Can we PLEASE have map bonus reward potions instead of scraps of xp?

I've asked about replacing the scraps of xp "reward" for Daily Achievements in PVE multiple times.. but didn't really have a suggestion of what to replace it with but it makes sense to me to replace it with a potion that advances the reward tracks of the map they're consumed in. This would make it equivalent to the wvw and pvp daily rewards which give reward track potions for completion. Right now sitting at max level, max mastery, with more spirit shards than I know what to do with and the game just throwing tomes of knowledge at me from every angle (PVP, WvW, and even just daily login rewards) I just can't see those scraps of xp as being a reward, they're virtually useless. I don't even save them up for tomes because I get so many tomes and birthday scrolls that I can't even consume them all making a key farmer every week. I literally throw the things away. They're junk.

Would anyone here TRULY be upset by replacing xp scraps and autoconsumed xp in desert/HoT areas for a map bonus reward potion that you could take into a map of your choice and use like the pact supply network map items? Is anyone REALLY counting on that xp to level? This game throws so much xp at you that it wouldn't even be missed.

Thats actually kind of dangerous to the economy for Core Tyria, due to the high value of T6 mat overall. Everything is grossly deflated as is since we're between major releases, and dumping massive amounts of T5 and T6 mats has a long term impact on the overall economy. Not that I like high prices.... but this makes it hard to regain value given how many Core players there are as opposed to expansions. Seeing as they come in chests, this can pretty easy to control on the player side.

What I'd much rather do is them make some kind of practical use for Tomes of Knowledge and excess Spirit shards. Spirits shards have a partial dead end since mastery tracks can block obtaining them; but at the very least ToKs can be used as a currency for something either crafting, guild hall, or WvW related.

Maybe even used to buy a map bonus buff to increase the rate another 5%. It still requires the player to do things, and pose a proper bottleneck to prevent market flooding.

I don't think it's likely that ANet is unhappy with the scraps of mastery. They are meant to make it easier for people to rank up their masteries and occasionally, to level sub-L80 toons. If folks don't need that, no harm done. The more likely scenario is ANet reducing the reward, rather than spending energy trying to figure out how to rebalance for veterans.

@Devildoc.6721 said:Would anyone here TRULY be upset byNo one is ever truly upset by receiving better rewards for doing the same amount (or less work). What people do get upset with is the consequences that result from such a change..

...for a map bonus reward potion that you could take into a map of your choice and use like the pact supply network map items?
That's never going to happen. The point of map rewards is to get people to play in those maps, not to play in other maps to get the rewards.

Is anyone REALLY counting on that xp to level?
Veterans: no, probably not. New players? yeah, they don't have infinite tomes of knowledge and so on. There are frequent complaints about how long it takes to level (even if many of us think leveling in this game is super easy).

Plus, these are scraps of mastery — new people come into the game looking to level their masteries all the time. There are still frequent complaints about how long that takes in HoT (fewer for PoF).

This game throws so much xp at you that it wouldn't even be missed.Not by me, not by you. But also notice all the posts by people who wanted to start getting HoT spirit shards without raiding — those are all people who would miss the XP.

@"starlinvf.1358" said:Thats actually kind of dangerous to the economy for Core Tyria, due to the high value of T6 mat overall. Everything is grossly deflated as is since we're between major releases, and dumping massive amounts of T5 and T6 mats has a long term impact on the overall economy. Not that I like high prices.... but this makes it hard to regain value given how many Core players there are as opposed to expansions. Seeing as they come in chests, this can pretty easy to control on the player side.

What I'd much rather do is them make some kind of practical use for Tomes of Knowledge and excess Spirit shards. Spirits shards have a partial dead end since mastery tracks can block obtaining them; but at the very least ToKs can be used as a currency for something either crafting, guild hall, or WvW related.

Maybe even used to buy a map bonus buff to increase the rate another 5%. It still requires the player to do things, and pose a proper bottleneck to prevent market flooding.

