Could we get a change to how being "in combat" is determined?

Since mounts have come in and some other actions are blocked while in combat like waypointing, I think it'd be really nice if the rules for how you're determined to be "in combat" could change a bit. I think if you're in a place where a mob can't hit you, and you haven't done damage or taken damage for a period of several seconds you should drop combat so that you can map travel or remount. I remember encountering some situations in Desert Highlands where I got stuck unable to get out of a hole in the ground that I needed to mount my springer to get up, but there were mobs on the floor above me, out of line of sight, that I could not attack nor could they attack me and because they were still within distance proximity to me it kept me in combat. I had to wait until respawns happened on the floor I was on and commit suicide to get out of it which I think is just stupid (because killing the mobs on the floor would have still left me in combat with the mobs above me I couldn't reach)

plus after fighting trash mobs thousands and thousands of times, it becomes just "going through the motions" and you really don't feel like fighting every respawning trash mob on the map just to map travel or mount. If it can't hit you, and you can't hit it. Why should you go completely out of your way to faceroll across the keyboard to kill some trash just so that you can remount?

@"Blocki.4931" said:Îf you're stuck in combat despite not being damaged or having damaged anything for a while, simply go into character select and back in. That puts you out of combat.

I've tried that before and it just logged me back in as dead, so same result. Either way.. should be something that should be handled without a logout or suicide. They can't reach me, I can't reach them, how ware we still fighting and why would them just being nearby prevent traveling or mounting?http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/260/405/cfd.gif

... dunno why markdown won't display the image.. just a link..

I've had that issue, especially where I get knocked off a ledge and then can't get OOC to springer myself back up, which is annoying. It would be nice if mounts weren't so much disabled in combat, as replaced with an interruptible skill with a long cast time.

@Devildoc.6721 said:

@"Blocki.4931" said:Îf you're stuck in combat despite not being damaged or having damaged anything for a while, simply go into character select and back in. That puts you out of combat.

I've tried that before and it just logged me back in as dead, so same result.

...then you were not out of combat, and the monster ate your face, because it was able to damage you. Going through the character select screen while "in combat" flagged does not cause suicide.

YES. They need to do this. Too often I'm waiting around - sometimes indefinitely - to be recognized as not 'in combat' even though nothing is around and I have nothing targeted. Inability to WP when you accidentally end up 'behind' the terrain (for instance on rev it happens fairly often) is also a pain. You have to wait for someone else to come along and kill the mob you were fighting and for the timer to recognize you out of combat. Logging has failed to work, resulted in death or relocation to a distant wp etc. Instead, there needs to be a command to say "check my combat status please" and which releases you if no dmg is being exchanged.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

...then you were not out of combat, and the monster ate your face, because it was able to damage you. Going through the character select screen while "in combat" flagged does not cause suicide.

When you log out and log back in, you can end up in different places than you logged out from. It used to be used as a method to break the map in some locations. In this case logging out while I was on a ledge below a mob that neither I could reach, or the mob could reach me, teleported me up on top of the ledge where the mob could kill me before I fully loaded.

@Devildoc.6721 said:

When you log out and log back in, you can end up in different places than you logged out from.

This is absolutely true. I do not believe it is applicable to the OP, as they didn't describe suddenly, eg, logging back in to be standing in the fire, and that they were dead when they entered the game, not after they came in and got killed. So, I'm pretty confident that is not the root cause here.

I'm open to being wrong, of course.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

When you log out and log back in, you can end up in different places than you logged out from.

This is absolutely true. I do not believe it is applicable to the OP, as they didn't describe suddenly, eg, logging back in to be standing in the fire, and that they were dead when they entered the game, not after they came in and got killed. So, I'm pretty confident that is not the root cause here.

I'm the OP and that's happened to me. Stuck in combat with a mob above me on a ledge out of line of sight, log out, log back in,, I'm up on top of the rock where the mob was and now dead. Yes yes I know go blow a bunch of money on an SSD.

@Devildoc.6721 said:

I'm the OP and that's happened to me. Stuck in combat with a mob above me on a ledge out of line of sight, log out, log back in,, I'm up on top of the rock where the mob was and now dead. Yes yes I know go blow a bunch of money on an SSD.

Nah, that is a perfectly legit complaint, and regrettable. I clearly read your description in a way that didn't reflect the reality of your situation, and I'm sorry.

I'd definitely like to see that specific scenario changed. At the very least, keep me immune to damage until the loading screen goes away, y'know? :)

@Neural.1824 said:I'd like to see a compromise and permanent change. Remove the stupid combat speed completely, and reduce the out-of-combat speed by something like 35%.

