Warhorn or Shortbow for a Music themed Elite Spec?

Sodeni.6041

Would you prefer a Warhorn or Shortbow for a Music themed Elite Spec?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Warhorn or Shortbow for a Music themed Elite Spec?

• Warhorn
    • Shortbow

There's some "leaks" and rumors going on about a music themed elite spec with a warhorn for the next expansion. So my question is: IF we get a music themed elite spec what weapon would you prefer?

I would really NOT like to get yet another offhand weapon. While warhorn makes sense with a music themed class, it's quite boring to only get 2 skills again.

Mesmer doesn't have access to a two-handed weapon with elite specs yet. So I think it's time for one, preferably a shortbow. Imagine shooting out music notes (like skill 1 on the trident) with "harp-like" shortbow skins and actually getting 5 new weapon skills! 

It would work well and it would be unique, much better than generic warhorns if you ask me.

EDIT:

Since a few of you asked, there's the leaks I am referring to: 

Edited by Sodeni.6041
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah I saw that and tbh not excited if another offhand.

That would mean yet again stuck with either scepter or sword to use with too many offhands... and I've gone off sword since they sped up the BF animation when shortening the evade duration, so it doesn't look as good as it used too.

I think mesmer would be the only class that didn't get a new 2 hand weapon on any elite spec (going by the rumours for other specs also)?

Though of course I'd prefer a hammer control spec, I'd sooner take shortbow on a music spec over warhorn. Unless they do something random and give us mainhand warhorn.

The rest of it looks interesting though - channeled F skills with pulsing effects. Wonder if the "wave" mechanic rumoured would be on here somewhere so people have to jump in time to the music. xD

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Curunen.8729 said:

That would mean yet again stuck with either scepter or sword to use with too many offhands... and I've gone off sword since they sped up the BF animation when shortening the evade duration, so it doesn't look as good as it used too.

I think mesmer would be the only class that didn't get a new 2 hand weapon on any elite spec (going by the rumours for other specs also)?

Though of course I'd prefer a hammer control spec, I'd sooner take shortbow on a music spec over warhorn. Unless they do something random and give us mainhand warhorn.

The rest of it looks interesting though - channeled F skills with pulsing effects. Wonder if the "wave" mechanic rumoured would be on here somewhere so people have to jump in time to the music. xD

What about Warhorn Main hand and Off hand. Double warhorn. Double the beats. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Curunen.8729 said:

Thanks for your input! Yeah I believe mesmer is the only class without a 2-hand elite spec weapon yet.

I made a threat about a bard/minstrel class here, with different f-mechanics, but I'm sure a channeled "tempest-like" ability would also be good if implemented well.

However, I'd rather have a f-mechanic that consists of 4 instruments that behave like firebrand's tomes with a dps, condi, cc, heal catergory (guitar, flute, drums, harp) and have them time-based instead of skill based like firebrand's tomes. Each clone active when channeling an instrument increases the time you can stay in the instrument and use their different skills.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, anduriell.6280 said:

I wouldn't mind getting a mainhand AND offhand with the next elite spec (kinda like soulbest gets 2 daggers).

I think anet will stick to offhand weapons being exclusively offhand weapons, so no mainhand warhorn I assume. I'd be happy with a pistol mainhand and warhorn offhand too to be honest, but I'd prefer shortbow overall (there's not enough classes with shortbow in the game anyway and I want to shoot unicorns with my dreamer skin on my mesmer, it would be perfect!).

Edited by Sodeni.6041
  • Like 2

Also The_Dreamer would do a very nice theme combo with mesmer. Somehow i feel like Anet did a miss there not giving mesmer the access to shortbow in any of the previous specializations. 

Next Shortbow legendary could be an bow with a shape of an Harp and projectiles with a shape of a note. Also fancy high peach sounds  and a lot of glitter mandatory with such weapon. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sodeni.6041 said:

Thanks for your input! Yeah I believe mesmer is the only class without a 2-hand elite spec weapon yet.

I made a threat about a bard/minstrel class here, with different f-mechanics, but I'm sure a channeled "tempest-like" ability would also be good if implemented well.

However, I'd rather have a f-mechanic that consists of 4 instruments that behave like firebrand's tomes with a dps, condi, cc, heal catergory (guitar, flute, drums, harp) and have them time-based instead of skill based like firebrand's tomes. Each clone active when channeling an instrument increases the time you can stay in the instrument and use their different skills.

