Gem Store Items.

1 hour ago, jewel.6047 said:

Would love to be able to purchase outfits, wings, armor, miniatures, chairs & other items without waiting for them to be rotated in Gem Store. 

Who wouldn't? But i believe they rotate items in the Gem Store to give you the "I must buy it now before it disappears!" feeling.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sir Alric.5078 said:

Who wouldn't? But i believe they rotate items in the Gem Store to give you the "I must buy it now before it disappears!" feeling.

Yep it’s all about provoking impulse buying. I think it’s debatable whether it is moral, but hey it’s just looks

2 hours ago, firedragon.8953 said:

Engineered scarcity. Makes you want things that you would otherwise "wait" for and never actually get.

The problem is they rotate the store too slow considering the amount of items available in game to the amount of items available in the store at one given time

6 hours ago, Mik.3401 said:

Yep it’s all about provoking impulse buying. I think it’s debatable whether it is moral, but hey it’s just looks

Impulse buying is the thing you do when you're already in line to buy something else and they have a shelf next to the cashier with something on it that you didn't intend to buy, but you buy it anyway on a whim.  Kinda hard to impulse buy things that aren't in the shop, so they apparently aren't using that sales gimmick...if they had, we'd probably get a pop up in the middle of buying one item that says "hey, wouldn't you like to buy this shiny, too?"  Course, that's their other failing...not having a shopping cart, making us purchase things individually, and not even having a website cash shop.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Also, they don't have the tech to offer everything all the time. 

Yes, that's according to a Dev post (Mike O., in fact). 

If they wanted to they could do it with things like the outfit and weapon skin vouchers. Just have the vouchers in the store and then you choose what you want from the voucher menu, instead of having everything in the store directly. 

51 minutes ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

Impulse buying is the thing you do when you're already in line to buy something else and they have a shelf next to the cashier with something on it that you didn't intend to buy, but you buy it anyway on a whim.  Kinda hard to impulse buy things that aren't in the shop, so they apparently aren't using that sales gimmick...if they had, we'd probably get a pop up in the middle of buying one item that says "hey, wouldn't you like to buy this shiny, too?"  Course, that's their other failing...not having a shopping cart, making us purchase things individually, and not even having a website cash shop.

Look up artificial scarcity for the theory behind it, or pop up shops for a common example.

It sounds counter intuitive but it does work. If something is always available and not necessary then potential customers will keep putting off buying it, telling themselves they might get it later. If they know it will only be available for a short time they'll get it now in case they regret not getting it later. It doesn't work with all goods and all customers of course but in the right circumstances it can actually be more profitable than keeping things available all the time. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

Mobile app would bring in more money than a website cash shop I think. "One click ordering" is probably going to be the main feature of New World for Amazon Prime users to be honest.
Current payment methods don't include Apple Pay (3% transaction fee), Amazon (<3% transaction fee with $0.30 authorization fee), or Google Pay (2.9%) /Samsung Pay. It's mainly Paypal (2.9% + $0.10) / credit card (anywhere from ~1.5% to 3.5% + $0.10) / paysafecard with the gem cards as an alternate method.

9 hours ago, Mik.3401 said:

I always wondered about that. I personally and many I know, buy rather less because we constantly miss things while we do not constantly look in the Gemshop because of its terrible Performence (*cough* really needs a web store).

And the fewest people I know in GW2, look here in the forum.
There is now this favoritism, this heart. Why not make a list of all the items that are in rotation and send out an ingame mail as soon as the desired item is available.

In my case Anet misses some purchases because I am indeed an impulse buyer, but just only when things are held in front of my nose.

... not that I would complain. I know better things to do with  my money then to spend on virtual items, so I should actually be grateful xD.

Btw, the items are ALWAYS available. I've been playing for over 5 years and I can't remember an item that was taken out of the rotation. It only takes a little longer because new items are always added. In my eyes, the rotation is still quite quick.

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Like 1

You can always check items on the wiki.  Usually tells when it was last in the gem store and may also determine a pattern.

Sending in-game mail defeats the purpose.  If you're logged in to receive the in-game mail, then you can simply check the gem store.  It has a search function so you don't have to browse through everything currently shown.

You could set a notification for when the gemstore thread here in the forum is updated and then when you get that notification email you can take a quick look to see the latest post.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Look up artificial scarcity for the theory behind it, or pop up shops for a common example.

It sounds counter intuitive but it does work. If something is always available and not necessary then potential customers will keep putting off buying it, telling themselves they might get it later. If they know it will only be available for a short time they'll get it now in case they regret not getting it later. It doesn't work with all goods and all customers of course but in the right circumstances it can actually be more profitable than keeping things available all the time. 

Yes, it does seem counter intuitive...there have been times where I thought an outfit someone else was wearing looked cool, but it wasn't currently in the shop, and by the time it rolled back into the shop, I had already gotten over having the impulse to buy it.

1 hour ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Mobile app would bring in more money than a website cash shop I think. "One click ordering" is probably going to be the main feature of New World for Amazon Prime users to be honest.
Current payment methods don't include Apple Pay (3% transaction fee), Amazon (<3% transaction fee with $0.30 authorization fee), or Google Pay (2.9%) /Samsung Pay. It's mainly Paypal (2.9% + $0.10) / credit card (anywhere from ~1.5% to 3.5% + $0.10) / paysafecard with the gem cards as an alternate method.

As long as we can bypass the 2-step shuffle we already have, anything would be an improvement!

• Like 1