I don't think it'd have that harmful of an effect on the economy. if anything PVP and WvW still throw more valuable rewards at you than any PVE track. WvW and PVP throw mystic clovers at you that are normally an RNG driven or timegated (fractals) gold sink. Right now through the Pact Supply Network vendors you can buy 6 map consumables per day that each give 200 map reward track progress. There's at most 4 dailies and if you do it like, 1 potion is 100 reward track progress (so in essence, the equivalent of doing 1 event) and give 1 potion for the gathering, mystic forger, adventure, bounty, vista, and activity participant achievements, and 2 for the event and jp/minidungeon/dungeon path/world boss achievements.. you'd gain at most.. 600 reward track progress per day extra, the equivalent of completing 6 events in the zone you're interested in, it's really not much, but at least it's more than xp when you're capped, mastery capped, and sitting on a mountain of spirit shards.

I give those figures because 1 wvw/pvp potion is half a reward in their respective tracks, and you get 1 potion for the rare chests for the easier achievements, and 2 potions for the exotic chests for the "harder" achievements. So that works out. 1 map reward potion from a daily would be half a reward. This is much better than the current 1-2/20ths of a reward that we currently get.

@Hashberry.4510 said:I don't mind the scraps, they have their uses. I agree a map bonus pot would be better.

What uses? Occupying an inventory/ bank slot until you get 20 of them to turn into a tome when the game throws tomes at you like candy anyway? it takes 3-4 days to accumulate enough scraps (at least, and thats if you don't get desert or HoT dailies with autoconsumed xp) to make 1 tome. Every 6 days you get at least 1 tome, up to 4 tomes just for logging in, and if you do any pvp or wvw you get tomes thrown at you from every tier of every reward track and in every rank chest.

@Devildoc.6721 said:

@"starlinvf.1358" said:Thats actually kind of dangerous to the economy for Core Tyria, due to the high value of T6 mat overall. Everything is grossly deflated as is since we're between major releases, and dumping massive amounts of T5 and T6 mats has a long term impact on the overall economy. Not that I like high prices.... but this makes it hard to regain value given how many Core players there are as opposed to expansions. Seeing as they come in chests, this can pretty easy to control on the player side.

I don't think it'd have that harmful of an effect on the economy. if anything PVP and WvW still throw more valuable rewards at you than any PVE track. WvW and PVP throw mystic clovers at you that are normally an RNG driven or timegated (fractals) gold sink. Right now through the Pact Supply Network vendors you can buy 6 map consumables per day that each give 200 map reward track progress. There's at most 4 dailies and if you do it like, 1 potion is 100 reward track progress (so in essence, the equivalent of doing 1 event) and give 1 potion for the gathering, mystic forger, adventure, bounty, vista, and activity participant achievements, and 2 for the event and jp/minidungeon/dungeon path/world boss achievements.. you'd gain at most.. 600 reward track progress per day extra, the equivalent of completing 6 events in the zone you're interested in, it's really not much, but at least it's more than xp when you're capped, mastery capped, and sitting on a mountain of spirit shards.

I give those figures because 1 wvw/pvp potion is half a reward in their respective tracks, and you get 1 potion for the rare chests for the easier achievements, and 2 potions for the exotic chests for the "harder" achievements. So that works out. 1 map reward potion from a daily would be half a reward. This is much better than the current 1-2/20ths of a reward that we currently get.

@Hashberry.4510 said:I don't mind the scraps, they have their uses. I agree a map bonus pot would be better.

What uses? Occupying an inventory/ bank slot until you get 20 of them to turn into a tome when the game throws tomes at you like candy anyway? it takes 3-4 days to accumulate enough scraps (at least, and thats if you don't get desert or HoT dailies with autoconsumed xp) to make 1 tome. Every 6 days you get at least 1 tome, up to 4 tomes just for logging in, and if you do any pvp or wvw you get tomes thrown at you from every tier of every reward track and in every rank chest.

