Do you guys think/hope LW S1 will ever be replayable? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Do you guys think/hope LW S1 will ever be replayable?

Title is mostly self-explanatory, it could be temporary/permanent, could be in 2 years from now, could come back once again as temporary content,as a "summer festival" throughout june and july, it could even have the cadence of LW S3/4 in delivery starting right after S4 ends, making more time for next expac. Idk im just sad about its current state :(

<1

Comments

• Please yes, would love to see some of those dolo instances return to the game in the repeatable format

• If what Mike O'Brien stated is anything to go by, then, no, I don't think LW Season One will return.

• TheOrlyFactor.8341TheOrlyFactor.8341 Member ✭✭✭✭

It would be nice but I don't expect it to happen. Considering my dissatisfaction with the story since Personal Story as well, it's probably for the best too. I can only set the bar so low before I just throw the bar away, shrug, and walk off.

Asura fanatic.
    World's largest Zojja fan.
    Illconceived Was Na fanboy.

• Mewcifer.5198Mewcifer.5198 Member ✭✭✭✭

They should make some of the major fights replayable as fractals. Maybe mix the fractal lore with raids to make them 10 man events, since many of the fights were HUGE.

But mainly I want them to make a better season 1 recap in the game. The season 1 recap you get from that npc tells the players practically NOTHING.

My list of suggestions for GW2
    Max Masteries | 18k AP

• Just a flesh wound.3589Just a flesh wound.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017

I don’t think it’s ever going to happen. It would take to long to remake and would cut into the time they have to make new content.

Quotes from Anet, we have to talk about Season 1... again

(Time to recreate LS1)
    ANet Ben
    It would be longer than 6 months.

Redditor: If it had been even a minor priority when this was first requested back at the start of Season 2 -- nearly three years ago! -- it'd have been done by now, surely?
    ANet Ben
    That would have pushed back everything a lot. Season 3 would be behind, the expansions would have been behind, new content is a better use of developer time. I wish Season 1 had been built differently, but alas it was not.

Redditor: This makes me so sad. The whole notion of making content then REMOVING is such a bad idea. You have that content already there, the problem is it's not instanced? I want that content and I want those achievement points and I'll never stop wanting them. So as great as LS2/LS3/Expansions are, there's always that horrible sad bit there. You have basically taken months of work and flushed them down the toilet.
    ANet Ben
    Yeah, it makes me sad too! And yes one of the problems is much of the content is not instanced, and theres also a TON of bugs in that content that would need to be fixed, since our game code and tools have changed so much since then.

Redditor: (edited):
    but more than 6 months seems a bit weird, no? Season 1 lasted from 22.10.2012 to 18.03.2014. That's 17 months with a ton of those patches being things that are either still in the game in the form of fractals, EOTM, PvP maps, festivals, etc., or things that have since been replaced by something else but should still be available to you guys (destroyed Lions Arch map). Sure there is a lot of redesign to be done, but it sounds incredibly unrealistic to me that even rebuilding all the lost content from the ground up should take more than 6 months since the entire planning phase for things like the LW1 dungeons isn't really necessary.
    ANet Ben
    If things went smoothly, with the entire living world team plus extra veteran developers working on it, maybe 6 months is theoretically possible. But with old content, things rarely go smoothly. Issues pop up that you weren't expecting that increase the amount of time required. And even if it was feasible in 6 months, taking all those developers off of new content just isn't worth it IMO. We have way cooler things that we can work on.

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017

PS here's an earlier thread with a similar question and my more detailed explanation of why it's not going to happen (at least not in the next couple of years)
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/162042/#Comment_162042

It includes a lot more links to comments from developers going into more detail about some of the difficulty, along with my personal assessment of the pros and cons (expressed by others) regarding LS1 (short version: it will be nearly impossible for ANet to match the expectations of LS1 veterans and non-veterans, because some of what made LS1 great was what lead to ANet abandoning the "just in time" style of releases that made LS1 what it was, both good and bad).

