Unlock servers, and remove fee for transfers. It's time.

Firebaall.5127

I'm more than a bit annoyed that I was forced to leave a relatively populated North American server pairing that had active players during the times I play. The re-linking paired my home world with a server that is a ghost town during the times I choose to play.

This was not my choice, and I don't think I should have to be bound by it. It should be Anet's responsibility to do something to correct it.

Yes, I could pay to transfer, but that's not the point. Anet's future reworking is supposed to try and fix the issues WvW matchups have, but in the mean time I think it's time to remove the server locks and allow free travel at least once after a server pairing.

Pretty unfun Anet.

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Servers won’t be a thing pretty soon. No need to ruin existing matchups further.

Baloney.

You can't just take the position of "well, I'm happy, so screw you" and expect to be taken seriously. So I'm supposed to sit and smell the situation because "soon" is your reason? Explain why I should be subjected to being moved around without my consent to a dead server, while others are allowed to sit behind a locked, unchanging server with a stable player population?

Again....baloney.

@Firebaall.5127 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Servers won’t be a thing pretty soon. No need to ruin existing matchups further.

Baloney.

You can't just take the position of "well, I'm happy, so screw you" and expect to be taken seriously. So I'm supposed to sit and smell the situation because "soon" is your reason? Explain why I should be subjected to being moved around without my consent to a dead server, while others are allowed to sit behind a locked, unchanging server with a stable player population?

Again....baloney.

You’re placing your needs/wants over others. Unlocking server transfers will create issues for everyone.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

You’re placing your needs/wants over others. Unlocking server transfers will create issues for everyone.

Absolutely not.

I am raising the issue over a hugely inequitable situation that affects all the players on my home server that play during the same time I do. I have no duty to be put up on a cross and suffer such a large impacting situation on my gameplay. I went from being able to play in large scale WvW to nearly nothing by comparison.

@Firebaall.5127 said:

Absolutely not.

I am raising the issue over a hugely inequitable situation that affects all the players on my home server that play during the same time I do. I have no duty to be put up on a cross and suffer such a large impacting situation on my gameplay. I went from being able to play in large scale WvW to nearly nothing by comparison.

Your solution is to open up BG and let even more bandwagoning in to the juggernaut that already dominates NA? Because the last relinking doesn't work for you?

@Euryon.9248 said:

Absolutely not.

Your solution is to open up BG and let even more bandwagoning in to the juggernaut that already dominates NA? Because the last relinking doesn't work for you?

Maybe. But his world is linked, so he isn't on BG...

The OP seems to think that linkages are somehow a worse problem this week than last month, when little has changed except the OP has decided that this week is bad for them. The OP asserts, despite contrary historical evidence, that this "new" problem would be addressed by returning the game to how it was at launch: every WvWarrior for themselves, moving at will, as often as they like, without regard to balance or stability.

Most of all, they haven't established that this really makes things better for the community as a whole then letting ANet spend its collective attention on replacing the existing, flawed system with something that makes it easier to set up multiple match ups that are relatively equally balanced.

@Firebaall.5127 said:

Baloney.How so? Are you saying that they are not working on eliminating servers as the building block for match-ups?

You can't just take the position of "well, I'm happy, so screw you" and expect to be taken seriously.

You realize that your position is essentially, "well I'm unhappy so who care about anyone else? ANet should spend extra resources now on eliminating one of the key mechanics that makes it even possible to have semi-reasonable match-ups." The status quo has its problems, but why should ANet divert attention from working on the long term fix to change something that was true last week, 3 months ago, 6 months ago, etc?

So I'm supposed to sit and smell the situation because "soon" is your reason?

How is this any different from the situation 5 months ago?

Explain why I should be subjected to being moved around without my consent to a dead server, while others are allowed to sit behind a locked, unchanging server with a stable player population?Nearly all servers have had some movement. It's slow and usually happens for unusual reasons (e.g. JQ deciding to go AFK to open itself up led to people leaving JQ instead), but it still has happened.

However, that's moot. Even if ANet opened up all worlds and made transfers free, it wouldn't solve the problem you describe: that some of us end up with dynamic & exciting match ups... and some of us don't. Opening worlds would mean that a few bandwagoned worlds with huge queues and a lot of still-emptier worlds. Only those lucky enough to transfer early would benefit. The game used to have free transfers (because "guesting" didn't work yet) and it caused all sorts of issues for WvW; returning to that Wild West sort of situation isn't going to improve things for enough people.

Again....baloney.Only if you haven't thought things all the way through.

@Euryon.9248 said:

Absolutely not.

