May 11th, 2021 patch. Guardian feedback.

Dib.4612

Some quick takeaways I had from playing fractals with the new patch. 
1. Videogames are more than just quick and effective. The mantras not having a preperation ruins the entire flavor of the skill. Removes nicely made animation and effects as well as nicely made skill icons from the game. It just removes the nice feel the mantras had. 
2. Mantras not having a third big charge removes the entire skill and thought from mantras and makes it brainless spam to upkeep boons. 

3. Replacing retaliation with resolution is just weird. Skills that had retaliation were part of offensive weapons and traits, and it's now a defensive boon. It just doesn't quite work. 
4. Making resistance  resist movement impairing conditions only completely destroys any skill that has resistance (Tome of Courage skill 4). To amend this they could at least have thought of replacing resistance with resolution instead. And instead of retribution perhaps some kind of offensive boon like fury or might.   

In short I feel like the patch wasn't thought out or tested very well. I hope there'll be another patch soon after reverting some of these changes and amending others. If this does not occur then I'm not very hopeful for GW2 balance. 

• Like 7

Yeah, I hadn't even gone in with my FB, just my alt account with a core guardian and the insane uptime i had with Reso, while fun in a meme kinda way, was also just nuts.  I could go full glass or condi and basically sit in condi dmg and cleans what little hit me.  I can't wait for the endless complaints about how guards eat condi dmg for breakfast.

Just agree for mantras : The lack of a third charge feels like a simple skill with ammos...

Concerning resolution, I enjoy this change. As Protection that can mitigate direct damage, we now have a buff that can mitigate conditions. In WvW this is a great improvement.

12 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

No idea why the icons for unprepared mantras was used instead of the first charge. Now it makes me uneasy when I see everything on the bar with those icons.

This is the first thing I noticed and just made me cringe a huge amount.

15 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

No idea why the icons for unprepared mantras was used instead of the first charge. Now it makes me uneasy when I see everything on the bar with those icons.

Especially because the uncharged icons all look mostly the same versus the charged ones. They "might" be planning to use the icons for something later as they are sets.

Most people never used the final charge. Even if you look at snowcrows rotation or discretize: 

https://discretize.eu/builds/guardian/power-firebrand
https://discretize.eu/builds/guardian/condi-firebrand

Use Invalid Skill 41475 (Restoring Reprieve) and Invalid Skill 42983 (Potent Haste) but leave one charge left (unless the fight is close to being over

https://snowcrows.com/raids/builds/guardian/firebrand/condition quickness/

Use Mantra of Solace once at the start and then use it everytime you gain a charge.

Use Mantra of Potence twice at the start and then use it everytime you gain a charge.

Unlike mesmer mantras where you get a bonus for charging (through Restorative Mantras or the charging itself granting boons), there was no reason to play firebrand with mantras uncharged.

I love these new changes, you can no longer just sit there and just let retaliation do the dps for you. Now it's fast paced action, and now you have to git gud. Rofl I already made kids cry after I end up one shooting them with rifle warrior, all the angry tantrum whispers are flooding after that. 🤣

I love the new changes for firebrand, no more mantra preparation while my whole team rushes fractal at the beginning and Mai Trin has become even easier to deal with.

Thank you very much Anet 🙂

My only concern though is my dps as longbow Dragonhunter which is still low, probably the worst in the game now that scourge necro has been buffed and it's no longer bottom tier. The latest Snowcrows benchmark after patch hit 33k, an average player would hit much less than that, even if I get close to my benchmark it wouldn't be enough to compete with the other professions.

Edited by Touchme.1097
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1