Unlimited Gathering Tool Update is a nice surprise!

Cyrin.1035

I wasn't expecting them to add any quality of life changes to the gathering tools let alone all that they have with this update. I really like the new features, especially the ability to remove and re-insert the glyph upgrade. I put in the glyph of industry and I'm mining rich nodes way faster.

I also like the ability to change skins, so I don't need to hoard a bunch of my old tools anymore. The tool preview is also a nice touch. Thanks for this update!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@JanNier Kryn Yaren.7968 said:I get fewer sprockets from Watchwork Mining Pick even if it's upgraded, every node used to give me at least one, one with every 3 swings at least not it's less then before sometimes from a single node I get nothing,

I've always had occasional nodes not give a sprocket, and occasional nodes give three. In my experience, one-in-three seems spot on over time.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Ashantara.8731 said:Only that the Glyph Chest is bugged: once you pick up the free one, you cannot buy another one.

EDITED to correct a substantial error on my part:

Hi there. I just checked with the team, and Glyphs are not sold through the Gem Store. You can obtain them through the Black Lion Chests, or undoubtedly will find that players are selling them on the Trading Post.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Only that the Glyph Chest is bugged: once you pick up the free one, you cannot buy another one.Hi there. I just checked with the team, and Glyphs are sold through the Gem Store.

Hi Gaile,

They are not. Before I picked up the free Glyph Container, there was another Gem Store entry of such a Container in exchange for gems. Once I picked the free one up, that other entry vanished.

The only way now for me to acquire them is through BLCs or the TP.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Only that the Glyph Chest is bugged: once you pick up the free one, you cannot buy another one.

Hi there. I just checked with the team, and Glyphs are sold through the Gem Store. You can obtain them through the Black Lion Chests, or undoubtedly will find that players are selling them on the Trading Post.

Could you please also check with the team if other gathering tools will be usable as skin in the future? I'm quite disappointed that that feature is kinda restricted to the unbound tools currently. Would love to be able to use my -tron gathering tools as skin.

Edit: NVM: Had to log into the character with the -tron tools first to unlock them as skin. Felt rather weird. Oo

@"Daroon.1736" said:If Glyphs were craftable, I would agree, but as it is it's yet another money grab.

"Money grab." As if it's wrong for a profit-oriented business to, you know, make a profit. It's a huge benefit for some folks, a fraction of whom will spend extra to obtain more skins, some of whom will spend less. It's a big benefit for some opening BL chests today/this week, as you can get a few hundred gold from some of the glyphs.

And how is "crafting" a glyph less of a "money grab"?

• Anything available for gems can be paid for with gold
  • Anything craftable can be paid for with gold.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Only that the Glyph Chest is bugged: once you pick up the free one, you cannot buy another one.

Hi there. I just checked with the team, and Glyphs are sold through the Gem Store. You can obtain them through the Black Lion Chests, or undoubtedly will find that players are selling them on the Trading Post.

Also, from the blog:

We plan to add more glyphs with future unlimited gathering tools. New bonus effects will be exclusive to the unlimited tool they’re introduced with for a period of time, after which we’ll add them to tradeable Black Lion Chest glyphs and limited-use tools from gathering merchants.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Only that the Glyph Chest is bugged: once you pick up the free one, you cannot buy another one.Hi there. I just checked with the team, and Glyphs are sold through the Gem Store.

Hi Gaile,

They are not. Before I picked up the free Glyph Container, there was another Gem Store entry of such a Container in exchange for gems. Once I picked the free one up, that other entry vanished.

Which is exactly that what Gailes said. They can only be bought in blc, in tool-bundles or in the trading post from other players: "Glyphs can be obtained from the Black Lion Chests in the Rare category, or as part of a bundle with certain unlimited-use gathering tools."The free Chest only give you a free one.

I love this update, but I really hope they add the option to buy just the skin for tools in future. I already have 1 of each unlimited tool (and a 2nd mining pick) and I don't want or need another set, so paying 1,000 gems each and then having to store or delete the tools feels like a waste. If I could pay 500 gems or whatever for just the skin that would be great.

