Thief will be dead when EoD launches

NorthernRedStar.3054

11 hours ago, Keitaro Dragonheart.9047 said:

Unlike you and your crying about thief (your tears are delicious btw), there are legitimate reasons why thief players are upset about Willbender. 

As a matter of fact, I sincerely hope whatever Thief gets as an Elite is even more "annoying" and "frustrating". Harvesting the salt mines will be a very enjoyable experience. 💗

Just don't do it on warriors all the time in WvW plz 😞

We look ez prey for many thieves due to counters. Chase more guardians guys, don't make warriors your enemies, we already are on anti-depressants! 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Just don't do it on warriors all the time in WvW plz 😞

We look ez prey for many thieves due to counters. Chase more guardians guys, don't make warriors your enemies, we already are on anti-depressants! 

Previous quote is probably all bark given that the "crying" is just as loud, also Warrior has an ironically decent fighting chance against Thieves. The fright among Warriors is understandable, but the knee-jerk reaction is too strong among Thieves

• Confused 2

15 hours ago, Raizel.1839 said:

Let's hope! 

Unfortunately that won't be true until they fully delete stealth.

Stealth has little agency when players are paying attention and actually rotating properly with a non-full-on-sloth team comp. 

Stealth doesn't matter when most "meta" skills these days are either AoE or track. Stealth doesn't do much if the opponent can port and catch up to you as soon as you emerge. Stealth doesn't do anything for you on its own, it requires a build that's able to compliment.

Stealth won't be compensating for willbender and harbinger's superior damage and equivalent mobility. Because PvP is not a single player survival mode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/14/2021 at 4:35 PM, DragonSlayer.1087 said:

plot twist: Teef will now steal health from foes to heal their allies. Vampire Healer. 🤡

I can easily see a greatsword-based Oni elite spec work like this. Especially if it is one with the tradeoff of "instead of stealth, gain some other thing and never ever be able to stealth ever".

On 8/13/2021 at 10:34 PM, saerni.2584 said:

I'll be making a thief balance thread once we've seen the EOD thief specialization and played through some of the betas. 

I think thief is in an ok place compared to most professions now.

But looking at the strengths of some (Willbender) of the new elite specs (unless nerfed from today) it will be necessary to boost thief survivability, damage, or both. 

Worth remembering that nearly all new elite specs may be completely OP compared to existing simply because it'll push people to get the expansion to actually be competitive. They want to push people to buy it after all - and having a variety of reasons (story, to be competitive) means more sales.

So I wouldn't count on stock/HoT thief getting buffs or new specs getting nerfs. The imbalance may be precisely what they're intending. 

Edited by Chips.7968
  • Like 1

If it makes you peeps feel better, I've crunched the numbers on Willbender's movement skills and cooldowns as well as traits it could combo and the current meta DP Daredevil will still be a good chunk faster than it.

Willbender is definitely fast, faster than Herald and faster than Sword Mirage, but it's not Daredevil fast when you crunch the numbers.  You can theory craft it towards getting almost in the same ballpark as Daredevil but you're definitely twisting the build in weird ways (No one is going to take both Flash Combo and Judge's Intervention, they'll choose between the two for example) and also you have to make assumptions on things like them getting the return on Flash Combo every time. 

Edited by mortrialus.3062

13 minutes ago, mortrialus.3062 said:

You can theory craft it

It would be nice if I wasn't the only one of maybe three in the thief community that did this. You all laughed at ebola. But then it set the record for fastest nerf reaction when it finally became FotM.

Edited by Zacchary.6183
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ironic, isn't it? Anti-Thieves calling Thieves drama queens, while screeching hysterically into the void about literally everything when it comes to thief gameplay/mechanics. 

"Waaah, teef did something that mildly inconvenienced me! OP! Nerf teef!" - Anti-thieves.

Edited by Keitaro Dragonheart.9047
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Keitaro Dragonheart.9047 said:

Ironic, isn't it? Anti-Thieves calling Thieves drama queens, while screeching hysterically into the void about literally everything when it comes to thief gameplay/mechanics. 

"Waaah, teef did something that mildly inconvenienced me! OP! Nerf teef!" - Anti-thieves.

Nah m8, this thread is precisely about teef mains started complaining about a spec that was not even released for beta testing. It's not even a teef spec, it's a guardian spec.  

"while screeching hysterically into the void about literally everything when it comes to thief gameplay/mechanics." 

