Which Player Profession/Elite Spec would be the most powerful in the world of Tyria?

Tempest.8479

With all the hype surrounding the new elite spec reveals and beta weekends, I thought it would be a fun thought experiment to consider which current profession/elite spec would actually be the most powerful if you ignore gameplay balance, and instead consider how they would actually perform in Tyria. Here are some ground rules to get everyone started:

• Each profession would be limited to the skills available to players. While it would be easy to use the feats of the most powerful npcs in-game as examples, those are the exceptions. I think the players' skills would be a more accurate representation of what a generally skilled practitioner would look like if they honed their skills for combat and adventuring.
  • All skills/profession mechanics would function identically as they do in-game. Can a scourge manifest sand shades to create protective barriers even without a grain of sand in sight? Absolutely. Can a ranger tame an ever-increasing stable of juvenile animals by simply walking up to them and charming them within seconds? You bet. Can a warrior, considered a master of weapons, pick up and fire a gun? Impossible. These are Tyrian magics and rules we're dealing with. That means professions would have to abide by the weapons they can currently use and their skills would manifest the same effects, no matter how unrealistic they might seem.
  • All damage numbers would be disregarded. Numbers in the game are are often dictated by philosophies that help create a healthy game environment, but are hardly realistic representations of how weak or powerful those skills would actually be in the world of Tyria. Instead, skills should be considered for the effects themselves (and how strong you think they are), and how they would play out if a dev wasn't able to nerf or buff them at a moment's notice.
  • Many skills would be unable to distinguish between enemies and allies. While there are clear exceptions, plenty of skills in the game do not seem like they could prevent all collateral damage to allies or the environment around them. This means that while it would seem reasonable for a Mesmer to cast an illusion that only its target could see, friends and foes alike would be set ablaze if they were standing inside a lava font.
  • It's important to note that the best armor, weapons, and even structures are made from inherently magical materials and are magically reinforced, but those are few and far between. I doubt the run-of-the-mill Seraph guards or Iron Legion sentries are being equipped with the best of deldrimor steel, or that most structures are built with those exotic materials and magical protections in mind.

After taking all those things into consideration, these are my top 3:

Mesmer (Chronomancer)

A Mesmer is hands-down the most powerful profession imo. While it might not seem like the most destructive, it's the profession with the most powerful utility. They are the embodiment of the expression "mind over matter." They reality-warping, mind-bending magic Mesmers employ can turn even the most powerful enemies against themselves or their allies. It doesn't matter how much physical destruction you're capable of if you can't think straight. A well-placed illusion or spell could do everything from creating a distraction to crippling enemies' psyche, and that's not even delving into the ungodly potential of skills like portal or time warp. Additionally, these illusions can begin to feel all too real for an enemy when they start duplicating the spells of their master or suddenly shatter to devastating effect. Add onto that the Chronomancer's ability to desync from the flow of time to cast spells, only to reset everything about themselves to do it all again once they return? While also being able to bend pockets of time and space to the benefit of allies and the demise of enemies? It's a wrap before you even know it. Very literally if the Chronomancer casts well of precognition.

Elementalist (Weaver)

This is easily the profession with the most destructive potential by far. Being able to command the elements to summon meteor showers, create seismic shockwaves, and even transform into a literal tornado would decimate large swathes of enemies and structures alike. The outcomes of many a battle would likely be determined by how many Elementalists were present on each side, and how much damage they were allowed to inflict. That being said, an Elementalist might be too destructive for its own good. While the raw power of the elements is the most physically destructive, not all battles can be won with sheer force. What good is an earthquake if you are likely to bring down the walls around you and your allies? How feasible is it to cast a lightning storm on a crowd without hurting or even killing your friends that might be engaged with the monsters? Not all battles are fought on an open field where it's easy to let loose without concern for the people or environment around you. This is where a Weaver shines. A sword-weilding Weaver demonstrates a greater care and focus into directing the awesome forces under their control into more precise strikes in front of or immediately around them, without losing the truly devastating potential of a dagger or a staff should they need it.

