Guild of dragons, ending support

So in the recent announcement,  Guild of wars 2 is not only ending support of windows xp and 32 bits,  But it's also terminating macintosh support as well.  

This means that people who own a windows xp, 32 bit system or even a macintosh will be unable to continue to enjoy the game they've possibly followed for years.

Arena net, while I understand you have to make way for the end of dragons,  Why do you have to end support in order to do so?  You basically screw anybody who owns a macintosh or a windows xp or 32 bit system, simply to upgrade to direct 11x.  There are plenty of possible alternatives to doing something without effectively ending service to other systems.  While Macintosh might be a mild minority of users, You should think in the long run what that kind of choice does to your overall image as a company.  And. for those of you not affected by this decision. Ask yourselves.  How would you feel if you had one of those systems?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 3

Just now, Sugerrion.9724 said:

So in the recent announcement,  Guild of wars 2 is not only ending support of windows xp and 32 bits,  But it's also terminating macintosh support as well.  

This means that people who own a windows xp, 32 bit system or even a macintosh will be unable to continue to enjoy the game they've possibly followed for years.

Arena net, while I understand you have to make way for the end of dragons,  Why do you have to end support in order to do so?  You basically screw anybody who owns a macintosh or a windows xp or 32 bit system, simply to upgrade to direct 11x.  There are plenty of possible alternatives to doing something without effectively ending service to other systems.  While Macintosh might be a mild minority of users, You should think in the long run what that kind of choice does to your overall image as a company.  And. for those of you not affected by this decision. Ask yourselves.  How would you feel if you had one of those systems?  

They arent the only such company ending support for Mac/Win XP, more and more are going that way. I havent owned a 32 bit system i use for games since 2010. The one i do own is only used for photos.

A good dev team tries to keep their game with the times, not locked in the past, and its about time they upgraded their stuff.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Steve let's dial the clock back a while shall we?  Just because some of us can afford to buy new machines, and upgrade from one system to the next. Does not.  Apply to every last human on the planet we call Earth.   Telling someone to just let go might not be so very simple for some people to do. Especially if they have no other options.  Oh and I notice you didn't once mention anything about Macintosh either.   It won't always be so simple as to just "let go"  Consider how you'd feel if you couldn't possibly manage to keep up with every console, or every system that is made. Now add to that how you'd feel if you didn't use a windows machine whatsoever.   

About 75 percent of computer users are windows.  Mac is about 17 percent...we won't mention Linux.  

So they have to go with the majority of what people will use.  Unfortunate for some users but a much smaller base to worry about losing.  Also Apple ended support on the graphics tech that GW2 uses two or three years ago, so it was imminent unless something big changed that.

• Like 3

Again, Macintosh will always be a somewhat-minority when it comes to a big decision like this.  But ask yourselves how would I feel, If I was put in a position where I can no longer enjoy Guild Wars 2, because they've chosen to make a significant change that effects the supports earlier mentioned.

I know games have to update and developers eventually have to go to the next selection of tech-upgrades.  But where does that leave the players?   Where do they go, if they can no longer play something they've possibly spent years in?

13 minutes ago, Sugerrion.9724 said:

Steve let's dial the clock back a while shall we?  Just because some of us can afford to buy new machines, and upgrade from one system to the next. Does not.  Apply to every last human on the planet we call Earth.   Telling someone to just let go might not be so very simple for some people to do. Especially if they have no other options.  Oh and I notice you didn't once mention anything about Macintosh either.   It won't always be so simple as to just "let go"  Consider how you'd feel if you couldn't possibly manage to keep up with every console, or every system that is made. Now add to that how you'd feel if you didn't use a windows machine whatsoever.   

All im gonna say on that is, given XP support ended in 2014, well, 7 years is a long time, especially in computer terms, expecting game companies to keep supporting software that holds them back..isnt a good thing. I also cant, and dont keep up with every console ever made, that would be way to expensive. So i pick one, and roll with it. PC(windows) has the most options for gaming, and its alot cheaper to keep up with in the long run. My Current computer i got in 2018, im now looking at upgrades for the first time since i purchased it.(mostly graphics card and more memory).

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Sugerrion.9724 said:

What part of "ten years ago I bought a behind-the-curve machine" makes you think I meant anything remotely similar to "keep up with every system that is made"?  After that, it was seven years before I bought another.

And I didn't mention Macintoshes because they *are* a different case, not applicable to my comments about XP and 32-bit.