Ah, you beat me to it; the obligatory open BG meme. I do think it would be entertaining if Anet were to open up all servers and have free transfers like for one match before implementing the restructuring just so we get to see how ridiculous it can get.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:The OP seems to think that linkages are somehow a worse problem this week than last month, when little has changed except the OP has decided that this week is bad for them. The OP asserts, despite contrary historical evidence, that this "new" problem would be addressed by returning the game to how it was at launch: every WvWarrior for themselves, moving at will, as often as they like, without regard to balance or stability.

Most of all, they haven't established that this really makes things better for the community as a whole then letting ANet spend its collective attention on replacing the existing, flawed system with something that makes it easier to set up multiple match ups that are relatively equally balanced.

Baloney.How so? Are you saying that they are not working on eliminating servers as the building block for match-ups?

You can't just take the position of "well, I'm happy, so screw you" and expect to be taken seriously.

You realize that your position is essentially, "well I'm unhappy so who care about anyone else? ANet should spend extra resources now on eliminating one of the key mechanics that makes it even possible to have semi-reasonable match-ups." The status quo has its problems, but why should ANet divert attention from working on the long term fix to change something that was true last week, 3 months ago, 6 months ago, etc?

So I'm supposed to sit and smell the situation because "soon" is your reason?

How is this any different from the situation 5 months ago?

Explain why I should be subjected to being moved around without my consent to a dead server, while others are allowed to sit behind a locked, unchanging server with a stable player population?Nearly all servers have had some movement. It's slow and usually happens for unusual reasons (e.g. JQ deciding to go AFK to open itself up led to people leaving JQ instead), but it still has happened.

However, that's moot. Even if ANet opened up all worlds and made transfers free, it wouldn't solve the problem you describe: that some of us end up with dynamic & exciting match ups... and some of us don't. Opening worlds would mean that a few bandwagoned worlds with huge queues and a lot of still-emptier worlds. Only those lucky enough to transfer early would benefit. The game used to have free transfers (because "guesting" didn't work yet) and it caused all sorts of issues for WvW; returning to that Wild West sort of situation isn't going to improve things for enough people.

Again....baloney.Only if you haven't thought things all the way through.

That's a pretty typical response from you. In terms of how you ignore what people say, and use it as an opportunity to go off on your own narrative or tangent.

I did not state that the linkages were somehow a worse problem as a blanket statement. To claim so, is disingenuous and unfair to the thread. It is a condition that is currently affecting me, and other players due to population (or the lack of it).

If you bothered to read what I typed, instead of rushing to type, you'd have answered many of your questions. If you can't string together why I said "Baloney", then you're not ready to participate in this conversation. Yes, Anet should spend some time fixing this. If you think it's ok to remove a player's normal game experience just because the system is flawed we have no avenue for discourse.

@Chaba.5410 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:

Absolutely not.

Ah, you beat me to it; the obligatory open BG meme. I do think it would be entertaining if Anet were to open up all servers and have free transfers like for one match before implementing the restructuring just so we get to see how ridiculous it can get.

This isn't about "opening BG".

This is about being linked with a server without a choice, and having the game play drastically changed because of it. To put it in perspective, imagine that we had our PVE experience much like WvW:

One day you're able to play normally, finish meta events and enjoy the game with a healthy player population. The next, you're moved to another server without any kind of choice or say, where there aren't enough players to complete events. It's the same thing. The only difference is here you have players saying that it's fine in WvW, because.....

@Firebaall.5127 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:

Absolutely not.

This is about being linked with a server without a choice, and having the game play drastically changed because of it. To put it in perspective, imagine that we had our PVE experience much like WvW:

One day you're able to play normally, finish meta events and enjoy the game with a healthy player population. The next, you're moved to another server without any kind of choice or say, where there aren't enough players to complete events. It's the same thing. The only difference is here you have players saying that it's fine in WvW, because.....

If it isn't about opening BG, then you made a poor choice for topic title.

Imagine you are on a healthy server and then one day everyone on your server transfers to BG due to free transfers but you because you were out of the game when it was open and now it is closed again. Now you don't have enough players to complete events. You didn't have a choice or any say in what the people who left did, did you?

Pretend for a moment that the restructure isn't a thing. Are you unhappy enough with your current link situation to bail? Or are you going to suffer for at least another 8 weeks because it's not quite bad enough to outweigh your cheapness?

It sounds like you aren't completely new to the game, and that you've been aware of the fact that you play on a link instead of a host server for some time. This means you should also be aware that doing so is a gamble, and you just lost with whatever your current link matchup is. C'est la vie.

The restructure isn't going to be happening anytime before the end of this match, so you just need to suck it up, take responsibility for the fact that you haven't previously moved to a host world, and make a decision to stay or go. Is ~$20 worth 2 months of horrible gaming?