Thief (Deadeye)

While this might be a more controversial pick, I think a Thief would definitely be in the upper echelon of GW2 professions. The practical applications of its utilities and weapons make for the ideal adventurer and deadly combatant. Equipped with the most mobility and agility, not to mention a deceptiveness that rivals a Mesmer, a Thief could easily turn the tides of a battle without anyone realizing what just happened. And that's not even addressing the elephant in the room: stealth. It doesn't matter how many fireballs, flesh golems, or channeled warband members you can create if you can't see what you're supposed to hit. Thieves can render themselves invisible for minutes at a time, and are even capable of moving faster than normal and regenerating health while cloaked if they've properly specialized. And if this wasn't a powerful combo on it's own, a Deadeye takes things to new heights (and distances). Even the hardest hitters on a battlefield would be pretty much toast if an expert marksman fired off a round so powerful it could only be known as death's judgement from stealth while remaining safely perched atop a wall several hundred feet away. And even if all else fails and a monster is too strong for physical ammunition, then no other profession is as capable of getting away relatively unscathed.

Those were my top 3. If you've read this far, what do you think? Do you agree? Disagree? Is there something you think I'm not taking into consideration? Think eles are overrated? Somehow want to make a case that a warrior could even crack the top 5? Let me know! Let's discuss.

Are necromancers still limited to just having six or so minions, apart from temporary Jagged Horrors, or are they able to create armies?

Even with the limited number, I think necromancers would probably be quite a bit more powerful if not limited by game balance constraints, as the more powerful minions become powerful soldiers in their own right. It's possible that they'd still simply get blown away by the destructive magic used by some other professions, since minions aren't going to be wearing ascended-quality armour, but they'd probably still be quite a bit more powerful than GW2 balance allows them to be. 

3 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Are necromancers still limited to just having six or so minions, apart from temporary Jagged Horrors, or are they able to create armies?

Even with the limited number, I think necromancers would probably be quite a bit more powerful if not limited by game balance constraints, as the more powerful minions become powerful soldiers in their own right. It's possible that they'd still simply get blown away by the destructive magic used by some other professions, since minions aren't going to be wearing ascended-quality armour, but they'd probably still be quite a bit more powerful than GW2 balance allows them to be. 

Yeah necro was going to be my honorable mention but I felt the post was already too long lol. I didn't think it cracked my top 3 because it tends to be slow and kind of limited from range, which I think paints a massive target on any Necro's back. That being said the defensive potential of a scourge could be huge and a reaper would be absolutely deadly if anyone let them get close. And minions, even if limited to like a dozen with jagged horrors are still super strong. If you've ever watched Castlevania I would imagine it would kind of play out like a forgemaster with their night creatures. Even if they can't summon armies like that, put a few necros together and you might get similar results.

I don't know how fair it is for Holosmith. It pretty much is the Green Lantern of the lot, and materializes about any weapon/shielding right as they attack/brace and being only limited by imagination and heat level. The concept holds a lot of possibly untapped potential.

Edited by MrForz.1953

Point to consider is that engineer has access to a kitten orbital laser.

Yes, we have satellites in the atmosphere which can nuke targets with extreme accuracy all over the planet if we desire to. And these lasers are powerful enough that they are still hitting the target if they have to shoot through an entire mountain (since ingame we can use them even in dungeons which are obviously underground or inside a mountain, as said).

Edited by Kodama.6453
  • Like 1

Revenant is kinda unfair in that regard. It's like Rogue from X-men, it doesn't matter how good you are, revenant can just channel a legend and do the same thing. It's like kids at the playground "oh you pick mesmer, I channel Xera and beat you".

Speaking of mesmer, devs have said that chronomancers don't literally control time, just create the illusion of time manipulation. They still have powerful telepathy and telekinesis, though. 

Edited by RabbitUp.8294
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Point to consider is that engineer has access to a kitten orbital laser.

Yes, we have satellites in the atmosphere which can nuke targets with extreme accuracy all over the planet if we desire to. And these lasers are powerful enough that they are still hitting the target if they have to shoot through an entire mountain (since ingame we can use them even in dungeons which are obviously underground or inside a mountain, as said).

My general unfamiliarity with engineer as a whole means I completely forgot that existed haha. Thinking about it, especially considering your great observation on it being able to shoot through basically anything, might make orbital strike one of, if not the most destructive skill in the game. One problem I can see, though, is that it might run into the same problems as a lot of ele skills, where it might be too destructive for its own good. A laser that can shoot down from the atmosphere through a maintain might vaporize any allies unlucky enough to be near it. It's also on a pretty long delay and has a pretty obvious targeting light that might just end up alerting enemies to move out of range and catering unintended damage to the wrong area. A holo's prime light beam might be more useful because it's more directional and doesn't risk bringing down everything on top of you. 

