Snap to ground - line of sight - sneaky players abusing it.

If you not familiar with Jerrifer Slough tower in the Eternal Battleground, have a look at it. before trying to argue/defend anything. 

We have some trebuchet built in the above tower, all of them close to the cliff near the vista. Our fault we built it so close that enemy can shoot it down.  So the enemies came, took down our trebuchets. Using the balista and meteor shower and rangers barrage.  

After enemies left, we rebuild the trebuchet, this time without any supply left in the tower or anywhere near, we have to run supply from various places, porting, taking time, carefully placing the trebuchet in the middle of the rock where you cannot hit with the balista or meteor shower, 

Then came this despicable ranger with their snap to ground , defying line of sight, standing underneath, really really close to the rock, starts to barrage our trebuchet, once twice, three time.  You can't even see the players because line of sight.  

Ranger also has auto-turn-to hit players ability with the #4 long bow skill to knock you back. Me, playing a mesmer/necromancer, everything needs line of sight, needs to turn to face your enemies before I can use the skill.  When I am on my warrior, if I use bull Charge, facing the wrong direction won't land you a hit, if I am on my  Rev staff, I also need to target and face the correct direction, on  nothing on any profession has auto target / turn like ranger has. 

BUT here Rangers are, defying everything and THE BIG QUESTION IS, Why aren't anything being done about this in balance of profession, if you are unwilling to remove that from the ranger, then I want line of sight defying on all my other professions too, I want auto turn to face enemy when I use  Oppressive Collapse on my necromance,r and auto turn to Bull's Charge the enemy , I want ground target on all my necromancer's wells so I can hit enemies standing inside a towers where I can't see them. 

• Haha 3

Wish they had not put snap to target option in the game... so lazy.... and abusable with no los involved. Can be done on guard too btw.

"But it's all rangers have to go on! they're not accepted in zergs!" neither is half dozen other specs, they don't get to abuse 1800 range or no los, and ahhhh meh, same ole stories, same ole terribad balance, nothing will change. 🙄

• Like 2

7 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Wish they had not put snap to target option in the game... so lazy.... and abusable with no los involved. Can be done on guard too btw.

"But it's all rangers have to go on! they're not accepted in zergs!" neither is half dozen other specs, they don't get to abuse 1800 range or no los, and ahhhh meh, same ole stories, same ole terribad balance, nothing will change. 🙄

Funny part is that Longbow 5 ignoring LoS is the sole reason Ranger sees play in Wvw zergs. 

It's actually busted OP because it makes enemy siege redundant. 

Having 1-3 Ranger who know what they are doing (very rare) makes getting towers etc a breeze. 

Also the Ranger meme is dead. 

In Wvw, Ele is the new Ranger. 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 4

Like Leto said, while snap to target without doubt makes it much easier, it IS possible to hit in the middle of jerri rock without it. I usually don't bother turning snap on because I forget then get annoyed when I want to have an enemy targeted but barrage over on a down clump and instead barrage that one person.

Not saying Snap is fair or should be in game, just noting that they aren't necessarily using it.

4 minutes ago, Stand The Wall.6987 said:

if anet made aoe require los so many people would get mad. sure would make taking stuff a lot harder and fuel the siege wars that only 10% of the population actually enjoys.

Not when most aoes have required los since the beginning, there's only a couple of them that have been given a pass for whatever reason.

I think all skills should be affected by los, equally.

• Like 2

see, so many ways a ranger are OP is sneaky ways. Please make the fix , no line of sight, depending on where they players is standing, you dont get to hide under a rock and shoot arrows THROUGH THE ROCKS TO THE MIDDLE OF PLACES YOU CAN'T SEE. 

You dont see my mesmer Blink onto the rock in Jerrifer, do you !! 

On 7/29/2021 at 2:03 PM, XenesisII.1540 said:

Not when most aoes have required los since the beginning, there's only a couple of them that have been given a pass for whatever reason.

I think all skills should be affected by los, equally.

He isn't talking about the placement of aoe. He is talking about being affected by aoe when the players themselves are not in direct los.

The irony kills me. An out of sight ranger taking out a treb that has been deliberately placed to be out of sight to hit attackers that can't hit it. You are complaining about not being able to do the exact same thing you are saying the ranger is doing, seriously!

And when in any battle in history couldn't archers fire arrows into the sky that land behind castle walls? Not aimed, but blanket targeting an area. This is a non argument, the skill works exactly as it should.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, MoonT.6845 said:

The irony kills me. An out of sight ranger taking out a treb that has been deliberately placed to be out of sight to hit attackers that can't hit it. You are complaining about not being able to do the exact same thing you are saying the ranger is doing, seriously!

And when in any battle in history couldn't archers fire arrows into the sky that land behind castle walls? Not aimed, but blanket targeting an area. This is a non argument, the skill works exactly as it should.

Historically, i SHOULD be able to cast a meteor shower anywhere. 

• Like 2

How many barrages does it take to kill a treb?

I guess they could be running double barrage Quick Draw, but yea, just kill them.

Btw this is intended behavior. Maybe you think this should be changed.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Barrage

May 08, 2018

Fixed a bug that prevented this skill from being targeted in certain areas blocked by line of sight.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Justine.6351 said:

He isn't talking about the placement of aoe. He is talking about being affected by aoe when the players themselves are not in direct los.

ah you mean like engi’s and their grenades.. 😏

roflmao.  It’s a GAME.  Nothing is equal and never will be.  As usual it’s a learn to play situation… or in rangers case.. go down and kill him.  😏

Edited by Some Call Me Tim.2319