Why the hell would you want that? We move slow enough as it is.. You have to use at least a 25% speed increase (out of combat) just to get a natural looking running stride instead of looking like you're wading through cement, and this does absolutely nothing as far as the real problems with being put in combat which is inability to waypoint and inability to mount. The in combat speed penalty IS a pain when you're attempting to do jumping puzzles that have enemies in them but that's a deliberate design choice they make, not something that is unintended or overlooked. I don't think Anet intentionally wants people to get stuck in a hole in the ground where they only way out is to use a springer or waypoint but since they're stuck in combat with a mob they can't hit they can't get out. I think that's just an oversight

@Devildoc.6721 said:

@Neural.1824 said:I'd like to see a compromise and permanent change. Remove the stupid combat speed completely, and reduce the out-of-combat speed by something like 35%.

Why the hell would you want that? We move slow enough as it is.. You have to use at least a 25% speed increase (out of combat) just to get a natural looking running stride instead of looking like you're wading through cement, and this does absolutely nothing as far as the real problems with being put in combat which is inability to waypoint and inability to mount. The in combat speed penalty IS a pain when you're attempting to do jumping puzzles that have enemies in them but that's a deliberate design choice they make, not something that is unintended or overlooked. I don't think Anet intentionally wants people to get stuck in a hole in the ground where they only way out is to use a springer or waypoint but since they're stuck in combat with a mob they can't hit they can't get out. I think that's just an oversight

I actually don't want it. I'd like to see combat speed simply removed and the standard speed set to where it is, but Arenanet clearly thinks there is some need to slow players down, and a compromise is the closest we'll likely ever get.

@Neural.1824 said:

I actually
don't
want it. I'd like to see combat speed simply removed and the standard speed set to where it is, but Arenanet clearly thinks there is some need to slow players down, and a compromise is the closest we'll likely ever get.

That wouldn't work, they'd need to redo most of the jumping puzzles in the game to account for the shorter distances you can jump while at a slower speed. Some jumps as they are already can barely be done without a speed boost, on an Asura you actually don't make the jump you hit the edge then teleport on top of the ledge you were jumping to.

I think they should just allow mounting in combat. Mounts have low HP anyway and mounting up with enemies around can cause instant dismount. With their introduction most open world content can be bypassed already. I also think persistent conditions should not cause you to stay in combat.

@eldrjth.7384 said:I think they should just allow mounting in combat. Mounts have low HP anyway and mounting up with enemies around can cause instant dismount. With their introduction most open world content can be bypassed already. I also think persistent conditions should not cause you to stay in combat.

That would seriously break the game, seriously. Unless you allow enemies to bypass the mount healthbar entirely.

The one annoying thing I find is that you can't equip harvesting tools if in combat. I suspect there is just a blanket can not change any equipment while in combat (I guess to prevent switching to different sets based on each monster?) But the equipment one is a bit mystery, since that does not affect your stats in any way.While I do have permanent tools, I share them among characters, and sometimes I forgot to switch to them and then find I can't. Or before I had permanent tools, I end up using up a tool and can't equip a new one.If the monster is right next to me, then I'll just kill it. But if I ran by/aggrod something and I'm stuck in combat, I find this annoying.

@"eldrjth.7384" said:I think they should just allow mounting in combat. Mounts have low HP anyway and mounting up with enemies around can cause instant dismount. With their introduction most open world content can be bypassed already. I also think persistent conditions should not cause you to stay in combat.

there's no point in a mount healthbar if you can just remount in combat. Really the best solution is considering how "in combat" is determined. Right now you have to have no conditions on you not deal or take damage for a period of time, and have no mobs engaged on you that have hit you with a condition or damage within a certain distance of you for combat to drop. The thing that needs to change is that last condition, because this is a 3 dimensional game so a mob can still be close enough to be considered in combat with you, even though it's on a different floor of an internal space like a building or cave or ship. (ships are particularly wonky, especially sunken ones. the "ship of sorrows" puzzle in straits of devastation you cannot waypoint out pretty much ever because mobs detect you through even the solid decks of the ship because they're at an angle, and so you're in combat from when you first enter the ship until you leave the ship via the same way after looting the chest.. you can't just waypoint out after looting the chest because some mob on a different deck is trying to find you and hit you through the walls, sometimes they just teleport through the walls and are on top of you.)

They have recently changed the AI in my opinion so that stupid trash mobs will follow you for a long time only to finally turn and run as soon as you stop to whack them. They do this even if you have not hit them and the mob never hit you.

I think it's more 'game lengthening' strategy used to combat the imbalance introduced by mounts. It was not like this before.

Archived