1 hour ago, RabbitUp.8294 said:

Revenant is kinda unfair in that regard. It's like Rogue from X-men, it doesn't matter how good you are, revenant can just channel a legend and do the same thing. It's like kids at the playground "oh you pick mesmer, I channel Xera and beat you".

Speaking of mesmer, devs have said that chronomancers don't literally control time, just create the illusion of time manipulation. They still have powerful telepathy and telekinesis, though. 

Rev is tough for me to judge, because it always strikes me as channeling only a portion of a powerful entity's magic. Rogue could steal all your powers, but a rev can only be an imitation of someone or something much more powerful imo. 

And you're right about the Chronomancer, but I still think their base capabilities even with just the manipulation of enemies' and allies' perceptions to create the illusion of time manipulation still makes them the most op

5 hours ago, Tempest.8479 said:

Rev is tough for me to judge, because it always strikes me as channeling only a portion of a powerful entity's magic. Rogue could steal all your powers, but a rev can only be an imitation of someone or something much more powerful imo. 

I would agree, it seems like rev would have to give themselves completely and be possessed by the legend to channel their full power. Though there are two notable exceptions, they might be mainly fanservice, but they have significant impact on this thought-experiment: Jade Winds and Rite of the Great Dwarf. Not even Shiro and Jalis themselves could use those skills on-demand. Shiro unleshead the Jade Winds once upon his death, and never had access to that power after his death, and Rite required all the dwarves performing the ritual together. 

Now if we ignore that, rev can still channel someone much more powerful to compensate for the power loss. Using the same example, Xera was significantly stronger than the typical mesmer, so a rev channeling her would have to be at least on par with a player mesmer. 

Anyhow, if we remove revs from the equation, I agree with your conclusion. Mesmer and ele seem to wield the most power.

Edited by RabbitUp.8294

Core ele as most ppl in tyria would not need to fight and the ability to make water fire and move air and earth with magic is more useful then any other type of magic. As a person would you realty want to keep death things around to work a field or a living wepon or even just some ppl.

Sadly this game is not geared for non combat so ele is the worst in the game because of that.

Mesmer would be the most powerful I think politically. They can create clones, disappear and have the power to transform. There is a natural elegance to them as well that mimics nobility. Either politics or they're the best circus/street performers, maybe thespians. 

Thieves are absolutely a world powerful profession. Their guilds control the underworld in each city and they run the black market. They assassinate for the right price. Their poisons are lethal and have killed every leader who ever has had an "accidental" death.

Elementalists will probably have to deal with agriculture within society since they control elements. Growing up, they attend some magic academy and at the same time have an apprenticeship with farmers and growers.

Warriors are a dime a dozen. You see them at the bar causing trouble, guarding merchant goods and on the frontlines as a common grunt. Everyone knows someone claiming to be a warrior.

Guardians are high class. They own land and are on posters around Divinity's Reach. The churches love them and the people love them even more. They have a smile worth a million gold and their armor always looks like it has been recently polished.

Rangers are the forest watch, nature's protectors and the lone person in the woods that wanted to get away from it all. They aren't the most powerful either as a group or individually but they aren't to be messed with.

Necromancers bring the dead back to life. That's pretty much it. They're feared and people have a prejudice against them. I think they're the most powerful individually since they control the dead and can curse anyone.

Engineers probably have something like silicon valley. They're the inventors and with inventions, comes the big bucks. They'd most likely be the richest.

Revenants are probably seen as a myth or legend. They're powerful. I don't see them hanging around society much.

I don't think I followed the rules but this is how I see how it would go down in the world of Tyria.

Bonus Lists

Most powerful in ability:

1. Necromancers

2.Elementalists

3. Mesmers

Most influential in society:

1. Guardians

2. Mesmers

3. Thieves

Best to hang out with:

1. Warriors

2. Rangers

3. Engineers

Who not to start a beef with:

1. Thieves

2. Mesmers

3. Necromancers

Richest monetarily:

1. Engineers

2. Guardians

3. Thieves

Sexiest Professions:

1. Mesmer (because of illusions. Natural Instagram filters ftw)

2. Ranger (Rugged outdoors people)

3. Revenant (Dark, Broody and can set the moody)

4. Guardian (had to add the poster boys and girls)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Chronomancers.

Being able to control time is the most powerful thing that could ever exist. Chronomancer can literally split in two different time lines. You could switch them and jump into that one you win.

