25 may patch added spyware again and EU regulations

@Urejt.5648 said:Just in case u missed it Anet added spyware again disguised withing new eu regulations politics acceptance.

ArenaNet will absolutely, without question, have consulted theirs, and any action they take is (in the eyes of their lawyers) within the law. If they have technology in the client to detect software used to cheat, or whatever, then they, and their lawyers, believe it is within their rights.

If you disagree I can only recommend that you find yourself a lawyer, and take the matter to the appropriate court. Nothing else, especially not another round of whining on the forums, is going to materially effect the situation.

@Rufo.3716 said:I'm all for getting rid of cheaters but installing software to look at what programs are running on said computer isn't the way of doing it.

That is one of the many ways commercial solutions used by other games do that. Blizzard do that. Riot do that. The various popular shooters do that. Most random MMOs do it. In fact, since it is one of the simpler ways to detect people cheating, and works to catch many people.

It is also not, y'know, mandatory that it be the exclusive way this happens. ANet can use this, and they can apply other methods such as detecting impossible movement, simultaneously!

(Not that we have anything even remotely resembling proof that this has actually been done, of course. OP too busy to demonstrate anything like that...)

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@Rufo.3716 said:I'm all for getting rid of cheaters but installing software to look at what programs are running on said computer isn't the way of doing it.

That is one of the many ways commercial solutions used by other games do that. Blizzard do that. Riot do that. The various popular shooters do that. Most random MMOs do it. In fact, since it is one of the simpler ways to detect people cheating, and works to catch many people.

It is also not, y'know, mandatory that it be the exclusive way this happens. ANet can use this, and they can apply other methods such as detecting impossible movement, simultaneously!

(Not that we have anything even remotely resembling proof that this has actually been done, of course. OP too busy to demonstrate anything like that...)

Yeah. Almost all online games do stuff like this. Most Gw2 players whining about it now almost certainly play other games that do it. But it's a big problem in gw2 and just gw2.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

Yeah. Almost all online games do stuff like this. Most Gw2 players whining about it now almost certainly play other games that do it. But it's a big problem in gw2 and just gw2.

I'm just pleased they rolled their own, and didn't force me to literally install kernel-mode drivers to give the anti-cheat software full control over my machine. Because cough Sony cough that plan never goes terribly wrong.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"Rufo.3716" said:I'm all for getting rid of cheaters but installing software to look at what programs are running on said computer isn't the way of doing it.

Kinda tired of reading "everyone does this so it's okay". No, it's not. But gaming industry is already used to exploiting their position for many years now.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Rufo.3716" said:I'm all for getting rid of cheaters but installing software to look at what programs are running on said computer isn't the way of doing it.

Kinda tired of reading "everyone does this so it's okay". No, it's not. But gaming industry is already used to exploiting their position for many years now.

Kinda tired of having to deal with people cheating in games and getting over without actually playing. If you have a better solution, I'd sure like to hear it. I didn't buy a game to play with cheaters. I don't think cheating, exploiting or hacking is okay.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Kinda tired of having to deal with people cheating in games and getting over without actually playing. If you have a better solution, I'd sure like to hear it. I didn't buy a game to play with cheaters. I don't think cheating, exploiting or hacking is okay.

People are paid for offering security solutions, I see no reason to provide them for free for you :)

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Unninstal the game if you're uncomfortable with it.Btw. if you're using Chrome, Google is gathering as much if not more data than Arena Net, if you have a smartphone, boy... I'm sure you don't have a facebook, twitter or any other social media account and post nothing on it.Anti-cheat software is the most efficient and effective way to deal with hackers and cheats. And it's probably the only one that can do live, automated tracking. All other "security experts" solutions will probably be some sort of "spyware" as you call it.If you play ANY online game you'll have that running on your computer.To be honest i'd much rather have a proprietary anti-cheat (which is what Arena Net is apparently running) than other anti-cheat programs that will invariably try to run 24/7 on your computer.

Archived