Pulls

Svarty.8019

• 3 months later...

I get yoinked a lot these days and it's not even from the rare creature mesmers lol, dragonhunters, thieves, engs, reapers, they all running pulls these days and probably get worse with new specs probably have one or two in there too. The amount of cc in the game is getting quite annoying.

Also... lol fun, they stopped designing combat for fun a very long time ago, now it's stack boons or stack annoyances, keep stacking more of whatever side needs it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

I get yoinked a lot these days and it's not even from the rare creature mesmers lol, dragonhunters, thieves, engs, reapers, they all running pulls these days and probably get worse with new specs probably have one or two in there too. The amount of cc in the game is getting quite annoying.

Also... lol fun, they stopped designing combat for fun a very long time ago, now it's stack boons or stack annoyances, keep stacking more of whatever side needs it.

My Control doesn't do a lot of damage and is often the only way to contest a tight guild group wrecking everything. I see pulls (or hear them, panning camera fast to look around a lot should involve listening also, often audio only gets picked up at certain angles from your characters perspective) coming a lot but I do notice a lot of people not watching for stuff that's not happening on front lines or right in front of them and that will feel like there are no tells. Without enough Control there would be two or three large balls of light pushing against each other until bad pathing gets one or two key people killed. 

Those pulls are also a gamble when the damage or effect can be reflected. My own Scorpion Wire gives me a one way ticket to the enemy zerg a lot. Sometime I do it on purpose when I know there's a reflect waiting on me to get up close real quick so I can drop a Pitfall and bounce, although I wish Scorpion Wire were faster sometimes speaking of tells, but then I guess up close for the interrupt would be too strong.

Perspective I guess.

Edited by kash.9213
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

The amount of cc in the game is getting quite annoying.

It hasn't changed? People are just starting to actually use it? 

People complain about boon balls, people learn to beat them with CC, turns out there is a lot of CC and strips in the game...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Zikory.6871 said:

It hasn't changed? People are just starting to actually use it? 

People complain about boon balls, people learn to beat them with CC, turns out there is a lot of CC and strips in the game...

Yes and no. As time has progressed some specs are starting to be played more especially in the roaming scene, whether because of buffs or nerfs, thus certain play styles are being used more. Like dragonhunters and reapers being way more popular these days, thus more pulls are happening because of those two classes, even more warriors are running heavy cc builds these days, and probably because they don't really have a lot of choices in that regard, especially when you need to shut down classes like scrapper support.

The super boon balls are still around, rare sure, but they're around and still require an army of boon strips to tackle, because guess which side has been constantly nerfed. The game pushed for more support, now players are pushed to use more cc, guess what happens next.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Yes and no. As time has progressed some specs are starting to be played more especially in the roaming scene, whether because of buffs or nerfs, thus certain play styles are being used more. Like dragonhunters and reapers being way more popular these days, thus more pulls are happening because of those two classes, even more warriors are running heavy cc builds these days, and probably because they don't really have a lot of choices in that regard, especially when you need to shut down classes like scrapper support.

The super boon balls are still around, rare sure, but they're around and still require an army of boon strips to tackle, because guess which side has been constantly nerfed. The game pushed for more support, now players are pushed to use more cc, guess what happens next.

You seem to still not get it. If the "game pushed" players to use more CC but didn't add any, it's always been there...

"amount of cc in the game is getting quite annoying" is funny to me because "boon balls" have been using it to kill each other for years. But now its an issue because it makes casual groups "unfun".

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Zikory.6871 said:

You seem to still not get it. If the "game pushed" players to use more CC but didn't add any, it's always been there...

"amount of cc in the game is getting quite annoying" is funny to me because "boon balls" have been using it to kill each other for years. But now its an issue because it makes casual groups "unfun".

I mean I stated an example, if you want to ignore it that's your problem. We agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

The amount of cc in the game is getting quite annoying.

