Balance Update Preview for August 17, 2021 - Ranger

Dragana.1497

Ranger

• Fixed a bug in which a stowed pet would be unstowed when entering or leaving water.
  • Fixed a bug in which the pet would be stowed after mounting a skimmer on water and then dismounting on land.
  • Fixed a bug in which the pet would be stowed when mounting a flying mount after gliding.
  • Maul: Fixed a bug in which this skill would go on full cooldown when interrupted.

Druid

• Celestial Avatar: Players can now use the mount key while in Celestial Avatar. Doing so will automatically deactivate Celestial Avatar. Any remaining Astral Force is lost upon deactivating Celestial Avatar in this way.

Soulbeast

• Fixed a bug in which swapping Build Templates could leave players merged with a pet not in their current build. Swapping between soulbeast Build Templates while merged with a pet will now unmerge your pet, and then automatically remerge after the template swap completes.
  • Fixed a bug in which swapping Build Templates could leave players merged with a pet even when they no longer have the soulbeast specialization slotted.
  • One Wolf Pack: Fixed a bug that caused damaging strikes from this skill to fail to occur on certain large bosses, such as Tequatl the Sunless.
  • Beastmode: On entering or exiting water, if players were previously merged with their pet, they will now automatically remerge after transitioning to water or land.

Source: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/99594-balance-update-preview-for-august-17-2021/

I love the fix for soulbeast interacting with water.

I'm unsure of the need to add mount ability while you are in CA.  I guess it is for completeness, but you'd have to somehow enter CA, get out of combat while still in it, and then mount? Pretty sure most of the AF would be drained by time you did this so guess losing all remaining is fine? 

Although there is an interesting idea of mounting while in CA and activating celestial shadow because CA ends.  That could be really useful for escape sequences...

Oh nice bug fixes.

So dear Anet, could you please fix quickness on pets and precision on pets?

Or generally could you revise pets?

I am pretty sure ranger comes last, so my hopes are high that pets will get some love, but please tell us whats up Anet. Give us some infos. Tell us why ranger comes so late, dont give it the druid treatment and slap on a random class mechanic that got plugged from the air because the initial mechanic didnt work.

Also: Give druid some love. 

The water thing is huge, especially in WVW.  But it seems Anet treats that as "giving a ranger love" and not the "bug fix" that it actually is.  Rangers need some much needed tuning and balance.  I hope the Espec has potential... I've held out changing mains this long but the EOD ranger spec will either be what keeps me playing ranger or what makes me retire the class.

9 hours ago, anduriell.6280 said:

While mounted you are unaffected by stealth, so no celestial shadow synergy. 

Hmm, true.  Then I really hope it requires you to be out of combat before working or that's going to be a pain if someone accidently hits the key.  

I mean it SHOULD only work out of combat because of how mounts work now, but you never know...

CA and mounting is just an extension of all the other "form" fixes they did. Can't mount in-combat anyways, all it means is one less button click if you're in CA before mounting at the cost of draining all the astral force.

Edit: the fact that it drains all of it instead of 50 % of whatever is remaining upon deactivation feels more like a middle finger to druid to be honest. As if losing any remaining astral force at all after leaving isn't unnecessary enough to begin with.

Edited by Lazze.9870

19 hours ago, Lazze.9870 said:

Edit: the fact that it drains all of it instead of 50 % of whatever is remaining upon deactivation feels more like a middle finger to druid to be honest. As if losing any remaining astral force at all after leaving isn't unnecessary enough to begin with.

Seems consistent to me, actually.  Same thing happens to holosmith.  All forge heat is lost when mounting.

15 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Seems consistent to me, actually.  Same thing happens to holosmith.  All forge heat is lost when mounting.

For CA this is only a downside. For Holo? You'd be losing heat when out of combat and mounting anyways. Heat is something you build up in forge, astral force is required to enter CA (and a full bar at that). Consistent in one way, but the difference in abilities makes it okay for one mechanic and less okay for another.

This is a minor annoyance though, you'd never want to mount while in CA. They just give us the option to. Losing 50 % of the remaining astral force while leaving it at all and the fact that it has stayed that way since launch despite the numerous nerfs to druid is just something that came to mind reading this, and something I'm baffled that is still in the game. Especially in PvP with the 20 second avatar cooldown relatively slow build up. As if this mechanic needs more penalities.

Edited by Lazze.9870

Hey, has anyone elses pets been swapping after this update without them meaning to? Problem is of course since we can't swap in combat, its rather annoying when suddenly I have the wrong pet out and dismount thinking I had the right one. 

Just noticed it after this bug fix to us swimming while merged (and by that I mean dipping our feet in for a second then out again) 

Edited by Gorem.8104