Gathering tool selection. — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Players Helping Players

Gathering tool selection.

I'm done with normal gathering tools, tired of carrying around multiple sets and sometimes running out of tools. Normally i search in forums, Reddit, YT and the answer is there, but gathering tools have changed a lot over time, so answers vary a lot.

I'm going to buy infinite tools.

• I don't care about "flashy".
  • I'm not going to spend ungodly hours farming, i just farm when i have to go somewhere for something else. (metas, world bosses, etc). Or dailies.
  • Farm speed is not decisive, since i won't have 10 tons farming winterberries.
  • I'll be buying gems, my playing time is somewhat scarce.

I don't really care about profitability or ROI, i just want good tools for my money. Extra gold is always appreciated, i like to be self sufficient in game, craft my stuff. For the skins and cosmetics (and support the studio), i just use CC.

It seems Volatile Magic and Unbound Magic are good and popular. Or i could buy something gems->gold and buy the glyph off the TP? Or it's better to have non matching tools and buy individual tools?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Wolfb.7025Wolfb.7025 Member ✭✭✭

If speed, look and any other bonus is not of your interest, then you might get the Unbreakable Gathering Tools.
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unbreakable_Gathering_Tools
    They're similar to normal gathering tools, but they have infinite uses, they come in a pack with the 3 gathering tools and costs 2400 gems.

August sales will come next month, cross fingers for these tools to get on sale, Anet is very generous with this and been putting them at 50% cost for a totlal of 1200 gems for the previous two year's august sales, a must buy in your case.
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gem_Store/Anniversary_Sales

Years just pass like trains
    I wave but they don't sloow dooown~ don't slow doown~♪

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@disForm.2837 said:
    It seems Volatile Magic and Unbound Magic are good and popular. Or i could buy something gems->gold and buy the glyph off the TP? Or it's better to have non matching tools and buy individual tools?

If you want volatile or unbound you should get those sets directly because ...
    Unbreakable Tools - 2,400 gem
    Optimistic price for 3x glyph of volatility
    600g -> 1900gems
    Optimisitc price for 3x glyph of the unbound
    180 -> 600gems
    Total price for tools
    4300gems for volatility
    3000gems for unbound

Price for the bundles that include the glyphs
    2700gems

If your main goal is getting materials for your own use then you might want to consider glyph of the prospector, tailor, leatherworker and forester as well. They aren't necessarily the most profitable but they add a steady supply of materials you might need.

• disForm.2837disForm.2837 Member ✭✭

Thanks, indeed separate it's more expensive. It seems a normal "glyphed" ones will be.

Thanks, read them.

@Wolfb.7025 said:

Thanks, they actually heavily discount normal unbreakable tools compared with the rest. Seems the way to go. August-September, let's see what's in offer.

• Lan Deathrider.5910Lan Deathrider.5910 Member ✭✭✭✭

Get the unbreakable ones. I got a set and miss them every time I switch characters....

As far as glyphs go, focus on that afterwards, you can buy a few every so often from the TP.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:
    Get the unbreakable ones. I got a set and miss them every time I switch characters....

As far as glyphs go, focus on that afterwards, you can buy a few every so often from the TP.

Specifically when the glyph you want shows up in the current Black Lion Chest loot table. Although you could just set a buy order for what you think is a good price if you don't mind tying up a chunk of gold for a while.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

Specifically when the glyph you want shows up in the current Black Lion Chest loot table. Although you could just set a buy order for what you think is a good price if you don't mind tying up a chunk of gold for a while.

the glyphs are not always available on the TP?

@disForm.2837 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

the glyphs are not always available on the TP?

They are/can be but when they are not in the current Black Lion Chest's loot table they tend to be more expensive because the chests drops is the source for the ones being listed on the TP.
    https://www.gw2tp.com/item/88045-glyph-of-volatility-unused?full=1 click on All and you can easily see the increases and decreases to price/supply in the graph

• Strider.7849Strider.7849 Member ✭✭✭

@disForm.2837 said:
    I'm done with normal gathering tools, tired of carrying around multiple sets and sometimes running out of tools. Normally i search in forums, Reddit, YT and the answer is there, but gathering tools have changed a lot over time, so answers vary a lot.

I'm going to buy infinite tools.

• I don't care about "flashy".
    • I'm not going to spend ungodly hours farming, i just farm when i have to go somewhere for something else. (metas, world bosses, etc). Or dailies.
    • Farm speed is not decisive, since i won't have 10 tons farming winterberries.
    • I'll be buying gems, my playing time is somewhat scarce.

I don't really care about profitability or ROI, i just want good tools for my money. Extra gold is always appreciated, i like to be self sufficient in game, craft my stuff. For the skins and cosmetics (and support the studio), i just use CC.

Any help appreciated.

As someone who needs to maximize my time as well due to work, girlfriend, life in general - reducing time spent gathering means more time to do other things in game I enjoy. These are the tools and glyphs I recommend and what I personally use:

Consortium harvesting sickle: it is the fastest sickle for gathering plants. I also recommend slotting this with Glyph of reaping (AoE gather) which will greatly speed up gathering in a maxed out guild hall, clusters of plants in open world, WvW towers and keeps, and a home instance if it's your personal one (doesn't work in other people's - shame on you anet for removing this from players who purchased this with real money after the fact). You can animation cancel the after cast as soon as the pick strikes the plant as well.

Unbound magic gathering axe: this axe chops trees slightly faster than other tools available, but what sets it apart is the 3rd strike double gathers. So on trees with an extra strike or farming guild hall etc, you can do a full gather in one usage. I recommend Glyph of industry (50% faster gathering). This will let you chop trees lightning fast, which prior to this tool and Glyph was my most hated thing to do.

Unbound mining pick: This tool gathers faster than other mining picks and does it differently by giving a wind up and then a beam that quickly gathers the mineral node 4X. I still find this one personally too slow and want to change it in the future to a faster option if one becomes available though, but this is the best we got. In this slot I recommend putting a Glyph that gives a profitable option such as earning leather/volatile magic/watchword sprockets etc. The reason being is there is a lot of mineral nodes, many of which are rich nodes, if you're gonna have to sit there while this gathers might as well have it be more profitable.

If you aren't willing to mix and match and only want to buy one full set, the unbound gathering set is the best way to go in terms of efficiency and time saving.

I'm typing this while at work, so if you have any other questions feel free to respond and ask away.

Lastly, if efficiency isn't the most important option I recommend going on YouTube and looking at videos of how each of the gathering tools works and looks, which is what I do/did.

• @disForm.2837 said:

I've bought multiple sets of Volatile and Unbound tools for my several characters, and never regretted it. Its so nice when it comes time to purchase things from map vendors that I've accumulated plenty of Vol/Unbound mainly from farming my home instance.