KRALKATORRIK'S REAL SIZE

Vyko.6953

And here it is, the moment we all waited for!Now we have THE WHOLE Kralkatorrik. I played the new patch for several minutes only, but I rather spent several hours for correct positioning of Kralk's textures in Cinema 4D, lol.What I figured out first: Kralk's whole body was drastically resized down. I assume it was done just because of the story step when you fly on Aurene with Kralk in the mists, because of the view diestance limitations of game's engine, we would not were allowed to see his whole body.So i took the neck with head model we fought in The Auditorium and resized up the whole body model exactly to its neck and head size. Man, its huge. Its wingspan is 3km long!Here is the comparison of the size of the model used in the story step when you fly on Aurene with Kralk and right sized model according to real size of head and neck we fought in The Auditorium, notice the damaged, Aurene-branded half of the head!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12EcVM_tb6EHvtc8GfkC83sZiysf9A2iP

Maybe you ask why the head isnt branded on the scaled model. Its because I replaced the damaged head with the old undamaged one, so the whole dragon is in perfect condition!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ja1Bw3XgqHlynI1NHJbGl72k-tULbjM7

Now the size comparison of all other dragons in Guild Wars 2:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1apknrie0B0pMFqzsHC1_6r8WZo2Zi9uV

On the right there is Aurene, then Vlast, then dragon champions.As I said, the wingspan is 3 km long and from head to tail he is long 2,29 km.

Ah yes, the thread I was looking forward to.

It felt fairly obvious to me that his model was downscaled for the flight instance. But was it altered for the map too? We don't see his head in the new map so it's hard to tell.

And as for comparisons: What about comparison of Kralk's downscaled model to Zhaitan's (both old partial and final whole)? Almost looks like it'd be about the same size as old Zhaitan.

Need more comparisons! (Or just send me the 3d model files; I can't seem to find sh!t when I browse the gw.dat...)

Would also be interested in seeing Kralk's "proper sized" body overlayed with the lake in the north, to see if his wingspan really would block out the sun. The wings always felt fairly chubby and short.

Just realized that with a wingspan of 3km and length of 2.29 km, the novel's description of him being "1,000 feet tall" feels grossly understated. Which is awesome.

Great work.

For me he looked at his best at the end of PoF. The colourings, the shadowy wings across the landscape - he had a real presence and genuinely struck a certain awe when I looked up and saw him. There was something a tad cartoony about seeing his War Eternal full model with the shortened wings and legs

@Vyko.6953 said:And here it is, the moment we all waited for!Now we have THE WHOLE Kralkatorrik. I played the new patch for several minutes only, but I rather spent several hours for correct positioning of Kralk's textures in Cinema 4D, lol.What I figured out first: Kralk's whole body was drastically resized down. I assume it was done just because of the story step when you fly on Aurene with Kralk in the mists, because of the view diestance limitations of game's engine, we would not were allowed to see his whole body.So i took the neck with head model we fought in The Auditorium and resized up the whole body model exactly to its neck and head size. Man, its huge. Its wingspan is 3km long!Here is the comparison of the size of the model used in the story step when you fly on Aurene with Kralk and right sized model according to real size of head and neck we fought in The Auditorium, notice the damaged, Aurene-branded half of the head!

i don't think you should be comparing it's size through rendering inside programs, but rather look at it's relative size to other things within the same frame.

Anet could make Kalk more bigger visually by not altering its size, but shrink Aurene to a tiny pixel on screen.

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@Vyko.6953 said:And here it is, the moment we all waited for!Now we have THE WHOLE Kralkatorrik. I played the new patch for several minutes only, but I rather spent several hours for correct positioning of Kralk's textures in Cinema 4D, lol.What I figured out first: Kralk's whole body was drastically resized down. I assume it was done just because of the story step when you fly on Aurene with Kralk in the mists, because of the view diestance limitations of game's engine, we would not were allowed to see his whole body.So i took the neck with head model we fought in The Auditorium and resized up the whole body model exactly to its neck and head size. Man, its huge. Its wingspan is 3km long!Here is the comparison of the size of the model used in the story step when you fly on Aurene with Kralk and right sized model according to real size of head and neck we fought in The Auditorium, notice the damaged, Aurene-branded half of the head!

i don't think you should be comparing it's size through rendering inside programs, but rather look at it's relative size to other things within the same frame.

Anet could make Kalk more bigger visually by not altering its size, but shrink Aurene to a tiny pixel on screen.

They could have done just that but that would also mean resizing the overall size of our character models which was probably more hassle to do since would take into account the work of resizing all combinations of differing assets.

I think the approach op has done is better suited for the current approach that ANet took regarding size since it actually works relative to Kralk's expected size if matched with existing model of Kralk's head.