It does seem a bit like tempest overloads, just wonder how gimmicky the weapon swaps/dodges/shouts etc mixing in while channeling would be.

More curious is how all shatter traits would work with it.

Yeah a kit style F skill instrument selection would be interesting, though the rumour seems to emphasis the vocal nature of the spec.

I'm excited to see what we get anyway (if there is any truth in any of it) as the mechanics sound like they would be fun. Just the weapon choice looks to be unfortunate.

9 minutes ago, anduriell.6280 said:

This would be kitten awesome!

Anything beyond only an offhand with 2 skills.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Also The_Dreamer would do a very nice theme combo with mesmer. Somehow i feel like Anet did a miss there not giving mesmer the access to shortbow in any of the previous specializations. 

Next Shortbow legendary could be an bow with a shape of an Harp and projectiles with a shape of a note. Also fancy high peach sounds  and a lot of glitter mandatory with such weapon. 

Exactly!!! I would kill to be able to use the dreamer on my pink mesmer! 

And they could totally make the elite spec's collection weapon a harp-bow, would be amazing!

Edited by Sodeni.6041
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Curunen.8729 said:

It does seem a bit like tempest overloads, just wonder how gimmicky the weapon swaps/dodges/shouts etc mixing in while channeling would be.

More curious is how all shatter traits would work with it.

Yeah a kit style F skill instrument selection would be interesting, though the rumour seems to emphasis the vocal nature of the spec.

I'm excited to see what we get anyway (if there is any truth in any of it) as the mechanics sound like they would be fun. Just the weapon choice looks to be unfortunate.

This would be kitten awesome!

Anything beyond only an offhand with 2 skills.

To be honest the leaks seem real to me. Nobody ever suggested the name "Songstress" on any thread here. It's a name that anet would totally come up with for an elite spec. And the rest of the threat also looks really believeable imo.

Honestly, I'm excited if it will actually be a bard elite spec because I wanted one for the longest time. I would just be let down though if we just get an offhand warhorn (which it will be according to the leaks ...) it's so uninspired tbh.

A music themed shortbow (harp) would be as unique as the long range greatsword mesmer has, it would be a wasted opportunity if they just gave us a warhorn.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sodeni.6041 said:

Mesmer isn't the only class without a 2-handed elite spec weapon.

Elementalist also didn't get one yet (offhand warhorn and mainland sword so far).

I personally think that shortbow would be better and thematically not as obvious as the warhorn, but we will see.

Which leak are you talking about, btw? I read one recently, but thought that it is obviously fake.

• Like 1

I'm fine with warhorn if they do something interesting with it, but i'd prefer shortbow so we're not tied to the idea that the only instrument we use is a warhorn. ('cause honestly, warhorns aren't really that musical. Only so much you can do with a handful of toots)

That and I just don't want another offhand

Edited by Roda.7468

57 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Elementalist also didn't get one yet (offhand warhorn and mainland sword so far).

I personally think that shortbow would be better and thematically not as obvious as the warhorn, but we will see.

Which leak are you talking about, btw? I read one recently, but thought that it is obviously fake.

On that note I was going by the same rumour that ele will get longbow, taking that into account.

4 minutes ago, Roda.7468 said:

I'm fine with warhorn if they do something interesting with it, but i'd prefer shortbow so we're not tied to the idea that the only instrument we use is a warhorn. ('cause honestly, warhorns aren't really that musical. Only so much you can do with a handful of toots)

That and I just don't want another offhand

To be fair, utilising magic you can do quite alot when it comes to music with warhorn.

I mean, if you are using a normal shortbow, you also won't be able to do alot of music with it. Just with magic attached (turning the shortbow into a magical harp, for example), it would make sense.

Just now, Kodama.6453 said:

To be fair, utilising magic you can do quite alot when it comes to music with warhorn.

I mean, if you are using a normal shortbow, you also won't be able to do alot of music with it. Just with magic attached (turning the shortbow into a magical harp, for example), it would make sense.

I was thinking more like, with a shortbow, you could base the utilities and class mechanic changes off of music and different instruments. So all the music would be done with your weapon put away while the music magic is being casted, and then you could use the shortbow as just a magical shortbow that could combo off of the effects you put out with your hammerspace instruments/singing/whatever.

If we got just a warhorn, it would be a kind of chekov's gun problem where,. when we see there's an instrument right there, it HAS to be the source of most music magic.

