Pistol elite?

Anchoku.8142

7 hours ago, Nimon.7840 said:

Well, they just introduced a 1200 range dagger, that pistol could be close range or long range as well.

Just because it's a pistol doesn't mean, that it's 900 range (I really hope that's not the case).

And the more I look at it, the more I think we will be getting a second weapon.

I changed some colour settings a bit:

https://tinyurl.com/e4vhykw

There will be jade tech weapon skins so the left hand could be a focus or even a bizzare war horn skin. A new off-hand weapon or an off-hand kit would be nice but it breaks with expac tradition so I am not counting on it.

2 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Maybe unpopular opinion, but I think the necromancer elite spec is less of a plaguedoctor and goes in the direction of a "hexslinger". Someone who uses cursed bullets for their attacks.

It just hit me that anet removed the skill "cursed bullet" in the past from deadeye... this would be the perfect opportunity to bring this thematic back through the necromancer. Which makes more sense to have cursed bullet in the first place.

The bullet icon we saw also could indicate exactly this: a bullet infused with deadly curses.

This would be an awesome theme imo. And change the gameplay drasticly if made right. I love my necros have one of every race and i hope we will get something more unique out of the stereotypical necromancer archetype box.

1 minute ago, SunTzu.4513 said:

This would be an awesome theme imo. And change the gameplay drasticly if made right. I love my necros have one of every race and i hope we will get something more unique out of the stereotypical necromancer archetype box.

I personally think that it might be a highly evasive necromancer spec. Mobility, stealth, etc. It could fit the theme of someone barraging you with cursed bullets really well.

And they said they ARE willing to think outside of the typical box for every class, so I think the chances for something like this are pretty good. More active damage evasion for necro instead of the damage sponge mechanic of the death shroud.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Maybe unpopular opinion, but I think the necromancer elite spec is less of a plaguedoctor and goes in the direction of a "hexslinger". Someone who uses cursed bullets for their attacks.

It just hit me that anet removed the skill "cursed bullet" in the past from deadeye... this would be the perfect opportunity to bring this thematic back through the necromancer. Which makes more sense to have cursed bullet in the first place.

The bullet icon we saw also could indicate exactly this: a bullet infused with deadly curses.

A single skill don't make a whole thematic... The new e-spec may have a skill named "cursed bullet" but that's hardly much of an hint.

The bullet icon could be there for elementalist (because, to me, it look like lightning is surronding the bullet) or warrior (because it doesn't have much remaining weapon for it's e-specs and pistol is the one's that's the more thematically fitting) as much as it can be there for the necromancer. We know next to nothing about 8 out of 9 futur e-specs.

For all we know, the glowing bottle could be the philactery of the necromancer (to take an old and incredibly flawed rumored e-spec idea that was supposed to be necromancer's PoF e-spec).

Still, I don't see why a necromancer would use potions, vials or whatever container, except, maybe, to raise insects/parasits that they can unleash on their foes. Thought, I don't see either why a necromancer would bother himself with a pistol when he already got op traited scepter and axe to cover the usual range of a pistol. Thanksfully, the necromancer is all about it's shroud so pistol and vials aren't that important in the grand scheme of things for this profession.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 6:04 PM, Obtena.7952 said:

I think we are a little off track here. When I say it doesn't matter, I'm talking about the fact that whether it's projectile or not is irrelevant to my point that I don't see how a pistol doesn't already overlap weapons that exist.  This pistol better be something VERY interesting to the espec to warrant any overlap it might have with existing weapons. This is why I'm not 'hot' on the pistol concept. 

Thing with axe is, I specifically remember devs saying it's not allowed to be "good" because it's a non-projectile, for PVP balance reasons. So if pistol is power, there is actual hope for strong "true" range option for all modes. Let's be honest, staff and lich aren't cutting it.

If it's condi though, that's going to be lame. No way in hell it stands up to scepter.

• Like 1

This is the e-spec I'm currently most excited for. My top 3 are Engineer, Mesmer, and Necro. I'm worried about Engi. And, Mesmer was really "meh" for me. A spooky pistol-wielding Necro sounds so cool to me! I only wish I could use torch off-hand for the fashion. Ah well. 

I've been dressing up a couple of my Necros to prepare for it. If I get letdown, then ah well. 

Full condi DPS with focus on bleeding and/or poison instead of torment, on top of a nerf to scourge to put it back to support levels (~10-15% as projected before torment changes) or making scaling of barrier more dependent on healing power. I don't think a ranged power weapon is likely and a pistol spec would probably have piercing to differentiate it from a AoE as on scourge.

Scourge right now is filling both support and condi and it could be the new spec is condi only with low cleave (so higher single target damage).

On gw2 wingman, average scourge does more damage than power reaper even on power fights such as Gorseval , Adina, Xera, and Slothasor. If you don't count the +35% power bonus on Keep Construct it does more than the average reaper.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Full condi DPS with focus on bleeding and/or poison instead of torment, on top of a nerf to scourge to put it back to support levels (~10-15% as projected before torment changes) or making scaling of barrier more dependent on healing power. I don't think a ranged power weapon is likely and a pistol spec would probably have piercing to differentiate it from a AoE as on scourge.

Scourge right now is filling both support and condi and it could be the new spec is condi only with low cleave (so higher single target damage).

