 condition cleans skills. Utility skills will also introduce new skills for condition cleansing and stunbreak which should be expect for all new Elite Specs but what they do as extra with their stunbreak is another matter.

However, I only speak about the wrist launcher and main weapon changes in my earlier post because I wanted to focus on the basics on where the Elite Spec would go into designing first being the Mechanic and Main weapon chosen for the Elite Spec. I would have gone into Utlity, Trait Skills, and each individual skill set for Wrist Luncher per kit and new skills based on each kit for the Main Weapon but that post would have been far too large since that would mean covering the entire Trait tree, every Main Weapon's new skills (Pistols, rifle, shield, and Greatsword) with Wrist Launcher skills based on each Kit design (basically 7 new sets of skills per Main Weapon depending on which kit is sacrificed and 7 different set of skills for Wrist Launcher), what Utility skills will be the focus for this elite spec (the 3rd most important part of the Elite Spec design), and theme based on what lore it may have.

Also, at this point there is not much we can discuss since by now we can expect all Elite Specs are already finished for Cantha Expansion, if we get new Elite Specs for Cantha, and are just waiting to be announced.

@EdwinLi.1284

True, they might have locked in a direction for the specs already. But it is still fun to make theories about what they might have in store for us!

I personally believe that the elite spec will have alot of interaction with the toolbelt, but in a different way.We might see an elite spec that has focus on spamming the toolbelt skills alot. Like getting a F5 key like photon forge, but instead of replacing our weapon skills it will give us a new set of toolbelt skills temporarily.

I think our next elite spec should definitely be a support spec like scourge or druid, with some conditions on the side.Found it quite interesting that Anet made changes recently to the trait soothing detonations (that still needs a name change.... it's not about detonations anymore), letting us heal in an area around us for casting toolbelt skills. Having a support elite spec that gives us additional toolbelt skills to squeeze out more healing from that trait would be an interesting interaction.

@Kodama.6453 said:@EdwinLi.1284

True, they might have locked in a direction for the specs already. But it is still fun to make theories about what they might have in store for us!

I personally believe that the elite spec will have alot of interaction with the toolbelt, but in a different way.We might see an elite spec that has focus on spamming the toolbelt skills alot. Like getting a F5 key like photon forge, but instead of replacing our weapon skills it will give us a new set of toolbelt skills temporarily.

I think our next elite spec should definitely be a support spec like scourge or druid, with some conditions on the side.Found it quite interesting that Anet made changes recently to the trait soothing detonations (that still needs a name change.... it's not about detonations anymore), letting us heal in an area around us for casting toolbelt skills. Having a support elite spec that gives us additional toolbelt skills to squeeze out more healing from that trait would be an interesting interaction.

If that change maybe a hit to the next Elite Spec then I suspect it may relate to being a very toolbelt focused Elite Spec.

We currently have Scrapper for Tanking with Drone utility skills designed to support the scrapper and Holosmith for pure power DPS focusing on the Photon Forge (basically a customizable kit due to the trait tree) with utility skills focused on being more effective if players can manage their heat properly.

@Sodeni.6041 said:I would love to get staff as a weapon together with a support elite spec, golemancer maybe?

YES! I've been hoping for a Golemancer spec since I made my first Asura! Each expansion comes out and I'm disappointed to see it hasn't been done yet. I mean, imagine it. They could have you do a quest line, where you have to get the things to make whichever engineered companion you want, and maybe use it like a ranger would... where you could give it commands and each thing would have a unique skill. Maybe a companion that could double as a mount for Engineers only could also be neat.

Because let's face it, as it is now. Engi (in my opinion) is one of the most disappointing classes in the game. I like how they can equip weapon kits, and have utility skills and such, but it's still feeling very limited, that and their #s in their traits.... are garbage. I built in heals, and mines for EVERYTHING, critical hits, dodges, utility belt skills, and my guardian still struggles horribly in PvE. The turrets are not a viable idea. With the horrendous cooldown times, and the fact they don't move with you as you go (which would make the cooldown justified) plus their damage isn't really that good, they have low HP. When you pick up the turret, it doesn't improve the cooldown time. Also, they don't have a fun kit. I'd like to see them get the mace and have like two modes on it, ranged/melee. Because I know when I start working with stuff and people are interrupting me from whatever project I'm on, I'd love to throw a hammer at their face.

@Frozen.7245 said:YES! I've been hoping for a Golemancer spec since I made my first Asura! Each expansion comes out and I'm disappointed to see it hasn't been done yet. I mean, imagine it. They could have you do a quest line, where you have to get the things to make whichever engineered companion you want, and maybe use it like a ranger would... where you could give it commands and each thing would have a unique skill. Maybe a companion that could double as a mount for Engineers only could also be neat.

I personally think that golemancer would be a gigantic disappointment, for several reasons.

The last elite spec, holosmith, was already heavily Asuran flavored, so I don't see a reason why they should give us another Asuran themed elite spec again.

Golemancers are also something we already know and therefore it is not really new and exciting for me. I faced tons of golemancers as enemies already, making me one would not get me hyped at all since I would feel like Anet is just throwing old stuff at me I have known for ages already.

It would also rely on AI, which I think engineer definitely doesn't need more of. We have turrets, which, as you mentioned, are a let down and Anet also already tried to give us another AI skill type with gyros, which failed horribly to the point that they finally listened to the players after years and reworked the gyros into wells.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@Frozen.7245 said:YES! I've been hoping for a Golemancer spec since I made my first Asura! Each expansion comes out and I'm disappointed to see it hasn't been done yet. I mean, imagine it. They could have you do a quest line, where you have to get the things to make whichever engineered companion you want, and maybe use it like a ranger would... where you could give it commands and each thing would have a unique skill. Maybe a companion that could double as a mount for Engineers only could also be neat.

I personally think that golemancer would be a gigantic disappointment, for several reasons.

The last elite spec, holosmith, was already heavily Asuran flavored, so I don't see a reason why they should give us another Asuran themed elite spec again.

It's asuran in a very, very small part, holosmithing is a zephyrite thing, and wielded as weapons by engineers. Beyond that, there's indeed zero reason, or incentive for Golemancer to be a thing. The underwhelming fantasy of a watered down MM Necromancer and the specs being expansion lore-based rule it out outright.