Just recently got into WvW and loving it - questions

Loving the game mode. So happy the extra rewards week came around to finally give me a push to try it - I can definitely say I'll be spending most of my time there when I can. I have some questions about the game mode and from reading online I'm having some issues interpreting what would be the correct answer.

- How are Mastery Points earned in WvW? Are these the same thing as "World Ability Points" (so you obtain them by ranking up)? I obtained 3 points the other day (unlocked Gliding, yay) and I wasn't doing anything special to get these points - just snapping necks and cashing checks.

- Does reward track progress degrade/go backwards? I want to unlock the Warclaw ASAP - I see it as an essential tool for WvW if I don't want to fall behind groups or constantly get run up on by enemies. I have pretty limited playtime so any loss of progress would be dramatic for me....I'm happy to go at it solo in times I can't find a group, but if progress degrades that's a deterrent because I know I won't get a lot done by myself.

- Common terms used in WvW. I've been referring to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World#Common_Terms_and_Abbreviations to try and understand everything people are saying (if it's not common sense, anyway) but I feel like this list is incomplete in comparison to some terms that have flown by me.

- Anything else you think a new WvW player may not know but should. I am eager to play catch up.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 7

1. Mastery points are for ranking up (experience bar at the bottom of the screen).
  2. Reward track doesn't go backwards, but partypants (participation) does. Don't worry, you won't lose anything. When you start doing things in WvW you will get participation back (there is a bar on top of your map that shows it).
  3. If there are terms you don't understand, just ask in /t or /m.
Edited by Svarty.8019
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Svarty.8019 said:
  1. Mastery points are for ranking up (experience bar at the bottom of the screen).
  2. Reward track doesn't go backwards, but partypants (participation) does. Don't worry, you won't lose anything. When you start doing things in WvW you will get participation back (there is a bar on top of your map that shows it).
  3. If there are terms you don't understand, just ask in /t or /m.

Awesome, thanks so much for the answers. Happy that my understanding of the mastery system was correct and am thrilled that reward track does not go backwards.

You have XP in PvE mode, and you have WxP for WvW mode.  So you gain WxP from enemy kills, capturing Camps, Towers, Garrisons/Keeps, and completing certain map Events.  So your gaining WxP and when that maxes, you gain a Rank.  And you gain Mastery points as you rank up.  Get so many points and you spend it in WvW Attributes, like Siege use, or gliding, or Warclaw Mount.  Never forget to be spending them points.  The bonuses do help you, and by helping yourself, your also helping your team.  And the Reward tracks are very very helpful. Especially if you want to gear up with exotic armor, or get certain needed crafting material.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pacificterror.7805 said:

Awesome, thanks so much for the answers. Happy that my understanding of the mastery system was correct and am thrilled that reward track does not go backwards.

The mastery/pip point bar doesn’t go backwards either unless you are standing around in wvw doing nothing.  When you leave wvw you come back exactly where you left it.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Caedmon.6798 said:

Rewards are the reason you try out WvW ? Okidoki.

I mentioned I want Warclaw ASAP so I have 1 less disadvantage going for me....so yeah I was worried about that reward track losing progress 😉 I couldn't care less about future reward tracks

Thanks for your responses everybody, big help.

Edited by Pacificterror.7805
Acknowledging everyone else
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

https://gw2mists.com/builds/necromancer

^ See above site that has Arenanet partner status
I'm one of the few people editing the WvW section that you linked off the wiki so you're better off looking at gw2mists. Wiki only has builds in user pages because it is not maintainable in any fashion and isn't documentation.

Thanks, I'll bookmark that site. I was previously getting all my build info from metabattle.com

13 hours ago, Pacificterror.7805 said:

Loving the game mode. So happy the extra rewards week came around to finally give me a push to try it - I can definitely say I'll be spending most of my time there when I can. I have some questions about the game mode and from reading online I'm having some issues interpreting what would be the correct answer.

- How are Mastery Points earned in WvW? Are these the same thing as "World Ability Points" (so you obtain them by ranking up)? I obtained 3 points the other day (unlocked Gliding, yay) and I wasn't doing anything special to get these points - just snapping necks and cashing checks.

