Glancing: community poll and suggestions

Lonecap.4105

Glancing: community poll and suggestions  

35 members have voted

1. 1. I think glancing:

• 1) Is too strong, and it should be changed so that it still reduces damage by 50% but doesn't negate critical hits
    • 2) Is too strong, and it should be changed so that weakness applies only to the next hit (like blind)
    • 3) Is too strong, and it should be changed to 33% down from 50%
    • 4) Is too strong, and it should be changed in X way (comment)
    • 5) Is fine as it is

Glancing could be changed if need be to allow for more consistent damage reduction rather than random rng. But whatever decision is made, keep in mind that there are builds (very squishy builds) that rely on weakness as a paramount defense. Just like other builds really on the protection boon. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stallic.2397 said:

Glancing could be changed if need be to allow for more consistent damage reduction rather than random rng. But whatever decision is made, keep in mind that there are builds (very squishy builds) that rely on weakness as a paramount defense. Just like other builds really on the protection boon. 

That's true but there are some builds, also very squishy, which are severely (disproportionately) affected by weakness as it stands.

12 minutes ago, Touchme.1097 said:

If I wanted to play a game where everyone can one shot everyone else and there were no defensive mechanics or conditions I would play something else. I am happy the way it is.

That'd be a fair comment if I was suggesting removing weakness entirely. All of the polls suggestions still allow weakness to prevent burst.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t necessarily have an issue with how weakness functions; my issue is with its prevalence. Fighting on node, in a team fight, you’re basically fighting with perma-weakness (cleanse aside, obviously). The problem is exacerbated by the fact that it has zero impact on condi builds. 

Edited by crewthief.8649

3 hours ago, crewthief.8649 said:

I don’t necessarily have an issue with how weakness functions; my issue is with its prevalence. Fighting on node, in a team fight, you’re basically fighting with perma-weakness (cleanse aside, obviously). The problem is exacerbated by the fact that it has zero impact on condi builds. 

I keep telling myself the same thing but Conditions have their own set of things to deal with such as taking time to apply, can have their time reduced with modifiers, can have their damage entirely negated.

3 hours ago, Shao.7236 said:

I keep telling myself the same thing but Conditions have their own set of things to deal with such as taking time to apply, can have their time reduced with modifiers, can have their damage entirely negated.

Yeah… but the topic is about weakness. I’m not trying to kick the hornets nest as it pertains to power versus condition damage; as it stands, there are no conditions that hamper condition damage. Power on the other hand…

4 hours ago, crewthief.8649 said:

Yeah… but the topic is about weakness. I’m not trying to kick the hornets nest as it pertains to power versus condition damage; as it stands, there are no conditions that hamper condition damage. Power on the other hand…

Weakness has always been the bane of power burst builds, honestly it should affect condition damage too, but there'd be a lot of calculations going on in that case considering ticking condis will have to take account of the source weakness, and every tick of bleeding from that source would have to roll a 50/50  to glance or not, spread that out against multiple targets, and how many have weakness, it gets messy real fast. 

6 hours ago, crewthief.8649 said:

Topic is about "glancing" not weakness, otherwise you'd have to talk about the that that weakness also reduce endurance regeneration.

If for EoD ANet introduce traits or skills that allow the character to only suffer glancing hits from it's foes, would the current glancing effect be "balanced"? (In fact, I'm curious to know why such skills and traits are yet to be a thing)