23 minutes ago, Roda.7468 said:

I was thinking more like, with a shortbow, you could base the utilities and class mechanic changes off of music and different instruments. So all the music would be done with your weapon put away while the music magic is being casted, and then you could use the shortbow as just a magical shortbow that could combo off of the effects you put out with your hammerspace instruments/singing/whatever.

If we got just a warhorn, it would be a kind of chekov's gun problem where,. when we see there's an instrument right there, it HAS to be the source of most music magic.

Don't think this is true. You could still have the mesmer summon a magical instrument to cast utility skills and such for the utility skills. It doesn't have to all originate from the warhorn.

I actually think that it is even more unrealistic that the shortbow will "just get used as a magical bow". If mesmer gets a music based elite spec, then you can be pretty sure that the weapon will also be music based. That's just how elite specs work, the weapon is themed alongside the spec.

Example:

Holosmith is about lasers. Their sword is laser themed, even if the sword is not the source of all lasers of the spec, but the photon forge is.

• Like 1

I really do not care about the theme of the eSpec, nor the actual weapons we get, just the 2-5 new weapon skills.

I choose SB for 5 new weapon skills, cause more is more.

Can someone tell me where the notion that Mesmer next eSpec will be music themed comes from?  Is this just years of wishful thinking from the Mesmer community?  Has ANet ever stated anything about this?

5 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

It's rumored thaele gets a longbow next so mesmer would be the only one without a 2-handed weapon 😕 

I'm referring to those leaks 

Edited by Sodeni.6041

54 minutes ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

I really do not care about the theme of the eSpec, nor the actual weapons we get, just the 2-5 new weapon skills.

I choose SB for 5 new weapon skills, cause more is more.

Can someone tell me where the notion that Mesmer next eSpec will be music themed comes from?  Is this just years of wishful thinking from the Mesmer community?  Has ANet ever stated anything about this?

I made a concept for a minstrel class: 

Many other mesmers also created bards, minstrels, etc. with great concepts.

It's wishful thinking but I'm sure anet knows about the general opinion that a lot of mesmers would like a music themed class because mesmer already has music skills to a certain extend (trident skill 1 for example) and minstrels exist in tyria.

The leaks I'm referring to:

Edited by Sodeni.6041

5 minutes ago, Sodeni.6041 said:

I made a concept for a minstrel class: 

Many other mesmers also created bards, minstrels, etc. with great concepts.

It's wishful thinking but I'm sure anet knows about the general opinion that a lot of mesmers would like a music themed class because mesmer already has music skills to a certain extend (trident skill 1 for example) and minstrels exist in tyria.

The leaks I'm referring to:

Ah yes, I know that leak. Honestly, I think it is most likely fake. There is quite a bunch of stuff which doesn't make sense.

1 minute ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Ah yes, I know that leak. Honestly, I think it is most likely fake. There is quite a bunch of stuff which doesn't make sense.

Really? I thought it's really authentic. Only anet would come up with the name songstress and all the other leaked things make a lot of sense and are detailed and well thought out. Kinda reminds me of the PoF leak which turned out to be completely true.

21 minutes ago, Sodeni.6041 said:

Really? I thought it's really authentic. Only anet would come up with the name songstress and all the other leaked things make a lot of sense and are detailed and well thought out. Kinda reminds me of the PoF leak which turned out to be completely true.

Just to name a few points, which make me think it is fake:

• Ranger elite spec is supposed to be Kurzick themed, yet it utilises a war turtle for the elite skill, which was a Luxon thing
  • Songstress as an elite spec name doesn't make that much sense, considering that a songstress is explicitly female
  • Constructor elite spec for engi: utilises minions again, while Anet has the stance that ai utility skills shouldn't be competitive (look at our turrets) and Anet already failed with implementing another minion type for engi (gyros), seems like Anet setting themselves up for failure again
  • Guardian mechanic to return 100% of damage with aegis instead of blocking with aegis is on such a high level of dumb that Anet wouldn't implement it. Reflecting 100% of damage with guardian's many aegis sources would be ridiculous 
  • Warrior getting additional weapon slots: this would require them to rework the hero panel just for the existence of one elite spec.... very unlikely

In general, it seems that whoever provided that leak just looked at popular suggestions for different elite specs and put them together.

I think the chances of this being real are extremely small.

Edited by Kodama.6453
  • Thanks 4