Not everyone does PvP and/or WvW, as a matter of fact, most likely the majority don't(in this case the majority being 50.1%, just to use a number), and eventually those Spirit Shards might come in handy for...something, you just never know with Anet...and besides, you can always get more character slots and create even more characters, unless you've already maxed your account.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

Not everyone does PvP and/or WvW, as a matter of fact, most likely the majority don't(in this case the majority being 50.1%, just to use a number), and eventually those Spirit Shards might come in handy for...something, you just never know with Anet...and besides, you can always get more character slots and create even more characters, unless you've already maxed your account.

Waste of money, already have more than i need atm and rarely use half of them. Still. the game literally gives you 10 tomes a month just for logging in. XP is just not an appropriate reward when the game gives you xp for doing everything you can possibly do in game except sitting in bars RP'ing, and if there was a reasonable way to score that and give xp for that I'm sure anet would give xp for that too.

@Hashberry.4510 said:My impression was the OP was looking for something like the 5 percent map reward pots for HoT maps, but for Tyria maps.

No, more like the mapping materials from pact network suppliers, even if only half as effective. The issue with those 5% increased map bonus or 10% increased map bonus things is that they really don't do much. The way the tracks work is 1 event = 100 points, you get a reward every 200 points, and there's up to 8000 points on the reward track before it starts over. In other words, it takes 11 events to notice that you got 6 rewards from the track when normally you'd get 5 and get the 6th on your 12th event. It's a very tiny effect, I think I'd rather run magic find or karma gain or gathering boost (though it's been questioned if Gathering boost even does ANYTHING in the past). I tried the map bonus boost before.. wasn't impressed. I think I'll just run karma considering how fast I'm spending karma (about 32k a day on those map consumables..) when I'm on a map running events for the reward track

@"Devildoc.6721" said:I've asked about replacing the scraps of xp "reward" for Daily Achievements in PVE multiple times.. but didn't really have a suggestion of what to replace it with but it makes sense to me to replace it with a potion that advances the reward tracks of the map they're consumed in. This would make it equivalent to the wvw and pvp daily rewards which give reward track potions for completion. Right now sitting at max level, max mastery, with more spirit shards than I know what to do with and the game just throwing tomes of knowledge at me from every angle (PVP, WvW, and even just daily login rewards) I just can't see those scraps of xp as being a reward, they're virtually useless. I don't even save them up for tomes because I get so many tomes and birthday scrolls that I can't even consume them all making a key farmer every week. I literally throw the things away. They're junk.

Would anyone here TRULY be upset by replacing xp scraps and autoconsumed xp in desert/HoT areas for a map bonus reward potion that you could take into a map of your choice and use like the pact supply network map items? Is anyone REALLY counting on that xp to level? This game throws so much xp at you that it wouldn't even be missed.

Couldn't you have it both ways by just adding a vendor tab to those areas that lets you buy map bonus pots for spirit shards?

@perilisk.1874 said:

@"Devildoc.6721" said:I've asked about replacing the scraps of xp "reward" for Daily Achievements in PVE multiple times.. but didn't really have a suggestion of what to replace it with but it makes sense to me to replace it with a potion that advances the reward tracks of the map they're consumed in. This would make it equivalent to the wvw and pvp daily rewards which give reward track potions for completion. Right now sitting at max level, max mastery, with more spirit shards than I know what to do with and the game just throwing tomes of knowledge at me from every angle (PVP, WvW, and even just daily login rewards) I just can't see those scraps of xp as being a reward, they're virtually useless. I don't even save them up for tomes because I get so many tomes and birthday scrolls that I can't even consume them all making a key farmer every week. I literally throw the things away. They're junk.

Couldn't you have it both ways by just adding a vendor tab to those areas that lets you buy map bonus pots for spirit shards?

Maybe, but currently there's very little use for spirit shards by themselves. Everything you need spirit shards for you need other resources to make useful, like crystals/philosopher's stones, shards, etc. Either that or it costs spirit shards AND another currency that you might not have a lot of. So spirit shards pile up uselessly.

@Devildoc.6721 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:That's never going to happen. The point of map rewards is to get people to play in those maps, not to play in other maps to get the rewards.

