Deleted tidal

I think the charr might find it odd, but more because they don't really seem to do romantic relationships at all than because it's a charr and a human. As far as I can tell charr pair up with a suitable partner to have cubs and once they're weaned and into the farahr the adults go their separate ways again. They may keep in touch with each other and the cubs, but they don't live together as a couple, instead a charr's family is their warband.

So a charr choosing to enter into a long-term relationship because they're in love with someone would probably seem very unusual, especially if they can't have cubs. (And in case anyone is wondering Anet have stated several times that none of the races can interbreed. No, not even norns and humans.) It might make more sense to them if the two were in the same guild/Order/other organisation where they could equate it to a mixed race warband.

(Also more generally I think you need to make a distinction between falling in love with someone and finding them attractive or interesting or having a crush on them. Maybe it's just me but it sounds absurd to say that all these woman fall in love with your male character just because he's attractive and famous. It sounds like teens on music forums obsessing over their favourite musicians, which is very different to actually being in love with someone. Also if that's the case then in my experience it's more likely some of them would be insanely jealous of your female charr character and want to do anything they could to break the two up or destroy her/her reputation out of jealousy for stealing "their" man. Seriously, some of the things people will say and do about their crushes actual girlfriend/wife are terrifying.)

@Linken.6345 said:Find it odd that the obsessiveness is only one sided, why cant the human hero be obsessive about the female charr?To be honest this sound like a reverse only men are voilent against women irl thing, but with love obsessiveness instead.

Well think about it, the first male human and female Charr are in love with each other there might be other woman who maybe supposedly be in love the male human hero plus he may have friends are just other guys but ladies as well who maybe as rivals.

Now The male hero could have an obsessive love for the female charr is also a possibility, accept he be trying to prove himself that he worthy to the mate to unnamed female charr by any possible means that won't end with being killed and failing to prove himself.

@"Danikat.8537" said:I think the charr might find it odd, but more because they don't really seem to do romantic relationships at all than because it's a charr and a human. As far as I can tell charr pair up with a suitable partner to have cubs and once they're weaned and into the farahr the adults go their separate ways again. They may keep in touch with each other and the cubs, but they don't live together as a couple, instead a charr's family is their warband.

So a charr choosing to enter into a long-term relationship because they're in love with someone would probably seem very unusual, especially if they can't have cubs. (And in case anyone is wondering Anet have stated several times that none of the races can interbreed. No, not even norns and humans.) It might make more sense to them if the two were in the same guild/Order/other organisation where they could equate it to a mixed race warband.

(Also more generally I think you need to make a distinction between falling in love with someone and finding them attractive or interesting or having a crush on them. Maybe it's just me but it sounds absurd to say that all these woman fall in love with your male character just because he's attractive and famous. It sounds like teens on music forums obsessing over their favourite musicians, which is very different to actually being in love with someone. Also if that's the case then in my experience it's more likely some of them would be insanely jealous of your female charr character and want to do anything they could to break the two up or destroy her/her reputation out of jealousy for stealing "their" man. Seriously, some of the things people will say and do about their crushes actual girlfriend/wife are terrifying.)

Again this not be taken seriously, and the male hero may not even be one of the famous heros just well known enough.

@Telwyn.1630 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:I think the charr might find it odd, but more because they don't really seem to do romantic relationships at all than because it's a charr and a human. As far as I can tell charr pair up with a suitable partner to have cubs and once they're weaned and into the farahr the adults go their separate ways again. They may keep in touch with each other and the cubs, but they don't live together as a couple, instead a charr's family is their warband.

Again this not be taken seriously, and the male hero may not even be one of the famous heros just well known enough.

It's not about how famous he is. The thing which bothers me (and maybe I am the only one bothered by this) is the wording - that fact that you talk about all these women being in love with this guy, who it seems many of them wouldn't even know very well. Love is a very complicated emotion, I don't think it's possible to be in love with someone until you've known them personally for a long time*. It's completely different from finding someone attractive or even thinking you might make a good couple.

Maybe I've just read too much bad fan fiction, but when I see a story where lots of women are constantly falling in love with the male lead my thoughts are it's either a male writers ego trip, fantasizing about all these women who just can't help falling in love with his character. Or it's a very young teenage female writer who hasn't yet had enough experience with sexual/romatic feelings to know that there is a difference between thinking a guy at school/her favourite actor etc. is "SOOO cute and hot and OMG wouldn't we make the cutest couple?" and actually being in love with someone and wanting to spend the rest of their lives together.

In some ways the fault is with the English language for not having more than one word for love (many other languages do) and relatively few for other types of romatic feelings, but it doesn't change the fact that, to me, a story where women are constantly falling in love with this one male character sounds absurd.

*Romantically I mean, I'm not talking about things like parents and children here.

Somewhere between Kyrta and the Shiverpeaks, there exists a Human who has been trying to swoon a Norn woman for the past 6 years. He has failed time and again, and yet still keeps trying. She shoots him down because she has no interest in him. Yet every 10 minutes or so, he take shot... it fails, and he goes back sulk. And if you talk to him, he believes eventually she'll come around. That is a summation of the problem with so much of the romantic fan fiction. A real story and lesson could be learned from this..... but its often written with such unironic earnest, it can't help but seem creepy if you aren't already subscribed to the shipping.