All I'm saying here is.  Not everyone has the same kind of choices, or can afford to upgrade.  Some people depend on what little they get, to survive.  They might have enough to say, pay for internet, but let's face it. Most computers today are modestly expensive, even if you build your own you're still looking at a rather good chunk of change.   Even if windows itself said hey we're upgrading to windows 11, which by the way they are saying such a thing,

Doesn't mean that other people out there, can afford the next thing that comes after xp, or after windows 7, or after a switch.  In the long run. The companies will make the money, but those who can't work, those who can't make any sort of living, those who say might have it harder than what we can imagine, they are the ones who get left behind.   And its important for this community to understand that

Announcements like this one, DO, end up hurting some of the customers that have spent years with this company.

There is frankly no reason for anyone to still be on a Windows XP machine as their main rig in 2021. This is a 20 YEAR OLD operating system at this stage. I understand there are people who can't afford to buy computers every year, but I mean, really...20 years? We've had 5 major releases of Windows since XP. Windows XP came out in 2001. Think about that. I am sorry, but there is a point where genuinely old things have to drop off support in order for the game to grow and evolve.

32-bit support should go away. 64-bit has been prevalent in the mainstream since Windows 7 released in 2009 - 12 years ago.

As for Mac, I guess ANET has looked at what percentage of the user base plays on it and decided it wasn't worth it.

The nature of technology is that it constantly evolves. GW2 has to move on to things like DX11 and such for the future if they are going to stay relevant past EoD and support gameplay and graphical efforts they want to take the game.

Edited by Faridah.8431
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Sugerrion.9724 said:

All I'm saying here is.  Not everyone has the same kind of choices, or can afford to upgrade.  Some people depend on what little they get, to survive.  They might have enough to say, pay for internet, but let's face it. Most computers today are modestly expensive, even if you build your own you're still looking at a rather good chunk of change.   Even if windows itself said hey we're upgrading to windows 11, which by the way they are saying such a thing,

At the end of each month, put a ten dollar(1) bill in a jar.  The jar is there, in part, for emergencies, but once there's enough excess in there above a minimum amount of "safety cushion", what's left can be used for other things.  Leave that excess to accumulate for a little more than four years, and you can spend $500 on a new computer.  If you can't afford to feed a ten-spot to the jar each month, you probably need to cut back on something else, and shouldn't be worrying about videogames.

And how many of the people in that situation are actually spending money on GW2?  (No, I don't mean "how many are playing", but "how much money are they spending".)

(1) Or pounds or euros or whatever your local currency is.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sugerrion.9724 said:

What gamer is still using Windows XP or a 32-bit system in 2021? Please...

And no comment on Apple products. :classic_wacko:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sugerrion.9724 said:

All I'm saying here is.  Not everyone has the same kind of choices, or can afford to upgrade.  Some people depend on what little they get, to survive.  They might have enough to say, pay for internet, but let's face it. Most computers today are modestly expensive, even if you build your own you're still looking at a rather good chunk of change. 

Absolutely false. 

https://www.amazon.com/HP-EliteDesk-800-G2-SFF/dp/B072BGSTQJ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=i5-6500+computer&qid=1627431196&refinements=p_36%3A1253506011&rnid=386442011&s=electronics&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-Business-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B07K6YG7YY/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=i5-6500+computer&qid=1627431148&refinements=p_36%3A2421880011&rnid=2421879011&s=pc&sr=1-3

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-Desktop-i5-6500-Keyboard/dp/B082WKDP6F/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=i5-6500+computer&qid=1627431532&refinements=p_36%3A30000-40000&rnid=386442011&s=electronics&sr=1-3

There are many systems like that everywhere on Amazon. Heck, two of these choices can be paid in installments.

Even Chrome and Firefox have dropped XP support lol. If your computer isn't even suited to run a web browser safely, then it's probably a sign you need to buy something new. And if you get hacked, you're going to have to buy a new comp anyways, and any loss of personal information is going to be more than a few hundred dollars

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2

If you can afford to buy the End of Dragons expansion, you can afford to upgrade to something newer than XP. I agree that XP is the best windows has ever been, but that's because windows has never been very good. XP is not so good that you should ignore the blatant security issues that come with using a long since retired OS.

I don't just want to be negative though. Don't want to buy a new OS? You don't have to! Plenty of excellent Linux distros out there. I'm personally a Fedora user. Linux isn't supported I hear you say? Let me introduce you to my friend Lutris

https://lutris.net/games/guild-wars-2/

between Lutris and Proton most windows games work just fine on Linux.

As for Mac, you can thank apple for that one. 

• Like 2