I would squeeze in after "cc", "being used successfully" or something because I think we're all on the same page for the most part.

I think some of it comes from a group of people seeing someone else get a few good pulls from walls or something and that spreads. Some of it might be people trying to make up for damage or compound it from secondary effects. Sometimes a quick Life leech from a Scorpion Wire is what closes it out for me and doesn't drain my Initiative. I think it will continue until Anet decides to rework CC's again, maybe making them more deliberate and clutch, but more powerful in their own right as Control so they wont need so much else baked into one skill. 

On 5/24/2021 at 4:07 PM, Sleepwalker.1398 said:

Weird no one's said anything about Reaper pull enemy off walls.

Just stand close to wall, GS 5 and press jump as the skill casts.

Reaper can't do what some of the other skills are doing.  Most of the pull "issue" is situational awareness, or lack thereof.  That said, I have been pulled from inside a tower to the outside of a tower multiple times, also through walls (not gate).  Klovan seems to be a big offender, as multiple times I have been pulled from the repair spot on the south wall (the spot next to the depot and NOT on the stairs) all the way up and over the wall.  It happens often enough that they should at least look at the skills to make sure they pull from the range they say they do, and are working as intended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

I mean I stated an example, if you want to ignore it that's your problem. We agree to disagree.

Nah, I get what you are saying. And I'm not even disagreeing with you. 

I just thought the quote was funny. Years of people complaining about boonballs, people getting called elitist for suggesting CC and strips, people start using it and now its a problem. 

Nerf pulls, make it harder to break a comp'd group. 

7 hours ago, Zikory.6871 said:

Nah, I get what you are saying. And I'm not even disagreeing with you. 

I just thought the quote was funny. Years of people complaining about boonballs, people getting called elitist for suggesting CC and strips, people start using it and now its a problem. 

Nerf pulls, make it harder to break a comp'd group. 

I brought up cc in roaming side, you brought it up on the boon balling side, there's obviously a difference there.

I never called anyone an elitist for suggesting to run cc and strips, I run a scourge or chrono in zergs, that isn't an issue for me, my issue has always been when groups super stack support so much it makes the boon balling exponentially worse to the point that the builds just play the game for them, there are way more boons flying around than strips.

Nor did I state to nerf pulls, simply stating the amount of cc usage now in roaming is annoying, maybe they should look at what classes get stability again because some classes seem to be getting everything these days. But hey I guess the little guy roaming around can't complain since everyone and their mother is running around in groups anyways, "roaming" is bring your arena group with you, nor do elitist boon ballers care since everything is in their favor these days anyways, carry on. 🙄

5 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

my issue has always been when groups super stack support so much it makes the boon balling exponentially worse to the point that the builds just play the game for them

It is hard to stack support when your own group can't stay on tag, 10 of them overextend or just get instagibbed because their playing some random mishmash of skills with an unfinished equipment build.

Most of these issues could be solved by spending 10 or 20 gold at the black market trader.  But they will keep running their yellow rare gear and never notice all the exotic gear that sells for a pittance on the market. 

They don't know you can buy a crafting rune and 5 globs of ecto to change the stats on your ascended gear.  They don't know what those little infusion slots are or what goes into them.

The game is decently balanced and maybe one day they will play it well.

56 minutes ago, displayname.8315 said:

It is hard to stack support when your own group can't stay on tag, 10 of them overextend or just get instagibbed because their playing some random mishmash of skills with an unfinished equipment build.

Yeah thats why nobody ever does it and all zergs are weak.

Oh wait.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Yeah thats why nobody ever does it and all zergs are weak.

Oh wait.

Not all but most are EoTM quality zergs.  Not all but a lot of guilds are pug level quality.

It's no surprise people call a fight group "unkillable".  It would definitely look that way.  Take that fight group to an arena vs a GvG guild, that GvG guild would look like they are the trolls, the unkillable boonstackers, veil abusers..