- Does reward track progress degrade/go backwards? I want to unlock the Warclaw ASAP - I see it as an essential tool for WvW if I don't want to fall behind groups or constantly get run up on by enemies. I have pretty limited playtime so any loss of progress would be dramatic for me....I'm happy to go at it solo in times I can't find a group, but if progress degrades that's a deterrent because I know I won't get a lot done by myself.

- Common terms used in WvW. I've been referring to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World#Common_Terms_and_Abbreviations to try and understand everything people are saying (if it's not common sense, anyway) but I feel like this list is incomplete in comparison to some terms that have flown by me.

- Anything else you think a new WvW player may not know but should. I am eager to play catch up.

Thanks in advance.

For someone who is new trying to rank up, any time you pass an enemy structure, kill a guard, you will get credit for the event the contested structure has. Also, always keep supply on you, but try and get from camps and not structures unless they are close to max supply, if you have not figured out already, you will get a better feeling of when taking supply is fine and when it might hurt your team. However keeping supply on you is another way to keep up participation, say you own SMC, which is always contested, grab some supply from a camp and put it into a wall or gate, it will give you credit for the event, you don't need to fully repair, just enough supply that you get XP for the repair and you will get credit for defending.

Same thing with WvW daily, camps or keep capture etc etc, you don't actually need to be there for the credit, just kill a NPC in the camp or keep and if it's capped later you will get credit.

• Like 2

Welcome!

If you are looking to rank up quickly then look into zerg builds and join a zerg. Otherwise if you roam, tag everything that you pass. Even tag other players from the other servers even if you know you'll lose the fight (they'll die eventually and you'll get credit).

Warclaw, gliding, ram, catapult, and supply masteries are the ones that you will find the most useful overall.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 5:55 AM, Some Call Me Tim.2319 said:

Hey, if rewards brings them in and the mode keeps them in then that’s great. 

No, rewards are the reason they all blob up more,especially new people. It wont create more different fights or add roamers/scouts that actually care for a server they play on. If new people join in for rewards the first thing they do is add to the 40 man blob on the map. I know lots of you people enjoy this gameplay where you can have one hand in your doritos bag while playing with your other hand but ive seen lots of proper players leave this game already with the add of mounts and added sustain/no more dmg on cc changes etc etc while buffing up sustain,never touching share sustain or reflect shares or boon shares or downed state. Its literally turning into a clown fiesta of people holding hands with all the sustain in the world while still able to rely on downed state,its all..a...joke.

And if these people only join for rewards they are the first ones to switch to another server when shtf. But,thats probaby how anet likes it anyway.

Edited by Caedmon.6798

It's been 9 years, I think we've run out of people who join wvw to "just pvp" at this point.

Cut the people some slack, they tried it, they enjoyed it. I wouldn't rag on new players for wanting rewards, we have 9 year veterans doing the same thing in running in blobs, camping out keeps, to run over pugs for their "bags", not even for a challenge, and couldn't be bother to fight anywhere else cause "pips".

As for OP, welcome to wvw.

As already stated wxp levels is your xp/mastery levels.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_Experience#WXP_upgrades

I would work on Warclaw mastery 3 for two stamina bars, War gliding 1(not as useful/needed since mounts), Provisions master 4 for autoloot, Siege bunker 5, and whatever else you feel like after depending on your playstyle, but leave most siege masteries to last.

You have the option to reset the mastery trees, so incase you want to do something like get provision master 6 which unlocks the vendor stuff for HoT and PoF stuff, buy whatever you need then reset again to leave that out as you don't need it up all the time, up until you complete the trees anyways which is 1226 points.

You don't lose regular reward track progress, but you can lose participation which determines how much points goes into the track every 5 mins, and whether you qualify for pips into the skirmish reward track, which also resets every week on friday match reset.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skirmish_reward_track If you're active and killing and capping stuff it won't be a problem to maintain participation.

Happy hunting.

Edited by XenesisII.1540
  • Thanks 1