Bringing Colin back was the smartest decision by ANET in years

Finally this game will have an ACTUAL vision and proper direction compared to the last few years.

And working with your playerbase instead of in secret?

Hmm... kind of sounds like what should have been in place all this time 🤔

Nice to see you on the right track for once in a long time. Now this game has some real hope for its future👍

https://i.imgur.com/Idd8bvN.jpg

Edited by ScyeRynn.4218
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 2

Just now, Mortifera.6138 said:

It's not like it was ANet's choice for Colin to leave in the first place. Don't know why you think it should have been in place this whole time when ANet didn't have a say in the matter.

A director with a vision should have been in place. ANET always had control over that and chose to put someone unfit for the job in that position and we got Ice Brood Saga. I said nothing about ANET being the reason Colin left.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, ScyeRynn.4218 said:

A director with a vision should have been in place. ANET always had control over that and chose to put someone unfit for the job in that position and we got Ice Brood Saga. I said nothing about ANET being the reason Colin left.

Maybe they didn't have a choice in that, as no one else was "fit" for that position? Colin was with ANet for 11 years...

Edited by Mortifera.6138
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Maybe they didn't have a choice in that, as no one else was "fit" for that position? Colin was with ANet for 11 years...

Oh they had a choice. They just made the wrong one. Don't need to be with ANET for 11 years to not do the dumpster fire that the last director did.

Edited by ScyeRynn.4218
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Essence Snow.3194 said:

IMO...Amazon poached ppl....Colin was one of those......Amazon cancelled loads of gaming projects.....and Colin came back........I might be wrong

However he came back, we have a decent director again. If that means Mike Z returns let's hope it's not in any directorial role.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

his departure to Amazon for the Crucible game was a major failure. Since the game was discontinued a few months after the release

I think he's coming back to Arena because he doesn't have too many other choices ^^ Personally I think this is a bad thing, he will always be responsible for the very bad living story  1, months and months of boredom at the start of the game ...

There are developers much better than him who left after POF, these people yes I regret them( those who take care of raids, the old scenario and jumping puzzles for example).

I have absolutely no confidence in "his vision" as you tell us. It even scares me very much for the future.

I hope guild wars don't have the same future as Crucible

Edited by radda.8920
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Mike Z left after a week, he didn't have much too do with IbS.

MZ had been the game director since 2017, taking over for MO who had stepped in temporarily to fix the mess after Colin left. MO quit in 2019, leaving MZ in charge of ArenaNet. MZ quit about a month later.

IBS was MZ, but it's unfair to judge how it turned because it was cancelled early on. Shortly before the layoffs, he talked about it taking "a couple of years" to play out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ScyeRynn.4218 said:

Finally this game will have an ACTUAL vision and proper direction compared to the last few years.

And working with your playerbase instead of in secret?

Hmm... kind of sounds like what should have been in place all this time 🤔

Nice to see you on the right track for once in a long time. Now this game has some real hope for its future.

Sure, the same vision and direction that got Amazon games Crucible canned?

He also was in charge when wvw's secret overhaul was delayed and finally released when he left and Mike took over his role.

Right track remains to be seen. Although they're finally doing monthly wvw events now, only took 9 years, but hey if that was under him then we might be on the right track!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Healix.5819 said:

MZ had been the game director since 2017, taking over for MO who had stepped in temporarily to fix the mess after Colin left. MO quit in 2019, leaving MZ in charge of ArenaNet. MZ quit about a month later.

IBS was MZ, but it's unfair to judge how it turned because it was cancelled early on. Shortly before the layoffs, he talked about it taking "a couple of years" to play out.

Then it wasn't MZ, because they cut it off early to work on the expansion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Sure, the same vision and direction that got Amazon games Crucible canned?

He also was in charge when wvw's secret overhaul was delayed and finally released when he left and Mike took over his role.

Right track remains to be seen. Although they're finally doing monthly wvw events now, only took 9 years, but hey if that was under him then we might be on the right track!

Why blame Colin?

Do you know that Amazon games has horrible mismanagement all the way at the top? There are many articles written about it. For example:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-01-29/amazon-game-studios-struggles-to-find-a-hit
https://www.wired.com/story/amazon-wants-to-win-at-games-so-why-hasnt-it/

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Infusion.7149 said:

Why blame Colin?

Do you know that Amazon games has horrible mismanagement all the way at the top? There are many articles written about it. For example:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-01-29/amazon-game-studios-struggles-to-find-a-hit
https://www.wired.com/story/amazon-wants-to-win-at-games-so-why-hasnt-it/

Because of the other thing I mentioned...

Pajama's of Thorns coming back? cool.

The glaring problem with IBS now though is that it exists.. and it will always exist in this form unless we can convince the devs to do something about that.

It really doesn't matter how "good" any new content ends up being, IBS and the several years!! of missing LW1 are always going to stain this franchise until they are fixed.
At least LW1 had good excuses.. or at least understandable excuses not to be re-introduced.
IBS though does not, it's just terrible and terrible can be fixed up and improved on.

But eh.. screw the old stuff give new stuff now right?.. that's what everybody seems to want for this game.
Even if it means Gw2 is worse off for it.
Bad and broken content should NEVER!! be ignored.

• Thanks 2

I must say, I am kinda excited about GW2 future. The biggest news for me is the DX11 upgrade to the client, that means the studio is thinking seriously about GW2 longterm, because this is a big decision and investment to modify the engine in this crucial part.

Info about Colin returning to the team is just a cherry on top :)

I am actually installing GW2 again and plan to get up to speed before expac :)

1 hour ago, nehezbegar.1065 said:

I must say, I am kinda excited about GW2 future. The biggest news for me is the DX11 upgrade to the client, that means the studio is thinking seriously about GW2 longterm, because this is a big decision and investment to modify the engine in this crucial part.

Info about Colin returning to the team is just a cherry on top 🙂

I am actually installing GW2 again and plan to get up to speed before expac 🙂

Plus the delay as well, i'm pretty happy about all of this.
It's all good news to help recover from that awful IBS finale.

I've got a pretty decent CPU in my PC (4.0GHz I7 6700K) specially when considering how old Gw2 is at this point so I'm quite curious to see how the game will perform for me after the engine upgrade.

Don't really get the excitement. CJ was part of the game direction that resulted in content that the player base felt was harder than necessary (HoT)  and inappropriate for casual play (raids). Not sure why anyone would be excited about having a director that rolls the dice like that. We will see if we get that 'direction' again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

19 hours ago, ScyeRynn.4218 said:

Lol who told you that? He was director for months and part of the "creative" vision behind that mess.

nah, not a "mess" by any means... first half of the Saga was alright, the second half crumbled down for managerial decisions above the game director.

The concept and initial execution of the Saga, while probably not being "expansion-level content" (we can't even critique that because we'll never know what they could or would have done in that direction towards the end of the season), wasn't only decent enough - it had the best story-telling in recent memory and excellent map design.

• Like 5