Ranger Solo Roaming WvW Build

Vaux.7502

Hey guys, returning to the game after a 4+ year hiatus, considering playing ranger as I love the mobile, bursty playstyle of a roamer in this game.  For WvW, I'm having trouble deciding between playing core or soulbeast, and also trying to figure out what the best gear setup is.  I see a lot of berserker recommendations, but I always tended to learn more towards maurader builds.  Is one outshining the other right now?  I've also seen valk thrown around for ranger, so really just confused as to how to build it.

4 hours ago, ZeroSkitzo.5403 said:

I recommend soulbeast simply for never worrying about your pet dying. Also, shout out to @Trevor Boyer.6524 and his video from June for how to build one for reference. Here’s the link: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/96488-how-to-build-a-proper-sic-em-soulbeast-video/page/5/

Good luck!

Unfortunately that video is no longer available.  😞

32 minutes ago, Vaux.7502 said:

Unfortunately that video is no longer available.  😞

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Soulbeast_-_Sic_'Em_Roamer

Use that one a base and adjust to you gameplay adding more armor and whatnot. That build is very noob friendly, just remember to keep the range. 

@Trevor Boyer.6524 video was very good but unfortunately Twitch deletes videos older than 30 days. 

Edited by anduriell.6280

Soulbeast is dead simple really. Beast mastery, WS and soulbeast. Durability runes. We heal as one, dolyak stance, protect me, sicem, one wolf pack. 

now you have crazy burst damage but also enough sustain to win nearly every 1v1 encounter and you should be able to 1vX easily. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

On 8/3/2021 at 10:58 AM, bigo.9037 said:

Soulbeast is dead simple really. Beast mastery, WS and soulbeast. Durability runes. We heal as one, dolyak stance, protect me, sicem, one wolf pack. 

now you have crazy burst damage but also enough sustain to win nearly every 1v1 encounter and you should be able to 1vX easily. 

Why am I getting “confused” reactions here? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

On 8/7/2021 at 2:49 PM, mistsim.2748 said:

I like the Trailblazer shortbow/staff Druid the most for roaming. It's slippery AF and can't really lose to anything 1v1.

Going to second this. 

About the only downside to it are classes that have access to a lot of cleanse and / or defensive abilities like invuln and block.  Then it becomes more of a 'who gets bored first' situation.  But in like 95% of other situations you win if you play your cards right.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 8:10 AM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

You're getting confused faces because lots of ranger mains want to pass it off as a meme build that only works versus bad players, but they forget that WvW is filled with bad players.

How is boonbeast a meme build tho, lol. Like if I was giving out my glass setup that I run 90% of the time sure that’s questionable… but ws bm ranger is Like  THE standard. Only NM variant can beat it but it has very little condi cleanse so… 

• Confused 1

If you'll ever be playing with groups go Diviner instead of Berserker. The damage loss is negligible and its a huge boon to allies, literally, and is also one of the tankiest solo damage setups.

Oh, and permanent Quickness from Longbow. 😆

I run Diviner gear, Pack runes, Soul Pastry+Fruitcake, LB/GS and Stanceshare.

Also, remember you can take two full sets of equipment and three builds for free. So you can throw in a pure/max DPS build in there to 100-0 players even on mounts for fun. Its not good for roaming though, such builds are too easily countered away from the safety of objectives.

Or you can play a mixture of power LB for small scale and condi SB +Trapper runes for roaming.

Another popular build is the "Marksman" SB+LB exploiting bow switching for CC while always at range kiting. Its very dangerous but also very hard to play.

All roaming builds work best on Soulbeast, sadly. Druid's only used for ZvZ right now, and Core Ranger has literally no advantage except having a swappable pet, which has its uses (e.g for Smokescale), but otherwise isn't worth worrying about since SB gets free pet revive with every merge.

Edited by Hannelore.8153

44 minutes ago, bigo.9037 said:

How is boonbeast a meme build tho, lol. Like if I was giving out my glass setup that I run 90% of the time sure that’s questionable… but ws bm ranger is Like  THE standard. Only NM variant can beat it but it has very little condi cleanse so… 

I know. But anything with that utility bar setup gets lambasted as "only working against afker's and noobs." I mean I run that with exotic grieving gear and 100-0 people, but then maybe its just a difference between the NA scene and the EU scene 🤷‍♂️ 

• Confused 1

On 8/10/2021 at 12:01 PM, Hannelore.8153 said:

If you'll ever be playing with groups go Diviner instead of Berserker. The damage loss is negligible and its a huge boon to allies, literally, and is also one of the tankiest solo damage setups.