The real problem is when you can't see you oponent and your fight is over before it starts, because Deadeyes don't care about fighting. They just want your death.

On 8/14/2021 at 5:31 AM, Verdict is Vengence.6912 said:

Mesmer would be the most powerful I think politically. They can create clones, disappear and have the power to transform. There is a natural elegance to them as well that mimics nobility. Either politics or they're the best circus/street performers, maybe thespians. 

Thieves are absolutely a world powerful profession. Their guilds control the underworld in each city and they run the black market. They assassinate for the right price. Their poisons are lethal and have killed every leader who ever has had an "accidental" death.

Elementalists will probably have to deal with agriculture within society since they control elements. Growing up, they attend some magic academy and at the same time have an apprenticeship with farmers and growers.

Warriors are a dime a dozen. You see them at the bar causing trouble, guarding merchant goods and on the frontlines as a common grunt. Everyone knows someone claiming to be a warrior.

Guardians are high class. They own land and are on posters around Divinity's Reach. The churches love them and the people love them even more. They have a smile worth a million gold and their armor always looks like it has been recently polished.

Rangers are the forest watch, nature's protectors and the lone person in the woods that wanted to get away from it all. They aren't the most powerful either as a group or individually but they aren't to be messed with.

Necromancers bring the dead back to life. That's pretty much it. They're feared and people have a prejudice against them. I think they're the most powerful individually since they control the dead and can curse anyone.

Engineers probably have something like silicon valley. They're the inventors and with inventions, comes the big bucks. They'd most likely be the richest.

Revenants are probably seen as a myth or legend. They're powerful. I don't see them hanging around society much.

I don't think I followed the rules but this is how I see how it would go down in the world of Tyria.

Bonus Lists

Most powerful in ability:

1. Necromancers

2.Elementalists

3. Mesmers

Most influential in society:

1. Guardians

2. Mesmers

3. Thieves

Best to hang out with:

1. Warriors

2. Rangers

3. Engineers

Who not to start a beef with:

1. Thieves

2. Mesmers

3. Necromancers

Richest monetarily:

1. Engineers

2. Guardians

3. Thieves

Sexiest Professions:

1. Mesmer (because of illusions. Natural Instagram filters ftw)

2. Ranger (Rugged outdoors people)

3. Revenant (Dark, Broody and can set the moody)

4. Guardian (had to add the poster boys and girls)

Warriors are the best bros

NPC don't dodge but usually got high health pool to compensate. This is what would really impact the ranking.

A thief is dependant on dodge, stealth and flanking. An AI would probably waste most of the potential of stealth and systematically try to flank it's foes, making the profession the worst for NPC.

Ranger have both active defense and healing sustain built in. I wouldn't like to face a NPC soulbeast, I think it would be very annoying to kill.

An engineer NPC using optimally kits would probably be a difficult foe.

Elementalist with a big health pool, abusing active defense... I guess the only saving grace would be the low critical hit chance due to the lack of fury.

Mesmer... Would probably suffer from the same flaw than the thief. I'd put it pretty low on the food chain.

Necromancer... Well this wouldn't be any different from now. You'd only need to prevent him from gaining momentum in barrier generation.

Guardian have lot of active defense, CC, sustain, cleanse... Very difficult foe if it got high health pool instead of the dodge.

Revenant... It would basically be like fighting a smokescale in HoT... 1 at a time could probably be OK, put them in group and it would become a calamity.

Warrior wouldn't fare better than the average current NPC.

My ranking if NPC had professions:

1- Guardian

2- Ranger

3- Elementalist

4- Engineer

5- Necromancer

6- Revenant

7- Mesmer

8- Warrior

9- Thief

Mesmers seem to be the canonically most powerful profession, even before elite specs (when they gained the ability to CONTROL TIME). Especially in the base game and novels, the feats Mesmers are capable of are absolutely ridiculous. Jennah deceives Kralkatorrik. A random Orrian Mesmer deceives the commander and the entirety of the Pact. Kasmeer reveals the Tower of Nightmare. So on and so forth. Whenever something monumental happens, a Mesmer is often behind it or prevents it.

It seems to me like Mesmer is basically Anet's baby, and they show it a lot of favoritism in the game universe. This makes sense, because Mesmers are essentially Anet's unique trademark class, with all of the other core classes falling pretty cleanly into common archetypes.

Edited by Duke Blackrose.4981