Ls4 into Ls5

Randulf.7614

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am curious to understand just what essential difference, is it just because there will be no more professions mechanics update(aka new elites) to be labeled the "expansion"?

Either way, keeping content with quality is what matters.

I think it's about time, we're saturated with elites and unbalaced professions atm.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:I am curious to understand just what essential difference, is it just because there will be no more professions mechanics update(aka new elites) to be labeled the "expansion"?

I think it's about time, we're saturated with elites and unbalaced professions atm.

It means that there won't be an expansion at all after Season 4, but will be like Seasons 1 and 2.

I'm not sure why they feel the need to differentiate the seasons, in this case. Especially if they don't have a release gap like between S1 and S2. The main reason Season 1 was even called a Season was because they changed design direction, from temporary to permanent content. Since Seasons 3 onward will be of the same design, if there's no gap like there wasn't for going into PoF and S4, I don't get why they feel the need to differentiate it as a new season. Or, for that matter, I still don't get why they feel they needed to close the Joko plot permanently so soon...

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:I am curious to understand just what essential difference, is it just because there will be no more professions mechanics update(aka new elites) to be labeled the "expansion"?

As you prob know, The ls arcs tend to be episodic and free to those logging in. Expansions tend to be paid large content drops with features like elites, bigger maps and bigger scale masteries. The content quantity can be argued to be the same, so a lot comes down to how the package is presented.

Also, Since an expac will cover a large single area, it is likely they feel they need to use ls4 to close of PoF and Ls5 to set up expac 3. Could be the right call to avoid the rushing and lack of plot thread completions plaguing the game

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

It means that there won't be an expansion at all after Season 4, but will be like Seasons 1 and 2.

I'm not sure why they feel the need to differentiate the seasons, in this case. Especially if they don't have a release gap like between S1 and S2. The main reason Season 1 was even called a Season was because they changed design direction, from temporary to permanent content. Since Seasons 3 onward will be of the same design, if there's no gap like there wasn't for going into PoF and S4, I don't get why they feel the need to differentiate it as a new season. Or, for that matter, I still don't get why they feel they needed to close the Joko plot permanently so soon...

Im guessing to sep the arcs into “closing off ls4” and “ prologuing expac 3”. Given our frequent complaints about rushing plots, differentiating arcs allows them to do this, whilst packaging them as purchasable sets via gems. That way anyone who skips pof might have a clearer story to work through. Time will tell tho.

So let me get this straight. They'll go straight to Season 5, without any expansion in-between apparently [which does not bode well at all btw], yet they ended Joko's story early to focus on Kralkatorrik? Why didn't they just expand Season 4, finish the story of Joko and THEN go into Season 5 to finish the fight with Kralk?

@"Ephemiel.5694" said:So let me get this straight. They'll go straight to Season 5, without any expansion in-between apparently [which does not bode well at all btw], yet they ended Joko's story early to focus on Kralkatorrik? Why didn't they just expand Season 4, finish the story of Joko and THEN go into Season 5 to finish the fight with Kralk?

Season 5 is probably leaving Elona behind and starting a new story that will lead into the next expansion. If we get 2-3 more episodes in Season 4, that might be enough to deal with Kralkatorrik or take that story in a new direction. They did say that Season 4 would have an "explosive" finale.

@Ephemiel.5694 said:So let me get this straight. They'll go straight to Season 5, without any expansion in-between apparently [which does not bode well at all btw], yet they ended Joko's story early to focus on Kralkatorrik? Why didn't they just expand Season 4, finish the story of Joko and THEN go into Season 5 to finish the fight with Kralk?We have no idea what the main threat will be in the second half of Season 4 yet (which may be more than exactly 3 chapters). Everyone assumes it'll be Kralk, and that's a reasonable assumption, but we still have no way to kill him and not blow up the world. It may be that the Order of Shadows has a new threat in Elona that will move back north to Tyria, or they are the new threat. Hopefully we'll get a hint next month, maybe in the next week or two...?