Precedent for it already.

That isn't a precedent for converting time spent in other maps. You can convert only 3 rewards per day, not an infinite number.

The proposal in the original post would allow people to spend all day on a HoT map and convert all the 'scraps' they can accumulate to as many rewards as they like in other maps.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:That's never going to happen. The point of map rewards is to get people to play in those maps, not to play in other maps to get the rewards.

Precedent for it already.

That isn't a precedent for converting time spent in other maps. You can convert only 3 rewards per day, not an infinite number.

The proposal in the original post would allow people to spend all day on a HoT map and convert all the 'scraps' they can accumulate to as many rewards as they like in other maps.

No it's not? Where the hell would you get that from. This is for daily achievement xp scraps you can only get a maximum of 6 of those per day from 4 daily achievements.

Nah I still think xp is just not a good reward, since you get xp from everything you do.. The scraps won't even get someone a level, they'll get levels faster just doing map completion than relying on daily achievements and personal story quests.

@Devildoc.6721 said:

Maybe, but currently there's very little use for spirit shards by themselves. Everything you need spirit shards for you need other resources to make useful, like crystals/philosopher's stones, shards, etc. Either that or it costs spirit shards AND another currency that you might not have a lot of. So spirit shards pile up uselessly.

Wouldn't the map bonus potions then be a use for spirit shards by themselves, helping to address that issue?

@Devildoc.6721 said:Right now sitting at max level, max mastery, with more spirit shards than I know what to do with and the game just throwing tomes of knowledge at me from every angle (PVP, WvW, and even just daily login rewards) I just can't see those scraps of xp as being a reward, they're virtually useless.

Could solve both problems with a very simple addition to the Mystic Forge vendors:Spend spirit shards to get a bonus to map reward tracks. Even a 10% bonus (prefer 20% but added with the guild 10% is quite significant) would be work scuttling a few shards from my hoard when I commit to a map.

@perilisk.1874 said:

Wouldn't the map bonus potions then be a use for spirit shards by themselves, helping to address that issue?

If you do that then it WILL have a harmful effect on the economy, as you can pile up spirit shards doing anything then hit a map and instantly complete its reward track without doing events in it. What I suggested is far more limited, it'll reduce the number of events you'd have to do by 6. which if you do that for an entire week, will reduce the number of events needed to complete 1 reward track in a week by half, but you'd still need to do events (the map consumables from pact network supply agents make it so you can complete 1 map's reward track a week without doing any events.. but again.. 1 per WEEK that way so it won't create a big influx of mats)

and my suggestion is more geared towards those who are max level max mastery. Realize that since there's no xp loss in this game or expanding level cap, everyone will eventually reach this threshold where xp is no longer rewarding or something to be sought. It makes no sense to make achievement rewards that are only useful to low level new players. What I suggested would be useful for everyone, since it's materials of a person's choosing depending on what map they use them on and at the very least, it's money which everyone is always going to need.

I appreciate the fact that PvE players can also obtain some tomes of knowledge (20x scraps) outside log-in rewards, but those of us who play PvP/WvW are literally drowning in them, thus eliminating the need for scraps. If there was a vote, I would also choose a map bonus potion (or some alternate reward) instead.

@"Devildoc.6721" said:I've asked about replacing the scraps of xp "reward" for Daily Achievements in PVE multiple times.. but didn't really have a suggestion of what to replace it with

What about gold? Everyone seems to want and need gold. One gold for every 5 or 10 bars of experience completed. That's one way to get people to play more. Hope ANet is reading this. ;)

@Devildoc.6721 said:If you do that then it WILL have a harmful effect on the economy, as you can pile up spirit shards doing anything then hit a map and instantly complete its reward track without doing events in it. What I suggested is far more limited, it'll reduce the number of events you'd have to do by 6.

Oh, miscommunication. I thought we were both talking about potions that increased the rate of map reward gain for events, not potions that just give map reward (but having re-read the original post, I see that's what you meant).

Archived