[Feedback] A bit sad there's no women's sizes/cuts in the new t-shirts.

My German's a little rusty, but I was able to read a good deal of the product details, and these shirts are listed as unisex. I don't think it has anything to do with "gamer bros", as anyone can wear these if they like the look of them. If you're looking for v-necks or those awful t-shirts with the tiny cap sleeves that get devoured by your armpits, you may have better luck browsing Etsy, RedBubble, or other fan-happy merch sites.

I wouldn't be against them offering different cuts for the EMP products, but I also don't feel like they're out to exclude anyone. The decision to settle on unisex might have been a simple question of costs. If you really want a questionable fit, look at the leggings ArenaNet promoted with IBS that even the announcer joked he couldn't fit into.

EDIT: Review my post a little further down. ArenaNet linked to the German version of this site and on that version the listings say 'uni'. However, when viewed in English, the shirts are revealed to be men's cut. Men's cut is not unisex (though it can sometimes be similar), and therefore yeah this is a confusing choice for ArenaNet.

Edited by AgentMoore.9453
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

First off, I'm not accusing them of being out to exclude anyone. I'm pointing out a disappointing oversight. I was excited because I thought I could get merchandise that would be fun to wear in public. I love the designs! But I care about fit and  it's not as fun to wear a shirt that doesn't fit. I'm not out to flame them. I'm simply stating my disappointment.

Second, "Unisex" is just saying "men's cut but girls can wear it too! ~teehee." Or worse. They don't look as nice, and your condescension with "questionable fit" is unnecessary.

I don't think you understand what a "women's cut" t-shirt is. It does not mean "v-neck" or "short sleeves". (Men can have those too!) It's a completely different shape. It may have just been for cost saving, which is fair and all, but it's still disappointing. I would have loved to get a t-shirt that actually fits instead of one that just "kind of" fits.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, Crescendo Forte.4821 said:

First off, I'm not accusing them of being out to exclude anyone. I'm pointing out a disappointing oversight. I was excited because I thought I could get merchandise that would be fun to wear in public. I love the designs! But I care about fit and  it's not as fun to wear a shirt that doesn't fit. I'm not out to flame them. I'm simply stating my disappointment.

It's fine to be disappointed by the lack of variation this go around, but the "Classic gamer bro" remark made it sound as though you felt excluded for gender/body shape reasons. This is why I mentioned the apparent lack of exclusion, because female-bodied persons can (and do) wear unisex shirts.

Second, "Unisex" is just saying "men's cut but girls can wear it too! ~teehee." Or worse.

Unisex means "anyone's cut". It's like the cut version of "one size fits most". There's no special agenda with unisex garments.

They don't look as nice, and your condescension with "questionable fit" is unnecessary.

You're welcome to your opinion of unisex cut t-shirts and I don't think anyone's going to fight you for it. The questionable (questionable as in 'why would they do it like this?') nature of the leggings is that they will not fit a wide variety of people as was pointed out by the person presenting them, and the designs chosen are uninteresting to me; condescension did not factor into the comment as I made it, so I apologize if it's how it sounded.

I don't think you understand what a "women's cut" t-shirt is. It does not mean "v-neck" or "short sleeves".

I absolutely do understand what they are, and women's cut shirts can be (and often are) v-neck and short sleeve. Clearly these aren't the only women's cut options, but they are options nevertheless and the sites I mentioned are good places to find them (and others) when official merch sites let you down.

With any luck, the EMP shirts will sell well and that may encourage ArenaNet to invest in other cuts and styles. If not, perhaps they'll read your feedback and their next contract will have a wider selection.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kabar Jaw.4670 said:

All the models are men. Just throwing that out there. Crescendo Forte is making a legitimate point imo. Also the product description says Men.

I decided to look into this again out of curiosity. The link that ArenaNet posted gave the site in German. On the German version of the website, the shirts are listed as Uni, but scrolling down, I see there's also a secondary data point that says Männer, so I understand now why I thought these were unisex cut shirts. Looking at your English link confirms this.

If these truly are men's cut shirts and not unisex as I'd thought, then yes, OP's point is validated and it's strange that this was done. EMP offers clothing for all genders, and while cost might still be the reason they chose to do this, I don't really understand why they'd choose a men's cut and not unisex.

Edited by AgentMoore.9453
Typed 'they' instead of 'the'. Whoop.
  • Like 3

It is an odd decision to only offer men's t-shirts. Perhaps this is a small production run because they're reluctant to invest too much into an unknown (to them) licence right now and if they sell well they'll introduce women's t-shirts too. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pifil.5193 said:

It is an odd decision to only offer men's t-shirts. Perhaps this is a small production run because they're reluctant to invest too much into an unknown (to them) licence right now and if they sell well they'll introduce women's t-shirts too. 

Interesting point but those sites don't keep an stock of printed t-shirts, they print them as requested. It is cheaper and more efficient.

Probably it has to do with the design , as OP said  women T-shirt shapes are different and the boxy design of those may not fit well.

And maybe it is done like that because after all  there may be not as many women as we think playing this game, the only ones who have the numbers is Anet after all. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'm actually happy that the stuff is available in Germany. (German shop even. Lol.) When a lot of other stuff often is only from the US.