As for the numbering of the seasons, I think after they established an overarching narrative to each season (1 being Scarlet, like it or not; 2 is the rise of Mordremoth; 3 is the return of Lazarus/Balthazar), they want to keep the pattern before a season becomes too unwieldly. If there were a hypothetical Season 1 package that could be bought, it'd have over 20 chapters (many of which overlap, like 4 steps in Frost and Fire could be condensed to 1 chapter, and the 2nd SBA release just adding World 2), which is daunting to a new player coming along. 6-8 bite-sized chapters seems easier to digest and catch up on for a few gems.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:I'm not sure why they feel the need to differentiate the seasons, in this case. Especially if they don't have a release gap like between S1 and S2. The main reason Season 1 was even called a Season was because they changed design direction, from temporary to permanent content. Since Seasons 3 onward will be of the same design, if there's no gap like there wasn't for going into PoF and S4, I don't get why they feel the need to differentiate it as a new season. Or, for that matter, I still don't get why they feel they needed to close the Joko plot permanently so soon...Likely a change of focus in the story.

For example, Season 4 ends with us defeating Kralkatorik, and Season 5 begins with us dealing with the rumbling of Jormag and Primordus's minions as they try to collect the energy to reawaken their masters, or something like that.

It didnt need any confirmation, because Mike Z said it very clearly in the vid.

I also think they wouldnt say that if Season 5 would not be near- I guess we are 2 episodes away- 4th ep will be 2nd to last.

I wonder how it leaves the story if there is Season 5 after Season 4.

Seasons end something to begin something else, but with more clarifications for the previous story.

But maybe they just dont want to make anymore expansions?

Season 4 leads to Season 5, Season 5 to 6 etc.

That would mean they wouldnt have money.

They'll probably move to S5 when the main villain of the second part of S4 is defeated. Plus it's likely (or at least I hope so) S5 won't take place in Elona but we'll go somewhere else. S4 will complete Elona, we'll defeat Kralk, and then we'll move on to S5 with a new threat that will lead into expansion 3.

MMORPG.com had an interview with Mike, and it sounds like one of the reasons for LWS4 going into LWS5 is because there are a number of storylines left dangling that need addressed while also needing time to give the players an idea about where the story is going next. So I concur...

Season 4 wrapping up the Elona storylines. Kraalkatorik is still out there, and we just deposed a lich emperor of a territory that has been under his brainwashed yolk for 200+ years. Oops. Sorry about destabilizing the region and its geo-political landscape.

Season 5 is probably preparing for the next expansion.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:I'm not sure why they feel the need to differentiate the seasons, in this case. Especially if they don't have a release gap like between S1 and S2. The main reason Season 1 was even called a Season was because they changed design direction, from temporary to permanent content. Since Seasons 3 onward will be of the same design, if there's no gap like there wasn't for going into PoF and S4, I don't get why they feel the need to differentiate it as a new season. Or, for that matter, I still don't get why they feel they needed to close the Joko plot permanently so soon...Likely a change of focus in the story.

For example, Season 4 ends with us defeating Kralkatorik, and Season 5 begins with us dealing with the rumbling of Jormag and Primordus's minions as they try to collect the energy to reawaken their masters, or something like that.

Season 3 had a "change of focus" really halfway through, and so did Season 1. TBH, the only reason I can think of would be if Season 5 didn't require PoF.

@Randulf.7614 said:Well, especs need to drop for all profs together otherwise it eould be unfair. Plus theyd need to put hero points back i to maps

Most likely is that expacs will continue. There is simply no reason not to do both ls and expacs

There's no need for hero points. Even if you only own Core + PoF, there's over a 300 point excess (core has 214, PoF has ~150 extra). An extra 200 with HoT. TBH, I really want a core elite spec, and I would also like to see HoT and PoF hero challenges be fighting elites rather than champs or veterans and reward 5 points instead of 10 (and add some hero challenges to S3 and S4 maps). But that's me.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:I'm not sure why they feel the need to differentiate the seasons, in this case. Especially if they don't have a release gap like between S1 and S2. The main reason Season 1 was even called a Season was because they changed design direction, from temporary to permanent content. Since Seasons 3 onward will be of the same design, if there's no gap like there wasn't for going into PoF and S4, I don't get why they feel the need to differentiate it as a new season. Or, for that matter, I still don't get why they feel they needed to close the Joko plot permanently so soon...Likely a change of focus in the story.

Season 3 had a "change of focus" really halfway through, and so did Season 1. TBH, the only reason I can think of would be if Season 5 didn't require PoF.