@"Vyko.6953" said:And here it is, the moment we all waited for!Now we have THE WHOLE Kralkatorrik. I played the new patch for several minutes only, but I rather spent several hours for correct positioning of Kralk's textures in Cinema 4D, lol.What I figured out first: Kralk's whole body was drastically resized down. I assume it was done just because of the story step when you fly on Aurene with Kralk in the mists, because of the view diestance limitations of game's engine, we would not were allowed to see his whole body.So i took the neck with head model we fought in The Auditorium and resized up the whole body model exactly to its neck and head size. Man, its huge. Its wingspan is 3km long!Here is the comparison of the size of the model used in the story step when you fly on Aurene with Kralk and right sized model according to real size of head and neck we fought in The Auditorium, notice the damaged, Aurene-branded half of the head!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12EcVM_tb6EHvtc8GfkC83sZiysf9A2iP

Maybe you ask why the head isnt branded on the scaled model. Its because I replaced the damaged head with the old undamaged one, so the whole dragon is in perfect condition!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ja1Bw3XgqHlynI1NHJbGl72k-tULbjM7

Now the size comparison of all other dragons in Guild Wars 2:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1apknrie0B0pMFqzsHC1_6r8WZo2Zi9uV

On the right there is Aurene, then Vlast, then dragon champions.As I said, the wingspan is 3 km long and from head to tail he is long 2,29 km.

How tall is he, just being curious.

Isn't Primordus' head size a bit exaggerated? There is a video on youtube ("Guild wars 2- Traveling inside Primordus Mouth") where the player flies into the open mouth, almost reaching the tounge and Primordus isn't looking that gigantic like on the pictures above..

/Edit: The video from the post below convinced me otherwise, it seems that the Primordus head model continues out of bonds of the map that we can see in the story instance, so this is why it looks that gigantic on the comparison pictures

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:Anyone can use Jormag's tooth to measure the possible size?

I wonder why Anet got so mysterious about Jormag's real looks, never let us see it. Even retconed the dragon under the lake to be Drakkar.

They're not really being mysterious. They just don't want to finalize a design until we get to them. Kralkatorrik, Primordus, Mordremoth, and Zhaitan were all treated the same way.

As for using Jormag's tooth, honestly I've been wanting to in a similar manner to that_shaman guessing Kralk's body by snapping his head on The Shatterer's body, but I've had no luck finding the model via gw.dat browser.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:We've never really seen Primordus in GW2, either- just the tip of his snout. Ditto with Kralkatorrik before PoF. It's not that they're being mysterious about what they look like, just that they don't seem to make that decision until the dragon actually shows up in the story.

We did see his head, and he was shown in GW1 as well.

Kralkatorrik was also shown in some of the cutscenes and was described well in the novel. His sleeping body was also seen in GW1.

We saw the snout- no eyes, no crown of his skull, just the snout. And (again, according to a Guild Chat) it seems ANet has decided that the dragon in GW1 wasn't Primordus after all.

Kralkatorrik was described in the novel when he showed up, which is kinda my point- Jormag hasn't shown up yet. As for the concept art cutscenes... well, actually, if those count,

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:We saw the snout- no eyes, no crown of his skull, just the snout. And (again, according to a Guild Chat) it seems ANet has decided that the dragon in GW1 wasn't Primordus after all.

Minor correction: They said that they did not believe it was ever stated that the statue was Primordus, so they didn't refer to it as reference.

However, it's been brought up - and more properly cited on the wiki now - that it was mentioned a handful of times (more times than what's cited on the wiki but unfortunately those were lost, some to time as websites got taken down), so they may revise Primordus' size and appearance to be more in line with his GW1 appearance if/when we return to Primordus. Since, as you say, we only see the snout. And they did redesign Kralkatorrik after our first encounter to be closer to his GW1 appearance, and changed his size twice (the PoF/Ep4 appearance is larger than Ep5 appearance, which is larger than Ep6's flight instance appearance but on par to Dragonfall appearance).

@"Aaron Ansari.1604" said:We saw the snout- no eyes, no crown of his skull, just the snout. And (again, according to a Guild Chat) it seems ANet has decided that the dragon in GW1 wasn't Primordus after all.

Kralkatorrik was described in the novel when he showed up, which is kinda my point- Jormag hasn't shown up yet. As for the concept art cutscenes... well, actually, if those count,

It's still part of him. That dragon obviously is Primordus, whatelse is it? If it's not then the whole purpose of the last scene of EotN is ruined.

But Jormag wasn't described at all even though many has seen him. Kralkatorrik was also seen in GW1 when he's sleeping.

That's Jormag's shadow, not the image.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:But Jormag wasn't described at all even though many has seen him.

Primordus isn't described either. Nor was Zhaitan, even in Sea of Sorrows really. Only Kralkatorrik was, and that's because it was a heavy focus in Edge of Destiny.

That's Jormag's shadow, not the image.

So is most of the concept art for Kralkatorrik featured in the game, such as the PoF ending.

@Amanda Whitemoon.6173 said:well, the dragons grow when they eat magic right, and primordus in gw1 was basicly at his end of the hibernation cicle, out of magic, so makes sence he is smaller.

That's just a player theory to explain the gross change in Primordus' appearance, using the fact that dragon minions grow when consuming more magic as a basis.