Suggestion: CGI Trailers

for starters, just look at revelation online-people wouldnt even know the name of that game if it werent for its trailers...game is bad but trailers are best......another example is WOW battle of azeroth___meanwhile what do we get??? NOTHING..its a good thing anet gives people in game stuffs as trailers but i think every once in a while we need CGI trailers for attracting new players. Please take this into considerations. (sorry of my bad english)

I rather in-game trailers because I rather see what I'm getting than false advertisement in the form of CGI that never looks or seems as good as the in-game content.Example on what would've been let's say your "CGI Trailer" for something like mounts? I would guess an army of people on a Raptor then they charge into an opposing force and starts to fight with the in-game swipe and maybe some raptors headbutting and biting people or people flinging off the back of their raptor into the air and then jumps into the enemy all "cool action movie" style and slash them with like a greatsword or something?

Yeah... no... in-game. Thanks.

Yeah, I would agree that it would be cool to have good trailers, but I would rather the time and effort be spent on the game itself. Blizzard takes so much money from the players, so it can afford to spend BIG on things like trailers and stuff. Guild Wars 2 is Free to Play, so of course it won't have the amount of money Blizzard and has. The developer for Revelation online - NetEase also has tons of money. Generally, the more $$$ a company has, the higher quality content it can put out, but ArenaNet is doing a very great job. In my opinion, gameplay > game trailers, but I can see why you have this question...I love epic trailers and stuff too, but the overall game is the best :)

@Cronospere.8143 said:They did that in the original GuildWars. although the trailers looked very good in that time. It wasnt anything like ingame.. Same as WoW btw..

Yeah someone in a past topic shown some trailer with Shiro for whichever expansion he came from (Can you tell I'm not a GW1 player yet?), and it looked and felt like the cutscenes from Dynasty Warriors and kind of awesome.But I've seen some of the videos of GW1 and... yeah. I'm not saying GW1 looked bad as it does look fun, but if I had to complare it to it's teaser and the gameplay...And the same for WoW teasers and trailers I saw and the gameplay...

Here's the thing, I would play a game like WoW trailers in a heartbeat as it looks really good.The longest I've played WoW was 20 minutes on that free trial thing and uninstalled it after that.

@acelara orion.4210 said:for starters, just look at revelation online-people wouldnt even know the name of that game if it werent for its trailers...game is bad but trailers are best......another example is WOW battle of azeroth___meanwhile what do we get??? NOTHING..its a good thing anet gives people in game stuffs as trailers but i think every once in a while we need CGI trailers for attracting new players. Please take this into considerations. (sorry of my bad english)

WoW trailers are cool, but they need way more money.You can't compare a game like gw2 and wow in terms of earnings and number of players.

i get it,that budget should go to gameplay and stuffs....but to attract new players CGI trailers are must. most of gamers are habituated seeing CGI trailers. just guess if u were a new player, new to mmo genre(which is dying btw) what would u do??? u would search youtube for gameplay and stuff....that time if that player sees a badass trailer and try our beloved game, im sure that player will be hooked....thats how u attract customers. warframe is free to play game too(COMPLETELY) and just look at its trailers. so cool.

I think CGI trailers are a great way to hype up the game. Star Wars the Old Republic is a cesspit of cancerous nickle and diming but god damn those trailers make me want to play the game every time. GW2 is significantly better (in my opinion) and can do with a bit more investment in their promotion. It just feels like the marketing team has been given the budget of a college student working at McDonalds and are constantly forced to recycle clips just to stay within budget.

Personal preference. I personally thought the WoW Azeroth trailer was beyond garbage. Mostly because it's literally the same thing over and over and over again. Horde and alliance will finally clash hrumdumdrum. As if that ever happened in tbe ladt 13 years in that carebare itemgrind fest.

That said, I think a lot of people (myself included) love the GW2 artstyle. A bit more of that would indeed go a long way. The next release is for LWS4 which will mostly appeal to existing or returning players. Keep the big guns for the expansions.

Having full CGI trailers is a luxury that are costly. They're nice to have, but I rather the money be put to new and better content first and foremost.Ingame trailers has been fine thus far, except maybe the PoF launch trailer which was a bit underwhelming.

That said, I REALLY liked the HoT trailer from Point of No Return.

@Halan.8951 said:

This one!!

Blizzard has a lot of money, so much so that nowadays its CGI videos are comparable to the Pixar movies (it is even rumored that they are able to make movies of that style).The trailers in CGI will always be imprecise, it is more, with the public of today, a good cinematic is what makes buy a game sometimes.And yes, doing a high-quality cinematica such as "battle for azeroth" or Overwatch "Honor and glory" costs a lot of money, something that GW2 currently can not afford.

But who knows, someday could surprise us =)

I don't trust trailers that don't show the actual game, it makes me wonder what they're trying to hide. I'd much rather see a trailer done entirely using in-game graphics, and preferably gameplay footage rather than just cut scenes. Especially for a game I don't already own.

I'm fine with the Living Story trailers just using cut scenes because I don't think those are aimed at potential new players, and existing players already know how the game looks. But if you're promoting your game to new players you should be willing to show it to them.

@Danikat.8537 said:I don't trust trailers that don't show the actual game, it makes me wonder what they're trying to hide. I'd much rather see a trailer done entirely using in-game graphics, and preferably gameplay footage rather than just cut scenes. Especially for a game I don't already own.

I'm fine with the Living Story trailers just using cut scenes because I don't think those are aimed at potential new players, and existing players already know how the game looks. But if you're promoting your game to new players you should be willing to show it to them.

You stayed in the time, nowadays it is common to show you a gameplay before the final cinematic of the game.Or you can also show a presentation trailer in CGI and then show a gameplay of 10 or more minutes.

The opening for Guild Wars: Faction was fun (keep in mind that's from more than 10 years ago):

The opening for core Guild Wars was a bit worse, IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2foBd3NT_s

You have no idea of how many people complained that spell casters couldn't use staves as melee weapons in game, or that warriors couldn't dual wield swords like that.

Oh, and spoilers for PoF...

! The narrator in the original Guild Wars opening is the woman we see fighting with two swords. She has been captured, tortured and brain washed into becoming the Herald of Balthazar that we kill in Path of Fire :anguished:

Frankly, I think trailers like that are a big waste of money. I would rather see trailers like the one for HoT and like the Races of Tyria trailer:

Animated concept art together with in-game footage and a killer soundtrack - that's what I like to see in a trailer.

@Erasculio.2914 said:The opening for Guild Wars: Faction was fun (keep in mind that's from more than 10 years ago):

The opening for core Guild Wars was a bit worse, IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2foBd3NT_s

You have no idea of how many people complained that spell casters couldn't use staves as melee weapons in game, or that warriors couldn't dual wield swords like that.

Oh, and spoilers for PoF...

! The narrator in the original Guild Wars opening is the woman we see fighting with two swords. She has been captured, tortured and brain washed into becoming the Herald of Balthazar that we kill in Path of Fire :anguished:

Frankly, I think trailers like that are a big waste of money. I would rather see trailers like the one for HoT and like the Races of Tyria trailer:

Animated concept art together with in-game footage and a killer soundtrack - that's what I like to see in a trailer.

That stuff is killer, imo. They do it a lot in the LS trailers. A short animation and then footage.As for the other guy, gw1 had great cgi trailers. Especially Cantha’s was awesome.In gw2 i thought the cgi trailer of HoT was awesome, the way that vineserpent towered from the canyon.PoF only got that psychedelic “through the eye” animation, but that was really cool, too

Archived