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

Do they not have a team specifically meant for fractals? Could that team not make fractal versions of the fights and events? It wouldn't have to be the living story team who does it, so it wouldn't have to stall progress of living story content. But I don't know exactly how anet separates their content teams so -shrug-

Max Masteries | 18k AP

• Just a flesh wound.3589Just a flesh wound.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017

@Mewcifer.5198 said:
    Do they not have a team specifically meant for fractals? Could that team not make fractal versions of the fights and events? It wouldn't have to be the living story team who does it, so it wouldn't have to stall progress of living story content. But I don't know exactly how anet separates their content teams so -shrug-

Which specific fights and events? Most of the fights were map wide. The Marionette required a bunch of people, so did the battle for Lion’s Arch. They’d have to be completely rewritten and scaled down so that they could be done by 5 people instead of a full map of people. While I’m sure they could do something like that it would be a shadow of the real thing and would have to be done completely from scratch. There’s no way they could take one of the LS1 events and make it fit fractals without a complete redo. So, how often does the game get new fractals? That is the first clue of the time it would take. The second thing is that instead of getting a brand new fractal it would be remade, downsized old content.

(and I can just see the forum whining about getting remade, downsized old content instead of brand new fractals).

• Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭

I know the chances are slim to none, but I'd like to actually experience Season 1.

Wishful thinking, I know.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn | Zeena

Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

Which specific fights and events? Most of the fights were map wide. The Marionette required a bunch of people, so did the battle for Lion’s Arch. They’d have to be completely rewritten and scaled down so that they could be done by 5 people instead of a full map of people. While I’m sure they could do something like that it would be a shadow of the real thing and would have to be done completely from scratch. There’s no way they could take one of the LS1 events and make it fit fractals without a complete redo. So, how often does the game get new fractals? That is the first clue of the time it would take. The second thing is that instead of getting a brand new fractal it would be remade, downsized old content.

(and I can just see the forum whining about getting remade, downsized old content instead of brand new fractals).

Oh god you are right. I can hear the whining already x_x

As for the map wide events, that's why would be interesting to make it like a fractal-raid hybrid for 10 people. Would not be as grand as the actual events, but it would at least be something for those who missed it. But, as people have already stated, anet doesn't seem to wanna do any of this and I don't really blame them.

I am one of the people who missed season 1 and I just wish anet made it easier for players to understand what happened. As I mentioned, the cutscene they give is basically nothing. I ended up having to go to the wiki and youtube to find out what happened.

Max Masteries | 18k AP

• @Mewcifer.5198 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

Oh god you are right. I can hear the whining already x_x

As for the map wide events, that's why would be interesting to make it like a fractal-raid hybrid for 10 people. Would not be as grand as the actual events, but it would at least be something for those who missed it. But, as people have already stated, anet doesn't seem to wanna do any of this and I don't really blame them.

I am one of the people who missed season 1 and I just wish anet made it easier for players to understand what happened. As I mentioned, the cutscene they give is basically nothing. I ended up having to go to the wiki and youtube to find out what happened.

What they have now to show new people isn’t good enough. They should invest in a series of videos with an NPC who can show the videos on demand. If they don’t want to do it themselves maybe they should look into some of the videos that players have made. I bet they could get permission to show the videos for free since the player would have his content seen by all the gw2 players.

• Tasida.4085Tasida.4085 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    If what Mike O'Brien stated is anything to go by, then, no, I don't think LW Season One will return.

This! And once again we are beating a dead horse (poor beastie). At least every couple of weeks this same topic comes up lol. It's been stated a few times it wont be back. Just content yourselves with the great vid that has been put out there.

(NOBL) rocking GW's since 2005, still rocking Sorrow's Furnace :P

• Leablo.2651Leablo.2651 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017

I haven't seen as much discussion about this, but wouldn't it be a low(er) hanging fruit to request the return of the old 55 TA path that was removed for Aetherpath? That too was content that got deleted for LS1 and it wasn't even temporary. As it was already instanced, it should be relatively straightforward to restore TA to the way it was and move Aetherpath to Fractals (or something, maybe too long for Fractals now that they're split up). As it is, Scarlet's presence in TA is now an anachronism, not just for the current state of the world but also the internal story of the dungeon.

• @Leablo.2651 said:
    I haven't seen as much discussion about this, but wouldn't it be a low(er) hanging fruit to request the return of the old 55 TA path that was removed for Aetherpath? That too was content that got deleted for LS1 and it wasn't even temporary. As it was already instanced, it should be relatively straightforward to restore TA to the way it was and move Aetherpath to Fractals (or something, maybe too long for Fractals now that they're split up). As it is, Scarlet's presence in TA is now an anachronism, not just for the current state of the world but also the internal story of the dungeon.