@Xantaria.8726 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:
Before I picked up the free Glyph Container, there was another Gem Store entry of such a Container in exchange for gems. Once I picked the free one up, that other entry vanished.

Which is exactly that what Gailes said. They can only be bought in blc, in tool-bundles or in the trading post from other players: "Glyphs can be obtained from the Black Lion Chests in the Rare category, or as part of a bundle with certain unlimited-use gathering tools."

Read again: I saw another Glyph Chest offer besides the free one before I picked the free one up. Afterwards, it was gone.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

Before I picked up the free Glyph Container, there was another Gem Store entry of such a Container in exchange for gems. Once I picked the free one up, that other entry vanished.

Which is exactly that what Gailes said. They can only be bought in blc, in tool-bundles or in the trading post from other players: "Glyphs can be obtained from the Black Lion Chests in the Rare category, or as part of a bundle with certain unlimited-use gathering tools."

Read again: I saw another Glyph Chest offer
besides
the free one before I picked the free one up. Afterwards, it was gone.

Well that then seems to have been a bugg, since i didnt saw one, nor was it meantioned in the patch notes. The sentenced i posted where from there.

It would have been a nicer surprise, if the system upgrade wouldn't just cheaply recycle Glyphs as term for that system, but use instead a new term word, that is fresh, new and fitting better in that place, like for example Gravures, Stigmas, Grips, Enchantments, Enhancements or Reinforcements.

Please rename that term to make sure, that there won't be in future any mistakes or misleadings with any Glyph-Skills from the Classes in regard with "Glyphs" from gathering tools..

Terms, especialls not Skill Type Terms should not get recycled and be reused as terms for other game mechanics, like Upgrades now for gathering tools.That is simply uncreative...

@Ashantara.8731 said:

Read again: I saw another Glyph Chest offer
besides
the free one before I picked the free one up. Afterwards, it was gone.

Weird. I didn't see another listing for it when I grabbed it on my main account, and I'm not seeing it now on my alt account, either. Plus, as was indicated above, even the news article for it only said they'd be obtainable from the chests or as tool bundles.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Daroon.1736" said:If Glyphs were craftable, I would agree, but as it is it's yet another money grab.

"It's a big benefit for some opening BL chests today/this week, as you can get a few hundred gold from some of the glyphs.

In the interests of accuracy, the above statement should read 'you have a rare chance to get a few hundred gold from some of the glyphs'Statistically, given the Gold or Gem cost of obtaining keys v the chance of obtaining a glyph from a chest, No one is seeing a big benefit.

In response to the 'money grab' comment - Anet's mantra was always that gem store sale items would be cosmetic or provide convenience. Please tell me how a glyph that can only be obtained through the Gem store which essentially provides a free ADDITIONAL source (not available otherwise) of leather/cloth is either of the above?

@Daroon.1736 said:

@Daroon.1736 said:If Glyphs were craftable, I would agree, but as it is it's yet another money grab.

"It's a big benefit for some opening BL chests today/this week, as you can get a few hundred gold from some of the glyphs.

In the interests of accuracy, the above statement should read 'you have a rare chance to get a few hundred gold from some of the glyphs'Statistically, given the Gold or Gem cost of obtaining keys v the chance of obtaining a glyph from a chest, No one is seeing a big benefit.

In response to the 'money grab' comment - Anet's mantra was always that gem store sale items would be cosmetic or provide convenience. Please tell me how a glyph that can only be obtained through the Gem store which essentially provides a free ADDITIONAL source (not available otherwise) of leather/cloth is either of the above?

Easy. Convert your gold to gems.

There's something I'm not sure to understand with thoses glyphs: If I put a glyph on a normal tool (one with a limited life, I mean), will I recover the glyph once the tool is destroyed (like, after mining 100 times), or will the glyph be destroyed with the tool?

@Mork.9532 said:There's something I'm not sure to understand with thoses glyphs: If I put a glyph on a normal tool (one with a limited life, I mean), will I recover the glyph once the tool is destroyed (like, after mining 100 times), or will the glyph be destroyed with the tool?

The article and/or patch notes said you get the glyph back when the tool runs out of charges.

Archived