Elsewhere at Drugur's Homestead in the Shiverpeaks exists Erli Ravenfeather. He has a long standing crush on Vastra, who is also at the party there. If you talk to one children in the homestead, they tell you about Erli being a child of Raven, and his insane trapper skills. Yet for all his wit and cunning, hes incredibly shy. So amidst his mumbling about some elaborate plan hes making to impress Vastra, (if Norn) you cut him off and encourage him to just go talk to her. So reluctantly he approaches her, and drums up a conversation about a bunch of flowers growing by his tent. Completely oblivious to the subtext, Vastra recommends using a fire spell to get at the roots, as its a sure fire way to clear out weeds. Slightly dumbfounded at the response, he awkwardly thanks her for the advise and goes back to his spot with a sense of defeat.

Roughly the same type of story, but wildly different in its implications. Guess which sounds less psychotic. :P Plus I'd put more money on the Bram/Rox shipping...... and thats saying something with the amount of "reading into" people did to get there.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:I think the charr might find it odd, but more because they don't really seem to do romantic relationships at all than because it's a charr and a human. As far as I can tell charr pair up with a suitable partner to have cubs and once they're weaned and into the farahr the adults go their separate ways again. They may keep in touch with each other and the cubs, but they don't live together as a couple, instead a charr's family is their warband.

It's not about how famous he is. The thing which bothers me (and maybe I am the only one bothered by this) is the wording - that fact that you talk about all these women being in love with this guy, who it seems many of them wouldn't even know very well. Love is a very complicated emotion, I don't think it's possible to be in love with someone until you've known them personally for a long time*. It's completely different from finding someone attractive or even thinking you might make a good couple.

Maybe I've just read too much bad fan fiction, but when I see a story where lots of women are constantly falling in love with the male lead my thoughts are it's either a male writers ego trip, fantasizing about all these women who just can't help falling in love with his character. Or it's a very young teenage female writer who hasn't yet had enough experience with sexual/romatic feelings to know that there is a difference between thinking a guy at school/her favourite actor etc. is "SOOO cute and hot and OMG wouldn't we make the cutest couple?" and actually being in love with someone and wanting to spend the rest of their lives together.

In some ways the fault is with the English language for not having more than one word for love (many other languages do) and relatively few for other types of romatic feelings, but it doesn't change the fact that, to me, a story where women are constantly falling in love with this one male character sounds absurd.

*Romantically I mean, I'm not talking about things like parents and childre> @Danikat.8537 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:I think the charr might find it odd, but more because they don't really seem to do romantic relationships at all than because it's a charr and a human. As far as I can tell charr pair up with a suitable partner to have cubs and once they're weaned and into the farahr the adults go their separate ways again. They may keep in touch with each other and the cubs, but they don't live together as a couple, instead a charr's family is their warband.

*Romantically I mean, I'm not talking about things like parents and children here.

Yeah I would to explain how this would go in a proper way with just enough realism as well to be believable. If I were to try and make story our of this I have to develop character background as well as everything else that needs to be explained to make it seem possible believable story wise but I have seen bad fanfiction as well so your not the first either.

@"starlinvf.1358" said:Somewhere between Kyrta and the Shiverpeaks, there exists a Human who has been trying to swoon a Norn woman for the past 6 years. He has failed time and again, and yet still keeps trying. She shoots him down because she has no interest in him. Yet every 10 minutes or so, he take shot... it fails, and he goes back sulk. And if you talk to him, he believes eventually she'll come around. That is a summation of the problem with so much of the romantic fan fiction. A real story and lesson could be learned from this..... but its often written with such unironic earnest, it can't help but seem creepy if you aren't already subscribed to the shipping.

Elsewhere at Drugur's Homestead in the Shiverpeaks exists Erli Ravenfeather. He has a long standing crush on Vastra, who is also at the party there. If you talk to one children in the homestead, they tell you about Erli being a child of Raven, and his insane trapper skills. Yet for all his wit and cunning, hes incredibly shy. So amidst his mumbling about some elaborate plan hes making to impress Vastra, (if Norn) you cut him off and encourage him to just go talk to her. So reluctantly he approaches her, and drums up a conversation about a bunch of flowers growing by his tent. Completely oblivious to the subtext, Vastra recommends using a fire spell to get at the roots, as its a sure fire way to clear out weeds. Slightly dumbfounded at the response, he awkwardly thanks her for the advise and goes back to his spot with a sense of defeat.

Roughly the same type of story, but wildly different in its implications. Guess which sounds less psychotic. :P Plus I'd put more money on the Bram/Rox shipping...... and thats saying something with the amount of "reading into" people did to get there.

I found them and that's where I more less came up with the idea of male human x charr, also I already know there no change for a child to be born from such a union.

@Telwyn.1630 said:

@Linken.6345 said:Find it odd that the obsessiveness is only one sided, why cant the human hero be obsessive about the female charr?To be honest this sound like a reverse only men are voilent against women irl thing, but with love obsessiveness instead.

Well think about it, the first male human and female Charr are in love with each be in love.

Now The male hero could have an obsessive love for the female charr is also a possibility, accept he be trying to prove himself that he worthy to the mate to unnamed female charr by any possible means that won't end with being killed and failing to prove himself.

I can't see a Charr having Obsessive Love for anyone. I mean, I can see a Charr having a deep love and respect for someone, and wanting to share their life with someone, but, they strike me as a race of people that won't go trying to fight for their lover, either the other person will be loyal to them or they won't, and if they won't, much like a warband, there is no room in their life for people who they have to question the loyalties of.

@STIHL.2489 said:I can't see a Charr having Obsessive Love for anyone. I mean, I can see a Charr having a deep love and respect for someone, and wanting to share their life with someone, but, they strike me as a race of people that won't go trying to fight for their lover, either the other person will be loyal to them or they won't, and if they won't, much like a warband, there is no room in their life for people who they have to question the loyalties of.

THat would make more sense I agree with you.

Archived