It wasn't removed for LS1; it was removed because they tried to fix the path and never could. Scarlet's presence isn't any more of an anachronism than fighting Mordremoth in DS or finding Zojja in CoE/story.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• Panda.1967Panda.1967 Member ✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    PS here's an earlier thread with a similar question and my more detailed explanation of why it's not going to happen (at least not in the next couple of years)

It includes a lot more links to comments from developers going into more detail about some of the difficulty, along with my personal assessment of the pros and cons (expressed by others) regarding LS1 (short version: it will be nearly impossible for ANet to match the expectations of LS1 veterans and non-veterans, because some of what made LS1 great was what lead to ANet abandoning the "just in time" style of releases that made LS1 what it was, both good and bad).

I'm pretty sure most of us are NOT expecting it to live up to the experience when LS1 was live... we just want it to be playable again. Allow us to experience the story and missions again. The video they gave us in its place does a poor job of explaining anything and is a terrible substitute for the story.

Please stop assuming I'm a male, I am female.

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭

I really hope they will come up with a shorter, instanced version or something... I would pay tons of money for it! I was busy with an other MMO when S1 happened so I missed the whole thing and I'm still kicking myself because of this mistake. :(

• Cuddy.6247Cuddy.6247 Member ✭✭✭

Nope. /5char

• @Panda.1967 said:

I'm pretty sure most of us are NOT expecting it to live up to the experience when LS1 was live... we just want it to be playable again. Allow us to experience the story and missions again.

What does "playable again" mean? We all have varying expectations based on what we experienced originally, what we heard about, or what we've seen since (or for the first time). If you read the quotes from the developers, there is literally no way to offer anyone the experience of the story or the missions right now. Work would have to be done, a lot of work. So while the sentiment is admirable — I, too, want to be able to see LS1 again — that's not sufficient to deciding to invest the time and staff to make it happen.

Would you really want to just experience the story done badly? Or run a bugged or overtuned (or undertuned) mission?

The question is: what will it cost to provide something else and what else could be done with those same resources? The devs have made it clear that just doing it all, never mind doing it well, would take all the resources used for the living world... and then some. Given the choice between e.g. LS5 and redoing LS1, they think more people are more likely to get more enjoyment from the former.

The video they gave us in its place does a poor job of explaining anything and is a terrible substitute for the story.

No question; I think even ANet has said they agreed it's not close to what they'd like to offer.

• @eduardo.1436 said:
    Title is mostly self-explanatory, it could be temporary/permanent, could be in 2 years from now, could come back once again as temporary content,as a "summer festival" throughout june and july, it could even have the cadence of LW S3/4 in delivery starting right after S4 ends, making more time for next expac. Idk im just sad about its current state :(

There allready IS a summer festival. And its still absent.

What the kitten was the point in building crown pavillion (noobs dont know its new) if its not being used?

Also i am fine with ls1 events as long as they dont give old rewards. Make new ones.

Hell if it means the game will exclude ls1 veterans from new drops so be it.

• Dashiva.6149Dashiva.6149 Member ✭✭✭

I could see the various bosses be rebooted and expanded as fractals. Other than that what is it really people want to do with LS1? The story was overall slow and meh. The content was mostly changing the enviroment drastically sprinkled with some events here and there, or meta events that just became a zerg grind. It didn't really deliver on storytelling the way that LS2 and LS3 has.

The best content from LS1 in my opinion that I would truly wish for everyone to experience at some point was the Twisted Marionette event, because that really required some effort on the community to coordinate and complete. Much salt, but good times. :)

• Zeefa.3915Zeefa.3915 Member ✭✭✭

Would I like LS1 back? Yes, sure, I'd like that.
    Do I think it will happen? No. With a small part of it already being placed into Fractals and pretty much all rewards having been made avaiable through other means, it just does not seem likely at all. Add to that what ANet have said about it.... yeah not gonna happen.

• HardRider.2980HardRider.2980 Member ✭✭✭

Very little in S1 can be repeated/brought back considering a lot of it was map wide events.. and dumbing it down for solo/5 man content would ruin what it brought us back then.

A City of Heroes never die... A City of Villains will never surrender... Neither City will be forgotten.

• I'd love it, I never got the chance to experience it

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm not expecting it to happen but I keep hoping it will.

We heard similar things about Super Adventure Box, the Mad Memories collection and Lunatic Inquisition - that it wasn't easy to add back in because it had been designed as a one-off and subsequent updates had made it impossible to just reactivate it as it was, it would take too much work to update it. But they all came back eventually.

