Unlock servers, and remove fee for transfers. It's time.

Firebaall.5127

@Norbe.7630 said:

@Firebaall.5127 said:I'm more than a bit annoyed that I was forced to leave a relatively populated North American server pairing that had active players during the times I play. The re-linking paired my home world with a server that is a ghost town during the times I choose to play.

Why not just transfer to your former linked server, Crystal Desert is open. If you think Northern Shiverpeaks is not good enough for you do it.I'm assuming you are from Darkhaven, because thats the mentality of that server, they wont come out unless they outnumber everyone.

Oh is that it? He's bitching because he doesn't like the lack of off-hours coverage on NSP?

Did it ever occur to you that DH + NSP could be a good combination in spreading out coverage if DH would just show up and fight in those off-hours instead of bitching about how alone they are and giving up for the next 8 weeks? I wondered why being paired with one of the larger linked servers I was seeing only NSP around and very few people I didn't already know, I was expecting the opposite.

@Firebaall.5127 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Servers won’t be a thing pretty soon. No need to ruin existing matchups further.

Baloney.

You can't just take the position of "well, I'm happy, so screw you" and expect to be taken seriously. So I'm supposed to sit and smell the situation because "soon" is your reason? Explain why I should be subjected to being moved around without my consent to a dead server, while others are allowed to sit behind a locked, unchanging server with a stable player population?

Again....baloney.

No, what's baloney is that you feel entitled to a free transfer even though you've stayed on a ghost town server of your own volition. What if they never implemented the server pairings system? Yep, that's right, your preferred play time on your current server would still be deserted. Before the pairing system, I was on a T8 server - Sorrow's Furnace. Dead last, only active during a few hours a day that I didn't play. So I moved to a T2 server which had activity during my playtime.

Fix the problem yourself.

@Euryon.9248 said:

@Firebaall.5127 said:I'm more than a bit annoyed that I was forced to leave a relatively populated North American server pairing that had active players during the times I play. The re-linking paired my home world with a server that is a ghost town during the times I choose to play.

Why not just transfer to your former linked server, Crystal Desert is open. If you think Northern Shiverpeaks is not good enough for you do it.I'm assuming you are from Darkhaven, because thats the mentality of that server, they wont come out unless they outnumber everyone.

Oh is that it? He's kitten because he doesn't like the lack of off-hours coverage on NSP?

Did it ever occur to you that DH + NSP could be a good combination in spreading out coverage if DH would just show up and fight in those off-hours instead of kitten about how alone they are and giving up for the next 8 weeks? I wondered why being paired with one of the larger linked servers I was seeing only NSP around and very few people I didn't already know, I was expecting the opposite.

DH has been a very good server, despite a lot leaving due to the link system. In the past, we helped Dragonbrand get into solid T1 fights, and lifting other homeworlds out of T4. I'm not the only one pissed over getting paired with NSP due to the dead zone. That's likely why you're not seeing them in game, they choose not to vocalize their anger, and instead just stop playing.

I can see why others don't speak up. The lack of empathy from other WvW players that are comfortable behind their locked populations and Anet's head in the sand tactics over the issue is a wall. I refuse to pay Anet for this, and that's my choice.

@Firebaall.5127 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Servers won’t be a thing pretty soon. No need to ruin existing matchups further.

Baloney.

You can't just take the position of "well, I'm happy, so screw you" and expect to be taken seriously. So I'm supposed to sit and smell the situation because "soon" is your reason? Explain why I should be subjected to being moved around without my consent to a dead server, while others are allowed to sit behind a locked, unchanging server with a stable player population?

Again....baloney.

No he's taking the position of: "It'll be fixed soon, hopefully", but lets not throw in the kill switch and break the game mode just now before they even fix it.

The day they do what OP suggested is the day they gave up on WvW.

@Firebaall.5127 said:

Oh is that it? He's kitten because he doesn't like the lack of off-hours coverage on NSP?

Did it ever occur to you that DH + NSP could be a good combination in spreading out coverage if DH would just show up and fight in those off-hours instead of kitten about how alone they are and giving up for the next 8 weeks? I wondered why being paired with one of the larger linked servers I was seeing only NSP around and very few people I didn't already know, I was expecting the opposite.

DH has been a very good server, despite a lot leaving due to the link system. In the past, we helped Dragonbrand get into solid T1 fights, and lifting other homeworlds out of T4. I'm not the only one pissed over getting paired with NSP due to the dead zone. That's likely why you're not seeing them in game, they choose not to vocalize their anger, and instead just stop playing.

I can see why others don't speak up. The lack of empathy from other WvW players that are comfortable behind their locked populations and Anet's head in the sand tactics over the issue is a wall. I refuse to pay Anet for this, and that's my choice.

So you've "lifted" other servers out of T4 but you're not willing to lift a finger to do the same for NSP? I was actually excited to be paired with DH for the very first time ever, and now they're proving to be a bunch of fair-weather players who will play with anyone except NSP.

