Do you guys think/hope LW S1 will ever be replayable?

eduardo.1436

Title is mostly self-explanatory, it could be temporary/permanent, could be in 2 years from now, could come back once again as temporary content,as a "summer festival" throughout june and july, it could even have the cadence of LW S3/4 in delivery starting right after S4 ends, making more time for next expac. Idk im just sad about its current state :(

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should make some of the major fights replayable as fractals. Maybe mix the fractal lore with raids to make them 10 man events, since many of the fights were HUGE.

But mainly I want them to make a better season 1 recap in the game. The season 1 recap you get from that npc tells the players practically NOTHING.

I love the idea. I am sure it's not going to happen anytime soon.

I don't think people recognize just how much effort it is going to be to make a repeatable version of LS1. Of course it's possible; it would just take an enormous amount of resources. And that seems like an unnecessary distraction, given that people are already jealous of ANet diverting any resources to anything that doesn't fit their idea of a better game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6pj6wm/one_path_ends_devs_here_ask_us_anything/dkprv68/

"Will season 1 ever be playable? There are players like me who would love to play it and even pay for it."
wrote:It's a question that comes up a lot. I have favorite moments I'd love to play again too. But we researched it a while back and realized that restoring and updating Season 1 content, and putting it into episode format, isn't particularly easier than making new episodes. And we think the community is better served with new episodes.

I don’t think it’s ever going to happen. It would take to long to remake and would cut into the time they have to make new content.

Quotes from Anet, we have to talk about Season 1... again

(Time to recreate LS1)ANet BenIt would be longer than 6 months.

Redditor: If it had been even a minor priority when this was first requested back at the start of Season 2 -- nearly three years ago! -- it'd have been done by now, surely?ANet BenThat would have pushed back everything a lot. Season 3 would be behind, the expansions would have been behind, new content is a better use of developer time. I wish Season 1 had been built differently, but alas it was not.

Redditor: This makes me so sad. The whole notion of making content then REMOVING is such a bad idea. You have that content already there, the problem is it's not instanced? I want that content and I want those achievement points and I'll never stop wanting them. So as great as LS2/LS3/Expansions are, there's always that horrible sad bit there. You have basically taken months of work and flushed them down the toilet.ANet BenYeah, it makes me sad too! And yes one of the problems is much of the content is not instanced, and theres also a TON of bugs in that content that would need to be fixed, since our game code and tools have changed so much since then.

Redditor: (edited):but more than 6 months seems a bit weird, no? Season 1 lasted from 22.10.2012 to 18.03.2014. That's 17 months with a ton of those patches being things that are either still in the game in the form of fractals, EOTM, PvP maps, festivals, etc., or things that have since been replaced by something else but should still be available to you guys (destroyed Lions Arch map). Sure there is a lot of redesign to be done, but it sounds incredibly unrealistic to me that even rebuilding all the lost content from the ground up should take more than 6 months since the entire planning phase for things like the LW1 dungeons isn't really necessary.ANet BenIf things went smoothly, with the entire living world team plus extra veteran developers working on it, maybe 6 months is theoretically possible. But with old content, things rarely go smoothly. Issues pop up that you weren't expecting that increase the amount of time required. And even if it was feasible in 6 months, taking all those developers off of new content just isn't worth it IMO. We have way cooler things that we can work on.

PS here's an earlier thread with a similar question and my more detailed explanation of why it's not going to happen (at least not in the next couple of years)https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/162042/#Comment_162042

It includes a lot more links to comments from developers going into more detail about some of the difficulty, along with my personal assessment of the pros and cons (expressed by others) regarding LS1 (short version: it will be nearly impossible for ANet to match the expectations of LS1 veterans and non-veterans, because some of what made LS1 great was what lead to ANet abandoning the "just in time" style of releases that made LS1 what it was, both good and bad).