Though I do not even like most of the designs. Some classic racial stuff or from our personal orders or pact ... I might have liked that more. (Maybe there was stuff like that in the past.)

(I really need to make a customized shirt with some sites that  allow to uplaod pics lol. My main char and order and racial badges lol. 😄 And Icon for engineer.)

But yeah: The game itself is newbie friendly. And targeted at all players of all gender and sexuality. (And even has homosexual characters in the game and stuff like that.) - So they should have made also shirts targeted at females. Maybe write to the shop directly? (They also should understand if you wrote in English - I mean basically all the younger people here learn English in school.)

Seems to be a big deal to be political correct and especially to make no mistake if it is about gender equality. (Media here often points stuff out. And companies often try for themselves to be overly correct to avoid negative press.)

Writing them a message ... I would think the chance that they reacted to it might not be too low.

Edit: But personally I would not care. If it says unisex ... it seems okay to me. I mean that is the most equal thing - to not have different cuts for different people. But the same for everyone. 😉

Edit2: "It says gender: men" though. At last on the English site for one of the shirts I checked.

Edited by Luthan.5236

The company seems to mainly sell rock/metal band t-shirts and those have a long history of printing exclusively mens shirts then picking out a few of the 'girliest' designs, ordering extras of the smaller sizes and calling them "unisex" when they're very definitely still mens shirts.

As someone said earlier in the thread there are more differences than just the neck line - ideally womens shirts have slightly narrower shoulders, more space in the chest and a slightly narrower waist. Genuinely unisex shirts are at best a compromise between mens and womens designs but often just square and don't fit anyone very well.

Having said that I've been wanting GW2 t-shirts beyond the one good one and one disaster I was able to order from Amazon and I'll probably pick up a couple of band shirts at the same time (because I really need more of those 😄) so I'll see how they fit when they arrive.

Edit: So it turns out the website does sell women's t-shirts (and dresses and a bunch of other stuff), but it looks like it might be up to each company to decide what products their designs are available on. When we were looking for some stuff to add to the order to get free postage my husband had the opposite problem because most of the Harley Quinn stuff is for women.

Given that I definitely think Anet should look into selling women's t-shirts as well as mens ones.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 2

Since people are beating around the bush a bit with the subject in this thread, I'll make it clear.

There's no such thing as a unisex shirt for girls because girls have breasts. They do fit but the lift that results from not having extra space in the chest area causes the bottom to pull up and expose the tummy, which isn't a look thats welcome in many environments.

Its okay for a casual day out but that's about it.

Sometimes you can get around it by buying a size higher, but then it just looks baggy instead which is also a very casual look aka "boyfriend's shirt".

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

There's no such thing as a unisex shirt for girls because girls have breasts.

Depends completely on brand. How do I know? Most of my employers have issued us unisex uniforms/shirts and once I pick a size suited to my body, they fit me fine without the issues you describe. I'm non-binary, and I've worn a wide variety of fits and gendered styles over the years, and I can tell you there's such a thing as a badly-fitted shirt even if you're shopping in the 'correct' cut for your physical gender.

So sure, some unisex shirts can fit poorly (usually the ones that are actually men's cuts but are being marketed as uni), but to say there's no such thing as one that fits is demonstrably wrong in my experience.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I'm with you OP. I got quite excited after seeing the announcement but it turned to dissapointment as soon as I saw there are no women's sizes. I really don't feel like buying clothes that are bound to end up used as pajamas or just buried in my wardrobe because they won't fit. I've had more than enough t-shirts trying to strangle me because the front just keeps "traveling upwards" due to me having breasts.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

Some euro-sizes would be good too. In the past,  whenever I ordered a "large" t-shirt from an american Company, an entire platoon could set up camp in it.  I guess "Large" is not the same everywhere in the world. 

EMP has generally european sizes, or at least it fits correctly in the Netherlands (and since the Netherlands is the most diverse country it makes sense to compare it there)

1 hour ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

Some euro-sizes would be good too. In the past,  whenever I ordered a "large" t-shirt from an american Company, an entire platoon could set up camp in it.  I guess "Large" is not the same everywhere in the world. 

It definetly isnt. For my work we got some fleece jackets and I ordered "medium" which normally fit me. But it came from the US and I literally drown in it, its like an XL lol.

Also, got to love Anets new stealth mods. No warnings, no notifications its been done, just posts deleted. Now how am I supposed to proudly show the infractions?

My t-shirts arrived! Here's how they look:

From the front: https://i.imgur.com/izREObk.jpg

And from the side: https://i.imgur.com/epDbvke.png

For info I'm usually a UK women's size 12 (although it depends on the brand of course) and I bought medium t-shirts. I was worried they'd be a bit tight round the chest based on the measurements but they're looser than I expected and overall fit about the same most of the non-fitted t-shirts I've bought. (Which isn't to say they don't fit, they're just not as tight on the narrower parts as fitted t-shirt would be.) My only complaint is that they're a bit long, but if it bothers me I can always trim and re-hem them.

Definitely casual wear, but it's a video game t-shirt, I'm not sure how it could not be casual.

I'd still like them to offer womens t-shirts as well, especially since it's something the site sells already so I assume it's a matter of arranging to have the designs printed on both rather than trying to create or order in entirely new shirts. But for myself I'm happy with what I got and will definitely be wearing them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1