This is the flip side of server stacking and bandwagoning. On the one side, you get a behemoth like BG that dominates every week. On the other, you get the bottom-tier servers that are so undercovered that no one wants to help them when they get a chance to, which is a negative feedback cycle that only exacerbates the problem. This is also why free transfers are such a terrible idea; if you won't even play when linked with NSP, who is going to transfer here when they can go to BG or other Tier 1 servers? Your original suggestion is the precise opposite of what needs to be done to solve the imbalance problem.

@"Euryon.9248" said:

So you've "lifted" other servers out of T4 but you're not willing to lift a finger to do the same for NSP? I was actually excited to be paired with DH for the very first time ever, and now they're proving to be a bunch of fair-weather players who will play with anyone except NSP.

This is the flip side of server stacking and bandwagoning. On the one side, you get a behemoth like BG that dominates every week. On the other, you get the bottom-tier servers that are so undercovered that no one wants to help them when they get a chance to, which is a negative feedback cycle that only exacerbates the problem. This is also why free transfers are such a terrible idea; if you won't even play when linked with NSP, who is going to transfer here when they can go to BG or other Tier 1 servers? Your original suggestion is the precise opposite of what needs to be done to solve the imbalance problem.

"Not willing" is not exactly the right phrase. Not much to be done, when there's nobody playing. Those other servers we were paired up with had enough population to do something. What we have now isn't a server pairing, it's an isolation.

I

While I would like to see the major clusterf opening all servers would turn wvw into, it really would just damage it for however long we have left until alliances. Players won't control themselves, they've shown that over and over for 5 years, especially with a free transfer. It could give rise to a 3rd server finally to beat bg and sos, but it would be highly damaging to all servers not in t1.

It sucks that you were relinked with a lesser populated server, but that's no reason to completely break wvw, even though I know my server would come out on the better side of that.

@Firebaall.5127 said:

Baloney.

Again....baloney.

You're supposed to except the situation because free server transfers will ruin more people's time than your single issue. Before I ask for a change to be made, I try to weigh it against the good of the game. What you're asking is bad for WvW.

Where I can see the argument that it may ruin WvW matchups Anet really shouldn't be charging Gems to change servers for something they have announced already they are going to remove later this year, that is super sketchy, not everyone changes servers for WvW, the server transfer fees should be removed, they can just put a clause on it that you will be locked to your current server for WvW thought, I changed servers a few days before they announced that change, but there is no way I would have done that if id known Anet planned that, its like just deleting gems off your account.

@Ok I Did It.2854 said:Where I can see the argument that it may ruin WvW matchups Anet really shouldn't be charging Gems to change servers for something they have announced already they are going to remove later this year, that is super sketchy, not everyone changes servers for WvW, the server transfer fees should be removed, they can just put a clause on it that you will be locked to your current server for WvW thought, I changed servers a few days before they announced that change, but there is no way I would have done that if id known Anet planned that, its like just deleting gems off your account.

The bulk of the responders that are opposed to the OP are apparently concerned about opening all servers for transfers.

I agree with them despite being on a locked server. Servers are locked because they exceed the current population caps that Anet has established.

The gems part for a transfer to an open server? Yeah, I don't really care about that though I won't try to speak for others that have posted in the thread.

As to people that transferred right before the announcement? Well, there was no time to do that without catching SOMEONE in that process.

One thing I do find funny is there are four servers closed that apparently still need links to them, Mag YB SoS FA.We were told BG has about 2x the population of all other servers, so why is the threshold left so low that it's locking five other servers below them.They might as well open those servers, the only one that would have a real threat of a bandwagon to upset everything would be BG, as players would probably do that just for the giggles.

From a Game Director's viewpoint...here's my solution to your request:

The design is based on Newton's Third Law.

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

ANet should:

1. Unlock servers, and remove fee for transfers for 50% Population Level for the [ # 1 Ranked EU & NA servers ].
  2. ANet identifies the Top Active Players based on hours played the past month for the [ # 1 Ranked EU & NA servers ].
  3. ANet Forcibly Moves 50% Top Active Player Population FROM [ # 1 Ranked EU and NA servers ] TO [ Lowest Ranked EU & NA servers].
  4. Players that were Forcibly Moved by ANet are then banned from moving back to the [ # 1 Ranked EU & NA servers ] for 1 month...but allowed to move to any other server of their choice for free.
  5. Players wanting to move from Lower servers still pay to move to any server.
  6. Repeat Monthly (or some other standard period of time).

Keeping it simple so that future upgrades & game mechanics are made easier to implement.

Enjoy,Diku

p.s.Caution - This solution destroys healthy & stable communities in the long-term & has many negative ripple effects. This solution will also seriously limit WvW from being able to evolve as a competitive game mode that consistently engages & entertains players through long-term robust communities that thrive in a self sustaining ecosystem. I would not recommend this solution.

Archived