I'm only seeing the reverse here in this thread, where teefs have been screeching hysterically about something that turned out to be subpar. Oh the irony.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Celestia.9128 said:

Nah m8, this thread is precisely about teef mains started complaining about a spec that was not even released for beta testing. It's not even a teef spec, it's a guardian spec.  

"while screeching hysterically into the void about literally everything when it comes to thief gameplay/mechanics." 

I'm only seeing the reverse here in this thread, where teefs have been screeching hysterically about something that turned out to be subpar. Oh the irony.

You see the reverse in this thread, but in the entire Thief, PvP and WvW forums, since 2012, it's been nothing but bad players crying and whining about one thing or another. And considering the Willbender got things thieves have been asking for for years, I'd say their anger is justified. Unlike carebear anti-thief whining, which is just that; whining.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thieves, anti-thieves, whining, anti-whining…

The reality remains: Willbender has a lot of movement and shadowsteps but doesn't seem to burst very hard. Compare to Shiro Herald, for example. (Note how Dragonhunter ends up putting most of its burst in its utility skills.)

Ah once again, devs nerf every aspect of thief class with at times some completely illogical reasoning and then forget that very reasoning when it is about giving those aspects/spells/numbers to other classes. Color me surprised. ZzzzzzzzZZz.

• Like 2

I'm just bummed that if it is scepter, it means 4 mainhand and 2 offhand weapons (8 combinations total), when focus would have given us 3x3 (for a convenient 9 and more dual-wield skills, as was once our other hallmark).

Hopefully it isn't the condi-spec that previous changes have hinted at, though I have no idea how a scepter and (likely) shadow magic would promote better boon-sharing for a support-spec, without heavily relying on its utilities and steal -- mostly since bleed and poison are the two lowest-performing conditions only nominally better than confusion.

Reasoning insofar is:

1. Daredevil was repackaged and "upgraded" Acrobatics.
  2. Deadeye expounded upon either Deadly Arts (top row) or Trickery (bottom row) for DPS or boon-share builds, respectively.
  3. Ergo, the hitherto unnamed "scepter teef" will probably focus on Shadow Arts and/or Critical Strikes.
Edited by fluffdragon.1523
  • Like 1

I've been playing gw2 since it came out.
I am a main thief, I play both pve, pvp and wvw and the truth is that I have been very tired for a few years to see how badly thief has always been treated. d
Honestly, when I read that the weapon of the new spec would be the scepter, it made me want to uninstall the game, however I will wait to see the beta and at most for EoD to come out, but I am a bit skeptical.
You just have to compare how overpowered the new necro is with 33k life and doing a lot of damage; Even if you sacrifice 50% of your life for blight, you still have more of the life a thief has to have to do "decent" damage, apart from all the cc, and boons it can give. On the other hand, Willbender's abilities are like those of core thief or deadeye, but improved and with much less cd.
All this cannot sit well with any player who is main thief, imo.

Edited by eduminator.7845
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, eduminator.7845 said:

You just have to compare how overpowered the new necro is with 33k life and doing a lot of damage; Even if you sacrifice 50% of your life for blight, you still have more of the life a thief has to have to do "decent" damage, apart from all the cc, and boons it can give. On the other hand, Willbender's abilities are like those of core thief or deadeye, but improved and with much less cd.
All this cannot sit well with any player who is main thief, imo.

I keep seeing Harbingers absolutely melting in WvW because it is, by design, the necro spec with the least defense and sustain. They do necro things and have respectable CC and boons but their burst and escape potential isn't all that much better than a Reaper's, and nowhere near a Thief's. (Folks who miss the Pistol ricochet, I feel for you.)

Willbender has a lot of mobility but it's also limited to Guardian weapons and has a lot of animation locking. Their only insta-cast port — something that can truly compare to Steal or Shadowstep — is (core-guard) Judge's Intervention. And Flash Combo is a modest burst but leaves you without an egress if they dodge any of the flurry attacks. For most applications, you'd be much better off replacing a Thief with a Shiro Herald than a Willbender.

Edited by ASP.8093

On 8/14/2021 at 11:09 PM, CratZII.5872 said:

thiefs are very unfun in wvw and always flee from the fight so it's just tedious to try to roam with anything else. I'm glad if thief becomes useless. Good riddance

You main Necro, worst mobility class (for now). Complaining about best mobility class. Why? WvW isn't balanced around scrims or 1v1's. WvW is full of reveal-traps/NPC's. What else do you want besides Necro being the most OP broken spec, in ALL categories of the game, for months on end.

What else do you need to get carried throughout the game?

Edited by Terrorsquad.2349
grammar
  • Like 1