@Randulf.7614 said:Well, especs need to drop for all profs together otherwise it eould be unfair. Plus theyd need to put hero points back i to maps

Most likely is that expacs will continue. There is simply no reason not to do both ls and expacs

There's no need for hero points. Even if you only own Core + PoF, there's nearly a 300 point excess (core has 214, PoF has ~150). An extra 200 with HoT. TBH, I really want a core elite spec, and I would also like to see HoT and PoF hero challenges be fighting elites rather than champs or veterans and reward 5 points instead of 10 (and add some hero challenges to S3 and S4 maps). But that's me.

It did change focus, yes. My thinking is though, changing focus to a whole new story is something we have criticised them on. Hopefully this allows for more a lead in a fuller story. LS4, despite prematurely finishing Joko, still has the Kralk arc so everything is still revolving around PoF. LS3 was too many stories going on

What i would like to see - even if its not a popular opinion - having Kralk as an ally... Why do all elder dragons have to be bad?He is an elder dragon and might be an interesting and wise ally. We do have some kind of history - Glint, his kids... we even had a kind of temporary alliance during the fight against Balthasar. So yeah... what do you guys think?

@"Chay.7852" said:What i would like to see - even if its not a popular opinion - having Kralk as an ally... Why do all elder dragons have to be bad?He is an elder dragon and might be an interesting and wise ally. We do have some kind of history - Glint, his kids... we even had a kind of temporary alliance during the fight against Balthasar. So yeah... what do you guys think?

It seems that the entire metaplot we have been building towards has been essentially this idea: replacing elder dragons with ones that are less "bad" or forces of natural chaos but instead forces of balance and, at the very least, neutral. It's just surprising that we have not really delved yet into how the Pale Tree would factor into this plan. We do not even know if she absorbed any of the ley magic from Mordremoth and Zhaitan.

I'm hoping with LS5 that they break away from their 1 map, 1 episode pace (which, in lightthe latest episode, seems to be creating time/quality problems). Not to say I don't want any maps, but maybe 3 of the larger maps we get with expansions, and 9 story episodes would work better.

Hopefully that way they will also feel a little freer to go back to other core or PoF maps and have some space to do more current events and side quests that make the world continue to feel like time is passing. They can also take some of the extra time and use it to polish existing content that is falling behind current standards.

@"norbes.3620" said:He is discribed as a creature driven by the deepest instincts and i would assume he does not really consider us as equal beings if he is thinking about our existence at all.. wich i doubt.

thats not really Fitting as an ally

It'not necessary for him to be equal - neither Glint nor Kuunavang were equals and still they were allies of our heroes from GW1. They are/were not elder dragons but still powerful enough have "us" as snacks.

@Chay.7852 said:What i would like to see - even if its not a popular opinion - having Kralk as an ally... Why do all elder dragons have to be bad?He is an elder dragon and might be an interesting and wise ally. We do have some kind of history - Glint, his kids... we even had a kind of temporary alliance during the fight against Balthasar. So yeah... what do you guys think?

I think it would be a huge twist in the story. In fact, trying to convert Kralkatorrik has been tried before by the Forgotten. Maybe we will find a way to succeed where they failed? Or maybe we will try and fail, leaving the resolution to the Kralkatorrik story to next season.

Actually it'd be awesome if S5 didn't require PoF and was maybe core content? Like you can play it free (but if you haven't played HoT/PoF it will warn you you're skipping). I think it's a great idea that, every 2 xpacs or so, we get a season that's new maps and story for free so new players can jump in anywhere they want, like they could skip straight to xpac 3 if they wanted.

@"Chay.7852" said:What i would like to see - even if its not a popular opinion - having Kralk as an ally... Why do all elder dragons have to be bad?He is an elder dragon and might be an interesting and wise ally. We do have some kind of history - Glint, his kids... we even had a kind of temporary alliance during the fight against Balthasar. So yeah... what do you guys think?

tbh, if any Elder Dragon becomes an ally, it'd be Jormag. He's the only one who doesn't solely enslave the races but instead works to "convince" (or "seduce") them to taking his corruption. Jormag seems to seek out a world where the strongest thrive, even if they aren't under his control, so he may take the Pact Commander who's killed two Elder Dragons as worth never-corrupting.

Kralkatorrik is pretty much described as greed embodied and Edge of Destiny depicts him with the mentality of "I want it all, and if I can't have it, I'll destroy it", while Primordus is shown to be wanting genocide of mortal races. So neither of them really fit as "evil Elder Dragon turned situational allies".

The DSD as well, possibly, solely due to the utter lack of information on him.

Archived