Acquiring Winters Presence Snow Skin

Craven.9462

So I am working my way through the winters day games aiming to complete the event and get a nice snow skin.The tool tip says you need to make Essence of Snowfall at the mystic forge with snowflakes......ok no problem I think to myself, I have snowflakes.

You need 50 Superior runes of snowfall, 11g each and only 302 available. Like WTF!!!! that is totally bonkers. Talk about an unbalance of achievements. You can do most of them in a week. The 3 collection items will take about 10 years.

N1 ArenaNet, fix your game.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Craven.9462" said:So I am working my way through the winters day games aiming to complete the event and get a nice snow skin.The tool tip says you need to make Essence of Snowfall at the mystic forge with snowflakes......ok no problem I think to myself, I have snowflakes.

You need 50 Superior runes of snowfall, 11g each and only 302 available. Like kitten!!!! that is totally bonkers. Talk about an unbalance of achievements. You can do most of them in a week. The 3 collection items will take about 10 years.

Old problem, nothing new... Those runes used to drop from the gifts at all tiers. Now you can buy the basic tier and have to upgrade. But the achievement was never updated based on the changes to availability. Arena Net doesn't care, it's at least the second Wintersday with this being a problem, and it'll only get worse. These aren't meant for your average player it's meant for those that either farmed a lot of gold, or for the "whales" who'll buy gems with money to trade for gold (almost everything is for the "whales"). Problem is the lack of sources for the sigils will remain.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@"Craven.9462" said:So I am working my way through the winters day games aiming to complete the event and get a nice snow skin.The tool tip says you need to make Essence of Snowfall at the mystic forge with snowflakes......ok no problem I think to myself, I have snowflakes.

You need 50 Superior runes of snowfall, 11g each and only 302 available. Like kitten!!!! that is totally bonkers. Talk about an unbalance of achievements. You can do most of them in a week. The 3 collection items will take about 10 years.

Old problem, nothing new... Those runes used to drop from the gifts at all tiers. Now you can buy the basic tier and have to upgrade. But the achievement was never updated based on the changes to availability. Arena Net doesn't care, it's at least the second Wintersday with this being a problem, and it'll only get worse. These aren't meant for your average player it's meant for those that either farmed a lot of gold, or for the "whales" who'll buy gems with money to trade for gold (almost everything is for the "whales"). Problem is the lack of sources for the sigils will remain.

That is simply wrong. The mystic forge recipes were removed with the rune/sigil patch. The wintersday patch(actually one of the hotfix) added crafting recipes for them. Their source is the same as any other that can be crafted. Upgrading was never really viable either since it would cost too many mystic coins.

Buying the materials and crafting the sigil yourself is a saving of 83g(instant buy) for the set of 50.

The savings are even bigger for the rune at 184g saved for the set of 50.

It is pricey but hardly as pricey as you claim. It cost a total of 943g to make Winter's Presence using buy orders and there is no reason not to use buy orders since it is basically free money for just waiting a bit. That total includes 13g for snowflakes which you'll end up with some just doing wintersday stuff and and 150g for the drinks which is also partially covered by doing wintersday activities. 177g of that is for mystic coins which can be covered by 7.5 months of simply logging in. That brings the cost down to 766g. If during that 7 months you also did your dailies that is another 420g bringing the remainder down to 346g. That is another 6 months for a total of 13.

Logging in everyday and completing the daily is not casual enough? Fine you can skip the dailies and do around 2 sets of fractals a week or any number of equivalent things. That brings the requirements down "someone who is hardcore enough to login daily".

What about these other stuff I want!? They are also expensive!Obviously that will require prioritizing and some plan.

but this is a game! I don't want to do planning and stuff, I just want to have fun.Sorry but I just can't comprehend that mind set.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Craven.9462 said:You need 50 Superior runes of snowfall, 11g each and only 302 available. Like kitten!!!! that is totally bonkers.

Really? ;) Hmm, and I thought it would be
easiest now
(compared to the previous years) since you have a recipe for those available to all and you can thereby craft them yourself.

Yes and no. If you are someone overly hung up about the need to obtain all the items yourself then that is a tentative yes. If looking solely from a perspective of cost then the change has roughly doubled.

@"Khisanth.2948" said:If you are someone overly hung up about the need to obtain all the items yourself then that is a tentative yes.

What does it have to do with "being someone who's hung up on [...]". This is not about preferences, it's about options. And the currently smart option to go with is crafting - it doesn't matter "what you like", it only matters that you achieve your goal the best possible way - and this is it.