Do they not have a team specifically meant for fractals? Could that team not make fractal versions of the fights and events? It wouldn't have to be the living story team who does it, so it wouldn't have to stall progress of living story content. But I don't know exactly how anet separates their content teams so -shrug-

@Mewcifer.5198 said:Do they not have a team specifically meant for fractals? Could that team not make fractal versions of the fights and events? It wouldn't have to be the living story team who does it, so it wouldn't have to stall progress of living story content. But I don't know exactly how anet separates their content teams so -shrug-

Which specific fights and events? Most of the fights were map wide. The Marionette required a bunch of people, so did the battle for Lion’s Arch. They’d have to be completely rewritten and scaled down so that they could be done by 5 people instead of a full map of people. While I’m sure they could do something like that it would be a shadow of the real thing and would have to be done completely from scratch. There’s no way they could take one of the LS1 events and make it fit fractals without a complete redo. So, how often does the game get new fractals? That is the first clue of the time it would take. The second thing is that instead of getting a brand new fractal it would be remade, downsized old content.

(and I can just see the forum whining about getting remade, downsized old content instead of brand new fractals).

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Mewcifer.5198 said:Do they not have a team specifically meant for fractals? Could that team not make fractal versions of the fights and events? It wouldn't have to be the living story team who does it, so it wouldn't have to stall progress of living story content. But I don't know exactly how anet separates their content teams so -shrug-

Which specific fights and events? Most of the fights were map wide. The Marionette required a bunch of people, so did the battle for Lion’s Arch. They’d have to be completely rewritten and scaled down so that they could be done by 5 people instead of a full map of people. While I’m sure they could do something like that it would be a shadow of the real thing and would have to be done completely from scratch. There’s no way they could take one of the LS1 events and make it fit fractals without a complete redo. So, how often does the game get new fractals? That is the first clue of the time it would take. The second thing is that instead of getting a brand new fractal it would be remade, downsized old content.

(and I can just see the forum whining about getting remade, downsized old content instead of brand new fractals).

Oh god you are right. I can hear the whining already x_x

As for the map wide events, that's why would be interesting to make it like a fractal-raid hybrid for 10 people. Would not be as grand as the actual events, but it would at least be something for those who missed it. But, as people have already stated, anet doesn't seem to wanna do any of this and I don't really blame them.

I am one of the people who missed season 1 and I just wish anet made it easier for players to understand what happened. As I mentioned, the cutscene they give is basically nothing. I ended up having to go to the wiki and youtube to find out what happened.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

Oh god you are right. I can hear the whining already x_x

As for the map wide events, that's why would be interesting to make it like a fractal-raid hybrid for 10 people. Would not be as grand as the actual events, but it would at least be something for those who missed it. But, as people have already stated, anet doesn't seem to wanna do any of this and I don't really blame them.

I am one of the people who missed season 1 and I just wish anet made it easier for players to understand what happened. As I mentioned, the cutscene they give is basically nothing. I ended up having to go to the wiki and youtube to find out what happened.

What they have now to show new people isn’t good enough. They should invest in a series of videos with an NPC who can show the videos on demand. If they don’t want to do it themselves maybe they should look into some of the videos that players have made. I bet they could get permission to show the videos for free since the player would have his content seen by all the gw2 players.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:If what Mike O'Brien stated is anything to go by, then, no, I don't think LW Season One will return.

This! And once again we are beating a dead horse (poor beastie). At least every couple of weeks this same topic comes up lol. It's been stated a few times it wont be back. Just content yourselves with the great vid that has been put out there.

I haven't seen as much discussion about this, but wouldn't it be a low(er) hanging fruit to request the return of the old 55 TA path that was removed for Aetherpath? That too was content that got deleted for LS1 and it wasn't even temporary. As it was already instanced, it should be relatively straightforward to restore TA to the way it was and move Aetherpath to Fractals (or something, maybe too long for Fractals now that they're split up). As it is, Scarlet's presence in TA is now an anachronism, not just for the current state of the world but also the internal story of the dungeon.