Of course Season 1 is a huge project compared to any of those, or even all of them together. But I keep hoping that one day we'll hear that some people at Anet have been working on it in bits and pieces as and when they had a moment, or applying work they did for other things to it (e.g. fixing a bug/long standing QoL issue and then realising the same fix solves one of the issues with Season 1 and emailing the relevant people to let them know that hurdle is fixed) and one day it will all finally come together.

I imagine it happening at the same sort of pace as fan-made addons (because it's the same idea - people contributing whatever bits they can in their free time, as and when they feel like it), but with the possible advantage that everyone involved is fully familiar with the game and has access to all the original assets. But basically I'm expecting it to take about as long as things like the Skywind project - which is rebuilding the entire Morrowind game inside Skyrim so it can be played with the updated engine, graphics etc. So, several years at least.

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"I know that I'm born and I know that I'll die, the in-between is mine."

• Alga.6498Alga.6498 Member ✭✭✭✭

Living World Season 1 was actually a Living World. I wish it would be like this for our newer Seasons and not these "stuck in timeloops" maps and NPCs.
    Because these Open World events were amazing and exciting!! I loved it!

I like our new seasons too but they feel like.. you only do story and abit quests/hearts and then you are done forever of that map, unless you are one of those hardcore farmers. But that's it.

I am glad I played through S1 but I wish it would be more of "living" world rather than we currently got.

Also, I doubt we'll ever see the return of S1. How would you re-create that season? You were playing on Vanilla maps and you need to have lots of players in order the events would become successful. It would be awesome to replay that awesome season though... but ANet is ANet.

| Separatist | Nightmare Court | Inquest | White Mantle | Sunspears | Loyalists | Ascalon | Kryta | Ebonhawke | Elona | Istan | Kourna | Vabbi | Cantha | Luxon | Kurzick | 71 characters | "Rally to me, Ascalonians!" "Keep Ascalon in your heart." "May the Gods protect you." "Be blessed by the Six."

• If anyone wants to see what the fights in LS1 were like just go to Twilight Arbor dungeon and play the Twilight Assault dungeon. That dungeon is a very similar design of what happened all around Tyria when Scarlett and her forces attacked. Because of the way the LS1 was designed it would be near impossible to recreate. So some people did not experience it after it ended , maybe you should of been playing GW2 at the time. The idea was unique, because it was trying to be like real life in a way. You do not get to wake up do everything in your day you need to do and then the next day do the exact same thing (work does not count). But thanks to people complaining they missed LS1 we now have a repeatable LS design for LS2 and beyond

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

Hope? Absolutely..
    Think? No chance

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• Loosifah.4738Loosifah.4738 Member ✭✭✭

Quick answer, No.
    LSW1 was a lot of open world material.

• ThomasC.1056ThomasC.1056 Member ✭✭✭

LWS1 was in line with GW2's initial design : no more maps, but making the current maps evolve and feel living. Events meant to be epic. That kind of things.

Given the path followed by ANet since HoT (which was seemingly the last gasp of that initial design), there truly is no chance we'll see that ever again.

Look at that—you broke Scruffy's sarcasm meters. ~ Taimi.

• Neutra.6857Neutra.6857 Member ✭✭✭

I actually like the idea of a seperate instance on a timer that opens up due to some ley energy anomaly. You can go into that instance and it bring you to say the Twisted Marionett.

• Chickenooble.5014Chickenooble.5014 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017

No, it won't be replayable.

Yes, I hope they make it as a sequential series of fractals where Dessa provides some context as to what happened between the big events that you play through. The initial playthrough would be a long string of events from Season 1 that need to be played in order. You can only replay them once you get through the entire sequence.

• I don't care that much about being able to replay season 1 content myself, but I think the fact that the first chapter of this game's story is no longer in game is actually a gigantic problem. A player who enters the game at season 2 just sees all these characters appear randomly, with little to no introduction. Rox and Braham had their own S1 episode(s?) where they were developed, and that's completely unavailable to anyone playing today. I really think they need to do something about that, even if it doesn't require bringing the entire season back.

@typographie.1742 said:
    I don't care that much about being able to replay season 1 content myself, but I think the fact that the first chapter of this game's story is no longer in game is actually a gigantic problem. A player who enters the game at season 2 just sees all these characters appear randomly, with little to no introduction. Rox and Braham had their own S1 episode(s?) where they were developed, and that's completely unavailable to anyone playing today. I really think they need to do something about that, even if it doesn't require bringing the entire season back.

