DX12 for GW2. Do yourself a favor, try this out. - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

DX12 for GW2. Do yourself a favor, try this out.

2>

Comments

• @coso.9173 said:
    I saw some comparison videos and pics and didn't really notice much difference sadly 🤔

Visuals changed for me... I'd give it a go anyway to see if it makes a difference .. especially when it's free!

• Bassdeff.1895Bassdeff.1895 Member ✭✭✭

Installed the latest version last night. I haven't been in super high lag areas yet like after you kill the Auric Basin vinetooth and a lot of the areas I visited were still loading up the shader cache. I will need to test it more extensively but so far my game has been running a lot smoother and the things seem to render a lot faster in the areas where the shader caching was complete. Looks promising. I'm curious to seem if I will be able to crank up some some settings and still be able to maintain 30+ in world boos fights and WvW zergfests.

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

installed it, absolutely no difference..

the truth is harsh, my opinions are too.

• CrimsonNeonite.1048CrimsonNeonite.1048 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2020

This helps quite a bit in WvW Zerg fights, LA is alot more stable too, with a Ryzen 3700x, but what makes a big difference is having a Freesync monitor, along with this add-on.

@Bassdeff.1895 said:
    Installed the latest version last night. I haven't been in super high lag areas yet like after you kill the Auric Basin vinetooth and a lot of the areas I visited were still loading up the shader cache. I will need to test it more extensively but so far my game has been running a lot smoother and the things seem to render a lot faster in the areas where the shader caching was complete. Looks promising. I'm curious to seem if I will be able to crank up some some settings and still be able to maintain 30+ in world boos fights and WvW zergfests.

So last night I had some time to do some more extensive testing. When I originally tried it out I was using the in game FPS numbers cause I was short on time and didn't want to bother loading up afterburner. Well, it turns out that the in game numbers are wrong when using D129pxy. For this test I maxed all my settings @1080p cause that is the baseline I previously used when I last upgraded my PC. I test FPS in LA, WvW, world boss events. In LA, used to get between 20 and 25 fps and the game still reports 20 to 25 fps but afterburner reports 60+ (I have fps limited to 60 in nvidia control panel). In meta events and world bosses where fps used to drop down to 10 -15 the game is still report 10-15 but I'm still get 60+ in afterburner. Given how fluid the motion is I would tend to believe the afterburner readings. I noticed a much better utilization of my cpu with the load spread out much more evenly across all cores and CPU usage climbed up to 85% on a few occasions which is something I have never seen in GW2 since I upgraded. So far I am quite impressed with the performance I've been getting. Tonight I will really put it to the test and take it to AB where FPS drops down to 3 when I have everything maxed out.

• Leo.3428Leo.3428 Member ✭✭

@Bassdeff.1895 said:
    Well, it turns out that the in game numbers are wrong

I'm having a hard time guessing why. Could it be that the DirectX replacement interpolates frames? Does it have enough data to do that?

edited February 14, 2020

@Leo.3428 said:

@Bassdeff.1895 said:

I'm having a hard time guessing why. Could it be that the DirectX replacement interpolates frames? Does it have enough data to do that?

I really don't know, I've been trying to wrap my head around how this all work but visuals and responsiveness definitely did not feel like 15 fps during the world boss events. Today I'm testing and afterburner is keeps showing both dx11 and dx12 number overlapping each other so I can't tel;l what the hell I'm getting.

@Bassdeff.1895 said:

@Leo.3428 said:

@Bassdeff.1895 said:

I really don't know, I've been trying to wrap my head around how this all work but visuals and responsiveness definitely did not feel like 15 fps during the world boss events. Today I'm testing and afterburner is keeps showing both dx11 and dx12 number overlapping each other so I can't tel;l what the hell I'm getting.

Forget everything I said, I was playing around at different resolutions and I noticed that Afterburner was displaying 2 sets of numbers (dx11 and dx12)perfectly overlapping each other. It wasn't until I played around with the scaling did it they kind of separate. So everything would have looked like, with both number changing out of sync everything look like a constant 60fps. It just curious to know why it is so smooth it it truly is displaying 20 fps.

• Leo.3428Leo.3428 Member ✭✭
    edited February 14, 2020

LOL. One mystery down. Regarding the smoothness, 20fps at a regular pace looks comfortable compared to a scattered 30fps. Also, even if the game doesn't send more frames, it might now have more time for other calculations such as movements, making the whole smoother - supposing that the game performs several updates in parallel as opposed to cramming everything into one pipeline.

@Leo.3428 said:
    LOL. One mystery down. Regarding the smoothness, 20fps at a regular pace looks comfortable compared to a scattered 30fps. Also, even if the game doesn't send more frames, it might now have more time for other calculations such as movements, making the whole smoother - supposing that the game performs several updates in parallel as opposed to cramming everything into one pipeline.

That makes sense. I toned back my settings to what I usually play and I do get a respectable FPS gain. An extra 5 to 10 on the low end and finally seeing the game use more than 50% of my CPU is a welcome sight.

• I've been trying this for the last few days in my regular routine. Based on an FPS counter and my subjective impression, I want to say it has somewhat increased overall average FPS. It seems like I'm seeing higher frame rates more often.

Unfortunately, the lows remain the same according to the counter. In things like map-capped world bosses such as post-reset Tequatl and Ley Line Anomaly, frame rates dip to the same lows they always did. However, I want to say it doesn't feel as choppy as I remember, and as sluggish as the rates themselves would imply. Even during the lowest frame rates, my CPU and GPU usage still hover around 40-45%. I don't recall what they were prior, but I don't think there has been a huge change.

I was hoping this would help with the lows a bit more and maybe make more use of my seemingly underutilized hardware. But there does seem to be some noticeable improvement, and I have yet to encounter issues besides the initial missing shaders on the character portraits on each startup. Keeping it installed for now.

• Caedmon.6798Caedmon.6798 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2020

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Shao.7236 said:

@galuf.5741 said:
    I run at full fps anywhere and at any time. I've got 64GB ram, an i9, a 2nd gen ssd and a 2080TI. Also, I want to note that most of the time I feel like the youtubers don't run the game nearly as well as I do.

You're not, it's impossible.

You dont get it.

Hes getting full fps.

Full. Fps.

Any time.

Kind of like how you can sit and watch TV. All the TV.

It will be Nvidia's next marketing phrase. "You can play with Full FPS,everywhere at anytime. All the FPS belong to you".

I tried this tool months ago,didnt see much improvement besides slower loading of textures. I think this is only beneficial when you have a potato pc. Or atleast,a Pc that is unable to get "All the full fps everywhere".