@Mystrael.7916 said:what a nightmare , doing this achivement right after the rune/sigil rework and its faillure. it would cost 800+ Gold just for the sigil needed for that. i really hope they will fix rune/sigil crafting

Making Winter's Presence has always cost around 950g.First year or two was the 10k drinks.Now it's balanced between that and the runes/sigils.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Khisanth.2948" said:If you are someone overly hung up about the need to obtain all the items yourself then that is a tentative yes.

What does it have to do with "being someone who's hung up on [...]". This is not about preferences, it's about options. And the currently smart option to go with is crafting - it doesn't matter "what you like", it only matters that you achieve your goal the best possible way - and this is it.

Oh sure you and I might think that but if you hang around here and/or reddit enough you should have seen the "I don't care if it is 10x more expensive! I want to be able to get everything myself instead of any sort of interaction with the TP!!!!". Well at least that is what they claim at the time of posting. I have never cared enough to go track down the post history of people complaining about prices to see if they were also people who made such claims in the past.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Mystrael.7916 said:what a nightmare , doing this achivement right after the rune/sigil rework and its faillure. it would cost 800+ Gold just for the sigil needed for that. i really hope they will fix rune/sigil crafting

Making Winter's Presence has always cost around 950g.First year or two was the 10k drinks.Now it's balanced between that and the runes/sigils.

Which would have been around 800g for the 10k drinks.

@Khisanth.2948 said:but this is a game! I don't want to do planning and stuff, I just want to have fun.Sorry but I just can't comprehend that mind set.Are you suggesting people should plan all year long for a winter's day skin? That's quite ridiculous, it should be obtainable within the period of the festival itself with a moderate amount of effort. This thing is comically over-valued and always has been.

@Deimos.4263 said:

@"Khisanth.2948" said:but this is a game! I don't want to do planning and stuff, I just want to have fun.Sorry but I just can't comprehend that mind set.Are you suggesting people should plan all year long for a winter's day skin? That's quite ridiculous, it should be obtainable within the period of the festival itself with a moderate amount of effort. This thing is comically over-valued and always has been.

No I am suggesting that sometimes and probably most of the times people will have to decide on what that want rather than "all the things".

If you consider it overvalued then that is even simpler. You can and should just ignore it.

@crepuscular.9047 said:funny how new players come to the forum to complain about something just because of the cost to craft a skin, the Winters Presence and Nightfury should be reclassified as Ascended skin with the amount of ascended materials going into it and the converted gold value the crafting materials.

What do you mean reclassify? O_o

Nightfury is already an ascended shoulder. If you mean legendary then that is makes a bit more sense. Making the legendary version of the ardent glorious pauldrons is only 150g and triumphant hero's epaulets is 170g.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"crepuscular.9047" said:funny how new players come to the forum to complain about something just because of the cost to craft a skin, the Winters Presence and Nightfury should be reclassified as Ascended skin with the amount of ascended materials going into it and the converted gold value the crafting materials.

What do you mean reclassify? O_o

Nightfury is already an ascended shoulder. If you mean legendary then that is makes a bit more sense. Making the legendary version of the ardent glorious pauldrons is only 150g and triumphant hero's epaulets is 170g.

was looking at skin :\https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nightfury_Skin

I'm a casual GW2 player, I've had the game since it came out (being a big fan of GW1) and I've got 700 hours total in the game, with a lot of that being played in bursts and not really doing any grinding or end-game activities.

With Wintersday here, I decided to come back once again, and found myself having a lot of fun chasing the achievements, such as Wintersday Traditions, Toy Tonic Tippler and the Wintersday Toy Weapons Collection. However, after getting over 85% of the Winter's Presence achievement completed, I found myself stuck... at a pay wall.One of the trophies required for Winter's Presence is an Essence of Snowball, which requires 50 Superior Rune of Snowfalls to craft. In previous years, these runes were found in gift boxes, however these gift boxes are no longer available and have not been added to the new versions. This means that the only way to acquire these runes is by buying them at the trading post for 10g each.

This means that this achievement is only doable for those who put many many hours into the game, which I personally disagree with.

I would love for the runes to be added to the new gift boxes, or at least give us some way to reasonably obtain them!

Thanks!

It's not even friendly for veteran players. They really need to rethink how they do things like that. At least there's a crafting recipe for them,, even though they need to rethink how they handled those as well (with how rare the salvage drop is just to craft the item) ectos are one thing, you can get them easy by salvaging rares and it's almost always guaranteed, but the drop rate for the material from salvaging runes/sigils is downright ridiculous. I've salvaged hundreds if not over a thousand items since they introduced the change and I've gotten maybe 4 or 5 of the required items.

Archived