@Chaba.5410 said:

If it isn't about opening BG, then you made a poor choice for topic title.

Imagine you are on a healthy server and then one day everyone on your server transfers to BG due to free transfers but you because you were out of the game when it was open and now it is closed again. Now you don't have enough players to complete events. You didn't have a choice, did you?

The title is a solution that can fix the problem and appropriate. Too many people have Reddit disease where they read a tag or headline, and just go ham on the verbal diarrhea, trying to interject what they want to say independent of the conversation or argument at hand.

The difference between your scenario and mine, is that would be the choice of the players. Much like if everybody stopped playing this game, and it died. Nobody is responsible to anybody else. This case however, it is caused by Anet's action through linking. There is a responsibility.

@"Optimator.3589" said:Pretend for a moment that the restructure isn't a thing. Are you unhappy enough with your current link situation to bail? Or are you going to suffer for at least another 8 weeks because it's not quite bad enough to outweigh your cheapness?

It sounds like you aren't completely new to the game, and that you've been aware of the fact that you play on a link instead of a host server for some time. This means you should also be aware that doing so is a gamble, and you just lost with whatever your current link matchup is. C'est la vie.

The restructure isn't going to be happening anytime before the end of this match, so you just need to suck it up, take responsibility for the fact that you haven't previously moved to a host world, and make a decision to stay or go. Is ~$20 worth 2 months of horrible gaming?

Well, to say that it's a "cheapness" issue, is way off the mark, in light of what I spent/spend on GW2. Especially since looking at GW2 efficiency's website is telling me that real money is very well represented on my account. To answer your question, I'm here typing instead of playing...

Are you seriously trying to place the blame on what's happened here on me for being complicit in playing the game when it was satisfactory? Yikes dude. Furthermore, you think it's reasonable to pay Anet to change something they did or "suck it up"? I'm sorry, but that's pure crazy thinking.

The lack of player agency when servers are relinked is a big problem. Hopefully alliances will fix that.

But for now we need to look at the current reality. Would opening all servers and making transfers free create a better WvW experience or a worse one for the majority of WvW players?

Nope.

Does this mean some players suffer? Yes. But Anet can't make everyone happy. They just need to aim to please the largest percentage of WvW players that they can.

@Firebaall.5127 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:

Absolutely not.

Your home world. Presumably you chose that world. Guessing that you have been through one or more pairings previous to this one. Also guessing that not all of your previous pairings were wonderful experiences. What you propose would make all pairings potentially suffer. "It's not fair that during NA prime some servers roll in an omni-blob. I want all servers to run squads less than or equal to 30, because that's how I like to play." /s

@Firebaall.5127 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:

Absolutely not.

This has been happening for 2 years. If you were opposed to this on principle, why haven't you stated this long before now? It seems that it was fine in principle until you personally got stuck in a "bad" linking. I don't see any objective value in what you're proposing.

@"Euryon.9248" said:

This has been happening for 2 years. If you were opposed to this on principle, why haven't you stated this long before now? It seems that it was fine in principle until you personally got stuck in a "bad" linking. I don't see any objective value in what you're proposing.

I have been very vocal about it in the past, so I don't know where you're coming out of left field with that crap. Even so, what's your point? So now that you know I was opposed to it long before, does that make me now right in your eyes? Your logic certainly demands it is. Thanks, I guess?

@Firebaall.5127 said: I'm more than a bit annoyed that I was forced to leave a relatively populated North American server pairing that had active players during the times I play. The re-linking paired my home world with a server that is a ghost town during the times I choose to play.

This was not my choice, and I don't think I should have to be bound by it. It should be Anet's responsibility to do something to correct it.

Yes, I could pay to transfer, but that's not the point. Anet's future reworking is supposed to try and fix the issues WvW matchups have, but in the mean time I think it's time to remove the server locks and allow free travel at least once after a server pairing.

Pretty unfun Anet.

You see, it is a personal problem. Either transfer, or wait till next relink/alliances. That is how WvW is and has been for the last 2 years. Opening all servers for free transfer would create more problems to more players than it would solve. You dont have to be a WvW veteran to understand this...

@Firebaall.5127 said:I'm more than a bit annoyed that I was forced to leave a relatively populated North American server pairing that had active players during the times I play. The re-linking paired my home world with a server that is a ghost town during the times I choose to play.

Why not just transfer to your former linked server, Crystal Desert is open. If you think Northern Shiverpeaks is not good enough for you do it.I'm assuming you are from Darkhaven, because thats the mentality of that server, they wont come out unless they outnumber everyone.

Archived