@Leablo.2651 said:I haven't seen as much discussion about this, but wouldn't it be a low(er) hanging fruit to request the return of the old 55 TA path that was removed for Aetherpath? That too was content that got deleted for LS1 and it wasn't even temporary. As it was already instanced, it should be relatively straightforward to restore TA to the way it was and move Aetherpath to Fractals (or something, maybe too long for Fractals now that they're split up). As it is, Scarlet's presence in TA is now an anachronism, not just for the current state of the world but also the internal story of the dungeon.

It wasn't removed for LS1; it was removed because they tried to fix the path and never could. Scarlet's presence isn't any more of an anachronism than fighting Mordremoth in DS or finding Zojja in CoE/story.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:PS here's an earlier thread with a similar question and my more detailed explanation of why it's not going to happen (at least not in the next couple of years)https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/162042/#Comment_162042

It includes a lot more links to comments from developers going into more detail about some of the difficulty, along with my personal assessment of the pros and cons (expressed by others) regarding LS1 (short version: it will be nearly impossible for ANet to match the expectations of LS1 veterans and non-veterans, because some of what made LS1 great was what lead to ANet abandoning the "just in time" style of releases that made LS1 what it was, both good and bad).

I'm pretty sure most of us are NOT expecting it to live up to the experience when LS1 was live... we just want it to be playable again. Allow us to experience the story and missions again. The video they gave us in its place does a poor job of explaining anything and is a terrible substitute for the story.

@Panda.1967 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:PS here's an earlier thread with a similar question and my more detailed explanation of why it's not going to happen (at least not in the next couple of years)

I'm pretty sure most of us are NOT expecting it to live up to the experience when LS1 was live... we just want it to be playable again. Allow us to experience the story and missions again.

What does "playable again" mean? We all have varying expectations based on what we experienced originally, what we heard about, or what we've seen since (or for the first time). If you read the quotes from the developers, there is literally no way to offer anyone the experience of the story or the missions right now. Work would have to be done, a lot of work. So while the sentiment is admirable — I, too, want to be able to see LS1 again — that's not sufficient to deciding to invest the time and staff to make it happen.

Would you really want to just experience the story done badly? Or run a bugged or overtuned (or undertuned) mission?

The question is: what will it cost to provide something else and what else could be done with those same resources? The devs have made it clear that just doing it all, never mind doing it well, would take all the resources used for the living world... and then some. Given the choice between e.g. LS5 and redoing LS1, they think more people are more likely to get more enjoyment from the former.

The video they gave us in its place does a poor job of explaining anything and is a terrible substitute for the story.No question; I think even ANet has said they agreed it's not close to what they'd like to offer.

@eduardo.1436 said:Title is mostly self-explanatory, it could be temporary/permanent, could be in 2 years from now, could come back once again as temporary content,as a "summer festival" throughout june and july, it could even have the cadence of LW S3/4 in delivery starting right after S4 ends, making more time for next expac. Idk im just sad about its current state :(

There allready IS a summer festival. And its still absent.

What the fuck was the point in building crown pavillion (noobs dont know its new) if its not being used?

Also i am fine with ls1 events as long as they dont give old rewards. Make new ones.

Hell if it means the game will exclude ls1 veterans from new drops so be it.

I could see the various bosses be rebooted and expanded as fractals. Other than that what is it really people want to do with LS1? The story was overall slow and meh. The content was mostly changing the enviroment drastically sprinkled with some events here and there, or meta events that just became a zerg grind. It didn't really deliver on storytelling the way that LS2 and LS3 has.

The best content from LS1 in my opinion that I would truly wish for everyone to experience at some point was the Twisted Marionette event, because that really required some effort on the community to coordinate and complete. Much salt, but good times. :)

Would I like LS1 back? Yes, sure, I'd like that.Do I think it will happen? No. With a small part of it already being placed into Fractals and pretty much all rewards having been made avaiable through other means, it just does not seem likely at all. Add to that what ANet have said about it.... yeah not gonna happen.

Archived