Oh, and permanent Quickness from Longbow. 😆

I run Diviner gear, Pack runes, Soul Pastry+Fruitcake, LB/GS and Stanceshare.

Also, remember you can take two full sets of equipment and three builds for free. So you can throw in a pure/max DPS build in there to 100-0 players even on mounts for fun. Its not good for roaming though, such builds are too easily countered away from the safety of objectives.

Or you can play a mixture of power LB for small scale and condi SB +Trapper runes for roaming.

Another popular build is the "Marksman" SB+LB exploiting bow switching for CC while always at range kiting. Its very dangerous but also very hard to play.

All roaming builds work best on Soulbeast, sadly. Druid's only used for ZvZ right now, and Core Ranger has literally no advantage except having a swappable pet, which has its uses (e.g for Smokescale), but otherwise isn't worth worrying about since SB gets free pet revive with every merge.

Druid is braindead easy roaming...so much so that I switch to SB for more of a challenge lol

On 8/10/2021 at 4:54 PM, bigo.9037 said:

The NM variant has more upfront defense against sudden power spike thx to Protective ward and in terms of cleansing they're almost similar if you decide to run evasive purity. But yeah the build is not unique, just another tanky boon bruiser bunker roaming, in the same category we have holosmith and scrapper , both offer better survival options if heavily outnumbered and still prove to be useful during teamfights. We also have condi/power herald which can be prove to be a challenge , same story with well played d/p or s/d thief as both can rip boon, with s/d coming on top.

Boonbeast is strong ....in WvW thx to better stats availalbility while completely fails in PvP where instead holo/scrapper/herald still hold the whole table......I don't agree with those who gave you confused emotes...but I don't agree with you either, as right now soulbeast is indeed a "meme" build for wvw only, thx to unnerfed dolyak stance and cele gear

• Confused 1

On 8/12/2021 at 3:14 AM, Arheundel.6451 said:

The NM variant has more upfront defense against sudden power spike thx to Protective ward and in terms of cleansing they're almost similar if you decide to run evasive purity. But yeah the build is not unique, just another tanky boon bruiser bunker roaming, in the same category we have holosmith and scrapper , both offer better survival options if heavily outnumbered and still prove to be useful during teamfights. We also have condi/power herald which can be prove to be a challenge , same story with well played d/p or s/d thief as both can rip boon, with s/d coming on top.

Boonbeast is strong ....in WvW thx to better stats availalbility while completely fails in PvP where instead holo/scrapper/herald still hold the whole table......I don't agree with those who gave you confused emotes...but I don't agree with you either, as right now soulbeast is indeed a "meme" build for wvw only, thx to unnerfed dolyak stance and cele gear

Dolyak stance does indeed need a nerf. I wouldn’t call all of slb a meme though, there are lots of variations that don’t rely on cele stats. Power WS with durability is quite common. And also very hard to kill 1v1. 

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, bigo.9037 said:

Dolyak stance does indeed need a nerf. I wouldn’t call all of slb a meme though, there are lots of variations that don’t rely on cele stats. Power WS with durability is quite common. And also very hard to kill 1v1. 

More than a nerf a relocation of the strike damage reduction into Bear. 
And reduce the CD in pvp as consequence. 

Putting everything in one skill as means to balance is not very good balance in my opinion. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, bigo.9037 said:

I'd rather play a game where you can expect always a different type of build to face.....I'd hate to have a game where every single ranger I meet is using "protect me" and Lightning reflex...because everything else is hot garbage. The stability and immunity to immobilize/chill/cripple is what makes Dolyak stance good...people can have their nerf by removing the dmg/condi reduction is redudant regardless

Edited by Arheundel.6451
  • Like 1

Not sure how Dolyak is even out of line with all the other defenses classes get.  We have engi 'mini me' that's immune to everything, thieves with 'spin to win' that's immune to everything, daredevils with a million evades, spellbreakers with infinite disengage skills, guardians with block and aegis for days...