3 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

They should add more allied pulls like Necro Shroud #4 (traited) and Ranger's Search and Rescue so we can ping pong players back and forth between life and death.

Bring back unyielding aura.  That way, someone can run around thinking they are alive, and at a moments notice, you can remove the buff killing them.  Ahhh, good times, good times.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

They should add more allied pulls like Necro Shroud #4 (traited) and Ranger's Search and Rescue so we can ping pong players back and forth between life and death.

I'd love to be able to pull my people out of something. With both sides probably at length from target though it would be hard to counter to not spend everything on a soon empty spot. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 3:22 AM, anduriell.6280 said:

Some cheesy pulls need to add something so they are not as cheesy. 

Temporal Curtain and Scorpion Wire  are the worst offenders in this case. Curtain because of the no animation with a 600 radius pull and scopion wire because it does not have any counterplay or visible animation. 

Pulls should follow the design of Chapter 3: Heated Rebuke, Prelude Lash  or Hunter's Verdict, those are well designed pulls. 

Scorpion Wire is the only thing on your list that actually follows normal LOS rules. You can juke it by moving back like 2 feet from the wall.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 4:24 AM, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I usually run with a build that has ZERO sustain and not even I want pulls removed.  In my experience, if you get pulled you (in order from most to least likely):

•  Are standing on a wall, far, FAR too close to the edge
  •  Are running in a straight line
  •  Are standing in the back of a group trying not to be noticed (but they can smell your lack of confidence)
  •  Are being focused because you are a threat

Am standing miles away and get yanked right over the kitten wall!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apart from LOS-ignoring pulls, getting yanked off walls while standing too far out without Stab is like a WvW right of passage for new players.  It shouldn't happen to anyone more than a few times before they learn.

5 hours ago, ASP.8093 said:

Scorpion Wire is the only thing on your list that actually follows normal LOS rules. You can juke it by moving back like 2 feet from the wall.

I equip Scorpion Wire just for those moments my small group is sieging a tower and some complacent wall Rangers, Genade Engis, Scourges, Dragonhunters, or Deadeyes try to free cast too much.  SW is pretty tough to land since it gets LOS'd very easily, is countered by all projectile hate, and has a fairly low travel speed.  But when the target gets pulled to their doom into the mini-blob it's totally worth it.

• Like 2

So OP said pulls but everyone once again goes for temporal curtain. Can we finally just admit many people have a problem with mesmer being remotely viable in WvW?

As for the topic, yeah pulls are kinda annoying, I think the Spellbreaker tether is most anoying for me outside a zerg with spectral graps also being quite annoying as it can be difficult to see till it's too late.

In zergs though if you got pulled either it's a team focusing down people specifically or your guardian is bad/you don't have a guardian, most likely the latter from what I've seen.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

Apart from LOS-ignoring pulls, getting yanked off walls while standing too far out without Stab is like a WvW right of passage for new players.  It shouldn't happen to anyone more than a few times before they learn.

I equip Scorpion Wire just for those moments my small group is sieging a tower and some complacent wall Rangers, Genade Engis, Scourges, Dragonhunters, or Deadeyes try to free cast too much.  SW is pretty tough to land since it gets LOS'd very easily, is countered by all projectile hate, and has a fairly low travel speed.  But when the target gets pulled to their doom into the mini-blob it's totally worth it.

You'd think people would instinctively know to stay off that lip of the wall at least. Once I see that target circle at their feet overlap the side I know that's likely a clean pull. Even then, I have to watch body language and wait for them to focus on someone so I have a chance to connect.

Side note: I'm probably fooling myself, but it feels like just the right subtle pull up (almost like fly fishing) and maybe pivot at whatever angle is feeling more sure (just a hint, almost doing nothing at all) sometimes gets a better connect and sometimes feels like a better arch on their lift off if it does connect. I'm probably just looking dumb for no reason but that's how I cope with a Walmart pull. 

Edited by kash.9213