On gw2 wingman, average scourge does more damage than power reaper even on power fights such as Gorseval , Adina, Xera, and Slothasor. If you don't count the +35% power bonus on Keep Construct it does more than the average reaper.

You have to choose to build for the big barriers. You can't be a heal scourge and a high condi dps. It's one or the other. And you listed a bunch of fights where epi is used to completely pad meters. Just saying 

5 minutes ago, Zalavaaris.5329 said:

You have to choose to build for the big barriers. You can't be a heal scourge and a high condi dps. It's one or the other. And you listed a bunch of fights where epi is used to completely pad meters. Just saying 

2-3K barrier/s yesterday night in T4 fractals , Boneskinner, Whisper of Jormag, and in raiding. All while top DPS unless it's another scourge, and you can look at logs to check target DPS.

Scourge is near 38K right now, while condi soulbeast on shortbow is ~33K (the major pure range build). I was playing scourge before torment was buffed to the sky and even if it was 32-34K DPS (so condi soulbeast / condi BS levels) I would still be playing it.

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Infusion.7149 said:

2-3K barrier/s yesterday night in T4 fractals , Boneskinner, Whisper of Jormag, and in raiding. All while top DPS , and you can look at logs to check target DPS.

Scourge is near 38K right now, while condi soulbeast on shortbow is ~33K (the major pure range build). I was playing scourge before torment was buffed to the sky and even if it was 32-34K DPS (so condi soulbeast / condi BS levels) I would still be playing it.

Which benchmark shows 38k? 

3 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Nightmare runes? Is this bench old? All of the guides are going either torment or lich.

Yea snowcrows is lower, luckynoobs is lower, and Hardstuck is lower. Either something is out of date or everyone is playing suboptimal runes? Seems off

Edited by Zalavaaris.5329

3 minutes ago, Zalavaaris.5329 said:

Nightmare runes? Is this bench old? All of the guides are going either torment or lich.

Nope it's past 5/25 patch.
It was close enough to lich rune (within 1K) that they didn't list it. The same person's video for Lich rune is on LuckyNoobs.
https://lucky-noobs.com/builds/condition-scourge

Superior Rune of the Nightmare provides you more raw Condition damage while Superior Rune of the Lich provides more Life force. In fights without much Lifeforce income, Superior Rune of the Lich will pull ahead.
However in encounters where Life force is replenished frequently (Sabetha the Saboteur/Soulless Horror/Dhuum/…) Superior Rune of the Nightmare should deal more overall damage.
The difference here is about 700 DPS. In General Superior Rune of the Lich can be played on any boss while Superior Rune of the Nightmare may fall of if lacking the life force. So Superior Rune of the Lich is the recommended setup. For more detail check the written guide.

Edited by Infusion.7149

4 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Nope it's past 5/25 patch.
It was close enough to lich rune (within 1K) that they didn't list it. The same person's video for Lich rune is on LuckyNoobs.
https://lucky-noobs.com/builds/condition-scourge

Ok ok cool I didn't see that, you'd think all the benches would include that if it does more damage. 

14 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

What would you say is the most likely for the pistol spec necromancer to become? Power or Condi?  Personally I am strongly leaning towards condi with perhaps a focus on poison.

I think power would be better.

As many already pointed out, necromancer already has a really powerful ranged Condi weapon with Scepter. It is hard to compete with it.

Piercing ranged power damage would be something necromancer could definitely use.

I hope that they will thematically make it something like a hexslinger or witchhunter with cursed bullets.

Edited by Kodama.6453

15 minutes ago, Artyport.2084 said:

This spec makes some sense if you think about it. 
canthans probably have some fear of the undead because shiro basically turned a good portion of the population into zombies 

so the necromancers probably found another way to necromance 

I doubt that canthan have some fear of the undead due to shiro. The canthans are a community that was intimately linked to death and after life throught ritualists. For them it was probably no more than your everyday failed magical experiment aftermath.

What we know for sure is that the canthan technology revolve around "jade energy". What we can theorize, thought, is that this energy is similar to life force and thus easily processed by necromancers making them prime candidates to specialize in handling this energy.

I'm way too hyped for this spec. I screeched when they showed its sillouette last week. Hopefully we'll get a morsel of info today. I'd prefer we also got some info on traits, but they might as well save them for the beta in 2 weeks.

I agree that it will probably have some potion-like skills (whether Elixir utilities or Soul grenades as their mechanic or both). It's kitten close now!

1 hour ago, Uete.3805 said:

I'm way too hyped for this spec. I screeched when they showed its sillouette last week. Hopefully we'll get a morsel of info today. I'd prefer we also got some info on traits, but they might as well save them for the beta in 2 weeks.

I agree that it will probably have some potion-like skills (whether Elixir utilities or Soul grenades as their mechanic or both). It's kitten close now!

Nothing til now, even if usually they put this stuff at this time.

Hope we get it a bit later today and it isn't postponed to another day.

6 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Piercing ranged power damage would be something necromancer could definitely use.

I hope that they will thematically make it something like a hexslinger or witchhunter with cursed bullets.

It might just be an illustration. But on the preview pic you can clearly see some kind of fume comming out of the pistol. Which looks way too prominent to be just an after-effect of an already fired shot. My bet is on close to midrange condi.

Not saying there couldn't be any long ranged attack in there and Hexslinger does sound cool. But I see no indication for power or piercing in the pic. Plus, unless we are talking 1200+ range, Necro already got power covered via Axe.