Favourite Pet

Anemone.5320

What's your favourite pet regardless of how "useful" it is? I really like the birds, but I can't justify getting locked with them in combat when there are better/more optimal for my build options. I've been thinking how more diverse rangers would be if they weren't forced to have a smokescale/wyvern/ gazelle in combat.

Favourite Pet

This is where I'd put my reef lurker.IF I HAD ONE!!!

Jokes aside, I don't play ranger alot, but my favourite pet has always been the whiplash devourer. Spiders, scorpions, crabs, these are the more interesting pets for me. And the option to get a devourer right from the start has been the reason why I have chosen to make my ranger a charr.

@"Anemone.5320" said:What's your favourite pet regardless of how "useful" it is? I really like the birds, but I can't justify getting locked with them in combat when there are better/more optimal for my build options. I've been thinking how more diverse rangers would be if they weren't forced to have a smokescale/wyvern/ gazelle in combat.Even if you like one pet you will end up the only pets which work: birds, smoke and gazelle.I personally like the F2 from wolf and jaguar, it brings interesting gameplay but the rest of skills those pets bring to the build makes them undesirable.

Cats and Wolves are pretty cool.

But so very useless (Also, lmao at Jungle Stalker's 3 second cast time for a Might buff equal to a blast finisher in a fire field...)

At least Fanged Iboga is pretty decent now I've swapped to a Condi SB build. Fairly long range pull and being able to vomit out some Confusion stacks is nifty. With it also being a Deadly pet so not useless when merged (I still find it dumb that you're artificially limited to 1/5th of the pet pool by being SB because of the stats gained from merging, even before you start to add in looking for pets that have F2's that don't suck which already has been limiting Core Ranger's pet selection forever...)

I'm partial to the reef drakes. Their scales are so detailed compared to most other drakes (Frost Drakes are a close second) and the rounder, bigger head combined with the way drakes carry themselves gives me bearded dragon vibes. Helps that I have a bearded dragon right now.

for pvp soulbeast I use snow owl (mobility, damage while downed) and smokescale (gap close/stealth). I try to be on smokescale before going into combat, but sometimes it doesn't work and I get screwed as I can't swap while in combat.
For pve, it is situational. Recently I run lynx and iboga. Underwater salamander drake and blue jellyfish.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@anninke.7469 said:Fernhound. No other pet is leafy enough. Having your own running salad always at hand can be useful (especially when you run out of head foliage).

What about Jacaranda and Fanged Iboga?

Jacaranda leaves are better as a seasoning, they're too spicy on their own. And ibogas are a little not safe for consuption, although the effects can be very interesting (both if you do and don't manage to not get bitten). That's why they are only slightly less favourite than fernhounds.

Mechanics aside, the raven and wolf are definitely my favorite. It's a shame that the mechanics for both of them are rather lackluster. Wolf is at least ok for a PvP condi, but PvP condi itself is the problem there. Raven is just inferior because it's a "versatile" pet, even though birds are great.

Melandru's Stalker. Had it eve since GW1. I p lay with Smokescale now, but Melandru's Stalker has always been my fave. =^o.o^= All hail kittah! Savior of the cosmos! Holder of the universal yarn ball of harmony! Most favored of Melandru's beasts! Slayer of poptarts! Enemy of the great god Lagg!

• 1 month later...

As a bad-skilled player, I've started to like Jacaranda for its extra heals while being merged, especially as I just reached the latest Icebrood Saga zone and struggle to "re-learn" the game XD. As a pet itself, its F2 and the lightning attack have been quite nice. Otherwise, Smokescale, or Eagle/Lynx for Condi.

Hyena (because you summon a 2nd!) and rune of the ogre for the 3rd pet.
I pvp for fun, not seriously or anything. I fought an engineer last night.. I am human and slotted Hounds elite for more fun. So he was down and had 5 pets.. Guy was like WTH in chat... lol REminds me of Bonedancer in Dark Age of Camelot.. All those pets )

Looks wise, my favourite pet is the black moa, which I unfortunately do not have unlocked and probably won't for at least a year or two.

I have every pet that isn't locked behind GW1 and of those, looks wise I would my favourite is the juvenile marsh drake. Too bad it sucks. :(