I missed a couple episodes of season 2, so when I started on living story content I was like "Who ARE these people?!"
    So, I went and bought what I had missed of season 2 in order to try and catch up. Only to still have the same question as before.
    And the cutscene anet gives as a replacement for season 1 is a steaming kitten.

Luckily I was able to find good information on youtube to catch up on the major events, but even then, there really isn't a good way to really see and know how I met these characters.

Max Masteries | 18k AP

• dusanyu.4057dusanyu.4057 Member ✭✭✭

LW 1 was too dependent on huge Open world events. to be replayable

• OriOri.8724OriOri.8724 Member ✭✭✭✭

I hope that it will one day be available in some form, I do not think it will be though

Eyyyy I unlocked signatures

• Zaltys.7649Zaltys.7649 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017

If not, they really should stop reusing the season 1 characters. Very few players play the same MMORPG for that long, so by now many players have never seen what happened in S1. And a lot of them also skip S2 since it's behind a paywall now. That's definitely not good for story cohesion, not knowing who Taimi, Rox, Canach et all are.

Sure, there's the short movie version of S1, but that barely mentions the NPCs.

• Ameepa.6793Ameepa.6793 Member ✭✭✭

I say no because I am always wrong.

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see some fractals for it, but I'm not expecting it.
    It might also make for decent raid content, if the numbers were adjusted.

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

@Rauderi.8706 said:
    I'd like to see some fractals for it, but I'm not expecting it.
    It might also make for decent raid content, if the numbers were adjusted.

Haha that would be quite a storm.. Bringing back long awaited S1 but only for raiders :D

• Magnus Godrik.5841Magnus Godrik.5841 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes, in fractal form most likely. We already got the molten boss, mai trin, aetherblade and a mash-up of the nightmare tower. I forsee a mash-up of battle of lions arch and scarlet sometime in the future.

• Oglaf.1074Oglaf.1074 Member ✭✭✭✭

Hope, yes.

Think, no.

Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

• OriOri.8724OriOri.8724 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Zaltys.7649 said:
    If not, they really should stop reusing the season 1 characters. Very few players play the same MMORPG for that long, so by now many players have never seen what happened in S1. And a lot of them also skip S2 since it's behind a paywall now. That's definitely not good for story cohesion, not knowing who Taimi, Rox, Canach et all are.

I mean, at this point Canach, Kasmeer, and Rytlock at least have had far more character development in LWS2/HoT/LWS3/PoF than they ever could have received in LWS1, so its becoming less of a problem with each release. All we are really missing is the introduction of Kasmeer/Canach/Marjory/Braham (who can die for all I care)/Rox, but most of them have had significant character development in content that is still accessible to anyone.

I mostly want LWS1 for the fights

Eyyyy I unlocked signatures

• Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2017

@Ameepa.6793 said:

Then your statement ("I am always wrong") is Wrong,
    so you're always right!
    But then your statement must be true, so you must be always wrong.
    That makes your statement false, so you must be always right
    which is the wrongliest thing of all

• Hyper Cutter.9376Hyper Cutter.9376 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Zaltys.7649 said:

If you talk to the NPC, you can ask her about the characters.

• Torolan.5816Torolan.5816 Member ✭✭✭

Maybe you can indeed remake it into fractals. Of course it would not be the same, but you could look at it from another perspective. Say the invasion of LA with the killing of scarlet in the end gets remade, but you fight one of the knights instead as endboss while the battle rages on around you.
    As much as i would hate it, Marionette could be turned into raid or once again be remade as a fractal where you man one plattform with 5 people. It were 5 people per plattform anyway if I remember well. Anet has already done this to a certain deegree, all of molten alliance and mai trin fractals are basically rehashs of ls1.

edited October 26, 2017

@Ameepa.6793 said:

Then the statement, "you are always wrong" is incorrect, which means, you are always right, which leads us to the fact that your stat

Then your statement ("I am always wrong") is Wrong,
    so you're always right!
    But then your statement must be true, so you must be always wrong.
    That makes your statement false, so you must be always right
    which is the wrongliest thing of all

I want that "The Wrongliest thing of all" as a title!

• I think the best thing they can do at this point is make a better summary. The cutscene and the NPC they added doesn't help lol. Anyone going from the personal story to the current summary of season 1 to season 2 is probably just as confused as the people who went from the personal story straight to season 2.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.