Dolyak is remove three movement imparing condis, give some stability and some damage reduction.  Against boon strip or heavy pressure the stab is meaningless, and damage reduction only does so much.  People that pop it just to YOLO away are better off with like lightning reflexes and stone signet, because you can get all the removal and everything that way anyway.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Not sure how Dolyak is even out of line with all the other defenses classes get.  We have engi 'mini me' that's immune to everything, thieves with 'spin to win' that's immune to everything, daredevils with a million evades, spellbreakers with infinite disengage skills, guardians with block and aegis for days...

Dolyak is remove three movement imparing condis, give some stability and some damage reduction.  Against boon strip or heavy pressure the stab is meaningless, and damage reduction only does so much.  People that pop it just to YOLO away are better off with like lightning reflexes and stone signet, because you can get all the removal and everything that way anyway.  

Is not that dolyak is super strong, it is that comparing that stance with the rest that one seems over bloated.

Distributing the effects it brings to other stances and make the CD shorter in pvp would be better from my point of view. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 8:49 PM, mistsim.2748 said:

I like the Trailblazer shortbow/staff Druid the most for roaming. It's slippery AF and can't really lose to anything 1v1.

Nothing better than seeing a poor soul, who didn't invest in cleanses, panicking and jumping while being perma immobed. 

Also, access to so many dazes, other cc and high mobility(with staff) makes druid a pain to fight against. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Is not that dolyak is super strong, it is that comparing that stance with the rest that one seems over bloated.

Distributing the effects it brings to other stances and make the CD shorter in pvp would be better from my point of view. 

We should consider what other professions bring to the table, soulbeast is already overnerfed in PvP and only now it seems apparently prot holo will see nerfs next week, with sustain reductions and CD increases. Now unless I see the same nerfs being extended to wvw also..I see no reason why dolyak stance should be nerfed in wvw too. Outside 1v1 what else do you excel at on ranger that other professions don't do exponentially better? Let me play professions for what they're supposed to be, if ranger cannot be one of the strongest 1v1 class..then I would have zero reason to use it.

• Like 1

I see your point but dolyak is an over bloated skill, it simply does too much. That’s bad from a balance standpoint any nerf to that skill would impact the spec too much. 

i would love that damage reduction in bear instead in dolyak which would make better sense as it is a 4k heal in 30s cd which gives nothing if you aren’t fighting a condition based enemy. 

Giving the damage reduction to that stance would make better sense as it would get better value than currently has. 

Then other stances also need a bit of buff like stunbreak in gryphon instead might which it does make no sense into a mobility stance.

And to add bleeds to vulture stance instead of might, I see the point of adding that extra damage in vulture but  to enforce the stance it needs to apply more conditions instead adding more burst to it so it’s more difficult to clear the effects.

On OWP I’m conflicted, that stance overperforms against single targets but is very underwhelming  in any other situation. Any nerf to damage or output would make the skill unusable. 

As balancing I would add an splash effect up to 3 foes around the target, but it would do less damage/ distribute the damage the more foes that are impacted. This would mean without really nerfing  the skill the damage can be mitigated just being around allies.
It could also add the might by enemy strike in exchange to reduce the base / multiplier as means to this skill to have some momentum instead one button-insta damage. 

And it would add some cleave for the soulbeast which definitely is in need of some. 

But this are just my thoughts about how to balance  stances so have a higher ceiling while being rewarding for new players. 

Edited by anduriell.6280
Smol corrections & grammar
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 5:02 AM, Arheundel.6451 said:

We should consider what other professions bring to the table, soulbeast is already overnerfed in PvP and only now it seems apparently prot holo will see nerfs next week, with sustain reductions and CD increases. Now unless I see the same nerfs being extended to wvw also..I see no reason why dolyak stance should be nerfed in wvw too. Outside 1v1 what else do you excel at on ranger that other professions don't do exponentially better? Let me play professions for what they're supposed to be, if ranger cannot be one of the strongest 1v1 class..then I would have zero reason to use it.

When was the last time you met a boonbeast in wvw playing dolyak protect me? That setup is so incredibly stupid and requires 0 skill to play and win a 1v1 with. If by excel in 1v1 you mean turning your brain off while chipping your opponents health down then i want nothing to do with it. I think a lot of ppl will agree sustain based metas and builds + boons = bad time and unbalanced gameplay vs someone who doesn’t invest their life savings into getting 50% boon duration and 2800+ armor.

• Like 1